marron

Armageddon Thread

On 21 May 2020 at 10:27 PM, Midfielder said:

Maybe a separate thread but China's actions..... 

The latest is iron oar ... 

In their main paper it said...""" the Global Times declared: “China has the power to hurt the Aussie economy.”

Most strategic analysts agree that China's aim is to try separate us from the US and bend us to their will.

Their comments this week have backed up that theory, China is sorely mistaken if they think we'd ever choose them over the US.

14 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Most strategic analysts agree that China's aim is to try separate us from the US and bend us to their will.

Their comments this week have backed up that theory, China is sorely mistaken if they think we'd ever choose them over the US.

Whilst that's true, the current US regime isn't making that decision particularly easy.

43 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

This is where appeasing for the sake of Chinese $"s get you. I still can't fathom the federal Libs allowing China to lease the Port of Darwin.....idiots or effwits come to mind.

Of course, it'll be their 'Pig Iron Bob' moment.

Kinda scary that kids could spread it again and a friend family member tested positive for covid19 last week and has no symptoms and was told he could have been carrying the disease for weeks with no effect on him, they even organised to come to his home as he lives alone and been isolated so they wanted to test surfaces and things in his home. 

I found this article quite interesting.  I don't know anything about the National Post so don't hang me if it is a publication that is not balanced in its reporting.

Sweden in deep economic crisis despite soft lockdown, as per capita deaths rise

Sweden kept most businesses open during the pandemic, opting for voluntary measures on social distancing and basic hygiene

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/sweden-in-deep-economic-crisis-as-per-capita-deaths-rise-despite-soft-lockdown

17 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

17 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst that's true, the current US regime isn't making that decision particularly easy.

Agree both comments...

16 hours ago, sonar said:

This is where appeasing for the sake of Chinese $"s get you. I still can't fathom the federal Libs allowing China to lease the Port of Darwin.....idiots or effwits come to mind.

13 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Of course, it'll be their 'Pig Iron Bob' moment.

The pig iron Bob comment is most apt....

I doubt there is a key government decision maker in the Federal government today, who does not see us looking for new markets and trying to reduce our reliance on China.

"pig iron" Bob would be lost on most aussies. Needs to be a total rethink on foriegn investment re agri businesses and natural resources. Interesting debate to be had as some countries allow foriegn owners and some don't.

Great that this thread is no longer the hottest thread on the forums!

This seems a balanced perspective.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/05/30/face-masks-are-no-silver-bullet/

I bought some - haven't worn them, but definitely would wear them on public transport if I was using it, and think they definitely should be worn if someone is unwell and HAS to go out at all.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/05/30/face-masks-are-no-silver-bullet/

I bought some - haven't worn them, but definitely would wear them on public transport if I was using it, and think they definitely should be worn if someone is unwell and HAS to go out at all.

Yep. I have worn them and gloves and have some in the car glove box all the time. Should be mandatory for all publict transport users. Just my opinion.:hi:

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

I was following a discussion between my nephew (anaesthetist)  and various friends the other week and he was explaining that an individual wearing a mask for their own protection can actually be counterproductive in that it increases the risk of transmission of the virus to them from uncovered carriers of the virus.  The mask can become a reservoir of collected matter including the virus over the day and it is incorrect doffing procedure that can result in the virus being transmitted from the mask.  Who of us would have thought that there was a correct way to take a mask off?

45 minutes ago, sonar said:

Yep. I have worn them and gloves and have some in the car glove box all the time. Should be mandatory for all publict transport users. Just my opinion.:hi:

Totally agree.

And, from the article - it really should at the very least, be an act of courtesy....if a person is unwell in public eg at the GP's clinic.

"So wearing a mask may well be “an altruistic act that helps prevent you contaminating your environment,” says clinical researcher Meg Jardine of The George Institute for Global Health."

7 minutes ago, Flytox said:

I was following a discussion between my nephew (anaesthetist)  and various friends the other week and he was explaining that an individual wearing a mask for their own protection can actually be counterproductive in that it increases the risk of transmission of the virus to them from uncovered carriers of the virus.  The mask can become a reservoir of collected matter including the virus over the day and it is incorrect doffing procedure that can result in the virus being transmitted from the mask.  Who of us would have thought that there was a correct way to take a mask off?

Yes - that's covered in the article I linked - and it has been raised in discussions in the media (and makes sense)  - but I think it simply means we need to be educated about that.

13 hours ago, wendybr said:

On the mask front, my mother-in-law has made me some homemade masks & enough so if I’m out I don’t need to reuse & can wash them properly. Not as good as a P2 mask but still have to be careful washing them & taking them off.

With public transport the way it is not really needed but there for when things ramp up & going through big crowds. Obviously perfect for when I’m sick but I can tell you that it makes it hard to breathe wearing for long periods of time!!

Can't believe how Americans are destroying their own country some scary videos from at least 20 states of violence and police beatings and running cars through crowds. Can't look at it as I seen some truly horrific stuff even innocent people being mob attack. 

Thankfully we don't have a leader like trumpet, he will send in the army and people will die. 

1 hour ago, Burgerman said:

Can't believe how Americans are destroying their own country some scary videos from at least 20 states of violence and police beatings and running cars through crowds. Can't look at it as I seen some truly horrific stuff even innocent people being mob attack. 

Thankfully we don't have a leader like trumpet, he will send in the army and people will die. 

i remember after rodney king there was a truck driver called reginald denny, bunch of people swarmed his truck threw him out and started beating the hell out of him

they were angry and had every right to be angry but why take it out on some random truck driver, if you are going to riot and beat the **** out of someone make sure its not an innocent person because that just makes the situation worse

Seems like there are three types of people there. The ones who want to protest, the ones who see it as an opportunity to smash up a Target and steal a flat screen and the ones trying to escalate it for political or ideological reasons. Read a few articles claiming that there are far left anarchists trying to escalate the damage and far right white supremacists trying to start a race war.

On 24/05/2020 at 8:38 AM, Edinburgh said:

The UK has nothing to brag about but I'd mention the numbers of India, Peru and Chile before the UK.

It’s pretty bad that the UK as first world nation has to look to India to find somewhere doing worse 

13 minutes ago, Davo said:

Seems like there are three types of people there. The ones who want to protest, the ones who see it as an opportunity to smash up a Target and steal a flat screen and the ones trying to escalate it for political or ideological reasons. Read a few articles claiming that there are far left anarchists trying to escalate the damage and far right white supremacists trying to start a race war.

Yep. 

This ( riots etc ) is what happens when politicians and others stir and stir division and intolerance.....a la Alan Jones,Hanson & co and Cronulla or when law enforcement profile people based on ethnicity race & religion and not on whether a crime was commited.

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Seems like there are three types of people there. The ones who want to protest, the ones who see it as an opportunity to smash up a Target and steal a flat screen and the ones trying to escalate it for political or ideological reasons. Read a few articles claiming that there are far left anarchists trying to escalate the damage and far right white supremacists trying to start a race war.

sadly i can imagine this is true, disasters bring out both the worst and best in people and right now we are seeing a lot of the worst

6 hours ago, Davo said:

Yep...just about sums it up. I'm beginning to think that regardless of who wins the November election, the US will be fooked for a while yet.

i felt mean for finding this funny but there is a video out of a couple being stopped by the police(about 10 of them in full riot gear) and the couple were returning from a protest and they kept using the taser on them despite them cooperating and lucky a few of the police were fired for the incident but the mayor of the area said they found the video shocking

really? that is the word you wanted to use? i found the word amusing because of the situation but not the situation funny because that is yet another case of police brutality

then there are videos of police using rubber bullets on people who are in their front yards just sitting there, they are not really trying hard to make things better for them

You wouldn't want to be Russia right now if this doctor is correct

She exposed Vladimir Putin's coronavirus lies. Then the might of the Russian state struck back http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-02/anastasia-vasilyeva-doctors-alliance-russia-coronavirus/12276094

Children's community sport can restart on the 1st July

Date set for gyms to reopen in NSW as State Government announces what coronavirus restrictions will be eased next http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-02/nsw-coronavirus-restrictions-on-gyms-to-be-lifted-from-june-13/12310984