New Wanderers Head Coach?

I’m sure Mack will shut this down if he has other plans but interested in thoughts on next direction - the time for mourning in done 😁

Is would like to see JP given at least 4 games not sure if he is any good and unless others are buying into media speculation not sure if any of the rubbish published few weeks ago has legs. 

if he doesn’t work out I’d like to see a local coach maybe Scott Miller have listened to him on  few pods might be option. 

I don’t want Sven or Guus who is just a whore To anyone with cash - prefer a local coach 

37 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I’m sure Mack will shut this down if he has other plans but interested in thoughts on next direction - the time for mourning in done 😁

Is would like to see JP given at least 4 games not sure if he is any good and unless others are buying into media speculation not sure if any of the rubbish published few weeks ago has legs. 

if he doesn’t work out I’d like to see a local coach maybe Scott Miller have listened to him on  few pods might be option. 

I don’t want Sven or Guus who is just a whore To anyone with cash - prefer a local coach 

What would be the point of 4 weeks, if we've dropped our coach we'd better have a plan

I reckon local is the way.  Young guy who is committed to coaching as a career, has a philosophy and is more training ground coach than manager. 
I'll throw some names out as I had earlier. Not an endorsement, just a discussion starter (but feel free to slate me anyway as there are some stupid names here.)

Crittenden ,Scott Miller, John Aloisi, Arthur Papas, John Anastadias (spelling?), Ufuk Talay (at end of season with Davila in tow), Damien Mori, Paul Okon, Gary Van Egmond,Luke Wilkshire, John Hutchinson, Harry Kewell, Tony Vidmar, Joe Montemurro, ... probably heaps more. 

14 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

I reckon local is the way.  Young guy who is committed to coaching as a career, has a philosophy and is more training ground coach than manager. 
I'll throw some names out as I had earlier. Not an endorsement, just a discussion starter (but feel free to slate me anyway as there are some stupid names here.)

Crittenden ,Scott Miller, John Aloisi, Arthur Papas, John Anastadias (spelling?), Ufuk Talay (at end of season with Davila in tow), Damien Mori, Paul Okon, Gary Van Egmond,Luke Wilkshire, John Hutchinson, Harry Kewell, Tony Vidmar, Joe Montemurro, ... probably heaps more. 

Why not consider this Labi’s half season interview?

For that matter, Heff, Meggsy and Catherine Cannuli are also putting themselves firmly in the shop window with the W League this year. The ladies are certainly playing some attractive football right now. 

The club has some very promising young coaches in the ranks. Let JP take the brunt of the rest of this **** show of a season. No point ruining someone with promise when they can quietly continue to learn their craft in the background while JP takes the heat. 
All of our early success was with a newly minted first team coach after all. No reason that can’t happen again with the right person. 

2 hours ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

No to Aloisi, Okon, Kewell and Van Egmond for me.

In all serious Mark Crittenden seems like a decent manager and potentially a realistic pickup.

We’re basically in the same position Sydney were when we entered the A-League.

They’d burned through Lavicka, Crook and Farina which made it great fun to mercilessly take the piss out of the state they were in. All the while they kept claiming they were the biggest and richest club in the league which made it even funnier. 

They had to do something to change and bought Arnie in, in what was probably the greatest move for the club. The rest is history.

We need an Arnie level signing otherwise I can’t see this circus ending anytime soon.  It already concerns me that they sacked Babbel without any real ace up the sleeve, or just something in the works, based on Lederer’s statement. I’m not holding my breath but I am hoping that I’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

We’re basically in the same position Sydney were when we entered the A-League.

They’d burned through Lavicka, Crook and Farina which made it great fun to mercilessly take the piss out of the state they were in. All the while they kept claiming they were the biggest and richest club in the league which made it even funnier. 

They had to do something to change and bought Arnie in, in what was probably the greatest move for the club. The rest is history.

We need an Arnie level signing otherwise I can’t see this circus ending anytime soon.  It already concerns me that they sacked Babbel without any real ace up the sleeve, or just something in the works, based on Lederer’s statement. I’m not holding my breath but I am hoping that I’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Arnie-but-not-Arnie level please

One thing that has to be looked at when we appoint a new coach is why we seem to always be so unfit? I think for the last 5 or so years we have been one of the least fittest teams in the league. We are also one of the teams that always loses a lot of 50/50 challenges. But that perhaps has a lot to do with the fitness, as well as being a motivational issue.

I would like to see us appoint an Australian coach. We need someone who is strong minded and has that self confidence and belief in doing things their way. Someone who knows the area and can handle the club politics, and is also young / raw enough to be able to want to learn more and improve as a coach. Almost Popa like in his first few years. I would choose Rudan honestly. Probably not a popular choice here, but I just get the feeling he has that enthusiasm and energy the club needs from a coach.

Anyway whoever we choose will feel the pressure. There is a pressure still there, even if the club has sunk to rock bottom. 

I posted this in the other thread for Potential candidates to replace Babbel and my pros/cons on them, I have also added a few more potential candidates on top:

Ernie Merrick
Pro: He wouldn't accept a caretaker's role but he would accept the job if its long term. He would have the resources to recruit players he wants I think we would see some stability and some style in our plays.
Cons: I don't think he will give youth players a chance and I am just not sure if he would consider coming to us.

Dean Heffernan 
Pros: He's done an amazing job with our W-League team, what he has instilled to our girls is amazing, making them understand what it means to play for our club, what it means to be a Western Sydney Wanderers player, if he were to coach our team, he would bring Michael Beauchamp across and would still prefer to have Labi there as well, all 3 players were part of Popa's success in our first 3 season, he knows what our culture is and know what it means to play for our team
Cons: the step up from W-League to A-League is massively different, have a look at Alen Stajcic, brilliant coach for women's football but not doing too well with the Mariners and that's where the risk is for Heffernan. I don't know how he will be like under pressure but I think the job will be too big for him to fill 

Paul Okon
Pros: He plays a possession type football, like Popa and likes to keep the ball moving. He has a good eye for talent, he's very knowledgeable and will be very keen to play youth players
Cons: He was a dismal failure at CCM, won't last a season with us when things get hot, he's an NPL coach at best 

Kenny Lowe
Pros: He's a character and a good man-manager, and like Ernie, he would have the luxury to recruit players he wants, signed some brilliant players at Perth. He would likely play some of our youth players.
Cons: He has struggled to get the best out of his players and his team have been inconsistent when he was manager at Perth. 

John Aloisi
Pros: After his stint with Heart, he took a break, learned to be a better coach, coaching Brisbane they became one of the best attacking teams in the league, he has somehow got the best out of Taggart and Maclaren when they were both at Roar. He is very likely to utilise our youth players.
Cons: He's short tempered, easily falls out with his coaching staff and club management. He doesn't deal well with pressure. He doesn't fit in with our culture.

Harry Kewell
Pros: Coached overseas, did ok for Notts county and Crawley Town despite some circumstances, he would have a good understanding of the culture of the club, Very likely to play youth players, has a huge hatred/dislike for Robbie Slater
Cons: Has no respect for the A-League, probably will not get the respect of the players, unlikely to last a season as coach.

Aurelio Vidmar:
Pros: Brought in one of the best style of plays in the A-League, took Adelaide to the ACL final, has a very good ability to identify talent locally and internationally, he is very likely to play youth players and will back the youth players.
Cons: Doesn't seem have any interest in coming back to the A-League and if he were to come back, he will go back and coach Adelaide. If he were to coach us, I think he will butt heads with our management and walk out if he doesn't get what he wants like he did at Adelaide.

Luke Wilkshire
Pros: Has brought in beautiful style of football to the Wolves, has the respect of the players, will play youth players regardless.
Cons: He's a Smurf, unlikely wants to coach us or any other teams in the A-League, will stick with the wolves.

Ufuk Talay:
Pros: He has instilled mentality and culture at the Nux, he is getting the best of the players who aren't even A-League standard. 
Cons: He's another ex-smurf, unlikely wants to come WSW, he will stick with the Nux, if he were to leave them, he would most likely be Corica's replacement at the Smurfs.

I don't know much about the other coaches especially the NPL ones but I heard last night on SST that Rallis recommends that the club do all they can to sign Arthur Pappas