Football To Be Behind Closed Doors From Monday

The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in the Australian Government banning large non-essential gatherings, a move which will see organised football either shut down or played behind closed doors from Monday.

The FFA has committed to this weekend's Round 23 matches being played open to the public, but from round 24 A-League matches will be closed to the public. The impact of this closure is also going to be felt in the National Premier Leagues where the Wanderers youth team play in the NPL 2 competition. The W-League semi-finals are not yet impacted, while the Grand Final will be a TV only event.

Across the planet many major sports competitions have been completely suspended or already playing without fans. In the United States the MLS, National Basketball and Hockey leagues have been suspended. The Asian Champions League has already been impacted as well as World Cup Qualifiers. In Europe it is expected that the Euro 2020 competition will be pushed back to 2021 and the Copa America is in doubt, along with Australia's participation as an invitation country.

While it remains to be seen if the A-League will be suspended, it is highly unlikely that the public closure will be reversed before the scheduled end of the season. A-League fans may be waiting until October before they can attend an A-League match in person again.

View full article

fair enough

just leave the trophies vacant

for 2021 AFC, give one spot to ESFC and schedule "playoffs" for the other spot in Oct/Nov

Melbourne City (2nd) vs Western United (6th)

Perth (4th) vs Brisbane (5th)

the winners face each other for the other spot

15 minutes ago, marron said:

schools and unis are still considered essential and are operating at this point.

cancer doesn't have exponential growth and isn't contagious.

Sure, but what, you get badly sick for a few weeks unless your immune system is poor. Cancer can be fatal for anyone, wherever, whenever. This is also assuming the virus doesn't mutate.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST
16 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

ahh f***. Was hoping this wouldn't happen. Any refunds on memberships or anything? This is so s*** but probably needs to be done. I honestly think that the coronavirus is so overblown. More people die from cancer in a day that coronavirus in quite a few days. Anyway what does this mean for schools and universities? 

1) I'm sure you'll find in the small print that you can't get a refund on your membership due to a global pandemic.

2) The majority of people will survive the virus, but the percentage of people that could be killed is significant enough that it warrants the actions. You might be fine, but if you spread it to a grandparent, or someone already seriously sick, disabled or very young you could literally kill them.

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

2) The majority of people will survive the virus, but the percentage of people that could be killed is significant enough that it warrants the actions. You might be fine, but if you spread it to a grandparent, or someone already seriously sick, disabled or very young you could literally kill them.

Like my old man back in the UK who has completed months of cancer therapy and has a very weak immune system, if he gets it I would be very worried.

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

1) I'm sure you'll find in the small print that you can't get a refund on your membership due to a global pandemic.

Pulling out the golden Force majeure on point 1 no doubt.

22 minutes ago, Carns said:

That doesn't fly under our consumer laws. If you buy a product, you are entitled to receive the services rendered. If the services aren't rendered you are entitled to a refund.

I would expect nothing less than a refund of 30% of everyone's membership.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

That doesn't fly under our consumer laws. If you buy a product, you are entitled to receive the services rendered. If the services aren't rendered you are entitled to a refund.

I would expect nothing less than a refund of 30% of everyone's membership.

Happy for you to lead the campaign. It doesn't come under "unforeseen circumstance/act of God" type stuff? It's not like the club is refusing entry to people, it's out of their control.

51 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

ahh f***. Was hoping this wouldn't happen. Any refunds on memberships or anything? This is so s*** but probably needs to be done. I honestly think that the coronavirus is so overblown. More people die from cancer in a day that coronavirus in quite a few days. Anyway what does this mean for schools and universities? 

The regular flu kills more people. Exactly as you have stated exaggerated beyond belief. Just waiting now for the compulsory Covid 19 shot.

30 minutes ago, dcrow said:

The regular flu kills more people. Exactly as you have stated exaggerated beyond belief. Just waiting now for the compulsory Covid 19 shot.

It will be the huge drain on Health Services /System which will affect those who have serious and life threatening health issues like Heart disease, cancer etc  especially amongst the elderly. There is a Flu vacine available however, a Covid 19 vaccine is at least a year away.

1 hour ago, dcrow said:

This is a totally new virus in humans and scientists are still learning about it, it could mutate into something even worse but we just dont know.

There is no cure and no shot that can halt it yet. Those that underestimate this or dismiss it as like the flu may be in for a shock.

2 hours ago, Carns said:

Very young are actually fine surprisingly, however the rest are a fair concern. It's a shame, but we need to do it

2 hours ago, Carns said:

My dad is 90, and he refuses to consider not going to mass......if he gets sick........:unknw:

Advice from the ACCC is contained in the following ABC article. Long story short, we’re on shaky ground under the ACL if the cancellation is Government-driven: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-13/coronavirus-event-cancellations-how-to-get-a-refund/12045680?pfmredir=sm

In my case I wrote off the membership as a sunk cost months ago.

I just realised I’m speaking like a Canberran in acronymese: ACCC is the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, and the ACL is the Australian Consumer Law. Everyone knows the ABC (I hope!).

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

This is a totally new virus in humans and scientists are still learning about it, it could mutate into something even worse but we just dont know.

There is no cure and no shot that can halt it yet. Those that underestimate this or dismiss it as like the flu may be in for a shock.

Like any flu, they can all mutate. Every new strain a vaccine takes time to develop.

4 hours ago, sonar said:

As an aside......It's been confirmed Peter Dutton has tested positive.I wonder will Morrison self isolate and not attend any NRL games......he's supposed to be going to see Cronulla play.

If a player tests positive what's the procedure.?

Unconfirmed report (from another forum) that a Cronulla player may have tested positive.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic