mack

Markus Babbel Sacked

55 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Bring back Gorman he has proven to create the right culture, just look at what he done with the sharks going from drug cheats to a respected club again. 

No community feel anymore just a dull corporate feeling with plenty of junk mail flogging corporate or sales crap. 

A serious review needed in all aspects of operations then implement some changes. 

Spot on

I seriously hope that this will turn out to be the right decision, if we were to hire someone and the same thing happen again as the last two coaches I worry about how much further we can fall as a club. 

76x76
01/21/2020 / 11:05 a.m.
Reading time: 9 minutes

EXCLUSIVE Munich - Only four wins from 14 games. Markus Babbel was released at the Western Sydney Wanderers on Monday. In the SPORT1 interview, he speaks about the reasons.

When Markus Babbel calls back, it is just before midnight in Germany.

"Sorry, but I was able to sleep a little longer today," says the 47-year-old and laughs. Despite his leave of absence as coach of  the Australian A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers, Babbel is in a good mood.

In the first interview after leaving Australia , he  talked to SPORT1 about the club's decision, a return to Germany and a job at Bayern .

SPORT1: Mr. Babbel, how surprising was the discharge for you?

Markus Babbel: That came as no surprise. A big compliment to those responsible for trying so long to get the curve with me. But the results were simply missing. The path was clearly in the right direction. Such a decision is not surprising unless the points are scored. That's football.

SPORT1: Sounds like a rational separation ...

Babbel: We are all old enough and know how the business works and that's it. At the beginning I explained to the boys how I work, namely cleanly and honestly. The reactions of the people in the club to my leave of absence were absolutely positive, that's no talk. I just noticed that everyone had a lot of fun with me. When I said goodbye, I felt a lot of emotions. I noticed that I left footprints. It wasn't just a business relationship, it was more. And then it's just nice to get such a reaction from everyone. We all get out of this story well and clean.

Babbel: "I had to reassure the board"

SPORT1: You are an emotional type. Not sad at all?  

Babbel: I am sad because I enjoyed working with my staff and I really enjoyed working with the boys. We'll all meet again on Saturday, which shows how we tick and what the relationship was like. It will be a nice stroll with everyone at the start. It was a great personal experience. The President found it extremely difficult to inform me of the decision. He couldn't really look me in the eye. I had to calm him down and just said, "John ( CEO John Tsatsimas, d. Ed .), Don't worry . I know how it works." At some point you have to pull the rip cord. 

Test DAZN for free and experience international football highlights live & on demand  | DISPLAY

SPORT1: What do you wish your team?

Babbel: Maybe my assistant Jean Paul de Marigny, who has now been installed as a trainer, has that little bit of luck that I was missing. The club focuses on the youth and I went along this path. I tried my best to implement it. But you have to know Australian football. There are also difficulties when you look at the other teams. Other clubs like last year's champions Perth Glory or Melbourne Victory don't play with so many talents from the amateurs. But I hope that the path with this philosophy will continue in Sydney.

Babbel released in Australia: What remains with you personally?

Babbel: I had a great time at the club. What I haven't had in the past few weeks was the fun of our performance on matchday. That will have been the same for Marco ( German coach Marco Kurz , who was fired at Melbourne Victory last week ). It was almost like playing in the open air. There were decisions that cost us the job. There were situations when you asked yourself, 'What does the referee see?' The level of the games is far from being comparable to the Bundesliga. I might have made it another year, but the referees' achievements are marginal. And the football level is poor. Now I can say it without being punished for it.

Babbel explains freaking out

SPORT1: In your farewell message via Twitter, you thanked the media. In the end, you freaked out at a press conference because the media were too wrong for you. 

Babbel:I had a good working relationship with the TV journalists. They evaluated and analyzed the whole thing fairly and critically. And with a lot of respect, I have no problem with that either. I know how my job works and it's normal for me to be criticized. Only there was a print journalist who tried to hit the club extremely badly and attacked my assistant coach. That was call murder. That was not possible. Either I have information and it's puncture-proof or not. But if he only gets it from hearsay, I find it difficult to speak seriously to a journalist. And when one of my people approaches me, I defend it. It's like my family. In addition, the journalist was also a member of city rival FC Sydney. He just tried to report polemically. 

SPORT1: And there was a limit for you ...

Babbel: You have to be careful as an Australian journalist. You have a pen, but for many it is like a weapon. Like in Australia, there are not many clubs like in Germany, where a journalist can go to another club. In the A-League it is very limited with eleven clubs. After that there is no more professional football. And if you try to break up such a journalist, then he has huge problems finding a job again. And I tried to make this man understand that this is not possible.

SPORT1: Were you surprised by your freaking out?

Babbel: I wasn't surprised at myself. If my family, in the case my assistant, with whom I have worked very closely and trustingly, is attacked without facts, I can be completely different. I always try to be very polite, friendly and respectful with people, but if I get no respect back, I freak out.

SPORT1: What mistakes did you make?

Babbel: I'll throw the first stone if I haven't made any mistakes. I certainly made mistakes, but after a day I ask for your understanding that I am not taking stock of the big picture. Only now I need some time to think about everything. Football is very different. There is the salary cap, there are other ways of getting foreigners, and I was able to help bring this still young club forward. There is still a lot going on. I don't want to do without so much experience. 

SPORT1: Critics say Markus Babbel has never been consistently successful. How big is the scratch now? 

•  

Babbel: I am very grateful for this section. I got to know a lot of great people. I was treated with a lot of respect and hopefully I was able to give something back. You can discuss the length of time a trainer stays. It's usually a year. I had been in Sydney for a year and a half, before that in Lucerne for three and a half years. At Hertha BSC they really wanted to extend with me, I didn't want to, and at the beginning of my coaching career at VfB Stuttgart I lacked a license. Only at Hoffenheim it didn't work out. It is too cheap for me if the critics only look at my stations without knowing the background.

Babbel does not rule out assistant coaching at Bayern

SPORT1: Is the Bundesliga an option for you again?

Babbel: The Bundesliga is of course an incentive, especially if you saw it here in Australia. In Germany there are so many great clubs with a great history. But it also has to fit. It's not easy to get in there. Australia has also opened my horizons for other things. 

SPORT1: Marco Kurz wants to stay in Melbourne for a few months, then back to Munich. What about you?

Babbel: We will stay here for the time being until May because I don't feel like the bad weather in Germany at the moment. I don't need that right now. In May we will then come back to Germany, I pitched my tents in Weinheim. It was clear from the start that we would go back to Germany. I need better football again.

SPORT1: If you have been head coach for years, you no longer become an assistant coach. Except at Bayern? 

Babbel: (laughs) Assistant coach at Bayern? I can't answer that right now. It depends on the situation. Who will be head coach from summer and what are the general conditions under him? Of course I would not rule it out.

“Maybe my assistant Jean Paul de Marigny, who has now been installed as a trainer, has that little bit of luck that I was missing.“

And that’s what it boils down to really. JPM needs  ‘luck’ otherwise nothing changes. Maybe it will be the luck of the Irish, but I fear not.

Why sack the organ grinder and keep the monkey?

Might just be the wonky translations, but there are a few observations there ^^^ that might raise eyebrows.

2 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

“Maybe my assistant Jean Paul de Marigny, who has now been installed as a trainer, has that little bit of luck that I was missing.“

And that’s what it boils down to really. JPM needs  ‘luck’ otherwise nothing changes. Maybe it will be the luck of the Irish, but I fear not.

Why sack the organ grinder and keep the monkey?

Hmmm...it was about more than bad luck, though.

And we can keep Gumby away from the club.

Tactically inept and two-faced 

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hmmm...it was about more than bad luck, though.

My point. It WAS more than bad luck. And JPM was part of it all. So the only way really this changes if he gets lucky, real lucky.

Hence organ grinder, monkey...

34 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

Maybe it will be the luck of the Irish

Irish history not one of your strong points I take it.

13 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Irish history not one of your strong points I take it.

Now which is it? Sarcasm or irony? I always get the two mixed up.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Might just be the wonky translations, but there are a few observations there ^^^ that might raise eyebrows.

Doesnt rate the football here at all..v poor.

Was probably going to leave himself at seasons end anyway and return to Germany. Wanted decent football.

Bossi..no surprise there. Babbel is in Sydney until May and so lets hope their paths cross at some point :D In front of Babbels car he will be hoping :D

Edited by Smoggy

7 hours ago, mack said:

"I need better football again."

Sums it all up really.

Was Babbels heart really in it you ask if the quality of football dragged him down.

On 20/01/2020 at 1:19 PM, 1988banana said:

@mathyouwsw u reckon he's a clown too

@1988banana, no...I just think you're one.

The comment about quality football sums it up for me.

I had thought for a while that MB was really struggling to get his message across to the aussie members of the squad - we have all seen duke, kamau, yeboah, jurman play a hell of a lot better at other a-league clubs. I think this was even more the case with the young guys.

I remember a game last season when i sat in the side stands quite close to the pitch where I could see some of the interactions between players & bench. It was one of the first games where we went to 3 at the back. Tass was at centre back & tate at wing back and the level of confusion between them was huge, constantly going and then stopping, not sure who to mark, conversations at every dead ball, bench yelling out instructions to them. They clearly had no idea what they were meant to be doing.

Of course meier and zeigler not coping with the conditions/physicality hurt as well but 3 good visa players has been enough at times in this comp but I reckon the heart of this issue was MB not being able to get the local players confident to play how he wanted them to play.

29 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Doesnt rate the football here at all..v poor.

Was probably going to leave himself at seasons end anyway and return to Germany. Wanted decent football.

Bossi..no surprise there. Babbel is in Sydney until May and so lets hope their paths cross at some point :D In front of Babbels car he will be hoping :D

Wish it had worked out, a throughly decent man, who was open and honest (too much so for some)

9 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

The comment about quality football sums it up for me.

I had thought for a while that MB was really struggling to get his message across to the aussie members of the squad - we have all seen duke, kamau, yeboah, jurman play a hell of a lot better at other a-league clubs. I think this was even more the case with the young guys.

I remember a game last season when i sat in the side stands quite close to the pitch where I could see some of the interactions between players & bench. It was one of the first games where we went to 3 at the back. Tass was at centre back & tate at wing back and the level of confusion between them was huge, constantly going and then stopping, not sure who to mark, conversations at every dead ball, bench yelling out instructions to them. They clearly had no idea what they were meant to be doing.

Of course meier and zeigler not coping with the conditions/physicality hurt as well but 3 good visa players has been enough at times in this comp but I reckon the heart of this issue was MB not being able to get the local players confident to play how he wanted them to play.

It paints a sad picture for Australian football doesn’t it? But we have too many athletes and not enough footballers. Yeboah, Sotirio etc all can run fast and all day, have decent strength but lack the situational awareness 

Edited by StringerBellend

39 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

Now which is it? Sarcasm or irony? I always get the two mixed up.

Actually it's sarcasm using irony. I refer you to Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal which I believe has/is an excellent example of Irony and Sarcasm in an Irish History setting.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Loved the section on the print journo 

No idea who it could be though. 

should never be let near the club 

if he wants to be a cheer squad for shelveyville then fine

Edited by StringerBellend

23 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Actually it's sarcasm using irony. I refer you to Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal which I believe has/is an excellent example of Irony and Sarcasm in an Irish History setting.

👍

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Was Babbels heart really in it you ask if the quality of football dragged him down.

Well...he knew it wasnt  the B L before he came, surely.

He was here to make the standard of football better ...for one club at least.

He didn't.

Now...I'm irritated by him again. 

:angry::angry:

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Wish it had worked out, a throughly decent man, who was open and honest (too much so for some)

Yes. :angry:

:):)

Brilliant interview. Obviously the quality of the a league is poor compared to the bundesliga and the quality difference would be a major adjustment for a manager moving between the leagues. I found most interesting his point about Wanderers enforcing the focus on youth, making it difficult to compete with Glory, Victory (and obviously East Sydney) who field all experienced players. Popovic totally avoided using young players in our early successful years. The focus on developing players may pay off for the club later if a transfer system is brought in, but I fear it will prevent us from competing with the best teams now. Ideally a reserves comp would be a better place to develop players. Lastly, if it was Babbels intention to only stay for 2 seasons then it is more understandable that he has been cut now, with the current performance trajectory making it look unlikely that we will feature in the finals.

I don't believe that when he is saying the level of football he is just referring to the player's skill level. I think he means the the A league as a whole,  fixtures, salary cap, referees , VAR etc etc

I am not surprised and he had a go at the standard of the A-League but I think he held back and I think he will have more to say when he gets the chance.

He falsely claimed Dom Bossi, the journalist who wrote the story in the Sydney Morning Herald, was a member of Sydney FC.

:rofl: