Jump to content
marron

Armageddon Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sonar said:

The state Premiers are the ones who have done the majority of the heavy lifting in the C-19 response. Not the feds. They are the ones who run health,education and are also enforcing social distancing laws and such. Morrison is just a side show.

Morrison thinks he is King S***. Unfortunately, he holds the purse strings when it comes to welfare.

But here's what is happening in NSW

NSW to ease restrictions but won't follow all National Cabinet measures http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-10/how-nsw-coronavirus-restrictions-will-be-wound-back/12228948

Edited by Paul01
Added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have every right to be cautious on easing restrictions & makes sense. NSW & Victoria have just got on top of outbreaks plus Victoria have had quite a few cases of community transmission. We just don’t have the same situation as other states such as WA or NT.

Then on top of that news out of Germany & South Korea has cases of a few outbreaks. Germany was 3 slaughterhouses (1 location responsible for 180 cases) & SK was 3 nightclubs.

It is going to be a guide for us to ensure that our contract tracing capabilities are up to scratch so we can get on top of these outbreaks as restrictions ease. It’s going to be a fine line between pushing things to reopen & making sure that we don’t let things get out of control.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Always going to be set backs, you just wonder now how they are able to rectify things. If Germany were to fail, many other leaders may just pull the plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seeing news stories about protests against the virus in australia makes me so proud to be Australian.........i thought it was mostly the US stupid enough to protest a ******* virus, but we are giving it a go in trying to out stupid them :P we are the underdogs but giving it a real go in getting that stupidity award 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, HollowedHeart said:

seeing news stories about protests against the virus in australia makes me so proud to be Australian.........i thought it was mostly the US stupid enough to protest a ******* virus, but we are giving it a go in trying to out stupid them :P we are the underdogs but giving it a real go in getting that stupidity award 

With people like those protesters I apologise profusely  and then say ...sorry I can't talk to you or say anything based on my religion.........I'm a baptised Catholic and as part of Lent I am giving up talking to f***wits and could they try again next year.

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Like like Scumbo, doing the bidding of gRump, has created problems for agricultural exports.

Major tariffs expected to end Australian barley trade to China http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-10/coronavirus-china-australia-trade-tension-barley-tariff/12232426

I don't know why this became our fight.

It's lunacy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Like like Scumbo, doing the bidding of gRump, has created problems for agricultural exports.

Major tariffs expected to end Australian barley trade to China http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-10/coronavirus-china-australia-trade-tension-barley-tariff/12232426

 

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I don't know why this became our fight.

It's lunacy!

BUT BUT BUT do we just bend over and say nothing.... my gut is Europe will follow soon... China is trying to scare the crap out of nations... standing your ground IMO is by light years the best thing to do as to do otherwise allows China to almost direct us what to do...

 

The great tragedy is the US has the worst president ever and were they normally lead they have arguably a corrupt   leader bent on his status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join in with others....sure.

Start stamping your feet and making demands on our own?

Pffft!

Talk about the mouse that roared!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny how the line has been "we're too small to make a difference" when it comes to climate change.

Wonder what's changed their mind! Good news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Join in with others....sure.

Start stamping your feet and making demands on our own?

Pffft!

Talk about the mouse that roared!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As one of the G20 countries why don't we have the right to agitate in that forum for an independent inquiry into the source and initial handling of the pandemic that has affected the world so much?  Don't those countries need to take the lead, on behalf of both their people and the people of the less affluent nations, in learning from this current event and in planning to handle future similar outbreaks especially as both the UN and WHO are impotent due to political influence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Flytox said:

As one of the G20 countries why don't we have the right to agitate in that forum for an independent inquiry into the source and initial handling of the pandemic that has affected the world so much?  Don't those countries need to take the lead, on behalf of both their people and the people of the less affluent nations, in learning from this current event and in planning to handle future similar outbreaks especially as both the UN and WHO are impotent due to political influence?

I agree that there needs to be an inquiry into, but not a witch hunt about China,into how when where and why the virus got so out of control.

The thing is that the govts of many countries would want any inquiry to be a narrowly focused one so to shield them or their govts responses and reactions from too much scutiny.and their own lack of response.. Remember when this started our own PM was off to the footy despite the evidence coming out of Wuhan and Italy.It was the state Premiers that acted first....Dan Andrews in particular with F1 GP ban.

China has the ability to cause enormous damage to the Aus economy. They will do it without even blinking if they think they are being setup by a witch hunt. 

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

The great tragedy is the US has the worst president ever and were they normally lead they have arguably a corrupt   leader bent on his status

I would suggest it is not his status but bank account.

Yes we can complain but Scumbo and friends do not understand the concept of losing face. If we want to complain we should do it via soft diplomacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brits are starting to question the competence on their PM

100 days later: How did Britain fail so badly in dealing with Covid-19? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/100-days-later-how-did-britain-fail-so-badly-in-dealing-with-covid-19?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marron said:

It's funny how the line has been "we're too small to make a difference" when it comes to climate change.

Wonder what's changed their mind! Good news!

Your posts poses what I think will become a major debating point...

If we assume many cafes will not reopen and many companies will not return to as before and therefore maybe millions will do some or all of their work from home... the saving in rent alone will be huge... Also major events and international travel....

Meaning we need to find maybe another million jobs that don't exist today... infrastructure will do some but that needs funding from a shrinking tax base...  the obvious is to develop a work leading new energy structure... not climate change but alternative energy to make money for the country  and create a million jobs....

The Climate Change debate will be won when alternative energy is generally accepted to win the cost / economic debate. 

So with any luck those in the Climate Change debate understand to debate costs and economics not carbon and temperature.. will not only carbon and temperature but far more emphasis on costs, job creation & economic benefits.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Flytox said:

As one of the G20 countries why don't we have the right to agitate in that forum for an independent inquiry into the source and initial handling of the pandemic that has affected the world so much?  Don't those countries need to take the lead, on behalf of both their people and the people of the less affluent nations, in learning from this current event and in planning to handle future similar outbreaks especially as both the UN and WHO are impotent due to political influence?

Sure, of course the world has a right to know, but I'm not sure we will.

Do it with the G20 countries, by all means!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Sure, of course the world has a right to know, but I'm not sure we will.

Do it with the G20 countries, by all means!

It is the G20 countries that the PM has written to calling for an inquiry and China is reacting to that.  They are not worried about Australia per se but they are worried about any action the collective G20 countries could take against them.  Chins is the biggest exporter in the world and the G20 countries could easily cripple China's growth and it would likely help the G20 countries' own recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonar said:

I agree that there needs to be an inquiry into, but not a witch hunt about China,into how when where and why the virus got so out of control.

The thing is that the govts of many countries would want any inquiry to be a narrowly focused one so to shield them or their govts responses and reactions from too much scutiny.and their own lack of response.. Remember when this started our own PM was off to the footy despite the evidence coming out of Wuhan and Italy.It was the state Premiers that acted first....Dan Andrews in particular with F1 GP ban.

China has the ability to cause enormous damage to the Aus economy. They will do it without even blinking if they think they are being setup by a witch hunt. 

The bit I highlighted is exactly what needs to happen because it is China's apparent failure to disclose the problem when it first appeared that has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths.  It doesn't take much analysis of the data to show that days are crucial in responding to the pandemic and China withholding information from WHO for a fortnight or more, if true, is criminal.  We are fortunate that our first cases of infection were "well after" other countries and we were able to respond in the light of what was happening overseas in a more appropriate manner than most had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flytox said:

The bit I highlighted is exactly what needs to happen because it is China's apparent failure to disclose the problem when it first appeared that has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths.  It doesn't take much analysis of the data to show that days are crucial in responding to the pandemic and China withholding information from WHO for a fortnight or more, if true, is criminal.  We are fortunate that our first cases of infection were "well after" other countries and we were able to respond in the light of what was happening overseas in a more appropriate manner than most had.

As I said , there needs to be an inquiry , but when it's being used as a political weapon by other govts to deflect from their own failings.....a la Trump , and to demonise a people , the Chinese , no matter where they live , then thats where problems start. 

These people didn't start corona.......but they got targeted.....and why China will basically say to other govts, eff off. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/chinese-australian-family-racist-coronavirus-racist-attack-speak/12178884

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sonar said:

As I said , there needs to be an inquiry , but when it's being used as a political weapon by other govts to deflect from their own failings.....a la Trump , and to demonise a people , the Chinese , no matter where they live , then thats where problems start. 

These people didn't start corona.......but they got targeted.....and why China will basically say to other govts, eff off. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/chinese-australian-family-racist-coronavirus-racist-attack-speak/12178884

 

 

Disgraceful and foul behaviour towards local Chinese and Oz-born people of Chinese descent - my wife is a psychologist and has had two cases of this already towards her clients and cannot be justified in any way. The ignorance of some Australians  in how the virus is spread etc is mind boggling, not to mention the easy casual racism.

It should be emphasized that the gripe most of use have is with the CCP, not the Chinese people or their local relatives. It should also be remembered that (one day!) Trump will be gone (bring it on!!!!) but the CCP is likely to still be with us and we shouldn't lose sight of the bigger picture that, as far as we can ascertain from a regime that specialises in obfuscation and propaganda, the CCP has deliberately delayed its response to this pandemic and tried to cover it up in the early stages. We (and indeed the Chinese population) need to know how it started so that it can be prevented from happening again if at all possible. 

Not to excuse the pathetic and astonishing response to COVID-19 by Trump et al - it beggars belief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonar said:

As I said , there needs to be an inquiry , but when it's being used as a political weapon by other govts to deflect from their own failings.....a la Trump , and to demonise a people , the Chinese , no matter where they live , then thats where problems start. 

These people didn't start corona.......but they got targeted.....and why China will basically say to other govts, eff off. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/chinese-australian-family-racist-coronavirus-racist-attack-speak/12178884

 

 

I don't see an inquiry being a witch-hunt or a deflection by other governments from their responsibility for their own responses.  What is needed is a tuning of the mechanisms by which an epidemic is communicated to WHO and the rest of the world in its initial stages.  As I said previously it is a matter of days in this early stage that affects the strength and reach of a local epidemic and transitions it to a large scale pandemic.  WHO needs to know immediately of a potential threat and needs to have people on the ground assessing the situation.  WHO's own framework for assessment, classification and notification of a threat needs to be tightened so that they cannot be swayed politically by the country where the threat is emanating from.

The demonising of a people based on the actions of their government or by the "forces of nature" as in this case is totally wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you have members of govt.....re George Christensen , Qld ,.....who for his own politcal benefit is saying we need to "shirtfront China"...then the rhetoric has gone from a health matter to a racial and political one.Same as Trump.

I agree there needs to be an inquiry , not a kangaroo court where politicians have basically decided guilt. China does have questions to answer but the rhetoric from certain poilticians around the globe is going to make it nigh on impossible when the guilty is already decided.

Personally I don't demonise a countrys citizens because of the actions of it's govt I just wish others....and politicians.....would do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sonar said:

When you have members of govt.....re George Christensen , Qld ,.....who for his own politcal benefit is saying we need to "shirtfront China"...then the rhetoric has gone from a health matter to a racial and political one.Same as Trump.

I agree there needs to be an inquiry , not a kangaroo court where politicians have basically decided guilt. China does have questions to answer but the rhetoric from certain poilticians around the globe is going to make it nigh on impossible when the guilty is already decided.

Personally I don't demonise a countrys citizens because of the actions of it's govt I just wish others....and politicians.....would do the same.

The worst political actions so far are by China itself threatening Australia and other countries with economic sanctions just for raising the need for an enquiry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sonar said:

When you have members of govt.....re George Christensen , Qld ,.....who for his own politcal benefit is saying we need to "shirtfront China"...then the rhetoric has gone from a health matter to a racial and political one.Same as Trump.

I agree there needs to be an inquiry , not a kangaroo court where politicians have basically decided guilt. China does have questions to answer but the rhetoric from certain poilticians around the globe is going to make it nigh on impossible when the guilty is already decided.

Personally I don't demonise a countrys citizens because of the actions of it's govt I just wish others....and politicians.....would do the same.

I really don't like the term shirtfront. It really shits for some reason. I'd never heard it before our lord and master Tones used it when he thought he was somehow going to 'talk to' good old Vlad. So I looked up where it came from.

A shirtfront, an Australian rules football term, is a "head-on charge aimed at bumping an opponent to the ground" (Urban dictionary)

The idea that charging at someone results in a 'bump' is dumber than dog ****. You don't see a head on between 2 cars described as a bump (or shirtfront). And with good reason. ITS A ******* COLLISION. What a stupid term, used by stupid people (not talking about you sonar), in the stupid contexts that don't make sense outside of the reason is was coined in the first place, which also don't make sense either! 

But I think I get what George is saying. He wants to call out China, and fair enough I guess. But if he's going to, then he shouldn't be using stupid words, and he should do it impartially, or at least make a better effort in pretending he hasn't made up his mind already. He (and others) should also be prepared to accept a finding contrary to what he 'believes' are the facts. 

(sorry, went on a little bit of a rant there without really contributing to the discussion for no real reason. Dont mind me, just having one of those days i think. ****) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's a dumb term to use in any political context.

In AFL it's kind of like a hitup in league. Or  a shoulder charge. It does happen. If someone is running at you full pelt the best way to lay them out is to lean in with the shoulder, you've got a much better change at knocking them over that way rather than trying to tackle them with your arms.

Anyway, if Christensen wants to "shirtfront" china, what does he want to do to the Philipines? Shirt lift, I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an instant sign of an idiot, for any of our politicians to talk about us "shirt fronting" global leaders or their nations.

Delusional idiots.

PS I agree with SG that it is a ridiculous term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, marron said:

I agree it's a dumb term to use in any political context.

In AFL it's kind of like a hitup in league. Or  a shoulder charge. It does happen. If someone is running at you full pelt the best way to lay them out is to lean in with the shoulder, you've got a much better change at knocking them over that way rather than trying to tackle them with your arms.

Anyway, if Christensen wants to "shirtfront" china, what does he want to do to the Philipines? Shirt lift, I guess?

Sure, I get what it actually is. But it's described as a bump. A bump! If I want to charge at someone with the intention to knock them to the ground, I'm not bumping them. At least a hitup sounds like what the player is doing. But shirtfront? It sounds like that **** they do before the game starts where they bump and grab each others shirt. But then again, I'm somewhat of a simple person. These big words confuse me a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says more about the boofhead element in the community that this kind of statement is meant to appeal to.

It's the "my dad could totally beat up your dad" of international politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...