Armageddon Thread

marron

6 minutes ago, sonar said:

As I said personally  i have no problems with the app as I won't be using it but  would feel a lot better if they released the source code under the GNU General Public Licence and allow for worldwide scutiny or use.

This was one of the things that was promised but maybe this will happen once it’s released? It’s still being developed & a few agencies are still to complete their final reports.

8 hours ago, sonar said:

I'm saying that regardless of whoever has/holds the data that the phones collect there will be people who will try to get it. I'm not trying to be all tin foil hat here or suggesting the govt has nefarious reasons for the app ( though with the current govt I wouldn't be surprised ) I'm just putting out there peoples concerns.

Would you buy a Huawei phone and be confident that all your data is secure.? Why have govts around the world been reticent about them having/buying into their telecommunications networks.....even they are suspicious of what can happen to data mobile phones can store/generate so you can see why the general population is as well. 

It's an interesting discussion isn't it.? Who to trust.?

I switched to Huawei after using Samsung and it is exactly the same phone but better. 

The only reason the USA is biased is because of the apple connection and apple make money on buying music or upgrades when they deliberately slow down old apple phones compared to an old Huawei which keeps going forever. 

As to the argument of the app, no thank you I'd rather turn off phone data if i was forced to have it. Can't trust our governments these days, they have their own personal agendas and corporate buddies with deep pockets. 

14 hours ago, Burgerman said:

I switched to Huawei after using Samsung and it is exactly the same phone but better. 

The only reason the USA is biased is because of the apple connection and apple make money on buying music or upgrades when they deliberately slow down old apple phones compared to an old Huawei which keeps going forever. 

As to the argument of the app, no thank you I'd rather turn off phone data if i was forced to have it. Can't trust our governments these days, they have their own personal agendas and corporate buddies with deep pockets. 

The Government isn't allowed to collect data on you, it's illegal under the Telecommunications Industry Act.

I was just doing a bit of research into Flu deaths annually and the latest I could find was an estimate of an average of 389,000 around the world with a range between 200,000 and 500,000.

Comparing that to Covid-19 we are half way there now.

Australia is well on the way to having good control of the virus here now and we have 75 deaths but when the number of infections per day was at the crest of the curve we had 11 deaths.  it is a relief to think of where we are and where we could have been but it is frightening seeing the countries that are just over the crest of infections and thinking that if we are typical then deaths in these countries could be multiples worse by the end of this.

There has been reference to the world groaning because of the stress that the environment is under and now humanity must be groaning at the assault of this virus.

Interesting article in the ABC
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/amazon-to-provide-cloud-services-for-coronavirus-tracing-app/12176682

Australia’s coronavirus tracing app’s data storage contract goes offshore to Amazon…..
Issuing the contract to Amazon may also mean the Australian data is obtainable by US law enforcement under a 2018 law that allows them to obtain information held by US-registered data companies no matter where in the world that information is held…..
ABC News can also reveal the Government has plans to store the decryption keys for the data in the same cloud as the data itself — a practice frowned upon within the industry for such a sensitive cache of public information…..

Edited by sonar
20 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

The Government isn't allowed to collect data on you, it's illegal under the Telecommunications Industry Act.

That's why they outsource it to a private company and here is an interesting article. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/amazon-to-provide-cloud-services-for-coronavirus-tracing-app/12176682

Can't trust big companies, just look at woollies they use your shopping rewards details to manipulate prices in different stores. If you go to 20 different stores you will find some items a different price in different stores. 

3 hours ago, sonar said:

Australia’s coronavirus tracing app’s data storage contract goes offshore to Amazon…..
Issuing the contract to Amazon may also mean the Australian data is obtainable by US law enforcement under a 2018 law that allows them to obtain information held by US-registered data companies no matter where in the world that information is held…..
ABC News can also reveal the Government has plans to store the decryption keys for the data in the same cloud as the data itself — a practice frowned upon within the industry for such a sensitive cache of public information…..

You can't trust Amazon

3 hours ago, sonar said:

Haha came here to post exactly this article. Liked this line below too.

"Bureaucrats inside the Government's Digital Transformation Agency voiced concerns about the awarding of the contract to an overseas provider when several wholly Australian-owned cloud storage services had been security vetted for precisely such high-level contracts."

So they have several Australian companies who have been vetted for this precise reason and yet they chose to go with a supplier who is major overseas conglomerate who has had previous issues with data integrity and hacking? Several security concerns have been raised about their Alexa device and just this morning it was revealed that they have been using third-party vendor data to compete with and profit from the development of their own private-label products - https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/04/report-amazon-uses-marketplace-seller-data-to-make-its-own-competing-products/ 

If this is going on, can you imagine what else is?

On 22/04/2020 at 9:38 AM, Davo said:

If you had the app you'd find out the next day when he does and know to isolate. Without the app you won't know you have it until you get sick, which may be after you've gone to Aldi and the doctors and been in contact with people who are regularly in contact with the public and the medically vulnerable.

Or they do what they have been doing already and release information about where particular cases have been found. I've heard several announcements regarding people being confirmed positive and that people who have visited those particular stores have been told to self-isolate. I know off the top of my head there were two at supermarkets in Penrith/Glenmore Park, one in Costco Marsden Park, multiple at universities including one at WSU who visited the library. They do it all the time with measles and Legionnaires outbreaks.   

With the amount of cases we currently have, I think this would be quite manageable. I can imagine if we were in the US right now it would be a different story, but here at this moment in Australia, a diary would suffice. 

At the risk of re-igniting the debate again, I would also be very low-risk for spreading it if I went to Aldi or the doctors because I wear a mask whenever I leave the house (very rarely these days) and wash/sanitize my hands religiously. I also spend as little time as possible in these places too. 

The man is truly a legend!  Not sure what of but glad he's over there and not here!!!
I suspect there may well be more candidates for the Darwin Awards (people who effectively remove their genes from the gene pool by doing something incredibly stupid and, well... dying).  Anyone (and there will probably be some idiots) who follow this man's stupidity may get everything they deserve - and more.

Did you see the health expert in the background shuffling her feet and looking so embarrassed.  He is an absolute jerk!!

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Ladies and Gentleman, don’t try this at home....

Warning: A lot of swearing/profanity but I tend to agree with him about Trumpy….

(mack if you think the language used breaches the guidlines here I don’t have a problem if you snip or delete. Sometimes plain speaking says more than spin. )

• mack locked this topic