Smurfs v Wanderers
Brisbane v Adelaide
Newcastle v Sea-bogans
Bye: Fraudsters

Suspended: Treejack, Delbridge 

Forgot 

Scott Neville as well.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

VAR gone missing lol. Studs up, late, into the back of the leg. Not even checked

This just isn’t true. There are always checks going on during play, they are called “silent checks”. 

As for a straight red card, I think I’d need a better view. I only saw one view which wasn’t conclusive. I couldn’t see where exactly the studs connected or how high. It was a standing tackle, not off his feet & as a result not lots of speed in challenge, probably what saved him.

2 minutes ago, tardotz said:

One thing is sure if that was against us it would have been given.

Agree, who knows. It changes week to week :unknw:

2 minutes ago, mack said:

It's the A-League, the VAR shutting down at half-time could easily be a thing

It happened in a final of all places, this I will give you

3 minutes ago, mack said:

That tackle clearly endangered the safety of the opponent, which is enough for a red even if it may not have been excessive force or brutality.

You will find that there are usually a number of considerations that referees take into account when careless, reckless & excessive force. You won’t find these in the LOTG but generally come across them when doing your referee courses. I don’t think it’s enough for red.

Maybe IFAB should put those other considerations into the LOTG? I mean, it's clear and obvious that a studs up lunge into the back of another players ankle when the ball is long gone is endangering that players safety, but here refs let these tackles go week in week out, year on year.

23 minutes ago, mack said:

Maybe IFAB should put those other considerations into the LOTG?

Each confederation has there own considerations & each country has there own instructions to referees. The considerations are there to teach referees how they are to interpret the LOTG. Highly recommend you doing a referee course, even the level 4 one at a local branch just to give you a different perspective. I knew when I made that step it really turned my head & understanding of what I thought I knew as a spectator or player.

27 minutes ago, mack said:

it's clear and obvious that a studs up lunge into the back of another players ankle when the ball is long gone is endangering that players safety,

A few things that you need to take into consideration: Speed (standing tackle, not high speed), intensity (standing start, low intensity), where exactly was contact made (if it was just ankle, then I’d be more likely to downgrade to yellow), ball is long gone (is it?) but was it a genuine attempt to play the ball? I say yes & occasion (derby, there is going to be a bit of heat & few tackles flying in). I think the right call was made, it was a tight call, I’ll give it you.

33 minutes ago, mack said:

here refs let these tackles go week in week out, year on year.

To be honest, I don’t think there has been too much nasty stuff gone unpunished. The one player that has got a bit of leeway has been georgeski, the way he flys into tackles, studs up & both feet is very dangerous!

1 hour ago, mack said:

Lol that post-game interview from Jamieson, he thinks Victory were in good form? They haven't won an A-League game in 5 (now 6).

Yeah,  but .......**

** I don't have the thyme to expand on this!

Re the Jamieson foul/card - does the fact the ref gave a yellow affect the VAR review of a possible red? If no card VAR review considers whether possibly a clear error and a red is warranted and then perhaps gets ref to have a 2nd look. With yellow given, VAR then effectively reviews whether it was the right card and decides no obvious error.

35 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Re the Jamieson foul/card - does the fact the ref gave a yellow affect the VAR review of a possible red? If no card VAR review considers whether possibly a clear error and a red is warranted and then perhaps gets ref to have a 2nd look. With yellow given, VAR then effectively reviews whether it was the right card and decides no obvious error.

No it doesn't matter for a review. VAR can recommend the referee take another look at a yellow card offence (or a regular foul, or an incident completely missed by the ref) if the VAR booth believe it may have been worth a red card. Then the ref can decide to upgrade it from whatever action was taken to a straight red, or if the incident was missed but worthy of a yellow, given a second yellow.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

No it doesn't matter for a review. VAR can recommend the referee take another look at a yellow card offence (or a regular foul, or an incident completely missed by the ref) if the VAR booth believe it may have been worth a red card. Then the ref can decide to upgrade it from whatever action was taken to a straight red, or if the incident was missed but worthy of a yellow, given a second yellow.

I understand it doesn't matter as far as whether there is a review or not. My query was intended to ask whether the VAR "decision" might be different. That is, whether a VAR review of no card vs red card is more likely to perceive a clear error  than a yellow vs red review and therefore affect whether VAR decides it is worthy of referral to the ref to reconsider.

9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I understand it doesn't matter as far as whether there is a review or not. My query was intended to ask whether the VAR "decision" might be different. That is, whether a VAR review of no card vs red card is more likely to perceive a clear error  than a yellow vs red review and therefore affect whether VAR decides it is worthy of referral to the ref to reconsider.

That’s an interesting question but it is unlikely to happen as those circumstances would only occur if the referee missed the foul entirely (no foul awarded).

The on field decision doesn’t drive the process so I’m more likely to argue that it shouldn’t have any impact.