Football To Be Behind Closed Doors From Monday

3 hours ago, Carns said:

1) I'm sure you'll find in the small print that you can't get a refund on your membership due to a global pandemic.

2) The majority of people will survive the virus, but the percentage of people that could be killed is significant enough that it warrants the actions. You might be fine, but if you spread it to a grandparent, or someone already seriously sick, disabled or very young you could literally kill them.

Correct, to an extent. Young people so far have stayed fine, I think the death count is little to none. I agree with everyone, they have done the right thing and precaution needs to be taken, but I feel this has been blown up a bit. I think for people of different age demographics it will impact them more or less. 

For leagues with average attendance over 10k last season, the only ones still operating (outside Australia) are the Liga MX in Mexico and the Russian league. All the rest are other suspended or out of season.

Then there's Australia, where the NRL, AFL, Super Rugby and A-League will be going behind closed doors.

36 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I don't really understand why they would ban large gatherings from Monday? Why not immediately?

I get that some things are hard to postpone etc at last minute, but in my uneducated mind it's either a public health concern or it's not, right?

Any medical experts shed some light here?

My guess is they think Monday is a little earlier than necessary and/or they think that making it immediate might engender some panic?

12 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

My guess is they think Monday is a little earlier than necessary and/or they think that making it immediate might engender some panic?

I think it is time buying. They hope that by making it Monday things will change for the better..it buys them a week. Its delaying.

Which when you see what is happening around the world is ridiculous. 

There is a thread on the Boro forum and someone asked what sport is still going on around the world this weekend. They mentioned the NRL and HAL....

Edited by Smoggy

Oh look, in an article about fans not being allowed to come to games and how it will cost clubs money, they use a picture of us to represent a club with lots of fans. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-clubs-bracing-for-financial-black-hole-from-empty-stadiums-20200313-p549tv.html

Funny how they use us for their stories about fans being "good", and their stories about fans being "bad". Hipocrisy much? 

23 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Yawn. Sick of hearing about this stupid virus. Media need to STFU, people need to calm down and everyone just needs some common sense. And to wash their damn hands. 

This will go down as one of the greatest over reactions in history. 

I dont disagree.....but coming from a family who ALL worked for the NHS in the UK i have heard about what moderate flu outbreaks can do.....

It is easy for us to kick back in a cafe this morning while flicking through the papers and tutting at the over reaction....

I know the shyte storm that could hit the hospitals and in some already has.

My mum has been asked if she would like to go back and volunteer at her old hospital in the UK. No chance..she is looking after my old man who is unwell..

just back in from running around supermarkets trying to buy bog roll, I'm over it, queuing for over 30 mins for woolies to open then charging in with 100 others to grab a packet off one pallet, the word locust springs to mind.

honestly this panic buying nonsense really brings the worst out of people, had no choice but had to go and forage we're a family of four with a legitimate (desperate) need as many here I'm sure, wasn't savvy enough to go out and bulk buy like other doom preppers now I'm trapped in the oh bugger cycle along with the majority.

got a cold? use a tissue oh wait none on the shelf, bloody hell this is frustrating.

as for  the footy well it's cactus isn't it, roll on next season, thank christ there is no beer shortage..........................yet!

I had a haircut at 8 am, then thought I "d call in to the nearby shopping Mall for a few items.

By a bit after 8.30, lucky to get a parking space, no trolleys or baskets as I entered.

All 4 checkouts open, so with an armful of stuff, I joined one of 4 queues, which were halfway to the back of the store when I joined, and virtually to the back of the store as I left.

I've never seen anything like it.

Girl at my work taken to hospital with fever and respiratory problems. We’re in lockdown till we get the results of her test.

Get this - she can’t get tested till Monday! Whole country in a state of emergency and doctors still on the golf course on Saturdays.

Work from home till Wednesday at least. If only there was still some overseas sport on during the day...!

19 hours ago, dcrow said:

The regular flu kills more people. Exactly as you have stated exaggerated beyond belief. Just waiting now for the compulsory Covid 19 shot.

Not really, this thing is something else, I'd expect another few months for this to be contained in Australia.

The story out of China is sounding positive since they have reduced the spread of infection but I think it will be another year till we see the whole virus being contained globally as Italy is breaking out with a pandemic.

18 minutes ago, SBW said:

Not really, this thing is something else, I'd expect another few months for this to be contained in Australia.

The story out of China is sounding positive since they have reduced the spread of infection but I think it will be another year till we see the whole virus being contained globally as Italy is breaking out with a pandemic.

The Chinese went to lengths to contain most western countries will struggle to match, Italy is attempting it.....

30 minutes ago, SBW said:

My issue with any news out of China is whether they’re lying

They tried to cover it up initially. Who says they’re not doctoring the news to make it sound as though infections are lessening?

42 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

My issue with any news out of China is whether they’re lying

They tried to cover it up initially. Who says they’re not doctoring the news to make it sound as though infections are lessening?

Theres more cases in Australia than being reported according to a hospital doc....

6 hours ago, Keithie said:

The stupid thing is every day world wide more people are dying of the Normal everyday flu strains than the corona virus for effing sake !!!!!

Yes, but it is way too late for the media to get the public and government into panic about the everyday flu.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic