marron

Armageddon Thread

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

edit

Edited by Wanderboy

Just got news that a child at the local public school has been diagnosed with Covid-19. School is now closed as the child has attended school in person. Sad for that child and family.

Let's see what Professor Murphy has to say about children tomorrow.

Plus Tehan should be sacked.

6 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Just got news that a child at the local public school has been diagnosed with Covid-19. School is now closed as the child has attended school in person. Sad for that child and family.

Locality?

3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Locality?

Silverdale/Warragamba 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Silverdale/Warragamba 

Cheers.

Same thing happened to a school in VIC today except it was a teacher that tested positive. School closed.

Edited by Wanderboy

15 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

The Vic CMO who is advising Dan Andrews is an expert in communicable diseases whereas Morrisons top advisers area of expertise is kidneys......I know who I'd prefer to listen to. 

Last few days numbers

50 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Last few days numbers

Where are the 53???

We only had 4 didn't we?

Tehan this morning getting stuck into Andrew's (for which he has apologised) but saying that if WA, SA and NT schools have gone back, so should Victorian schools.

NSW and Vic really should be moving more cautiously than those others others, where, as I understand, the numbers are really really low to even zero active cases, as in NT..

^^^^^

Wen the 53 was on 18 April

6 hours ago, wendybr said:

Tehan this morning getting stuck into Andrew's (for which he has apologised) but saying that if WA, SA and NT schools have gone back, so should Victorian schools.

NSW and Vic really should be moving more cautiously than those others others, where, as I understand, the numbers are really really low to even zero active cases, as in NT..

Well Tehan's argument is coming undone

Teacher in Victoria reported as Covid-19 reported as positive in a primary school.

See above, student in a primary school in outer Western Sydney has tested positive for Covid-19 last night (See above post) but has not hit the headlines. 

Check Sonar's post on the credentials of the CMO for Victoria and CMO for Australia respectively. 

16 hours ago, Midfielder said:

^^^^^

Wen the 53 was on 18 April

Ah...ok!

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Well Tehan's argument is coming undone

Teacher in Victoria reported as Covid-19 reported as positive in a primary school.

See above, student in a primary school in outer Western Sydney has tested positive for Covid-19 last night (See above post) but has not hit the headlines. 

Check Sonar's post on the credentials of the CMO for Victoria and CMO for Australia respectively. 

Yes to your final point there.

Morrison and co's argument, about kids not being high transmitters,  might be somewhat put to the test, if the primary school child attended school last week, and if noone else comes down with it.

If others do become infected, then that changes everything...or it should change everything!

28 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Yes to your final point there.

Morrison and co's argument, about kids not being high transmitters,  might be somewhat put to the test, if the primary school child attended school last week, and if noone else comes down with it.

If others do become infected, then that changes everything...or it should change everything!

Wen

I think they said very low risk not no risk and the number was very very small but they could still happen.

Its a real Solomon type question as to when is the right time... if we want no risk ever then wait for vaccine and then add three months after the entire country has been given a shot... and have all international travel banned. This at the extreme ... at the other end return to normal was was before ... equally extreme...

When I watch Trump supporters , trash their science community and say they know better it makes my blood boil... they also are  very clever at finding counter arguments especially in areas like climate change.

I have enjoyed that our experts are doing a lot of the talking and explaining their actions... while they are not beyond making mistakes ... I feel it is  wrong to question their motives as if they are somehow tired to some capitalise intent of sending people into harm.....  to date there record is not half bad...  

At my wife school, Epping Boys, the planning has been extensive on the return to school.... in brief classes will be spilt in two... by way of example say their is a one hour class of 30 boys... the class will be spilt into two groups of 15 each, each group will get 30 minutes teaching and why a group is being taught the other group of 15 boys will be send outside to play.

The boys at play will be watched by I think increased staff...

Happy to be corrected, Middy, but what I recall hearing is that the Feds are saying it is "safe"  to send your kids to school. And more recently, is is safe for teachers...with the "right protocols in place".

More focus on that than on "risk" or "low risk".

I don't know what will eventuate next week, but I did go to school today....and at my school, as with last week, we had 6-7 kids out of 800.

So not many parents are choosing to send their kidls at this stage, even though they could.

PS A teacher I spoke to has a friend in Germany, who's a teacher.  The friend says schools are still closed except for final year students, and teachers only go in to school to teach their Yr 12 class, and are off site otherwise.

And schools in the US won't open before their Summer break.

In China, I have been told, the school's were amongst the first organisations to close, and the last to open.

So ...other places are doing things differently to us, although I do acknowledge that things here are nowhere near as bad as over in those places. :unknw:

My wife is also a special needs teacher in a primary school. She constantly tells me that there is no such a concept as social/physical  distancing in primary schools, as far as students are concerned.

It may be possible to reason with high school students but nigh on impossible with children in primary schools. 

Therefore, the risk is different. 

The problem with Murphy is that he trying to tell there is no risk with sending children to school bordering on negligible. Now with 7 year old being diagnosed with Covid-19, the risk is no longer negligible.

If you listened to Dr Norman Swan on RN this morning,  Dr Swan discussed the advice that Dr Brett Sutton (Chief Medical Officer of Victoria) has given Premier Daniel Andrews. He said that the advice was straight out of the WHO handbook on pandemics. And Dr Sutton would know, being an expert on contagious diseases. 

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

My wife is also a special needs teacher in a primary school. She constantly tells me that there is no such a concept as social/physical  distancing in primary schools, as far as students are concerned.

It may be possible to reason with high school students but nigh on impossible with children in primary schools. 

Therefore, the risk is different. 

The problem with Murphy is that he trying to tell there is no risk with sending children to school bordering on negligible. Now with 7 year old being diagnosed with Covid-19, the risk is no longer negligible.

If you listened to Dr Norman Swan on RN this morning,  Dr Swan discussed the advice that Dr Brett Sutton (Chief Medical Officer of Victoria) has given Premier Daniel Andrews. He said that the advice was straight out of the WHO handbook on pandemics. And Dr Sutton would know, being an expert on contagious diseases. 

School students make up 16% of the Australian population and 4% of the Covid 19 cases.  Fortunately none have died.

Ididn't see the 7pm ABC News, but on the late News they did an item on the 23 schools where they have had cases. Not much spread here, but the NZ school now has ....I think they said 94 cases stemming from that one school.

PS Social distancing isn't viable I don't think with high school kids either, certainly not with the juniors.

And as soon as you introduce a ball into the mix, they are all handling the same object etc.

I don't know what will come of this tbh.

Can only hope for the best I guess.

6 minutes ago, Flytox said:

School students make up 16% of the Australian population and 4% of the Covid 19 cases.  Fortunately none have died.

4% is still not nothing.

:unknw:

Actually, on the late News, I just saw a snippet of Gladys, who said something like "There will be more of these incidents." - talking about schools. Which does seem likely.

Wonder if that was a message to school communities and parents....or to Morrison and co, who have pressured her into a return sooner than was planned for, or sooner than perhaps she is comfortable about.

I must say...we heard about the first 3-4 school incidents, which got plenty of News coverage at the time...but not the other 20 odd!

I was rather shocked to hear that figure, of 23 school events.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

4% is still not nothing.

:unknw:

0.00625% of students have caught Covid 19 so far.

Doctors in France have gone back and analysed / checked some people who passed on earlier... they said some people died in France in December and believe its been in Europe longer than thought... 

This illustrates that China must have had it well before they said anything and remember it was only the bravery of that doctor who told the world that it started to come out.

Without doubt the reaction by governments in Europe & especially the US has been beyond poor... but China's reaction and hiding information is a whole other level...

Posted (edited)

Unf............ing believable ... Charles Dickens

Edited by Midfielder

21 hours ago, wendybr said:

Actually, on the late News, I just saw a snippet of Gladys, who said something like "There will be more of these incidents." - talking about schools. Which does seem likely.

Wonder if that was a message to school communities and parents....or to Morrison and co, who have pressured her into a return sooner than was planned for, or sooner than perhaps she is comfortable about.

I must say...we heard about the first 3-4 school incidents, which got plenty of News coverage at the time...but not the other 20 odd!

I was rather shocked to hear that figure, of 23 school events.

This is basically the risk that the government is willing to take. Understandable and this is why we need to be absolutely on top of testing.

35 minutes ago, Burztur said:

This is basically the risk that the government is willing to take. Understandable and this is why we need to be absolutely on top of testing.

Yes.

It's a risk we will all be taking, I guess, if we step out of our homes...

And regular life has to be resumed, probably sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of parents to sending their kids back to school next week.

Again at our school, a handful of kids are attending.

Anyone else know of the attendance rates elsewhere?

22 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Doctors in France have gone back and analysed / checked some people who passed on earlier... they said some people died in France in December and believe its been in Europe longer than thought... 

This illustrates that China must have had it well before they said anything and remember it was only the bravery of that doctor who told the world that it started to come out.

Without doubt the reaction by governments in Europe & especially the US has been beyond poor... but China's reaction and hiding information is a whole other level...

Regardless of Trade situations, totalitarian regimes such as China, Russia and North Korea can never be fully trusted on any front. As such Western nations must put contingencies in place and unfortunately some have failed badly this time.