Jump to content
marron

Armageddon Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Not anymore...I made it back!

btron made a pretty good summation of events...essentially I only made it back through the efforts of some random Aussies in Ecuador, and a lot of luck. 

Had to fly from Ecuador to Miami, then the next day to San Francisco, which got cancelled and subsequently changed to Chicago and then San Fran, and then Sydney. So total travel time of about 2 days, most of which was through the epicentre of the virus right now. But I don't seem to have got it yet.

Was a tough decision whether to leave or not, but I figured if I didn't go now I might not get the chance for a long time. The airlines said they were ceasing operations at the end of the month...and there was no way to get to Santiago cos all the borders were closed, so I had to take the above option. I only got out of Ecuador on a 'humanitarian' flight ($900 for a 4 hour flight!)

I never expected the government to put in any effort to get us out of Ecuador, but I expected them to at least pretend to help. It's kinda **** being in a place where all the Americans, English, Canadians...hell, Mexicans and Argentinians are all getting offers from their govt to bring them home, and we don't even get replies to our emails. And then you watch a clip from the news back home and Marise Payne is claiming credit for getting the people from Peru back home! Literally all the government did was grant the permit for the charter flight, everything else was organised by the people themselves.

Like I said, I was always realistic about Ecuador not being high up on the list, but for example there are at least 400 (probably many more) stuck in India right now, which is about as bad a place as you can get to be stuck in at a time like this. They are seeing England, for example, commit to getting a charter flight to get their citizens out, but still nothing from our government. 

Anyway, I'm in quarantine at the Novotel right now! Very surreal. Got off the plane, after the health checks etc escorted on a bus to a mystery location, then to hotel, then dumped in my room, told I can't leave or even open the window! Escorted by ADF personnel the whole time. Get three mystery meals delivered to me every day, of varying quality. 

It's fine for me and I support the quarantine...in fact I thought they should've been doing it weeks ago. But the complete lack of help from the Govt to ppl overseas is so disheartening. Yeah, there are some dickheads out there who left two weeks ago, but most of the ppl overseas were there long before any of this started. Obviously the govt can't get everyone home, but having lived the experience, I know that they're not even trying.

One of the reasons I got out is you don't want to be in a country like Ecuador if **** really hits the fan. There are thousands of Aussies stranded in similar places and it's only going to get worse if they can't get out. At least I had an apartment and spoke the language, and even a job (albeit one which stopped paying me my full salary). If you're stuck in a hostel somewhere out there it's gonna get ugly fast.

Anyway, good to be back! 

 

 

Welcome back, Novotel, can you raid the mini bar and watch hotel porn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Obviously the govt can't get everyone home, but having lived the experience, I know that they're not even trying.

Glad you’re home, I read this piece & thought about you & all those abroad. It sounds like our diplomatic missions aren’t what they used to be. Glad you are home & safe now

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/coronavirus-traps-australians-overseas-amid-dfat-warnings/12067020?pfmredir=sm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next number we need to keep an eye on is community transmission. This is number now to watch & the one we need to make sure that it doesn’t get out of control

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-31/coronavirus-community-transmission-on-rise-in-nsw/12103390

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

The next number we need to keep an eye on is community transmission. This is number now to watch & the one we need to make sure that it doesn’t get out of control

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-31/coronavirus-community-transmission-on-rise-in-nsw/12103390

To be fair from my observations most people are being reasonable and do the right thing.None of us have any experience with this sort of thing. 

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Not anymore...I made it back!

btron made a pretty good summation of events...essentially I only made it back through the efforts of some random Aussies in Ecuador, and a lot of luck. 

Had to fly from Ecuador to Miami, then the next day to San Francisco, which got cancelled and subsequently changed to Chicago and then San Fran, and then Sydney. So total travel time of about 2 days, most of which was through the epicentre of the virus right now. But I don't seem to have got it yet.

Was a tough decision whether to leave or not, but I figured if I didn't go now I might not get the chance for a long time. The airlines said they were ceasing operations at the end of the month...and there was no way to get to Santiago cos all the borders were closed, so I had to take the above option. I only got out of Ecuador on a 'humanitarian' flight ($900 for a 4 hour flight!)

I never expected the government to put in any effort to get us out of Ecuador, but I expected them to at least pretend to help. It's kinda **** being in a place where all the Americans, English, Canadians...hell, Mexicans and Argentinians are all getting offers from their govt to bring them home, and we don't even get replies to our emails. And then you watch a clip from the news back home and Marise Payne is claiming credit for getting the people from Peru back home! Literally all the government did was grant the permit for the charter flight, everything else was organised by the people themselves.

Like I said, I was always realistic about Ecuador not being high up on the list, but for example there are at least 400 (probably many more) stuck in India right now, which is about as bad a place as you can get to be stuck in at a time like this. They are seeing England, for example, commit to getting a charter flight to get their citizens out, but still nothing from our government. 

Anyway, I'm in quarantine at the Novotel right now! Very surreal. Got off the plane, after the health checks etc escorted on a bus to a mystery location, then to hotel, then dumped in my room, told I can't leave or even open the window! Escorted by ADF personnel the whole time. Get three mystery meals delivered to me every day, of varying quality. 

It's fine for me and I support the quarantine...in fact I thought they should've been doing it weeks ago. But the complete lack of help from the Govt to ppl overseas is so disheartening. Yeah, there are some dickheads out there who left two weeks ago, but most of the ppl overseas were there long before any of this started. Obviously the govt can't get everyone home, but having lived the experience, I know that they're not even trying.

One of the reasons I got out is you don't want to be in a country like Ecuador if **** really hits the fan. There are thousands of Aussies stranded in similar places and it's only going to get worse if they can't get out. At least I had an apartment and spoke the language, and even a job (albeit one which stopped paying me my full salary). If you're stuck in a hostel somewhere out there it's gonna get ugly fast.

Anyway, good to be back! 

 

 

Next time inform the Liberal government you’re an au pair to a wealthy donor family

You’ll be put in the Park Hyatt penthouse or equivalent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, marron said:

 

:topshelf:

Now,now.......be nice.......:D

Tbh it's a bit of a struggle to work out what to do for him because by law we're breaking the law by just going for a drive. We now have cops diving into parks and clearing away everyone for just sunbaking even while social distancing. What do you do. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sonar said:

Now,now.......be nice.......:D

Tbh it's a bit of a struggle to work out what to do for him because by law we're breaking the law by just going for a drive. We now have cops diving into parks and clearing away everyone for just sunbaking even while social distancing. What do you do. ?

If people are allowed to got out for a jog I'd argue that taking the elderly out for a drive in the confines of a car is a fairly low risk form of mental exercise. Plus if anyone ever questioned you just say you're taking him to a doctors appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wendybr said:

That happened to one of our own supporters (May have had account on here too?) who came across it when walking his own street :acute:

16 hours ago, sonar said:

To be fair from my observations most people are being reasonable and do the right thing.None of us have any experience with this sort of thing. 

This is true but some modeling (which I’m sure I posted to here) shows that it requires 8/10 Australians in order to follow social distancing to curb c19, if it drops to 7/10 then that’s all it takes for it to spiral out of control.

We can’t just have “most” people being “reasonable”. It really needs everyone to play their part. Same goes for backpackers, most are doing the right thing but that isn’t good enough, we need everyone on our shores pulling their weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that are interested in data analysis here's an interesting way of visualising the progression of the virus in different countries. From the thumbnail you can see that there's a strong correlation between the number of cases in a country (x-axis) and the number of new cases they will generate in a week (y-axis). Since the virus spreads exponentially the logarithmic scales make it a straight line. Once you get things under control you drop off that line as the spread is no longer exponential.

The source graph is available here: https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

The good news is Australia is showing the first signs of leaving the line and dropping off, meaning we've slowed the exponential growth and started to gain some control. Still, it's only a small drop and other countries have had similar drops, been less vigilant and returned to the line. Need to keep going with the preventive measures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mrs n I , well , more her, have been cooking up a storm during Coronaggedon!  Today was homemade sausages! 
was thinking of calling them “ JackDoff Bangers”  :xnod:

 

 

sounds like a movie  :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JackDoff said:

The Mrs n I , well , more her, have been cooking up a storm during Coronaggedon!  Today was homemade sausages! 
was thinking of calling them “ JackDoff Bangers”  :xnod:

 

 

sounds like a movie  :ninja:

I'd be surprised if it wasnt a catergory on PornHub...everything else is.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackDoff said:

The Mrs n I , well , more her, have been cooking up a storm during Coronaggedon!  Today was homemade sausages! 
was thinking of calling them “ JackDoff Bangers”  :xnod:

 

 

sounds like a movie  :ninja:

The R Rated version.......JackDoff Bangers new cinematic masterpiece..."Look Mum,No Hands"

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I'd be surprised if it wasnt a catergory on PornHub...everything else is.

Apologies to Mack for the advertising...other porn sites are available........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fmd. When I hear of various industries putting there hand out for bailouts I get livid. Airlines that haven't paid tax in over a decade with executives making 50k a day, and now the childcare centres asking for money. Yeezus, those centres onwers have been gutting families for years. How many poorly run enterprises have been just licking their lips at the possibility of passing the buck on incompetency is amazing. 

Let's debate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best solution I've seen for any company wanting a bailout:

No problem - we will give you the tax you paid over the last 5 years and not a cent more. ****s.

Short of that

- Bailout is dependent on keeping people employed. Sack your staff, forget the ******* cash.

 

Any complaints, talk to the ******* market forces. No customers, no business. I'm sure when there are customers again the market will provide. Isn't that the deal? If it's not you, it will be someone else, and that's COMPETIITION BABY.

 

Don't agree? Nationalisation. If you can't keep yourself afloat, no problem, we'll do it for you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, marron said:

Best solution I've seen for any company wanting a bailout:

No problem - we will give you the tax you paid over the last 5 years and not a cent more. ****s.

Short of that

- Bailout is dependent on keeping people employed. Sack your staff, forget the ******* cash.

 

Any complaints, talk to the ******* market forces. No customers, no business. I'm sure when there are customers again the market will provide. Isn't that the deal? If it's not you, it will be someone else, and that's COMPETIITION BABY.

 

Don't agree? Nationalisation. If you can't keep yourself afloat, no problem, we'll do it for you.

 

amazing how quite the small government / RWNJ libertarians have been lately.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mate, when the ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT has even made Andrew Bolt and Trump advocate government spending it's probably best to lie low so they don't come for you too, you know.

Edited by marron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

amazing how quite the small government / RWNJ libertarians have been lately.. 

 

And watch Morrison and Frydenberg morph into Marx and Engels.

Edited by Ossified
spellinng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Ugh

Hahaha - now, tell us what you really think, Em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

was about to post this, i am going to run out in the street and just cough on everyone and tell everyone to cough on me, he prayed for us we are all completely safe now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ossified said:

And watch Morrison and Frydenberg morph into Marx and Engels.

At least these overpaid politicians are finally earning their money, what is disturbing is the number of major ceo's that all resigned from large corporations so that they don't have to deal with the situation and protect their own financial interests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also how hard is it to sleep with the brain on overdrive thinking about the situation, im lucky i know I'll get through it but very worried for a few close mates who have alot of young kids and will be off work for months and are now desperate to find any work. 

One m8 already told me that depression is kicking in and being trapped at home isn't helping, I'm trying to help but it's hard to. Alot of helpline services are swamped and m8s like mine won't call anyway. 

If anyone can help everyone with ideas or activities to help keep the brain stimulated on here would be a nice gesture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Also how hard is it to sleep with the brain on overdrive thinking about the situation, im lucky i know I'll get through it but very worried for a few close mates who have alot of young kids and will be off work for months and are now desperate to find any work. 

One m8 already told me that depression is kicking in and being trapped at home isn't helping, I'm trying to help but it's hard to. Alot of helpline services are swamped and m8s like mine won't call anyway. 

If anyone can help everyone with ideas or activities to help keep the brain stimulated on here would be a nice gesture. 

:grouphug::grouphug:

Take care Burger!

PS I'll have a think about a response for tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Also how hard is it to sleep with the brain on overdrive thinking about the situation, im lucky i know I'll get through it but very worried for a few close mates who have alot of young kids and will be off work for months and are now desperate to find any work. 

One m8 already told me that depression is kicking in and being trapped at home isn't helping, I'm trying to help but it's hard to. Alot of helpline services are swamped and m8s like mine won't call anyway. 

If anyone can help everyone with ideas or activities to help keep the brain stimulated on here would be a nice gesture. 

i am sorry you are going through so much, i usually sleep in front of the television with any garbage on, its easy to get lost inside your thoughts while you are alone with them but if you have something it can really help(at least for me), currently losing myself in a few videos games and while video games are not for everyone obviously you can lose youself in anything, books, tv shows, movies, ect also exercise always helps mental health(well usually helps)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...