Markus Babbel Sacked

33 minutes ago, mack said:

Crittenden or Wilkshire. I can't see any foreigner who actually has success at the level we would want that would want to come here. Which leave us with somehow poaching one of the coaches in the "why would they want to join us list" (which would probably cost Lederer more money than he and the board would want to spend) or looking to successful NPL coaches.

And we drastically need a technical director to drive the links between the first team, youth and juniors and help sort out this cap, because watching SFC pile up talent every year without getting any cap issues is giving us a massive handicap.

Agree with the summation. Any candidates for TD?

I had a look at the players we have on our books to see what Babbel had to work with.  The split up this year is:-

16 players 22 or younger with only Baccus, Moudoukoutas, Wilmering and possibly O'Doherty (last season) having been successful starters.

2 players between 23 and 27 ie., Kamau and Yeboah both of whom are of dubious quality and in my view not A-League quality starters.

13 players 28 or older.

During his time here Babbel had 5 players out for up to a year with major injuries.  Ziegler, O'Doherty, Snake, Wilmering and Majeuski.

As I said on 442 to me this seems quite an unbalanced squad with the club's emphasis on youth resulting in not enough mature, skilled  Australian players and by having to use one of the import spots for a keeper resulted in us being light on in outfield imports.

The questions that come to my mind are:-

Who sets the balance of the squad as far as inexperience/experience is concerned?

With Babbel not having local experience who sourced the locals?

Why did we end up with so few in one of the prime age groups ie., 23to 27?  Why were there no quality players in this age group?

If the club is going to continue with its emphasis on youth what are they going to do to accelerate the development of our academy players so they are fully ready for the A-League by the time they are 20?  Both the NPL competitions and the YL are too short.

Thoughts.

A top a-league squad under the current cap potential should consist of a starting 11 that includes at a minimum 4 high quality foreign players alongside 7 hardened Australian pros at or near their prime (or 5 + 6 if you are certain you've found 5 top notch foreign players), your attacking players must score ~30 goals between them with another ~10 coming from the rest of the squad, your defence should concede between 0 to 1 goals per game while your attack scored 1 to 2 goals per game, and on your bench you have one good Australian attacking midfielder who still doesn't take up too much cap room and a youth keeper also not wasting cap space.

Now that we can have 7 subs on the bench you have 5 left after that keeper & amc, and you fill the rest with youth. If one of those happens to be a good sub striker then that's a bonus. And you buy those players based on a pre-existing system and formation that you've hopefully already got bedded down at least one season and that you rarely if ever need your young players coming on to try and rescue a losing position or take a win from a drawing position.

If you go with 4 foreigners then your goal is to save cap room to bring in a foreigner in a position you need in January, knowing you only need to pay them for at most 6 months. 

And then you just hope you don't suffer too many bad injuries.

Compare to WSW.

We had three senior goalkeepers of which two were useless and two youth keepers.

Our backup attacking mid ended up being Grozos not Sullivan because Radi got an ACL from McGowan in training and then we rushed in Muller who isn't an attacking mid to play there and then Sullivan himself got hurt.

Instead of a fully hardened pro solid backline, we had Wilmering and one of our foreigners (Ziegler) was coming back from a long-term injury and didn't play a full 90 until round 5

Babbel abandoned the system he'd spent months preparing.

Our foreign striker was a total flop and actively hurt the team because of his slowness.

Our subs have been near useless at improving the team.

If we score at the same pace we'll barely hit 30 goals in total let alone 30 goals from the attacking players, while the defence is on pace to concede a goal and a half per game.

On 25/01/2020 at 11:04 PM, hawks2767 said:

Out ******* standing

From Wilkie Crescent Doonside to Wanderland :xnod:

He as at the youff game on Saturday & we had a good chat about this matter & a couple of WSW lads he's mentoring

4 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Just checking in to see if there's any progress in the rumour ???

I arrived 25 mins or so into youth game on Sat, as JT was preparing to leave, possibly to attend another football function 

He was in a hurry to depart, but changed his course to come over & say g'day, whilst I was walking through the car park.

I reminding him that a D.O.F would be a positive move & should be considered. I made mentioned of a guy with an identical 1st name to mine, that may be interested should the club advertise for same.

He indicated that he wasn't certain that the appointment a D.O.F. would necessarily make the role of C.E.O. any easier. That probably relates to PL's involvement in the process more than anything. 

It may not be an easy sell to JT or the board, as they would have to put their trust in the individual & take a step back from some important football decisions. 

I'm sure we'll revisit that convo, in coming days / weeks.

11 minutes ago, Taurus said:

He as at the youff game on Saturday & we had a good chat about this matter & a couple of WSW lads he's mentoring

Do any of the Laws have Con Boutsianis helping them? He could help shoot

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Do any of the Laws have Con Boutsianis helping them? He could help shoot

Nah, they are fringe players, who are not contracted to WSW (other than being NYL players) atm 

2 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Nah, they are fringe players, who are not contracted to WSW (other than being NYL players) atm 

I have heard him talk about bio-mechanics and repetition with regard to shooting at goal. 

On 24/01/2020 at 8:57 PM, mack said:

Crittenden or Wilkshire. I can't see any foreigner who actually has success at the level we would want that would want to come here. Which leave us with somehow poaching one of the coaches in the "why would they want to join us list" (which would probably cost Lederer more money than he and the board would want to spend) or looking to successful NPL coaches.

And we drastically need a technical director to drive the links between the first team, youth and juniors and help sort out this cap, because watching SFC pile up talent every year without getting any cap issues is giving us a massive handicap.

Convince Kevin the bloody animal Muscat to abandon his OS sojourn & come back to Oz to lead us to the promised land, with either AD, Critto or Wilshere as his trusted deputy's.

I also throw a name in from left field.

A Spanish #9 who played with WSW in recent years, who is passionate about & loves the club, will return & coach us in the AL or N2D one day. He has held his Pro coaching license for about a decade. Unfortunately he had the misfortune of having to play under 'that fool' Gumby, but it hasn't diminished his respect for our fledgling club & most of the people that work within it. 

6 hours ago, Taurus said:

Convince Kevin the bloody animal Muscat to abandon his OS sojourn & come back to Oz to lead us to the promised land, with either AD or either Critto or Wilshere as his trusted deputy's.

I also throw a name in from left field.

A Spanish #9 who played with WSW in recent years, who is passionate about & loves the club, will return & coach us in the AL or N2D one day. He has held his Pro coaching license for about a decade. Unfortunately he had the misfortune of having to play under 'that fool' Gumby, but it hasn't diminished his respect for our fledgling club & most of the people that work within it. 

Riera? 

ABJ Comment from Herald, yes he is a nob but sadly this season is proving he has a point.

"I knew at Sydney FC, things are different, the mentality, the culture, everything is just about winning and winning games, and trophies. I don't know if I expected that we would win 12 of the first 14 games, which is really not easy, but everyone is really happy at the moment and I think you can see this on the pitch.""

He’s only changed his tune because he was told there’s no place for him to drop names and be a flog at Sydney otherwise it was goodbye. Heard a funny story about it. He’s still just as much a wanker, they’re just doing so well at the moment that what they say goes and he has no choice but to listen.