marron

Armageddon Thread

disturbing amount of tourists out and about today. 

On 23/04/2020 at 9:47 PM, Flytox said:

I was just doing a bit of research into Flu deaths annually and the latest I could find was an estimate of an average of 389,000 around the world with a range between 200,000 and 500,000.

Comparing that to Covid-19 we are half way there now.

Australia is well on the way to having good control of the virus here now and we have 75 deaths but when the number of infections per day was at the crest of the curve we had 11 deaths.  it is a relief to think of where we are and where we could have been but it is frightening seeing the countries that are just over the crest of infections and thinking that if we are typical then deaths in these countries could be multiples worse by the end of this.

There has been reference to the world groaning because of the stress that the environment is under and now humanity must be groaning at the assault of this virus.

On the statistics for flu versus Covid-19 watch last Friday's Planet America  Fireside Chat. The stats are US based but Covid-19 is  compared to all the reasons for death by flu, and standard diseases. Iview is the best way to watch.

In all this misery, The Guardian is now reporting the number of recovered Covid-19 cases in Australia. Reported as 5115 cases. Active cases listed as 1495 based on the article published at 8:40am this morning.

23 hours ago, Cynth said:

Ladies and Gentleman, don’t try this at home....

I've said it before but Trump is trolling his own citizens. What a legacy eh

19 hours ago, marron said:

disturbing amount of tourists out and about today. 

That's not good, looks like people are losing patience.  Did it look like  the tourists were from Sydney?

From my observations around the Seven Hills, Blacktown area the locals have been mostly adhering to the guidelines pretty well, that needs to be maintained a bit longer though if we are to get out of this successfully.

The NSW cases have increased a little bit in the last two days,  I don't want that to continue.

On 18/04/2020 at 8:05 PM, Edinburgh said:

Holy ^*#%^* shyt!

We just got a call from my father in law's nursing home. His doctor also sees patients at Newmarch and saw Dad on Thursday. Dad and the other patients he visited have been moved to a separate room.

My wife visited Dad on Thursday too. So we called back. What time?? The doctor visited after my wife, so we should be okay.

But Dad!?

The doctor was tested and came up clear.

Dad and the other segregated residents are still being kept segregated, in we think 2 rooms, and no visitors. The rest of the nursing home is back to (ab)normal.

3 hours ago, papersun said:

That's not good, looks like people are losing patience.  Did it look like  the tourists were from Sydney?

From my observations around the Seven Hills, Blacktown area the locals have been mostly adhering to the guidelines pretty well, that needs to be maintained a bit longer though if we are to get out of this successfully.

The NSW cases have increased a little bit in the last two days,  I don't want that to continue.

Yeah. People eating takeaway on the side of the road, looking at real estate, daypacks - even a couple of backpackers as well. Some groups with kids my kids didn't recognise (usually a giveaway!). Pretty obvious stuff. We were out for our bike ride.

Just drove up to town to the hardware store, quite a few people walking on the street taking pictures of autumn leaves, like they do every year. Except this year there's a ******* pandemic and we have no cases in the immediate vicinity and they are coming from places where there are.....

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

The doctor was tested and came up clear.

Dad and the other segregated residents are still being kept segregated, in we think 2 rooms, and no visitors. The rest of the nursing home is back to (ab)normal.

Good news, hopefully we have more of it :grouphug:

Morrison's its safe for school kids has eased it off. The attitude I hear is why keep kids apart when we are only going to send em to school. 

Madness, isn't it

Lets hope all the good work isn't undone. Even to take it from a Libs econmoic stand point if we stuff it up now we will have to do it all again for longer

For those of you interested, here is a link to the article in which PM referenced in regards to declaring that social distancing wasn’t required in schools (children, not teachers or other adults who work in the environment)

The findings of National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance (NCIRS), tracked the spread of 18 cases — 9 teachers and 9 students — across 15 schools.

The study, led by NCIRS director Kristine Macartney and soon to be peer reviewed, analysed the tests of 863 close contacts of the infections, interactions which occurred between early March and April 21.

The research paper has yet to be peer reviewed but has been fast tracked

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-26/nsw-health-report-tracking-coronavirus-covid-19-cases-in-schools/12185582?pfmredir=sm

13 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Morrison's its safe for school kids has eased it off. The attitude I hear is why keep kids apart when we are only going to send em to school. 

Madness, isn't it

Lets hope all the good work isn't undone. Even to take it from a Libs econmoic stand point if we stuff it up now we will have to do it all again for longer

I don't like Morrison nay thats to tame I despise Morrison especially over climate change.

But on this one single issue i.e coronavirus whether by sheer luck or something else we are close to the worlds best... actually given on 19 Feb we ranked as the fourth in the list of cases and for a comparison on 2 March the US had 100 cases and on 7 March we had 100 cases, add the size of our population i.e. 26 million with a huge travelling population in summer...  to be were we are today especially given the RP F...k up ... if Morrison stuffed up then he stuffed up less than most...

The key reason or reasons is he has listened to the experts especially health and science and let the states do their things as well with NSW & QLD in particular ...

As far as I am aware so please correct me if I am wrong... Federal health, NSW Health SA Health, WA Health & NT Health have all said its safe for kids to go to school... but teachers need protecting from other teachers, parents etc...

Morrison said he wants his girls back in school...

I am very happy to debate the school issue... but I cry when its presented as a Morrison Lib hard right decision akin to the ratbags in the US ... 

Your debate should be with the health authorises who have recommended a school return.

I cry and get angry when hard right folk ignore science and say Climate policy is a left wing and green political thing and make politics with science...

The debate is OK ... but given we either fluked this outcome or as was discussed in the senate hearing we actually had a plan in place and by around 18 Jan we started to look at it and by Jan 23 we started the process I doubt it was a fluke.

Its not like I have no skin in the game my wife of 42 years is a teacher at Epping Boys ... 

For me the debate is with the health and science experts as from what I can see the government is doing what they recommend.

48 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I don't like Morrison nay thats to tame I despise Morrison especially over climate change.

But on this one single issue i.e coronavirus whether by sheer luck or something else we are close to the worlds best... actually given on 19 Feb we ranked as the fourth in the list of cases and for a comparison on 2 March the US had 100 cases and on 7 March we had 100 cases, add the size of our population i.e. 26 million with a huge travelling population in summer...  to be were we are today especially given the RP F...k up ... if Morrison stuffed up then he stuffed up less than most...

The key reason or reasons is he has listened to the experts especially health and science and let the states do their things as well with NSW & QLD in particular ...

As far as I am aware so please correct me if I am wrong... Federal health, NSW Health SA Health, WA Health & NT Health have all said its safe for kids to go to school... but teachers need protecting from other teachers, parents etc...

Morrison said he wants his girls back in school...

I am very happy to debate the school issue... but I cry when its presented as a Morrison Lib hard right decision akin to the ratbags in the US ... 

Your debate should be with the health authorises who have recommended a school return.

I cry and get angry when hard right folk ignore science and say Climate policy is a left wing and green political thing and make politics with science...

The debate is OK ... but given we either fluked this outcome or as was discussed in the senate hearing we actually had a plan in place and by around 18 Jan we started to look at it and by Jan 23 we started the process I doubt it was a fluke.

Its not like I have no skin in the game my wife of 42 years is a teacher at Epping Boys ... 

For me the debate is with the health and science experts as from what I can see the government is doing what they recommend.

So why is it ok for kids to mix very closely at school and not ok for them to mix in the community in general? Playgrounds and skateparks etc all closed and roped off. 

Not to mention they can't have friends over.

The reason ScoMo said he wanted to send his kids back to school was because apparently the private school they are at weren't giving them any meaningful work in his eyes.

The added dimension to this all now is that under the NSW gov plan, organising kids to come back 1 day a week, keeping siblings together, is a logistical impossibility - and they are saying that what they get at school will be the same for what the kids at home get (it would have to be, as I've said from the beginning). Meanwhile the privates are just bringing back Year 12 meaning public school year 12 kids don't have the same opportunities, meaning the HSC is going to be stacked against them somewhat. All of which could have been pointed out by anyone actually involved in schools in any way.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Ossified said:

So why is it ok for kids to mix very closely at school and not ok for them to mix in the community in general? Playgrounds and skateparks etc all closed and roped off. 

Why ask me ... do you think I am an expert ... would you pay any attention to whatever answer I gave or wish to argue whatever I say ...

I base my judgement on the recommendations of the federal health and science authorises who are supported by NSW, SA, WA & NT ... I am unaware in Tassie, Vic & ACT health authorises have made recommendations.

My point I hope is simple, argue with who is making the recommendations not the person putting the recommendations in place... 

Maybe the first time in my life a government is paying attention to its science and health departments ... thats IMO is not a bad thing...

Edited by Midfielder

Posted (edited)

Health wise, btw, I haven't seen any advice about kids/teachers catching public transport.

I have yet to see the health orgs here explain just how their suggested logistics work in our schools - the distancing, staggered starts (not possible due to public transport organisation), the extra cleaning supplies. It's not possible to do their requirements, and their advice is based on those requirements, essentially. I'd love to trust the health orgs, but when they say "it's fine, because you can do x y and z", but x y and z are not feasible, can you see the issue?

The push now is for educational outcomes and wellbeing - particularly, of kids being cooped up or whatever. I mean, that's nice. Here's what it's going to look like for my kids if they go back for their one allotted day:

Their primary teachers are going to be setting the same work for them as their peers at home. They probably won't be guaranteed to be at school on the same day as their friends. THe work won't take as long at school, so then the teacher will have to either work on more work for them while they are doing the stuff for the kids at home, or, they will have to give them busy work or just let them play in the classroom with stuff which will then need to be cleaned. Good for my kids mental health or education? hardly.

As Prydz said, I haven't seen any other nations health orgs pushing for it either.

Edited by marron

Marron

Good post... Let Brenton explain his reasons... and the other health departments heads as well... its a valid question you ask.... its not like our various governments are acting against the expert advise... 

Hand on heart not the other thing.... I don't see any political leader be they ALP or Libs or Nats or Greens in government or opposition not trying to put the health of Australians as a first priority ... 

New Zealand, South Korea, appear the only other nations in a similar position to us ... 

I also accept the government's saying we are a long way from letting restrictions be relaxed ...   the road out will be slow and made with caution... 

3 hours ago, marron said:

Just drove up to town to the hardware store, quite a few people walking on the street taking pictures of autumn leaves, like they do every year. Except this year there's a ******* pandemic and we have no cases in the immediate vicinity and they are coming from places where there are.....

Guess you'd know of this one?

From the ABC website.

Aged care facility in Blue Mountains affected

Between Friday and Saturday, another worker at an aged care facility tested positive to COVID-19, Mr Hazzard said.

The ABC has confirmed the worker was from the Catholic healthcare Bodington aged care facility in Wentworth Falls.

The facility is home to 120 elderly residents.

The worker developed symptoms 48 hours after their last shift and contact tracing was underway.

15 minutes ago, wendybr said:

The first case there was found the day NZ went into lockdown.  The cluster there is the result of pre lockdown mitigation but it has taken 3 weeks of lockdown and testing to bring it back under control.

2 hours ago, Ossified said:

This......^^^^ 

Interesting this study they've released.

" transmission of the virus in NSW schools and childcare centres between March and mid-April. "

I wonder if  they noted that the rate of attendance at school was tiny in the last weeks and then it was school holidays.

What a shock, the Covid app is a mess, doesn't work properly. And it doesn't even store the details in a Government run locally hosted server. It's shovelled off to Amazon.

3 hours ago, mack said:

What a shock, the Covid app is a mess, doesn't work properly.

I heard that the app wasn’t working before 6pm, phone verification started working after 6.

6 hours ago, marron said:

The added dimension to this all now is that under the NSW gov plan

Sounds like a mess, I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you guys.

We need to somehow manage the return back to schools, just like we slowly lift the restrictions, it needs to be similar for schools but planning for this takes months if not longer to implement properly. To quickly implement online learning, then almost immediately just dismiss the hours of hard work you guys must be so frustrating.

Now to implement a new solution with this staggering return, different break times, some learning from home others at school. Not easy. It sounds like a mess.

6 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Maybe the first time in my life a government is paying attention to its science and health departments ... thats IMO is not a bad thing...

If only this applied to everything not just this pandemic :rolleyes: