marron

Armageddon Thread

Not surprised BoJo go it, ts been floating around Westminster for a while, was only a matter of time.

He's grown in stature a little through this....is my impression?

Has he?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Has he?

According to my parents YES, and they are nailed on hardcore Labour supporters. I spoke with them yesterday and they said 'thank god Corbyn didn't win', that's the feeling in the UK.

Edited by Smoggy

Yes - from what I've seen, he seems to have been on the right track, and not at all like the buffoon across the Atlantic.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Yes - from what I've seen, he seems to have been on the right track, and not at all like the buffoon across the Atlantic.

People in the UK feel an emotional bond with the NHS and he has tapped in to that. They are doing this clapping video thing now to thank the front line NHS workers. The UK will mobilize behind the health service probably like no other.

The old girl has joined a women's group helping to collate and pack supplies for isolated old people without big families in and around Middlesbrough, said she couldn't keep away :D She will be bossing people around and shouting out orders :rolleyes:

Edited by Smoggy

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

People in the UK feel an emotional bond with the NHS and he has tapped in to that. They are doing this clapping video thing now to thank the front line NHS workers. The UK will mobilize behind the health service probably like no other.

The old girl has joined a women's group helping to collate and pack supplies for isolated old people without big families in and around Middlesbrough, said she couldn't keep away :D She will be bossing people around and shouting our orders :rolleyes:

Good old fashioned British fighting spirit, eh?  

Good to see! 

And good on your Mum!  :good:

I was just talking to my son about BoJo getting Covid and my sons says with a concerned voice 'what if our PM gets it'.......:D

1 hour ago, StillWandering said:

This has not been happening until very recently. We have approximately 30 cases in our community and until today only people meeting the strict criteria have been tested.

China would be your best example but in general it would seem our Asian neighbours in general have taken a stronger approach towards the virus. Perhaps we could hope to emulate the South Koreans but I don't think our populace has the sensibility. 

Our first case reported in the community occurred on 2 March.  It was announced by the state Health Minister.

We are doing better than South Korea was at the same time of their outbreak in both cases per 1 m population and deaths per 1 m population.  We will reach where their curve started to flatten in 9 or 10 days time so it will be interesting to see how we compare to them then.

1 minute ago, Flytox said:

Our first case reported in the community occurred on 2 March.  It was announced by the state Health Minister.

We are doing better than South Korea was at the same time of their outbreak in both cases per 1 m population and deaths per 1 m population.  We will reach where their curve started to flatten in 9 or 10 days time so it will be interesting to see how we compare to them then.

I know we've found evidence of community transmission, but a low number of test kits until recently has prevented proactive testing for it.

South Korea didn't have the advantage of time or proximity and also had the added hindrance of purposeful spread of the virus by a cult. Yes it will be interesting to see whether we can follow their path, I really hope we can, but the cruise ship debacle has thrown a spanner in the works at this crucial time. 

3 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

I know we've found evidence of community transmission, but a low number of test kits until recently has prevented proactive testing for it.

South Korea didn't have the advantage of time or proximity and also had the added hindrance of purposeful spread of the virus by a cult. Yes it will be interesting to see whether we can follow their path, I really hope we can, but the cruise ship debacle has thrown a spanner in the works at this crucial time. 

The last I saw there was 133 cases tied to the cruise ship.  I don't know how current that is.

Interestingly China has had continuing infection and deaths since it started letting people back in to the country.

10 hours ago, Flytox said:

The last I saw there was 133 cases tied to the cruise ship.  I don't know how current that is.

Interestingly China has had continuing infection and deaths since it started letting people back in to the country.

They (overseas returnees) were going strictly into quarantine though. Straight off the planes, as it should be.

So the continuing infection and deaths could just be from people returning?

13 minutes ago, Flytox said:

As of this afternoon I saw reports of 160+. 

Yeh the risk of reintroduction is high, thus no matter what happens in the near future a strong border quarantine policy is a must. We must take advantage of our isolation.

Snap shot

As of the reading I have now

Total infected == 552,639

Total Died  === 25,044 OR 4.53 %

Seriously Ill ==== 21,062 OR 3.81 %

"You'll be glad you came" :/

12 minutes ago, marron said:

"You'll be glad you came" :/

..........with a happy ending...?     :D

10 hours ago, Davo said:

The problem here is that, in his own written words written he is NOW self-isolating, and in his own spoken words, he is positive for Coronavirus and SO he is self-isolating.

For **** sake the message is that people need to be self-isolating whether or not they have the symptoms.

I don't understand how these politicians, who spend their lives avoiding questions and staying "on message", can't stay on message here: "You could have it now without showing symptoms", "You have to act like you have it", "Self-isolate as if you have it." 

Is it that hard?

20 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Lol @ Boris....

If it looks like an idiot , talks like an idiot.....

Because these politicians in particular see the big government instructions as being ideologically unsound. So they can't bring themselves to take that role properly.

1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

The problem here is that, in his own written words written he is NOW self-isolating, and in his own spoken words, he is positive for Coronavirus and SO he is self-isolating.

For **** sake the message is that people need to be self-isolating whether or not they have the symptoms.

I don't understand how these politicians, who spend their lives avoiding questions and staying "on message", can't stay on message here: "You could have it now without showing symptoms", "You have to act like you have it", "Self-isolate as if you have it." 

Is it that hard?

So true!

I'm on my 8th day of home isolation..with the exception of 2 reluctant quick trips to the shops for food...where I wore washing up gloves!  :lol:

Couldnt care less what I look like. :pardon:

Will wear a scarf out too, from here on...pulled up like a crim I think. :xnod:

And I do take precautions with what I do with what I bring inside. Got a routine for that now too.

The idea that the virus lives on surfaces for...I think 17 days they've found!!...is freaky!

Anyway...feels better to have some new routines in place rather than doing things as usual, for the time being.

Stay safe people!

:):)

17 minutes ago, Carns said:

Couple of weeks back at a little IGA,  I was offered a free Daily Telecrap. I declined the offer.

12 hours ago, wendybr said:

Has he?

Whilst many might disagree with the actions taken, Boris does deliver his updates with a fair bit of empathy which is exactly what is required in these times. Morrison isn't doing too bad but he still appears to have a permanent smirk on his face which isn't a good look. As for Trump....words fail me !!

2 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst many might disagree with the actions taken, Boris does deliver his updates with a fair bit of empathy which is exactly what is required in these times. Morrison isn't doing too bad but he still appears to have a permanent smirk on his face which isn't a good look. As for Trump....words fail me !!

And then there's this from Brazil:

Bolsonaro subsequently admitted lives would be lost but added: “That’s life.”

“You can’t shut down a car factory because people die in traffic accidents,” Bolsonaro said.

Brazil’s far-right leader — who is pushing for tough lockdown measures to be lifted in states across the country — is facing growing fury from across the political spectrum and the country’s media.

In an article titled “Trial of the future”, the Brazilian writer Ruy Castro captured the revolt: “There’s a sense that, if Jair Bolsonaro isn’t tied to a tree and gagged, before making any more disastrous moves, the cost in lives will be incalculable. But one day these lives will be counted.”

Castro added: “Every single member of the government who, with their deeds or words, opposed the policy of social distancing and helped coronavirus spread will have to pay the price ... It isn’t right to call Jair Bolsonaro irresponsible. He is the person most responsible for whatever happens in Brazil — and he will have to answer for it.”

Bolsonaro is as dangerous as Trump. I'd say people would riot in the streets, but that'd make the virus spread worse.

For an advertising exec, Morrison is doing awfully, imo. Never mind the smirk, and no, it doesn't help. But scheduling the press conferences at like 9PM or whatever, I mean, wtf is that. That alone is dumb dumb dumb. That needs to be done during the day so that when people get home they have a clear idea about tomorrow. Then the absolute murder of clarity - the "everybody is an essential worker" rubbish is the prime example, but there are plenty of others (not least the schools messaging, where he has steadfastly refused to acknowledge that he is putting teachers at risk - like, not even acknowledging that yes, they are on the frontline and it's a big ask but has to be done). And then the castigation of people for not following his unclear directions and the dog-whistling on "unaustralian" and the like. Very very poor.