Central Coast Mariners vs Western Sydney Wanderers 2/2/2020 4:00PM

Just want to see the mood of the team post Babel, are they going to pull their socks up and go for it? is JP going to step up and turn the season around?, what side and tactics is he going to employ?, if we fall a goal behind will we crumble or make a fight of it?

Not expecting much different to be honest but hope i am more than pleasantly surprised.

Serous question. Has the vibe we saw in the first 3 seasons or so at this club gone forever? The passionate thousands travelling to away games. The Poznan being enacted stadium wide. Eg. the mid-week match turnout in pouring rain at Gosford in S1. Will it ever be repeated or have we taken one too many blows now? Is it because of over zealous policing, the bans, SOP, poor form or has the novelty just simply worn off. Have a lot of folk moved onto the next shiny thing?

Will it EVER be like it was guys?

Edited by beatsurrender
2 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Serous question. Has the vibe we saw in the first 3 seasons or so at this club gone forever? The passionate thousands travelling to away games. The Poznan being enacted stadium wide. Eg. the mid-week match turnout in pouring rain at Gosford in S1. Will it ever be repeated or have we taken one too many blows now? Is it because over over zealous policing, the bans, SOP, poor form or has the novelty just simply worn off. Have a lot of folk moved onto the next shiny thing?

i dont think we can ever recapture the exact vibe but we can get pretty close, its been such a long time since we had any success so its hard to tell though but if we are top of the table then things would be a lot different

I think we can sneak one here, not that the Mariners are bad far from it but they haven't been good at converting their chances. My opinion on Mariners is that they are missing a genuine quality striker from the current team, plus Tommy Oar also having a bit of poor run with no goals or assists.

Plus feeling positive on Simon Cox be interesting how JP decides to play him. Should be Adam and duke up to top with Cox just in behind to play to his strengths

26 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I think we can sneak one here, not that the Mariners are bad far from it but they haven't been good at converting their chances. My opinion on Mariners is that they are missing a genuine quality striker from the current team, plus Tommy Oar also having a bit of poor run with no goals or assists.

Plus feeling positive on Simon Cox be interesting how JP decides to play him. Should be Adam and duke up to top with Cox just in behind to play to his strengths

i  agree that the Mariners are not bad , they are ABYSMAL.

13 goals in 14 games and let in 25. Second last and won 4 games all season.

If we can't win this , we are SUPER ABYSMAL.

49 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Serous question. Has the vibe we saw in the first 3 seasons or so at this club gone forever? The passionate thousands travelling to away games. The Poznan being enacted stadium wide. Eg. the mid-week match turnout in pouring rain at Gosford in S1. Will it ever be repeated or have we taken one too many blows now? Is it because of over zealous policing, the bans, SOP, poor form or has the novelty just simply worn off. Have a lot of folk moved onto the next shiny thing?

We just need a winning team. Don't forget, the first few home games were not that well attended and it was the winning streak in S1 that brought the fans. As still a relatively new club without a long history or support having  being passed down from previous generation, people support this club based on results on the field. I can't understand how the board don't see this. Whether you like it or not Sydneysiders from all areas of the city are fickle and only support a successful club. Bring back the success on the field and that will bring success off it.

There also seems to be a general malaise with the HAL. Crowds and TV ratings are down (even on last seasons miserable numbers) so do we have enough money flowing in to maintain a viable League? Owners will want to cut and run and then the whole thing folds. These are serious times. The Smurfs are running away with it this year and the general interest seems to be non existent. Apparently the latest 'Big Blue' was the least watched in history.

Now we have a battle of wooden spooners in Gosford

Edited by beatsurrender

It's clear the the salary cap is not working, You have one team (possibly 2) that know how to work around it . The majority of teams working within it (and doing very poorly) and then a couple of teams that are not spending enough. The result is that one team has run away with the comp, and therefore the interest from all other supporters has faded away.

This is not good for anyone. There will be less money from sponsors or TV rights..... something needs to happen urgently otherwise the A league won't last. Just look at the crowds this year.

Edited by tardotz

The first 2-4 seasons of WSW were some of the best times of my life. I spent so much money on away trips and missed so much uni and work etc haha it was a once in a lifetime experience as a football fan. 

I don’t think we will ever see those kind of scenes again, particularly from season 1 because it wasn’t a normal thing that was happening. You might see the numbers come back but the intensity and hype I don’t think will ever come back, unless the A-League becomes the countries premier sporting competition one day.

I think for the most part they are beautiful memories that those of us who experienced them can always remember fondly.

28 minutes ago, hughsey said:

The first 2-4 seasons of WSW were some of the best times of my life. I spent so much money on away trips and missed so much uni and work etc haha it was a once in a lifetime experience as a football fan. 

I don’t think we will ever see those kind of scenes again, particularly from season 1 because it wasn’t a normal thing that was happening. You might see the numbers come back but the intensity and hype I don’t think will ever come back, unless the A-League becomes the countries premier sporting competition one day.

I think for the most part they are beautiful memories that those of us who experienced them can always remember fondly.

This is what I think too.  Those days were a one-off. It could get good again (even great) but they were special times. it's rarely the same second time round.

2 hours ago, theseeker said:

i  agree that the Mariners are not bad , they are ABYSMAL.

13 goals in 14 games and let in 25. Second last and won 4 games all season.

If we can't win this , we are SUPER ABYSMAL.

We are indeed very close to that as we are only a single point ahead of CCM.

7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

In

season starts here 

But unfortunately not this season, it's over. We have 13 games of competitive trials for next season. To see what players we should keep and who should go. Also to see the new Manager here by a least the last 6 games to get some idea of what's needed for next season. Hopefully players are played in their correct positions, they get fitter and their basic skill level improves.

2-2 Draw. 
Cox scores a worldy then ruptures a hamstring leaping the fence to celebrate. 
Duke heads in a winner with 30 seconds to go only for it to be chalked off after a lengthy VAR intervention. 
JP loses it and decks the fourth official with a 34 match suspension to follow. 
Club announces JP on 6 and a half year deal Monday morning....

I'm usually wrong about everything...lets hope the streak continues.

1 hour ago, bombagol said:

We are indeed very close to that as we are only a single point ahead of CCM.

Yep its the " Abysmal's Derby. " .  

Will be interesting to see if JP gets out of his seat and shouts instructions from the sideline like other coaches.

Or will he do Babbels impersonation of sit down well dressed Easter Island statue.

Edited by theseeker
4 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Saturday classifies as midweek then? :xnod:

5 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

I suspect we will see it again. Unfortunately it will probably be at the MacArthur Rams.

What we experienced in those first years was a product of both good luck (and timing) and good management. Both seem to have deserted us in recent years.

But, in particular, poor management - and not just on the footballing front - saw the gains of those first years pissed away. So better management might allow us to claw back some lost ground. How much ground?

....who knows

We need home finals again and a proper run at the top 2. Bring back a competitive team and the fans and feel goods will return...you could sense it was ready to lift off again after the first derby and then everything deflated again.

Until we thrashed Adelaide and won at ESFC season 1 there was no buz..things snowballed from there and i believe it CAN happen again...the fans that packed out Allianz for the first GF are still there and we will always have a core 9k to 10k that will rock up regardless.

It seems bleak right now but i have faith the good times on and off the pitch will return. My son might be pushing me to the games in a wheelchair by then is my concern...and poor old Ed might not see it in his life time!

3 hours ago, WHACKO said:

But unfortunately not this season, it's over. We have 13 games of competitive trials for next season. To see what players we should keep and who should go. Also to see the new Manager here by a least the last 6 games to get some idea of what's needed for next season. Hopefully players are played in their correct positions, they get fitter and their basic skill level improves.

Don’t be so defeatist 6 points to make up in 13 games to get a ticket on the finals lucky dip.

8 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

It’s not going to come back over night but it actually requires us to be competitive. I’m not talking about winning trophies every season but getting to a point we have a team that looks like we are able to challenge.

9 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Just want to see the mood of the team post Babel, are they going to pull their socks up and go for it? is JP going to step up and turn the season around?, what side and tactics is he going to employ?, if we fall a goal behind will we crumble or make a fight of it?

I don’t think JP will be the turning point but you’ve got to hope that our interim coach will maybe have some different ideas to Babbel. Will be interesting to see the reaction but I’m not expecting much tbh

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic