marron

Armageddon Thread

3 hours ago, sonar said:

....but it's the voters choice on the ballot paper where those preferences flow to, following a party how-to-vote card is a choice.

But looking at the data, more than half the country still voted green, labor or independent. I guess what I'm saying is that around half of the country did not vote for the current mob, or their independent supporters - even after preferences - 48.47% to be exact TPP. Therefore you can't really say that we asked for it! Coz almost half of us certainly didn't!:P

Apparently the majority of shops in Windsor are still open because of Morrison's stupid wording about any job being essential

1 hour ago, Potkorok said:

But looking at the data, more than half the country still voted green, labor or independent. I guess what I'm saying is that around half of the country did not vote for the current mob, or their independent supporters - even after preferences - 48.47% to be exact TPP. Therefore you can't really say that we asked for it! Coz almost half of us certainly didn't!:P

The national TPP for the Coalition was 51.53%

https://results.aec.gov.au/24310/Website/HouseTppByState-24310.htm

It was Qld and WA where the govt majority comes from.

Edited by sonar

10 minutes ago, HollowedHeart said:

Apparently the majority of shops in Windsor are still open because of Morrison's stupid wording about any job being essential

Latest measures only take effect at midnight tonight.

1 hour ago, Potkorok said:

Well said!!

45 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I had great fun doing my sons art homework today! :)

Hes going to get ******* awesome marks!

I look forward to your complaints to the teacher when you only get 7/10.

3 hours ago, HollowedHeart said:

This is the thing. Every business considers themselves essential...

21 hours ago, EmMac said:

Such wishy washy gobbledygook from Morrison 

Faaarrrkin close the country down now. Go hard and shorten the pain. I truly believe the govts incompetence in not acting strongly enough  is contributing to peoples mental and financial misery

It is the AHPPC (the committee of all the Chief Medical Officers) that makes decisions on what should happen and advises government accordingly.  Heaven help us if ever the politicians take over the role of making decisions on medical matters but of course they have the right to question the AHPPC so that they understand the advice.  The members of the National cabinet have asked the AHPPC for clarification and advice on several issues and they were covered in the advice in the statement dated 24 March.  The end of their statement is pertinent to your comment:-

"AHPPC noted that the new restrictive social distancing measures have only just been introduced and that the border measures and enhancing quarantining provisions for returned travellers are also recent. It is too early to assess the impact of current social distancing measures.

AHPPC noted there remains scope for more aggressive contact tracing and enforcement of quarantine for contacts; this is in progress and is of equal importance to the social distancing measures.

Whilst clarification and enhancement of the existing measures (which address the highest risk gatherings) are important, additional, materially more disruptive measures, should ideally be held in reserve until some assessment of the initial measures is possible.

The next step, if required, is likely to be a carefully considered closure of all activity except essential industries and services.

All states and territories are in agreement with the above position, except Victoria, who expressed the desire for even stronger measures at this time."

I wonder whether Victoria's determination to go harder now is a reflection on the fact that they have done significantly less testing than the other states so they have less of a handle on what is actually happening there.

I see old big ears has Covid, what with his grandma being over 90 and his dad having it Will's could be King by the end of next week.

Edited by Smoggy

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I see old big ears has Covid, what with his grandma being over 90's and his dad having it Will's could be King by the end of next week.

Only a mild case, I heard.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Only a mild case, I heard.

Ah well.

2 hours ago, Flytox said:

additional, materially more disruptive measures, should ideally be held in reserve until some assessment of the initial measures is possible.

The next step, if required, is likely to be a carefully considered closure of all activity except essential industries and services.

The biggest issue is that it will take at least 2 weeks, sometimes even 3 weeks before measures can seen to be working via new infection numbers.

For other states where numbers are low & community transmission is minimal, then I think it’s prudent to wait & see where we are in a couple of weeks with the measures. NSW is on a steep upward curve & we won’t see a proper dent in these numbers for a few weeks (over 1000 & doubling every 3-4 days).

Numbers are increasing & we can blame the cruise ship debacle for a small portion of these numbers but not all of them. In fact, we won’t know for 2 weeks what the true fall out of the ruby princess debacle. Think of everything from the weekend Scomo told everyone to go to the footy to last weekend when you’ve got beaches full & everyone trying to cram in the weddings before lock downs. Even now we’ve got people who are told to self-isolate immediately but stop by the shops, chemist etc on the way home. At least more people are taking it seriously but maybe we just need to take the step to slow things down.

6 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The biggest issue is that it will take at least 2 weeks, sometimes even 3 weeks before measures can seen to be working via new infection numbers.

For other states where numbers are low & community transmission is minimal, then I think it’s prudent to wait & see where we are in a couple of weeks with the measures. NSW is on a steep upward curve & we won’t see a proper dent in these numbers for a few weeks (over 1000 & doubling every 3-4 days).

Numbers are increasing & we can blame the cruise ship debacle for a small portion of these numbers but not all of them. In fact, we won’t know for 2 weeks what the true fall out of the ruby princess debacle. Think of everything from the weekend Scomo told everyone to go to the footy to last weekend when you’ve got beaches full & everyone trying to cram in the weddings before lock downs. Even now we’ve got people who are told to self-isolate immediately but stop by the shops, chemist etc on the way home. At least more people are taking it seriously but maybe we just need to take the step to slow things down.

Looked very much business as usual out there today. I went to the shops at lunch time and they had taken all of the food court chairs away. So people got takeaways and were sat on walls and things outside chatting. People in most shops milling around close together. The only difference was the seats in the food court taken away but people stood in line close together for food and coffee anyway.

Edited by Smoggy

Reasons I have found to be positive......

• I now understand my sons school work much better and sit down and talk to him properly about it. Apparently sometimes when I come home tired from work and he asks me a question I get 'daaaaaaaad, your not listening', which to be fair I probably don't fully at times. Much more involved now, if the teachers could just sort their **** out we would be charging ahead. For his timetabled Phys Ed lesson I am keeping them going in the slot and we head out with some kit. 
  • I go for an evening walk with the wife every night to get the legs going a bit as can be a long day working on a laptop and helping the lad with his work. We even went tonight in the rain. Found a few places didn't even know existed like a reserve close by with an awesome view right to the Blue Mountains..reckon you can see Marron's house on a clear day.
  • No long commute on public transport every day which means you can sleep in for an extra hour. You don't see the same old miserable faces at the bus stop every day.
Edited by Smoggy

7 hours ago, HollowedHeart said:

Do you mean out or the ones that aren’t empty and for lease. 

the majority of shops in Windsor seem to have been closed down for a year or so 

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Looked very much business as usual out there today.

I think this is the worry with kids being at home. Kids locked inside (my 17 month year old is turning into monster being stuck in our unit), so easy to just take them out to the shops for a while or let them spend some time with friends. They need to get out. Looks like it may require more stringent measures before finally some might start to take things seriously.

A few notes:

- If you lose your sense of smell but have no symptoms it may be an early warning you have c19 - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-25/coronavirus-loss-of-smell-covid-19-symptom/12087948

- When do I need to wear a face mask? Unless you’re sick, please don’t wear, save them for the front line health workers - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-25/coronavirus-covid-19-face-mask-surgical-mask-protection/12088314

- Some ideas to keep kids content inside during lockdown - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/coronavirus-school-children-staying-home-during-pandemic-data/12088692

- Data on c19, latest figures and charts - https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-stay-home-chart/12084144

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Do you mean out or the ones that aren’t empty and for lease. 

the majority of shops in Windsor seem to have been closed down for a year or so 

you talking about south windsor shops? i honestly dont go their often, was more talking about riverview shops

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Looked very much business as usual out there today. I went to the shops at lunch time and they had taken all of the food court chairs away. So people got takeaways and were sat on walls and things outside chatting. People in most shops milling around close together. The only difference was the seats in the food court taken away but people stood in line close together for food and coffee anyway.

With dad being 90 I was able to go to the 7am session at woolies on Monday for him which turned out to be a total waste of effort as there was eff all on the shelves. Hopped in the car and tried coles and got 90% of what he wanted. Tried Aldi at 9.30 but couldn't even get in the carpark....chockers. Ended up trying again today and got everything. 

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I don't get it.

Don't they watch the NEWS... or read anything on the internet??

I guess my awareness is really heightened, because I work almost exclusively with Chinese kids - and so it's been discussed with them since before the school holidays, during the first outbreak.

And then, it was in my face (so to speak) when they were almost all in quarantine -  and I had to get work out to them for the first 2 weeks. 

Later, when they returned to school, they were plainly still afraid, as it crept in here - and, I'm sure, they were horrified at how lax everything here (and in the West) has been. Their parents are clearly afraid for their kids too, and upset that we don't wear masks, and that we weren't in lockdown etc.

But even without all this, I am staggered at how casual people are. 

Member of coronavirus advisory panel urges Government to 'go hard, go now' on lockdown
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/australia-needs-coronavirus-lockdown-now-expert-says/12088348

Yet another body who recommends going hard.

But what would they know?

We had the opportunity to watch and learn, from the rest of the world, but we are not an intelligent country. Where everywhere else us doing it, why do we think we're different?

You wouldn't have to lock down everywhere...but on the East coast, I think we need to.

6 hours ago, Burztur said:

I look forward to your complaints to the teacher when you only get 7/10.

58 minutes ago, wendybr said:

But even without all this, I am staggered at how casual people are. 

It's hard unless you are totally isolated.

I went in to work today, having been working from home for a week and a half.  My intention was to go straight to my desk, via the hand sanitiser station we have, not touch anything except my own keyboard and mouse, take my lunch, and that's that. There were 5 people in, normally there is about 30, and we have the strictest rules - only 2 people in this meeting room, door handles wiped down a few times per day etc.

But once you start talking to people you naturally get within 2 metres, or if you are going over stuff together you touch the same piece of paper, or you collect someone else's paper from the printer by accident - they're not going to shred the paper because you touched it.

My whole office is working from home from today - it's just not pssible to go to work and not interact in a way that could spread the virus.

7 hours ago, HollowedHeart said:

you talking about south windsor shops? i honestly dont go their often, was more talking about riverview shops

No Windsor 

not that info often, but last time I was saddened by how many of the little shops  along Main Street and in the little malls had closed down

they all seemed to be doing it tough before this, this will finish them offf