marron

Armageddon Thread

Posted (edited)

It's sad that leaders like Bolsonaro and Trump essentially get their policy statements from twitter.

The car accident thing has been used by both (and others on that side). It's pathetic.

****! I caught a car accident and there is no cure.

Edited by marron

12 minutes ago, marron said:

For an advertising exec, Morrison is doing awfully, imo. Never mind the smirk, and no, it doesn't help. But scheduling the press conferences at like 9PM or whatever, I mean, wtf is that. That alone is dumb dumb dumb. That needs to be done during the day so that when people get home they have a clear idea about tomorrow. Then the absolute murder of clarity - the "everybody is an essential worker" rubbish is the prime example, but there are plenty of others (not least the schools messaging, where he has steadfastly refused to acknowledge that he is putting teachers at risk - like, not even acknowledging that yes, they are on the frontline and it's a big ask but has to be done). And then the castigation of people for not following his unclear directions and the dog-whistling on "unaustralian" and the like. Very very poor.

He did get sacked from a couple of those advertising jobs, after all. And the press conference thing is because that's after the Gov meetings, and people might criticise him if he waited until the following day. Probably better to issue dot point press releases and then go into detail the following morning.

At the end of the day he's a (poor) marketing man who thrives best on slogans and stunts, not leadership and clear messaging when required.

In the US, Gizmodo is reporting that a 17-year-old boy has become the first coronavirus patient to die after being denied treatment because he lacked private health insurance. Gizmodo reports:

A 17-year-old boy in Los Angeles County who became the first teen believed to have died from complications with covid-19 in the U.S. was denied treatment at an urgent care clinic because he didn’t have health insurance, according to R. Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California.

“He didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him,” Parris said in a video posted to YouTube:

Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, tweeted about the news, calling it “barbaric”.

imo nobody was going to take Morrison seriously after beaching while the bushfires were happening

So all those people congregating at St Kilda and Bondi doesn't surprise me

4 hours ago, sonar said:

..........with a happy ending...?     :D

Mine is:

Wake up, break the rules,  rock the boat, make love, fall over laughing 

Not too bad ;)

As much as I can't stand Boris, after totally stuffing it up at the start he, is doing ok right now. He's a big Churchill fan I can you see he is basically copying his tone and body language for this. Boris might do alright as he is type of leader who will just do whatever he thinks and hold to it. "Get, Covid Done"

Morrison is way to concerned with public opinion, hence his tentative (is this ok? kind of response) and re-activeness. 

We are f*cked with a failed marketing exec in charge. I can't stand Gladys either but at least she is clear (she is a hard arse)

Arden is where it's at, Strong, Clear, Compassionate, Practical.. that said it's easy to shut down NZ, there isn't really anything to shut down.

57 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Mine is:

Wake up, break the rules,  rock the boat, make love, fall over laughing 

Not too bad ;)

What movie is that? Sounds good.

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

As much as I can't stand Boris, after totally stuffing it up at the start he, is doing ok right now. He's a big Churchill fan I can you see he is basically copying his tone and body language for this. Boris might do alright as he is type of leader who will just do whatever he thinks and hold to it. "Get, Covid Done"

Morrison is way to concerned with public opinion, hence his tentative (is this ok? kind of response) and re-activeness. 

We are f*cked with a failed marketing exec in charge. I can't stand Gladys either but at least she is clear (she is a hard arse)

Arden is where it's at, Strong, Clear, Compassionate, Practical.. that said it's easy to shut down NZ, there isn't really anything to shut down.

Agree with all that.

But re Gladys  being a hard ass, well I say, not hard enough.

The 2 days of declining numbers have been followed by today's increase (not sure what it is, but numbers are up).

Surely the Ruby Princess cohort, who spread out across the nation would hardly have started to figure in the numbers....but will from here on?

I think I heard that, in  today's figures,  only 5% were attributable to travel from overseas. As opposed to the vast majority of cases.

By all means, returning  overseas travellers should be quarantined ...should have happened weeks  ago.

But leaving today's announcement by Gladys at nothing more than that,  means that things will escalate from here...imo. :(

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Agree with all that.

But re Gladys  being a hard ass, well I say, not hard enough.

The 2 days of declining numbers have been followed by today's increase (not sure what it is, but numbers are up).

Surely the Ruby Princess cohort, who spread out across the nation would hardly have started to figure in the numbers....but will from here on?

I think I heard that, in  today's figures,  only 5% were attributable to travel from overseas. As opposed to the vast majority of cases.

By all means, returning  overseas travellers should be quarantined ...should have happened weeks  ago.

But leaving today's announcement by Gladys at nothing more than that,  means that things will escalate from here...imo. :(

agree she needs to do way more, at least though she communicates clearly, if Morrison's failure wasn't so dangerous it would be funny

6 minutes ago, sonar said:

Will others follow Perths lead.....

What a ****.

Sager has been sooking for months about the cost of Running Perth Glory Popa nearly brought him a premiership last year , Sage is sounding desperate

14 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Sager has been sooking for months about the cost of Running Perth Glory Popa nearly brought him a premiership last year , Sage is sounding desperate

He has lost a total of $35m since he took over the club and he has said that he will need a partner to continue in the Indie A League so this may well be the final straw for him.

4 hours ago, Ossified said:

And then there's this from Brazil:

Bolsonaro subsequently admitted lives would be lost but added: “That’s life.”

“You can’t shut down a car factory because people die in traffic accidents,” Bolsonaro said.

Brazil’s far-right leader — who is pushing for tough lockdown measures to be lifted in states across the country — is facing growing fury from across the political spectrum and the country’s media.

In an article titled “Trial of the future”, the Brazilian writer Ruy Castro captured the revolt: “There’s a sense that, if Jair Bolsonaro isn’t tied to a tree and gagged, before making any more disastrous moves, the cost in lives will be incalculable. But one day these lives will be counted.”

Castro added: “Every single member of the government who, with their deeds or words, opposed the policy of social distancing and helped coronavirus spread will have to pay the price ... It isn’t right to call Jair Bolsonaro irresponsible. He is the person most responsible for whatever happens in Brazil — and he will have to answer for it.”

Was just reading this thread on Reddit. Not sure if will link?

Truly heartbreaking!

Thought this was interesting, from the Deputy Chief Medical Officer's presser this arvo:

'The age range in starting to get lower' 

While Professor Kelly says that most of the people to die a coronavirus-related death have been in their 80s and 90s, the age range is getting lower.

"There was a 68-year-old person who has passed away," he says. 

In terms of hospitalisation, 389 cases have been hospitalised since the first cases of coronavirus in Australia back in January. 

This represents just 11 per cent of total cases, he says.

And there have been 39 cases that have been admitted to intensive care.

So 11% of cases are hospitalised, and 10% of those are in intensive care.

2 hours ago, Carns said:

What a ****.

Wooooo hooooo you’re **** arghhh

him not you obviously 

I hate Perth and their Wacky Soccer AM fans

5 hours ago, btron3000 said:

What movie is that? Sounds good.

Hahaha its barefoot in the park. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda 

Where all in this together, apart from Tony Sage (Perth Glory Owner) who has stood down player's immediately on NO pay. Nice bloke.

1 hour ago, HollowedHeart said:

3udtap.jpg

But it can't hurt.

The little blue line at the bottom is Australia.  This is a chart of the top 9 countries in Covid-19 cases with total cases plotted against days since they passed 100 cases.  At the moment 18 days after we passed 100 cases we are going comparatively well but where we end up is the important fact.  I've got data for the top 20 countries of which we are 19th and only Canada and Norway are better than us at the 18th day.  Looking at deaths gives a totally different picture and we are in the mid 30's and I hope we stay there.

Posted (edited)

The chart didn't load.  lol

Edited by Flytox

Walked past my local Coles here in WA yesterday, saw a few people walking out and they all had toilet paper.

First time I've seen it in a few weeks, so went in and bought some then put it into a postage box back to the family in Sydney.

Hope this eases off soon.

7 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Walked past my local Coles here in WA yesterday, saw a few people walking out and they all had toilet paper.

First time I've seen it in a few weeks, so went in and bought some then put it into a postage box back to the family in Sydney.

Hope this eases off soon.

What an age we live in. Needing to buy TP to mail home.

Most shops in Sydney seem to have enough now too and with rationing of 1 or 2 packs each, we should be okay.