Wanderers Fade Away Against Jets

Yep agree first 25 mins were good and then the Jets woke up after that we faded. Duke and Muller are exempt from what i say next because I thought they were brilliant. 2nd half was **** from the rest of them.

No its not fitness as people have been sayings its blady passing from point A to point B and we failed miserably in this basic task. I almost felt sorry for Duke he ran is back side off won the ball multiple times passed it off to team mate only for them to immediately lose the ball. JP, Babbel doesn't matter who you put there if these dropkick so called professionals call that a decent 2nd 45mins football than they should look in the mirror. We weren't even going forward as a team we just stayed stationary in a defensive position so we wouldn't lose I mean come on.

This season’s performances have been pretty bad - and I got really disillusioned after Babbel left. I guess I felt we didn’t really have a plan and although Babbel had to go, the fact the players haven’t taken it as a rocket to get better isn’t great.

I’m happy we aren’t doing these silly “Wanderers re-enact TV show entrances” anymore but when half of them are saying “we’ll get better” every week, but then nothing happens, are they really trying? Or are they ringing it in?

I would much rather play FIFA 20 than watch the Wanderers at the moment. At least in FIFA 20, my Viktoria Koln team has charged up to fourth in the 3.Liga after being 17th earlier in the season. With 8 games to go, we are pushing for the playoff spot and only four points behind. Also, the manager is a lot better looking than JP - I have modelled her after Eugenie Bouchard :xnod: 

We would have been far better off leaving Cox on the park walking than replacing him with Yeboah who spent all his friggin time falling down , Adam has got to be a far better choice for the last 20 minutes.

Hopefully this team get over their mental illness that sets at the 25 minute mark and realise the game goes for 2 45 minute halves.

I think we have a hyper active team .

JP says we have to take the positives out of the game and move forward to next week. Really!  No s**t Sherlock. Who actually comes up with this crap? 

We've been saying the same things (players and management) for the past 4 years. I'm not quite sure what positives they are talking about but they don't add up to a hill o'beans.

We get no insight, no problem solving just platitudes and hackneyed phrases.  

Edited by beatsurrender

What more can one say, what else can one sing? Like many on here frustrated and pissed off...each game I leave the 3 sided stadium shaking my head. People will soon be thinking I have early stages of Dementia.

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams they fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
Pretty bubbles in the air

51 minutes ago, JustWandering said:

I am far from an expert, but I don't feel it is lack of effort or fitness that is the teams biggest problem. The passing precision of most of our players is very poor, even by A League standards, which results in a lot of unnecessary running after stray balls and takes away decision time for the receiver of the pass. We need the opposition to be totally out of shape to launch a meaningful attack, so teams just let us have the ball, keep their shape and wait for the ever reliable stray pass. I feel that the team gets knackered because they have to do infinitely more running than the opposition to make anything happen. The Jets were much better at letting the ball do the work and were able to conserve their energy better throughout the match. The biggest problem is recruitment. I suspect that it is no coincidence that all our success came prior to the arrival of the new owners. Lederer is controlling the decision  making for recruitment and is not doing a good job of it. Babbel was criticised for not having a game plan and doing simple passing drills at training. I fear he was correct in focussing on this at training, as these basic skills are lacking in much of our group. No game plan is going to be effective if the passing is 2nd rate.

There is simply no cohesion in the team, we are constantly misplacing and turning over possession in the midfield. Baccus and Schwegler aren't the type of players who can hold the ball andbring the ball forward, we are seriously lacking a no.8, an Aaron Mooy or an Andreau type player, someone who can link our midfield to attack, thats something that neither Schwegler or Baccus haven't been doing, they are both the same type of players.

Agree with a lot of good points here, accuracy of passing and control of ball, missing a No 8.

I thought Duke covered more grass out there than the ground keeper's mower his work rate was amazing, Muller is class thank Christ we have him at least, Lopar is a superb professional.

that first 15 mins was the best in 4 seasons i thought, Bruce was untouchable, skinned the back won a penalty, kept skinning the back got chopped and got him booked, thought this guy will get red carded by half time but what happened?

Brucie drops back to the halfway line and the ball starts popping over to DG who did not have the same effect, why the hell did we stop attacking down the right hand side it was obviously working !!!!

48 minutes ago, SBW said:

There is simply no cohesion in the team, we are constantly misplacing and turning over possession in the midfield. Baccus and Schwegler aren't the type of players who can hold the ball andbring the ball forward, we are seriously lacking a no.8, an Aaron Mooy or an Andreau type player, someone who can link our midfield to attack, thats something that neither Schwegler or Baccus haven't been doing, they are both the same type of players.

Have to agree with this. I think there is more defensive cohesion with Sullivan but he also lacks that outlet pass, he is very box-box type of player, and both Baccus and Schwegler recycle the ball well but don't launch attacks.

1 hour ago, beatsurrender said:

JP says we have to take the positives out of the game and move forward to next week. Really!  No s**t Sherlock. Who actually comes up with this crap? 

We've been saying the same things (players and management) for the past 4 years. I'm not quite sure what positives they are talking about but they don't add up to a hill o'beans.

We get no insight, no problem solving just platitudes and hackneyed phrases.  

I am bracing myself for an end of season bullshyte members email about how it has been a disappointing season but the same push and desire for success is there and that they value us...

Who knows maybe we will never be any good again. The ACL curse ;)

Smurfs are over the hill and far, far away. We are down there fighting for the scraps with the Mariners and the Jets. The potential was there for us to be as consistently dominant as the Smurfs and Victory but we seem to have lost that advantage and the Rams will obviously eat into our base (the amount to be determined). If rusted on members start to drift then the club will slowly fade away.

Edited by beatsurrender
22 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Who knows maybe we will never be any good again. The ACL curse ;)

Smurfs are over the hill and far, far away. We are down there fighting for the scraps with the Mariners and the Jets. The potential was there for us to be as consistently dominant as the Smurfs and Victory but we seem to have lost that advantage and the Rams will obviously eat into our base (the amount to be determined). If rusted on members start to drift then the club will slowly fade away.

I think all clubs in the A league and the comp itself have foundations built on sand..including ESFC. Their success shouldn't hide the vulnerability all clubs should be feeling at the moment.

The things I'd really like to do better then we've done in the past few years:

1. Do NOT try to rebuild an entire team in the off season
We have to stick with some of what we have
My key players to retain - Lopar, Muller, Duke
Probably adding Baccus, Schwegler.
I haven't seen enough of Cox, but at least he's already better than Pio and Meier. (low bar, I know)
Of the younger players, I'd keep Sullivan, Tass, Wilmering, Mo, Russell.

2. Give game time to the younger players NOW.
We're not doing too much with this season, but at least play the young guys.
As well as the five above, I've liked the glimpses I've seen of Cordier and Trew.

3. The three at the back thing?
Really?
Is there really anybody who thinks this is worth persisting with.
Poor Jurman, looks like a lumbering left-footed elephant with the turning circle of a road-train.
DG, clearly a nice bloke, but already focusing on his modeling and media career (and good luck to him, as he may be better at it).
I've assumed, we made a mistake and signed the wrong McGowan?

4. At training, show the players a photo of a football pitch.
And explain that the goals run North-South and not East-West.

6 hours ago, Ossified said:

Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams they fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
Pretty bubbles in the air

😟 Isn't it bad enough with the Wanderers did you have to open the WHU wound as well 😰

Edited by tardotz

Our boys need to do shiitload of futsal. If they do that constantly their ball skills will improve, as well as fitness.

It really shiits me to tears that these guys are getting paid to kick a ball for a living and are half arsed.

Basic skills so sub par.

A lot of this is on the coach. No charisma, no sense of discipline and not having drummed into them that they need to bleed for the shirt. Western Sydney is a cradle of football in this country.

Then you see Jurman and others stroll around with a shiit attitude.

That's when the coach has to be on the touchline yelling at them to pull their finger out. Constant instructions on the sideline, not passive and looking trendy. 

Farking pathetic the lot of them.

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I think all clubs in the A league and the comp itself have foundations built on sand..including ESFC. Their success shouldn't hide the vulnerability all clubs should be feeling at the moment.

When the clubs lack their own clubhouse(s)........and the ability generate a different income stream aside from falling memberships,falling tv rights or not value for money sponsorships.....like the NRL clubs etc do.....then you are on the backfoot to begin with. 

7 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

It really shiits me to tears that these guys are getting paid to kick a ball for a living and are half arsed.

Basic skills so sub par.

This is what I don't get.?????????

I went and watched a youth League game at Valentine a few weeks ago.

I'm seriously not kidding or bullshitting anyone. The passing was no better or no worse than what I saw on Saturday night. And these were just Under 18 kids.

14 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I'm seriously not kidding or bullshitting anyone. The passing was no better or no worse than what I saw on Saturday night. And these were just Under 18 kids.

As Shakespeare once wrote,

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Meaning ... things are unsatisfactory; there is something wrong.

with all the $$$$$$$$ parents pay  is there no emphasis on skills set training? ... not really.

Let's all just be stampeding horses with no football clue and just concentrate on fitness.

1 hour ago, WanderingToqui said:

Our boys need to do shiitload of futsal. If they do that constantly their ball skills will improve, as well as fitness.

Basic skills so sub par.

A lot of this is on the coach. No charisma, no sense of discipline and not having drummed into them that they need to bleed for the shirt. Western Sydney is a cradle of football in this country.

Then you see Jurman and others stroll around with a shiit attitude.

That's when the coach has to be on the touchline yelling at them to pull their finger out. Constant instructions on the sideline, not passive and looking trendy. 

Farking pathetic the lot of them.

If they play like a pub side, treat them like one. Miss hit pass, fined. Sh!tty first touch, fined. Skied shot at goal, fined. It may not make us a better team, but at least the club will get another income stream. 

1 hour ago, billybob said:

If they play like a pub side, treat them like one. Miss hit pass, fined. Sh!tty first touch, fined. Skied shot at goal, fined. It may not make us a better team, but at least the club will get another income stream. 

Exactly this. I am astounded each week how poor our ball skills are. Some of the passes are so poorly judged. Too hard, too soft, turn the ball over to the opposition. Rinse and repeat

While on the topic of passing, something that I’ve noticed every player in the squad is guilty of is not moving into space off the ball or towards it when receiving a pass. When we are in possession there is no flow, it’s stagnant. Again comes back to basic ball skills which we don’t seem to have most of the time. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode: “holds it, holds it”.

5 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The game in Oz today isn't based on finess, accuracy, touch or a lot of the skills we admired growing up. Today's game is based on entertainment - big, tall and fast, with impacts and collisions.

SAP is supposedly in place to teach skills, but it's pay to play and the quality is dreadful - kids that play CB but can't clear a ball more than 10ft, forwards with no technique or clue. I have literally never seen a SAP coach teach technique. Lots of fitness, but no execution. Like putting a performance engine in a car, but cheap brakes.

After SAP we wipe the slate clean. The biggest, tallest and fastest kids get selected irrespective of skill, because at Youth Level most NPL clubs believe size equals success. Often kids with loads of natural talent and technique get pushed to the side and told things like they aren't physical enough to play if they're a little smaller. And they eventually give up, because they see their pathway closed, and their loyalty and effort rejected.

What you end up with is generational shifts. Physically imposing sides that get spanked by skill ala. The Socceroos. There needs to be a complete overhaul.

Just harking back to the Leeds game, when the youngsters were on JOD, Grozos, Monge, wilmering, Tass etc am i rembering this wrong or was there a better energy more give and go.

happy to chuck the youngsters back in for a few games see what happens, also in that Leeds game i thought we had a beast in DM in Schweigler he's lost his way a bit recently, it seems a bit of the mongrel has left him lately.

38 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Just harking back to the Leeds game, when the youngsters were on JOD, Grozos, Monge, wilmering, Tass etc am i rembering this wrong or was there a better energy more give and go.

happy to chuck the youngsters back in for a few games see what happens, also in that Leeds game i thought we had a beast in DM in Schweigler he's lost his way a bit recently, it seems a bit of the mongrel has left him lately.

The scoreline of 2-1 flattered us tbh but it did show that Lopar was the real deal. Its funny when you look at the talk of our lack of ability to pass during this season when the ball for our goal in that game was a cracker through ball from Baccus. :ninja:

:D

Edited by sonar

Babbel spoke of mentality. JP talks of mindset.

Either or both could mean any or all of concentration, determination, confidence. 

When we play like we started against the Jets, and in other matches such as Leeds, R2 v Victory, R3 v SFC they were all evident. And there is movement and quick, accurate passing.

We look like world beaters.

Then for some reason the doubt creeps in, and so there is less movement, passes go astray, there is uncertainty, hesitation with passing and moving, all this compounds as the game goes on.

Then we end up with the rabble like, have they played together before, performance to finish the match on Saturday. Sometimes there is still determination like Duke's efforts.

In the post match press conference, JP mentioned there is something new they've just introduced. When asked to elaborate he declined and said they will keep it internal for now. I wonder, a sports psychologist?

SFC and Arnie were a rabble until he/they started to use a psychologist of some sort?

Arnold came into SFC, the season before they finished 5th, his first season they finished 2nd and lost 3-0 in the grand final, they fell to 7th the year after, but he was able to rebuild them immediately and they've since finished 1st, 1st, 2nd and will finish 1st again this season.

Mentality means nothing after a certain point if you can't make 5 meter passes and are playing a wildly stupid formation with multiple people out of position. It's a figleaf for poor technical performance on the pitch. I believe Babbel did a good job of rebuilding the mentality of the team after his first year, but there's a ceiling to how much good it does when the team stops performing.

On 17/02/2020 at 12:14 PM, SBW said:

We have a guy sullivan who looks like he could do that but for some reason he is in dog house 

it’s like with Tass he’s obviously good enough to play we saw this last season but for some reason even after babbel left JP has just stuck with the same players 

seriously at some point you have to say it’s over half the season gone the cohesion isn’t right let’s add something new to mix 

it’s not rocket science