marron

Armageddon Thread

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Boris in the UK intially went down the 'flatten the curve route' which means it is extended over a longer period but the peak is lower and so less pressure on the health service.

What he seems to be doing now however is ramping up the NHS with volunteers, creating a make shift hospital out of i think a convention centre and getting all the supplies together he can whilst also ramping up the stay at home policies.

Boris is going to take a higher peak sooner and get over with sooner policy based on what he is trying to do with the NHS.

I have no idea what our plan is other than to try and copy a mix of other countries policies badly...

Boris think he can do this in 12 weeks....

It drives me crazy to see Morrison referring to doing whatever we do for the next 6 months. Can't shut down schools, 'cause that would cost kids half a year of their education. etc.

Hard to know what really does go on in China, but it seems they are staring to ease restrictions. 

It is only logical to go hard and go early, which places like NZ have done. I cannot fathom what the clowns in charge here are doing.

2 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Neither.

Closer to the former than the latter, I think..

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

A **** mix of both with some Trumpian thinking for some extra spice. 

I have been keeping myself isolated by choice, for a few days ...

My oldest son put his Netflicks on my computer ...

Anywho if you have Netflicks a great Football vid is called """The English Game""" its about how Football began ... excellent acting... I am up to the third season ... so far so good..

What's your school doing wendy with regards to working from home and what not?

Posted (edited)

My sons school is basically unofficially officially closed now..only 2% of students rocked up yesterday and most teachers have started working from home...just a few on site now.

Got to stop jumping in and doing his work for him mind..he asks me something and before i know it i have done ******* 80% of the work!

Edited by Smoggy

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

My sons school is basically unofficially officially closed now..only 2% of students rocked up yesterday and most teachers have started working from home...just a few on site now.

Got to stop jumping in and doing his work for him mind..he asks me something and before i know it i have done ******* 80% of the work!

I know it's tempting, but.....

Practice guiding him...and develop your questioning skills  :lol:....rather than telling him the answer, or doing it for him.

To Marron's question

Some working from home all week...like ME!!

Was sick and exhausted on Monday (don't think I slept more than an hour) and not 100% on Tues - and have just kept going, with Principal's consent.

I'm very happy to be in self imposed lockdown tbh.

We've only had a handful of kids on site, learning 100% on line, with minimal supervision. Microsoft teams and Google Classroom delivery of most materials, I think.

I've been working like crazy, tbh.  :tired::tired:

Posted (edited)

If you are sick you shouldn't be working!

But not a system for you guys to be rostered to be at home or school?  Everyone else still there still?

(.... fed rep hat.... heh).

(hope you feel better soon). (oh, looks like  you kind of do)

Edited by marron

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Our stats are better than at least 15 western European and Scandinavian countries at the same stage of the pandemic.  A couple of those countries appear now to be starting to flatten the curve but the rest are pretty much flatlining.  We have had an apparent dip in the number of cases in the last couple of days but it might just be daily variations or it may also be differences in the stage of the different population centres in Australia.  We are 1 to 3 weeks behind most of western Europe.

South Korea is an interesting country to compare us to.  They had a MERS outbreak in 2015 so they are experienced in dealing with a recent serious outbreak.  They have a population that is double ours while at the moment they have more than 3.5 times the number cases and 8 times our number of deaths.  They have 180 cases per 1m population, we have 108.  They have 3 deaths per 1m population, we have 0.5.  The difference is that although they started with cases on the same day as us they went exponential well before us and went through the 1,000 cases mark nearly 3 weeks before us.  At the same early stage their curve was significantly steeper than ours is now but they started to flatten their curve 10 days later.  We are 4 days into that steep phase and it will be interesting to see if we can match what happened in South Korea.  If we do our curve will be somewhere near half way between western Europe's and the better Asian countries.

Edited by Flytox

Couple of glasses of Rose , starting to spin

fuuck Corona v  fuuck dumb people 

stay safe and apart WSW forumites!,:drinks:

42 minutes ago, wendybr said:

To Marron's question

Some working from home all week...like ME!!

Was sick and exhausted on Monday (don't think I slept more than an hour) and not 100% on Tues - and have just kept going, with Principal's consent.

I'm very happy to be in self imposed lockdown tbh.

We've only had a handful of kids on site, learning 100% on line, with minimal supervision. Microsoft teams and Google Classroom delivery of most materials, I think.

I've been working like crazy, tbh.  :tired::tired:

:grouphug:

Considering our proximity to the original outbreak and time to plan we should have been considerably better placed to combat the outbreak. Instead we currently could go either way but with half arsed government measures and a public spurred on by business as usual rhetoric leads us down a very dangerous path. 

Treating this as an economic emergency as opposed to a health emergency is seriously flawed and ignores the fact that defeating this outbreak earlier would result in significant economic advantages as opposed to dragging this out and risking lives and truly essential services.

12 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

Considering our proximity to the original outbreak and time to plan we should have been considerably better placed to combat the outbreak. Instead we currently could go either way but with half arsed government measures and a public spurred on by business as usual rhetoric leads us down a very dangerous path. 

Treating this as an economic emergency as opposed to a health emergency is seriously flawed and ignores the fact that defeating this outbreak earlier would result in significant economic advantages as opposed to dragging this out and risking lives and truly essential services.

100% this imo.

41 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Couple of glasses of Rose , starting to spin

fuuck Corona v  fuuck dumb people 

stay safe and apart WSW forumites!,:drinks:

Bottles finished wife telling me to shut up...

3 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Bottles finished wife telling me to shut up...

I presume you can't talk while drinking .......

43 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

You only need to see that happened with barbers and hairdressers to see what Morrison’s focus is.

30 min maximum. Then the barbers and hairdressers say they can’t get the job done in that time (though I’ve never sat in a barber’s chair for anywhere near 30 min) and so what do they do? Close them down? No, the remove the restrictions.

Doesn’t that beg the question - was it a health recommendation and if so why are you not enforcing it?

Third Ruby Princess passenger has died :(

There should an independent inquiry in to this debacle when all done. Even then those chunts responsible will be untouchable.

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Third Ruby Princess passenger has died :(

There should an independent inquiry in to this debacle when all done. Even then those chunts responsible will be untouchable.

I'll try and find the link and post it but one of the bods from Border Force says they aren't the ones responsible for Border Security....lol

Love how it's always

"don't politicise this, now is not the time"

And then Gladys and Dutton (effectively) spend the day arguing over who's fault it was.

2 hours ago, Flytox said:

Our stats are better than at least 15 western European and Scandinavian countries at the same stage of the pandemic.  A couple of those countries appear now to be starting to flatten the curve but the rest are pretty much flatlining.  We have had an apparent dip in the number of cases in the last couple of days but it might just be daily variations or it may also be differences in the stage of the different population centres in Australia.  We are 1 to 3 weeks behind most of western Europe.

South Korea is an interesting country to compare us to.  They had a MERS outbreak in 2015 so they are experienced in dealing with a recent serious outbreak.  They have a population that is double ours while at the moment they have more than 3.5 times the number cases and 8 times our number of deaths.  They have 180 cases per 1m population, we have 108.  They have 3 deaths per 1m population, we have 0.5.  The difference is that although they started with cases on the same day as us they went exponential well before us and went through the 1,000 cases mark nearly 3 weeks before us.  At the same early stage their curve was significantly steeper than ours is now but they started to flatten their curve 10 days later.  We are 4 days into that steep phase and it will be interesting to see if we can match what happened in South Korea.  If we do our curve will be somewhere near half way between western Europe's and the better Asian countries.

In the end, the fact that we have dense population centres that are far apart may save us.

29 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

It seems like that’s why no cruise ships are allowed to enter. Border force blaming NSW Health, NSW saying it followed the guidelines & went beyond but still cases got inside. They are putting it down to 1) Ship outright lying that there was no sick patients 2) Patients only fell sick on day of departure but I think the most likely answer is 3) C19 was spreading like wildfire but nobody reported symptoms cause they didn’t want to have to stay on ship.

Seems like they are drawing up new guidelines now between state & federal bodies

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

The government has been very coy on what’s its end game is with c19. If we were aiming to eradicate the virus we would have gone into lock down weeks ago. If we did go into lockdown & eradicated the virus, we’d have to shut down the entire country from the rest of the world till a vaccine becomes available otherwise we’d be open to another pandemic & we do this all over again.

Are they aiming for herd immunity theory? Impossible to say no but there are so many unknowns that it would be reckless if that is their end goal. Perhaps the in between theory & short term goal of flattening the curve so our hospital system can handle the sick requiring ICU. Then just deal with things as they come?

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

You only need to see that happened with barbers and hairdressers to see what Morrison’s focus is.

30 min maximum. Then the barbers and hairdressers say they can’t get the job done in that time (though I’ve never sat in a barber’s chair for anywhere near 30 min) and so what do they do? Close them down? No, the remove the restrictions.

Doesn’t that beg the question - was it a health recommendation and if so why are you not enforcing it?

I saw someone (rightly) call the 30 min limit almost sexism, because I don't know many men who would be in there for more than 30 mins, and very few women who would be there for less than 30 mins.

The CEO of Toni and Guy said it was ridiculous to roll back the restrictions because it was putting hairdressers at risk regardless (and they'd already closed their franchises). Why is it dangerous for a health person to be in close proximity to the public for an extended period of time, and not other professions?

-------

48 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'll try and find the link and post it but one of the bods from Border Force says they aren't the ones responsible for Border Security....lol

I posted this yesterday (from ABC):

On 25/03/2020 at 11:51 AM, Carns said:
Head of Border Force just did a press conference to blame NSW Health (the argument was Border Force's jurisdiction is only for immigration):

He said when a vessel arrives in Australia, there are "three red lights" that have to go green before passenger and crew could disembark.

Those red lights are: customs, immigration and human biosecurity. He said Border Force was only responsible for the immigration part of that.

"One is the customs test — are you carrying contraband, alcohol, prohibited substances?" he said.

"The other is a visa — are you entitled to be in Australia? That is the Australian Border Force's responsibility, we are legislated to undertake those tasks.

"The third is the biosecurity test, that is undertaken at the Commonwealth level. The state and territory health departments have responsibilities as well in this crisis."

Here's the crucial point he's making after questioning from journalists:

"The decision to allow them off in relation to the health and biosecurity issue was one of New South Wales Health."

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

I saw someone (rightly) call the 30 min limit almost sexism, because I don't know many men who would be in there for more than 30 mins, and very few women who would be there for less than 30 mins.

The CEO of Toni and Guy said it was ridiculous to roll back the restrictions because it was putting hairdressers at risk regardless (and they'd already closed their franchises). Why is it dangerous for a health person to be in close proximity to the public for an extended period of time, and not other professions?

-------

I posted this yesterday (from ABC):

Im usually in the barbers for longer than 30mins :D

I wasnt going to grow my hair out again after i had it all choped off a few months back but may as well now i figure.

This might get lost in the current thread, considering how quickly it is moving, but anyhow....

I rang a mate of mine this arvo. A Kiwi who lives in Auckland. He is in lock down, as was processed by Jacinta Adern  a few day ago.

Like me, he runs his own building company. He was absolutely in agreeance that NZ should have been shut down.

They are getting plenty of news from Oz. He couldn't believe that we still, are not in lockdown. He said the Kiwis are dealing with it. He has 45 employees and will deal with the consequences eventually. NZ Govt funding is helping. He understands that things could be far worse for him if they didn't lock down. He also cannot believe we (Oz) didn't shut down at least 3 weeks ago.

This is an opinion from a Kiwi who is just watching Sky News NZ. He seemed to know how shite we are dealing with this, better than most dumb arse Aussies.

Don't know how credible it is but a reliable friend told me on her reliable evidence that Gladys wanted to shut down a week and a half ago, but Morrison wouldn't hear of it.

She has looked distraught, every time I've seen her in front of a camera.

He is a sociopath. Well, that's how I see him.

The barber/hairdresser's  idiocy is unbelievable, and reckless.

What a time to have Liberals in charge of things. :(:(

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Don't know how credible it is but a reliable friend told me on her reliable evidence that Gladys wanted to shut down a week and a half ago, but Morrison wouldn't hear of it.

She had looked distraught, every time I've seen her in front of a camera.

He is a sociopath. Well, that's how I see him.

The barber/hairdresser's  idiocy is unbelievable, and reckless.

Gladys looks a year older every time i see her, she hasnt got it totally right but she cares..that does come across for me, it is not just about the $ for her.

ScoMo is a ******* filthy scum bag that can get ****ed to hell.

15 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

This might get lost in the current thread, considering how quickly it is moving, but anyhow....

I rang a mate of mine this arvo. A Kiwi who lives in Auckland. He is in lock down, as was processed by Jacinta Adern  a few day ago.

Like me, he runs his own building company. He was absolutely in agreeance that NZ should have been shut down.

They are getting plenty of news from Oz. He couldn't believe that we still, are not in lockdown. He said the Kiwis are dealing with it. He has 45 employees and will deal with the consequences eventually. NZ Govt funding is helping. He understands that things could be far worse for him if they didn't lock down. He also cannot believe we (Oz) didn't shut down at least 3 weeks ago.

This is an opinion from a Kiwi who is just watching Sky News NZ. He seemed to know how shite we are dealing with this, better than most dumb arse Aussies.

As said at the time, 100 cases, and they acted.

They will be through it while we will be in who-knows-what state.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

To be honest Wendy, I'm not sure the clowns from Labor would have done any better.

Scovirus has been hopeless. You reckon Albanese would have been better? I don't.

Keating, Howard, Hawke, Whitlam, even Fraser, would have provided better leadership. They were leaders. Morrison is a follower.