Armageddon Thread

marron

This is interesting.

People experiencing homelessness are being moved from the street and shelters into four-star hotels.

The radical plan is meant to protect them from the pandemic and it's temporary.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/hotel-coronavirus-homelessness-pandemic/12177452

Interesting thread analysing excess mortality rather than official covid deaths.

• Analysed 14 countries and found 45,000 more excess deaths than official covid deaths
  • England and Wales have 45% more excess deaths than official covid deaths
  • One province in Ecuador has officially reported 245 covid deaths but have had more than 10,000 excess deaths since March 1st.
  • Areas with low infection rates in lockdown (e.g. when a whole country locks down but certain regions are relatively unaffected) show minimal excess deaths, suggesting that the lockdown itself isn't leading to many deaths

If you've ever filed a tax return in the last few years then that data is already on an Amazon server as the ATO uses Amazon Web Services.

Covidsafe would give them your name, age range, post code and phone number, if you get sick or are in contact with someone who is sick. The ATO gives them your name, full date of birth, full address, employer, income, health fund and presumably your phone number as they text you a code to log into MyGov.

Doesn't excuse the incompetence of not closing the loop on the "qualifying foreign government" legislation though.

Was always going to be trouble brewing against China and other countries will also be pushing the question and it could eventually lead to war hence why the media haven't been pushing the issue of how it started. 

ScumO needs to be careful as even Trump won't be that silly to provoke China. 

Trump has been pushing the idea of blaming China for the whole thing to deflect attention away from his incompetent handling of the virus. I'm guessing ScoMo is getting pressure from the US to blame China and from China to praise the job they've done. Since the prevailing view appears to be that people don't trust the Chinese numbers and don't agree with the way they handled things it's probably going to cause the least political damage to blame China. When it actually comes to doing anything official like starting an investigation ScoMo won't do anything.

Looking at the final numbers from yesterday and things are starting to look pretty good. We've gone 18 days with the new infection rate below 1% and 10 days below 0.5%. Also yesterday the number of active cases (total confirmed - deaths - recovered) dropped below 1000.

If we can avoid any more Ruby Princess or Newmarch House incidents then we're on track to completely eliminate the virus in Australia in the coming weeks.

18 hours ago, wendybr said:

China's reaction is nasty - but I'm not sure why puny little Australia is leading this charge, tbh.

It isn't as though there aren't a few bazillion other problems to worry. 

I agree, it’s too early to start talking about enquiries into the virus especially when the majority of the world is trying to deal with lack of testing, hospitals/health systems overwhelmed, lack of PPE & with so many dying or sick. I guess we are lucky that we are in a better position than most countries, that’s probably why we are better placed to start the rhetoric but he has rightly been rebuffed by other world leaders saying it’s too early.

In saying that, I do believe a investigation should take place, not to blame China or to investigate claims that the virus was man made. An independent investigation should take place in where the virus did originate, which animal did it jump from, did it come from the illegal wildlife markets inside the wet markets, the response of the WHO & how can we do things differently so we can prevent another pandemic of this scale again.

In saying that, it’s easy to see with how badly things are going in America & trump looking to deflect blame that this process can be sidetracked. The US are already threatening the WHO over funding, so it’s not surprising. A lot of governments will be facing much scrutiny over their handling, looking for someone to blame & deflect attention. Easy to see how it can just be turned into a blame game.

7 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

In saying that, it’s easy to see with how badly things are going in America & trump looking to deflect blame that this process can be sidetracked. The US are already threatening the WHO over funding, so it’s not surprising. A lot of governments will be facing much scrutiny over their handling, looking for someone to blame & deflect attention. Easy to see how it can just be turned into a blame game.

This......blame the ethnics for their own political gain....a not so silent bit of dog whistling....especially from the Orange one.

11 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

In saying that, I do believe a investigation should take place, not to blame China or to investigate claims that the virus was man made. An independent investigation should take place in where the virus did originate, which animal did it jump from, did it come from the illegal wildlife markets inside the wet markets, the response of the WHO & how can we do things differently so we can prevent another pandemic of this scale again.

China...whatever the case may be....will most probably say eff you to any attempt at an independent inquiry. Their way or the highway. 

We are living in an interesting time aren't we.?

2 hours ago, sonar said:

This......blame the ethnics for their own political gain....a not so silent bit of dog whistling....especially from the Orange one.

China...whatever the case may be....will most probably say eff you to any attempt at an independent inquiry. Their way or the highway. 

We are living in an interesting time aren't we.?

You saved me the trouble of posting this, pretty much.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

At my kids school (K-12), Yr 11 & 12 +Kindergarten back to face-to-face teaching from the 11th May

Same for work colleague's daughter (Year 12) at a Catholic School in Wollongong 

At my school, Yr 12 will be back full time from the start of Wk 3, and from then, for a week, or maybe 2, each of the other years will attend for one day each week.

I wouldn't be surprised if the full return happens quite quickly after that, if there is no resurgence of the virus as restrictions are eased.

39 minutes ago, wendybr said:

At my school, Yr 12 will be back full time from the start of Wk 3, and from then, for a week, or maybe 2, each of the other years will attend for one day each week.

I wouldn't be surprised if the full return happens quite quickly after that, if there is no resurgence of the virus as restrictions are eased.

A strange experience in my house. I told my Year 11 son he is back full time in week 3 and he yelled “yes” and punched the air. Lol, I’ve never seen him so happy at the prospect of going to school! :D

50 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Just watch out for any infections from the childcare centre at Cranebrook.

42 minutes ago, Cynth said:

A strange experience in my house. I told my Year 11 son he is back full time in week 3 and he yelled “yes” and punched the air. Lol, I’ve never seen him so happy at the prospect of going to school! :D

Think that will apply to heaps of kids, actually. :lol:

Lots here might disagree, but I've never been more grateful to live in a Nanny state. I've never objected tbh - some people have to be saved from their own stupidity and recklessness- but I'm very glad of it now.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-by-postcode-nsw-launches-australian-first-heat-maps/ar-BB13qtko?ocid=spartandhp

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Lots here might disagree, but I've never been more grateful to live in a Nanny state. I've never objected tbh - some people have to be saved from their own stupidity and recklessness- but I'm very glad of it now.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-by-postcode-nsw-launches-australian-first-heat-maps/ar-BB13qtko?ocid=spartandhp

From the SMH blog this morning...

Residents of the Penrith Local Government Area have been singled out to present for testing, with NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant saying a particularly bad strain of the virus has become present in clusters in the area.

"Our genetic testing has indicated there has been a certain strain of the virus in that area," Dr Chant said.

The strain has been detected at Anglicare's Newmarch House at Caddens as well as in other clusters.

39 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

From the SMH blog this morning...

Residents of the Penrith Local Government Area have been singled out to present for testing, with NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant saying a particularly bad strain of the virus has become present in clusters in the area.

"Our genetic testing has indicated there has been a certain strain of the virus in that area," Dr Chant said.

The strain has been detected at Anglicare's Newmarch House at Caddens as well as in other clusters.

My mamma has finally been discharged from hospital but still has to go to Nepean Hospital 3-4 times a week for dialysis. The timing couldn’t be worse. :( 

The big test will be after this weekend and lifting of some restrictions. My sisters and my dad are champing at the bit to visit each other again. If there are no signs of a spike in cases in two weeks or so then perhaps some more lessening may occur. Signs are good tbh. Glad we're not the US.

14 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Just watch out for any infections from the childcare centre at Cranebrook.

Is that the one with the half dozen kids and half dozen workers?

• mack locked this topic