marron

Armageddon Thread

Any diabetics that use CGM may be interested in this:

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/covidsafe-may-interfere-with-diabetes-monitoring-apps-20200501-p54oyd.html 

The government's new COVIDSafe contact tracing app may interfere with Bluetooth-connected medical devices such as those used by people with diabetes.

The smartphone app — which has had more than three million downloads since its launch on Sunday — uses Bluetooth to keep track of which phones have been close to each other for more than 15 minutes in order to identify and get in touch with people who may have been exposed to the coronavirus.

But Diabetes Australia is warning users of certain monitoring systems that COVIDSafe could cause problems.

"We have received reports from a number of people with diabetes who have downloaded the Australian Government COVIDSafe app to their smartphone that they have experienced connection problems with their continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) apps," the non-profit said in a Facebook post.

"We have advised the Department of Health that there may be an issue."

A spokesperson for Health Minister Greg Hunt said the inquiry had been referred to the Digital Transformation Agency to consider and provide advice.

CGM systems utilise a sensor placed under a user's skin to keep track of glucose levels. Some systems, such as those made by US company Dexcom, connect to apps via Bluetooth so users can check levels and receive alerts to their smartphone or watch.

Zach Simone, a Sydney-based iOS developer who has experience using Bluetooth CGM systems, said he wasn't surprised the COVIDSafe app might cause issues.

"Both other Bluetooth apps and lots of Bluetooth noise, for example in a crowd, often cause CGM apps to not work as well. They struggle to connect to the CGM as frequently," he said.

"The apps compete behind the scenes for running time, so it's an unavoidable issue given [the way COVIDSafe works]."

Early adopters of the iPhone version of COVIDSafe have found the app only works consistently when active on the screen, with phone unlocked and screen turned on. This is owing to the design of Apple's iOS operating system, which limits Bluetooth communication for non-Apple apps running in the background. The issue is not present on Android devices.

New software updates will make it possible for health authority apps to circumvent the issue, as Apple and Google have been working together on a platform that will let almost all phones send and receive Bluetooth contact tracing information to each other in the background.

The government has indicated its willingness to integrate Apple's updates into COVIDSafe, which should make it more effective when iPhones are locked or another app is in use. It's unclear whether the updates would solve the conflict with CGM systems, but Mr Simone sayss it could.

"My understanding of the Apple and Google solution is that its Bluetooth use is separate, and doesn't compete with third party apps, so they should be able to function as normal," he said.

Some users of Bluetooth CGM systems have reported using COVIDSafe with no issues, and for now Diabetes Australia recommends keeping the potential for interference in mind.

"You may wish to closely monitor to see if you have any connectivity issues. If you are worried, you should temporarily uninstall the COVIDSafe app from your phone," the organisation said.

Just watched the latest update. Basically all positive but the biggest takeaway was.....wanna be able to go back to the pub sooner rather than later?..... download the app !!

9 hours ago, Cynth said:

My mamma has finally been discharged from hospital but still has to go to Nepean Hospital 3-4 times a week for dialysis. The timing couldn’t be worse. :( 

:grouphug:

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’m surprised Scomo just didn’t say that word for word :lol:

I'm waiting for the offer of free steak knives with every download......:ninja:

:D

^^^We've all known for decades that the way things have headed in recent decades has been sick.

Now I have a name for so much that has caused us to head in the wrong direction.

Frightening, isn't it.

I wonder if this causes a reset very broadly? I'm basically a pessimist.  :(

Thanks for posting,  Paul! 

24 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We've all known for decades that the way things have headed in recent decades has been sick.

Now I have a name for so much that has caused us to head in the wrong direction.

Frightening, isn't it.

I wonder if this causes a reset very broadly? I'm basically a pessimist.  :(

Thanks for posting,  Paul! 

Your welcome. Just-in-time assumes that everyone manufacturers their item perfect on time. It never works.

But it does permeate out beyond manufacturing though, doesn't it?

It's all through the way many people live, actually. Sadly.

r0_0_1024_668_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

28 minutes ago, sonar said:

r0_0_1024_668_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Satirical cartoons give me such pleasure, and enables me to see there is a modicum  of sanity in a crazy, sad world.

I love how Insiders wraps up on a Sunday morning, with the run through of the week's best cartoons.

So so so clever, these creators are.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Satirical cartoons give me such pleasure, and enables me to see there is a modicum  of sanity in a crazy, sad world.

I love how Insiders wraps up on a Sunday morning, with the run through of the week's best cartoons.

So so so clever, these creators are.

Another thing for Thingsidisagreewithwendybron.xlsx

Really?

How come??

What don't you like about satirical cartoons??? Or you don't like that segment on Insiders??

Yesterday

The US had 36, 007 new cases with total cases being 1,131,030, with active cases of 903,714 and seriously critical 16,481.

The UK had 6,201 new cases with total cases 177,454 with active cases 149,600 and seriously critical 1,559[seems way to under reported]

The Orange god is supporting  white heavily armed Trump [mainly] supporters storming the state parliament ... imagine if these people where black, muslin or green protesters there would be calls of riot the national guard would be brought in. That a US president has not called this out but openly encourages it and supports what they are doing ... this is scary stuff ...

Like the US ... mad Boris after recovering says the worst is now behind them and lock-downs should be lessened.....

Trying to put all this into a simple context it seems that the attack on experts since I would argue the mid 70's, and the constant cheery picking and often out of context reporting  has created  a large number of people who believe how they see the world is correct and what they believe is correct and experts no matter what the subject or how well qualified are wrong.

My predication before the US election is the Orange god will try and take back from China two or three Trillion dollars of Chinese held assets in the US to pay for the cost to the US... second say the virus is outta control and try and suspend the US election. 

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Really?

How come??

What don't you like about satirical cartoons??? Or you don't like that segment on Insiders??

Both, mainly the second one 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Both, mainly the second one 

Re satirical catoons.....Does that include David Squires....?

Edited by sonar

35 minutes ago, sonar said:

Re satirical catoons.....Does that include David Squires....?

No 

you got me there 

The stuff in the newspapers is neither clever nor funny although the news LTD ones do a good line in racism 

33 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

No 

you got me there 

The stuff in the newspapers is neither clever nor funny although the news LTD ones do a good line in racism 

Tbh I wasn't trying to get you with a gotcha.....just interested....Nothing sinister meant on my part...:D

7 hours ago, Cynth said:

Silver lining and all....:). Sometimes a little silly optimism is nice.

Beautiful!

Nice to dream a little of this might eventuate, isnt it?

13 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Your welcome. Just-in-time assumes that everyone manufacturers their item perfect on time. It never works.

I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer at a car company (back when we made cars in Australia) and now work for a medical device manufacturer. There’s nothing wrong with just in time when it comes to manufacturing goods. Cuts costs, improves efficiency and reduces waste of time, energy and resources. In an emergency like this pandemic you run the risk of supply chains collapsing but that’s what national stockpiles are for. If the manufacturers are expected to keep enough buffer stock to be pandemic proof then you’re basically setting up a privatised national stockpile, which the manufacturer will charge for and slap a margin on top of.

The issue is in the rest of the article. Goods don’t care if they don’t get built when supply gets held up, but people care when they don’t get paid because their jobs instantly disappear if things get bad. But that’s where government safety nets come in. The treasury is effectively the income version of the national stockpile in a disaster. As the economy moves toward more of a just in time model the government needs to be prepared to have a bigger and bigger stockpile of income to support people in a disaster.

8 hours ago, Davo said:

I worked as a Manufacturing Engineer at a car company (back when we made cars in Australia) and now work for a medical device manufacturer. There’s nothing wrong with just in time when it comes to manufacturing goods. Cuts costs, improves efficiency and reduces waste of time, energy and resources. In an emergency like this pandemic you run the risk of supply chains collapsing but that’s what national stockpiles are for. If the manufacturers are expected to keep enough buffer stock to be pandemic proof then you’re basically setting up a privatised national stockpile, which the manufacturer will charge for and slap a margin on top of.

The issue is in the rest of the article. Goods don’t care if they don’t get built when supply gets held up, but people care when they don’t get paid because their jobs instantly disappear if things get bad. But that’s where government safety nets come in. The treasury is effectively the income version of the national stockpile in a disaster. As the economy moves toward more of a just in time model the government needs to be prepared to have a bigger and bigger stockpile of income to support people in a disaster.

I agree that JIT can work but in my industry, pharmaceuticals, we encounter difficulties with poor quality raw materials, long lead times for raw materials (both to manufacture and transport) , the inevitable problem of raw materials failing to meet quality standards and all of these factors that affects manufacturing schedules. Then there is usual tension as to what is the most important products to manufacture with competing priorities. That usually comes down to highest margin first.

And the other fact is that there is a maximum shelf life on a pharmaceutical so no one wants to stockpile. And that is especially true of the main customer of prescription medicines viz the federal government.

Perhaps it is different when there are not maximum shelf lives on the product being manufactured but it has been my obsevsation of pharmaceutical manufacturing for many years. 

4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

It hasn't unraveled at all. Looks like full steam ahead to me.

I wish the A-League were as pro-active as the NRL.

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I wish the A-League were as pro-active as the NRL.

I want the Aleague back as soon as possible but we don’t need to back. We’ve got till October till the new season starts, plenty of time, players haven’t been training as a team & many restrictions stopping us from moving forwards.

I’m sure if we were in a similar to NRL or AFL, you’d see just as many desperate moves

12 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I want the Aleague back as soon as possible but we don’t need to back. We’ve got till October till the new season starts, plenty of time, players haven’t been training as a team & many restrictions stopping us from moving forwards.

I’m sure if we were in a similar to NRL or AFL, you’d see just as many desperate moves

We could finish our season within 4 weeks if we wanted to, once a start date has been proposed.

Then, hopefully with Corona well under control by October, we could start season 20/21 as per normal. There would then have been minmal disruption to our sport in this country, compared to other winter sports who still have mostly full seasons to be concerned about organizing.

What disappoints me mate is that we've heard **** all from the FFA and the A-League.

9 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

We could finish our season within 4 weeks if we wanted to, once a start date has been proposed.

Then, hopefully with Corona well under control by October, we could start season 20/21 as per normal. There would then have been minmal disruption to our sport in this country, compared to other winter sports who still have mostly full seasons to be concerned about organizing.

What disappoints me mate is that we've heard **** all from the FFA and the A-League.

James Johnson was on Ten News last night. See FFA thread.

The problem we have is that Victoria, WA and SA haven't granted any exemptions for professional sports like Queensland have for NRL for travel.

But you raise a good point, have we even asked!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

James Johnson was on Ten News last night. See FFA thread.

The problem we have is that Victoria, WA and SA haven't granted any exemptions for professional sports like Queensland have for NRL for travel.

But you raise a good point, have we even asked!

Well, we all know why those states haven't granted exemptions.

They don't want other sports to get a jump on the AFL. It's why the didn't allow the Storm to train in Victoria.

The Storm will go ahead and train anyway - in NSW.

**** Victoria and their stupid sport.

It's what disappoints me why the FFA hasn't been more proactive.

Edited by Wanderboy