Fornaroli Pulls Trigger On Babbel Sacking

If Babel wasn’t in charge last night I still see the same result. Sacking him alone is not going to fix the problem. 

Mcgowan is slower than a wet week and constantly chasing his tail while Jurman can’t play a ball that isn’t sideways or within 2m. Between them they struggle to win an aerial contest despite being two of the tallest on the field and don’t get me started on how often they let the striker drift into open space. Their communication appears nonexistent at times.

Kamau is built like a toothpick and has the ticker of one, god forbid he ever went into a tackle with some commitment. The glass man.

Ziegler is a myth and I’m yet to see him do anything that justifies the hype he receives around here. He’s a poor mans *insert stock standard Aussie A-League DM*... if that.

There’s more chance of finding Maddy McCann than Yeboahs ball control at the moment. He’s more danger to himself than the defence the way he takes it forward. I’d hate to see him walk through a door way, he’s probably hit the frame. God knows what has happened to him, what a serious decline in raw talent it’s been.

I keep hearing how Babbel needs to be the leader of culture within an organisation and getting them going etc etc. None of these above mentioned criticisms have anything to do with that, it’s just players simply playing like shite. 

Russel and Sullivan made an immediate impact of the bench and I’d love to see Tass come back into central defence when he returns.

I’ll throw this point in while I’m at it cause its forever happened regardless of manager, playing personnel or opponent and been the same thing since we entered the competition. The clubs almost at its 8th year of existence and we still can’t take a bloody corner. Either struggles to beat the front post defender or it’s beautifully pitched up into the air for the keeper to calmly grab on the penalty spot with little pressure. I reckon one in two dozen corners for us look somewhat dangerous. It seems to be an inherent WSW trait for some reason.

2 minutes ago, hughsey said:

If Babel wasn’t in charge last night I still see the same result. Sacking him alone is not going to fix the problem. 

Mcgowan is slower than a wet week and constantly chasing his tail while Jurman can’t play a ball that isn’t sideways or within 2m. Between them they struggle to win an aerial contest despite being two of the tallest on the field and don’t get me started on how often they let the striker drift into open space. Their communication appears nonexistent at times.

Kamau is built like a toothpick and has the ticker of one, god forbid he ever went into a tackle with some commitment. The glass man.

Ziegler is a myth and I’m yet to see him do anything that justifies the hype he receives around here. He’s a poor mans *insert stock standard Aussie A-League DM*... if that.

There’s more chance of finding Maddy McCann than Yeboahs ball control at the moment. He’s more danger to himself than the defence the way he takes it forward. I’d hate to see him walk through a door way, he’s probably hit the frame. God knows what has happened to him, what a serious decline in raw talent it’s been.

I keep hearing how Babbel needs to be the leader of culture within an organisation and getting them going etc etc. None of these above mentioned criticisms have anything to do with that, it’s just players simply playing like shite. 

Russel and Sullivan made an immediate impact of the bench and I’d love to see Tass come back into central defence when he returns.

I’ll throw this point in while I’m at it cause its forever happened regardless of manager, playing personnel or opponent and been the same thing since we entered the competition. The clubs almost at its 8th year of existence and we still can’t take a bloody corner. Either struggles to beat the front post defender or it’s beautifully pitched up into the air for the keeper to calmly grab on the penalty spot with little pressure. I reckon one in two dozen corners for us look somewhat dangerous. It seems to be an inherent WSW trait for some reason.

Sacking him alone won't solve the problem but you have to start somewhere.

The problems are obviously much more deep seated and relate to the club as a whole, which is why I think an external review is required.

As far as the team is concerned might have to consider giving young Pagden and one or two other youth players a  start.

9 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Ps. Can someone explain to me what the low pitched droning noise is prior to kick off that makes me want to rip my ears off and why it takes the players 10 mins to appear from the tunnel?

while it didnt bother me too much i am not sure what it was about, i feel it was made to build suspense however if its going on for 10 minutes then it doesnt really build suspense :P

its depressing how we have not been stable for a while, i just want a season or two with stability but i feel a lot needs to change before that happens

41 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Ps. Can someone explain to me what the low pitched droning noise is prior to kick off that makes me want to rip my ears off and why it takes the players 10 mins to appear from the tunnel?

It’s not meant to take as long as it does. It’s meant to be a short segment and then cuts as soon as players come out - but we’re queued too early and players take too long to enter the tunnel.

7 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

No doubt.

And, well done on your performances tonight behind the microphone. Yes, it's loud, but it's professional, and it's actually great to see and hear commentary from actual ground announcers who are fans. 

Thank you mate! I appreciate that and always welcome the feedback anyway! Let’s face it, I am probably too loud 

1 minute ago, blameturner said:

It’s not meant to take as long as it does. It’s meant to be a short segment and then cuts as soon as players come out - but we’re queued too early and players take too long to enter the tunnel.

btw thank you for coming on and answering questions, its always nice to get someone who know's what is going on

14 minutes ago, papersun said:

From the article......^^^^^^........

Whether a club goes local or overseas in appointing a head coach, due diligence still remains key in such a critical appointment. A name, a European title, a distinguished pedigree as a player, all this might catch the eye. But if it comes at the expense of rigorous evaluation – a detailed appraisal of whether said coach is an appropriate fit for said club – then it’s club management that should be in the limelight, not the coaches they dismiss.

31 minutes ago, sonar said:

Whether a club goes local or overseas in appointing a head coach, due diligence still remains key in such a critical appointment. A name, a European title, a distinguished pedigree as a player, all this might catch the eye. But if it comes at the expense of rigorous evaluation – a detailed appraisal of whether said coach is an appropriate fit for said club – then it’s club management that should be in the limelight, not the coaches they dismiss.

i sometimes wonder if we gave Jean-Paul de Marigny the rest of the season as a trial what would happen, honestly couldnt hurt imo but all we know about him is he likes to attack sydney fc players which is a massive plus :P or he could be a caretaker coach till we find someone and at least we dont have to rush finding someone if we do that

that said not rushing doesnt mean its going to be successful

he pretty much looks like Babbel too.......so maybe he has been our coach for weeks pretending to be Babbel

32 minutes ago, sonar said:

I don't mind the club having a go with a foreign coach with some pedigree though. It's worth the risk but time to rip off the bandage now.

5 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i sometimes wonder if we gave Jean-Paul de Marigny the rest of the season as a trial what would happen, honestly couldnt hurt imo but all we know about him is he likes to attack sydney fc players which is a massive plus :P or he could be a caretaker coach till we find someone and at least we dont have to rush finding someone if we do that

that said not rushing doesnt mean its going to be successful

he pretty much looks like Babbel too.......so maybe he has been our coach for weeks pretending to be Babbel

If previous stories in the media are correct he has been the one running the show.....Babbel goes.....he should as well.

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

If previous stories in the media are correct he has been the one running the show.....Babbel goes.....he should as well.

hard to tell what is true and what is just made up by the media tbh, i do agree though that if we keep him then maybe it will just be the same **** as before

6 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

It was once again interesting to see our few penetrating attacks stem from Muller in wide starting positions. Almost as if he would offer more from the wing.... because he's a winger.......

Shocking revelation. If only we'd used our spare allocation we had this week to sign a 10 since we insist on using one.

A-League: Markus Babbel to be sacked following Wanderers emergency meeting

The entire Western Sydney Wanderers coaching staff and playing group have been called in for an emergency meeting which is set to spell the end of Markus Babbel’s time in charge.

Western Sydney Wanderers appear set to sack coach Markus Babbel after the entire coaching staff were summoned to the club’s training ground for an emergency meeting on Monday morning.

With the players absent on a day off in the wake of Sunday night’s 1-0 defeat to Perth, the Wanderers’ patience with Babbel appears to have run out and the German is expected to be dismissed midway through his three-year contract.

It comes with Babbel’s remodelled side languishing near the bottom of the A-League table, four points below the playoffs and with a record of just 10 wins in his 41 games in charge.

The club had been expected to wait until the return from overseas of chairman Paul Lederer, but appear to have been convinced to act by the backlash following the defeat to the Glory.

Babbel’s 41st game in charge ended in a 1-0 loss to Perth, but it should be most notable as his last game at the helm. Not acting immediately would simply be delaying the inevitable, putting off an unpalatable but entirely necessary move.

A weakened Perth side shorn of four significant players still looked inherently more dangerous than the team that Babbel put together and which had carried great hopes for this campaign.

That Bruno Fornaroli’s winner came giftwrapped, courtesy of Patrick Ziegler’s error, just summed up the fragmented and frustrated nature of the Wanderers side that Babbel was given time and money to rebuild.

A crowd of 10,994 was rather more than the club might have feared to watch a side that has won just 10 times in a year and a half under Babbel, and which has rarely set the pulses racing.

FINALS COUNTDOWN

The German is right in claiming that his side is only a small distance from the top six, but that gap is growing by the week — and even if Western Sydney did drag themselves into the finals positions, there is scant evidence they would survive in the playoffs for long.

With almost half the season to go, the club hierarchy are well aware that a new coach would need time to reinspire a squad of undeniable individual quality and yet little collective identity.

Next weekend the Wanderers have a bye, and Babbel promised to use the two weeks to “bring the heads up, work hard in these 14 days. We have to work on our fitness levels, on our structure, and start again.”

After 14 games, those are self-damning words, especially as he went on to reveal that “too many” players lack match fitness under his own regime.

As for structure — for months players have complained of a lack of philosophy, of being expected to attack off the cuff. Against Perth, Nicolai Muller looked tuned into a different channel to his teammates, while Bruce Kamau looked bereft of any confidence.

Babbel’s decision to play Patrick Ziegler as a holding midfielder, meanwhile, backfired when the German defender dallied on the ball and was robbed by Jake Brimmer. Fornaroli raced away with the ball and slotted home the winner.

BABBEL’S BEREFT

Friendly and forthright, Babbel has made for good headlines since arriving here 18 months ago, especially given his ability to curse in his second language.

But in terms of making a decent football team — not so much. His mantra at the start of the season, that there could be no excuses given the use of a brand new stadium and training complex, gives him nowhere to hide now.

The lack of obvious — and available — alternatives, especially those with a knowledge of the Australian football landscape, has probably earned him a stay of execution until now, when the likes of Marko Kurz and Ernie Merrick have already gone.

“I’m a fighter!” Babbel declared twice after the game. But Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer returns from an overseas trip later this week, and must know what he has to do.

1 minute ago, SteveB said:

A-League: Markus Babbel to be sacked following Wanderers emergency meeting

The entire Western Sydney Wanderers coaching staff and playing group have been called in for an emergency meeting which is set to spell the end of Markus Babbel’s time in charge.

Western Sydney Wanderers appear set to sack coach Markus Babbel after the entire coaching staff were summoned to the club’s training ground for an emergency meeting on Monday morning.

With the players absent on a day off in the wake of Sunday night’s 1-0 defeat to Perth, the Wanderers’ patience with Babbel appears to have run out and the German is expected to be dismissed midway through his three-year contract.

It comes with Babbel’s remodelled side languishing near the bottom of the A-League table, four points below the playoffs and with a record of just 10 wins in his 41 games in charge.

The club had been expected to wait until the return from overseas of chairman Paul Lederer, but appear to have been convinced to act by the backlash following the defeat to the Glory.

Babbel’s 41st game in charge ended in a 1-0 loss to Perth, but it should be most notable as his last game at the helm. Not acting immediately would simply be delaying the inevitable, putting off an unpalatable but entirely necessary move.

A weakened Perth side shorn of four significant players still looked inherently more dangerous than the team that Babbel put together and which had carried great hopes for this campaign.

That Bruno Fornaroli’s winner came giftwrapped, courtesy of Patrick Ziegler’s error, just summed up the fragmented and frustrated nature of the Wanderers side that Babbel was given time and money to rebuild.

A crowd of 10,994 was rather more than the club might have feared to watch a side that has won just 10 times in a year and a half under Babbel, and which has rarely set the pulses racing.

FINALS COUNTDOWN

The German is right in claiming that his side is only a small distance from the top six, but that gap is growing by the week — and even if Western Sydney did drag themselves into the finals positions, there is scant evidence they would survive in the playoffs for long.

With almost half the season to go, the club hierarchy are well aware that a new coach would need time to reinspire a squad of undeniable individual quality and yet little collective identity.

Next weekend the Wanderers have a bye, and Babbel promised to use the two weeks to “bring the heads up, work hard in these 14 days. We have to work on our fitness levels, on our structure, and start again.”

After 14 games, those are self-damning words, especially as he went on to reveal that “too many” players lack match fitness under his own regime.

As for structure — for months players have complained of a lack of philosophy, of being expected to attack off the cuff. Against Perth, Nicolai Muller looked tuned into a different channel to his teammates, while Bruce Kamau looked bereft of any confidence.

Babbel’s decision to play Patrick Ziegler as a holding midfielder, meanwhile, backfired when the German defender dallied on the ball and was robbed by Jake Brimmer. Fornaroli raced away with the ball and slotted home the winner.

BABBEL’S BEREFT

Friendly and forthright, Babbel has made for good headlines since arriving here 18 months ago, especially given his ability to curse in his second language.

But in terms of making a decent football team — not so much. His mantra at the start of the season, that there could be no excuses given the use of a brand new stadium and training complex, gives him nowhere to hide now.

The lack of obvious — and available — alternatives, especially those with a knowledge of the Australian football landscape, has probably earned him a stay of execution until now, when the likes of Marko Kurz and Ernie Merrick have already gone.

“I’m a fighter!” Babbel declared twice after the game. But Wanderers chairman Paul Lederer returns from an overseas trip later this week, and must know what he has to do.

where was this from? the entire coaching staff and players group being called in most likely is standard but should be interesting, i am most concerned about who will be coaching us for our next match

5 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Shocking revelation. If only we'd used our spare allocation we had this week to sign a 10 since we insist on using one.

Someone was talking on here about inverting the diamond and going with a CDM and two CM's. 
Surely a good option.  Lets everyone play their natural position and would strengthen the defence. Also takes defensive responsibility (or part thereof) away from Mueller, Duke and Cox.

4 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

where was this from? the entire coaching staff and players group being called in most likely is standard but should be interesting, i am most concerned about who will be coaching us for our next match

DT this morning, the paywalled article people were after ;)

6 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

Calling the players into the office on their day off? If it was just the coaching staff I'd say that would be normal, but the whole playing group?

Might be better informed forumites who can she light on standard practice @Taurus

3 minutes ago, SteveB said:

DT this morning, the paywalled article people were after ;)

thank you, i assumed it was some paywall bullshit that you helped us with

3 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Calling the players into the office on their day off? If it was just the coaching staff I'd say that would be normal, but the whole playing group?

Might be better informed forumites who can she light on standard practice @Taurus

i wonder what input they want from the players, hell i wonder even if all the players backed babbel if they would stick with him because i honestly cant imagine that but again i am not going to pretend to know the inner workings behind the club

4 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you, i assumed it was some paywall bullshit that you helped us with

i wonder what input they want from the players, hell i wonder even if all the players backed babbel if they would stick with him because i honestly cant imagine that but again i am not going to pretend to know the inner workings behind the club

Not saying you were wrong at all. More that someone here is going to know more than me or most of us about standard practice. Even @FCB (come back to us!) 

I wonder who made the choice to pull the trigger on acquiring Cox last week since there was no way this was on JT/Lederer's to-do list for this week. Grabbing a striker when you essentially have no manager is an odd move. Honestly it just sounds to me like the club doesn't really know where it is going

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic