marron

Armageddon Thread

@marron.

We saw significant drop in traffic during the restrictions proven by data from big tech.

Considerable less traffic on mass transit.

People in the suburbs made a significant effort.

What backpackers did on Bondi is of little concern.

Too much Peter Overton, not enough real world marron.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Legionista said:

@marron.

We saw significant drop in traffic during the restrictions proven by data from big tech.

You obviously never went to Bunniings @ Minchinbury......wall to wall people....:D

Edited by sonar

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

@marron.

I'm talking about the weekend mate. You know. The same one the protests were on that supposedly destroyed all the good work. Because while the protest was on, my place was packed full of day trippers and weekenders, creating a 48 hour traffic jam. And the league had scheduled a return to normal already. If there was any shake in the belief in the necessity of restrictions, it was done long before the protests. People have been talking for weeks about how the restrictions are easing, will ease, and have been acting like it more and more, and the weekend showed it.

The country should have been opened up long ago.

So the protestors are libertarian heroes then for bringing the restrictions off a little early? ;)

No they are putting old people in their graves. ;)

That’s what Libertarians were doing a week earlier.

People put their beliefs to the side in solidarity to put a knee on the throat of covid. 

After these protests that’s gone.

2 hours ago, Legionista said:

I do however think that protesting in Australia about what happened in the US made a mockery of discipline we showed as a country and our effort to battle covid-19. 

You think it was only about what happened in the US?

2 hours ago, sonar said:

You obviously never went to Bunniings @ Minchinbury......wall to wall people....:D

Bunnings everywhere from what I've heard... from multiple locations!

But I do think most people did make a significant effort to comply with restrictions.

People put their beliefs to the side in solidarity to put a knee on the throat of covid. 

The govt sent people back to schools...where up to 31 people are crammed into a room together.....2 weeks before the protests. :P

And noone is wearing a mask! ;)

3 hours ago, Legionista said:

I'm not.

And what do you think would have been the consequences of that? Now we have the benefit of hind site, we see countries that didn’t close down or did it slowly and half heartedly (like the US), suffered greatly, whilst those who bit the bullet and did the hard yards can now get in with the hard road back. Even Sweden is admitting they ****ed up. 

28 minutes ago, Cynth said:

And what do you think would have been the consequences of that? Now we have the benefit of hind site, we see countries that didn’t close down or did it slowly and half heartedly (like the US), suffered greatly, whilst those who bit the bullet and did the hard yards can now get in with the hard road back. Even Sweden is admitting they ****ed up. 

It’s all a left wing conspiracy doctors, climate scientists they are all in it together

Its been lead by the Hollywood elite

I still don’t think you  actually believe that 

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Never thought I see the day when a Football organisation would sign an agreement with an AFL organisation but here is an agreement for community sports and shared facilities in NSW

https://footballnsw.com.au/2020/06/11/codes-collaborate-for-community-sports-agreement/

2020 - what a year ….!! :(

It certainly hasn't always brought out the best in humanity, but there have been a few positives, and people and communities working together/sharing/helping each other is one positive....for as long as it lasts.

On 10/06/2020 at 7:34 PM, Legionista said:

I'm not.

I can’t agree with you Legion

On 10/06/2020 at 10:51 PM, Cynth said:

Cynth here is spot on, you’ve only got to see the U.S. they didn’t go hard enough early enough, the lockdowns effectively just bought them some time & it is very worrying now after weeks of declining numbers that they’ve had increased numbers in a number of key states. It’s incredibly worrying, their second wave might be closer than we may think.

In the case of Sweden, it’s an interesting one. Their was a news article a number of weeks ago that “they admitted that they screwed up” but the following day announced that it was a mistranslation stating that they wouldn’t go for a hard lock down. It’s hard to agree, they’ve had the highest deaths per capita in Europe, they’ve had the virus rip through the elderly & lost too many preventable deaths. The chief health official did say that if they had the opportunity again they’d implement something between what they tried & what  other countries applied but why? They are no closer to herd immunity & other countries are closing its borders to them, so many avoidable deaths.

In NSW we have almost eliminated community transmission, in Victoria it’s a little bit more but everywhere else around the country it’s eliminated (apart from imported cases from overseas).  We are in such a fortunate position, our strategy is working & if we are lucky enough in a few weeks time everything will be open & we will have a new normal other countries could only dream.

On 10/06/2020 at 10:18 PM, wendybr said:

You think it was only about what happened in the US?

It was the trigger.

On 10/06/2020 at 10:51 PM, Cynth said:

The initial lockdown was a must, I think there's little doubt, but now, I don't see a need for any restrictions.

There has been no community transmission for nearly 2 weeks I believe.

Ultimately we will have to face this, we'll have to open up international borders and then we will lose control.

Lockdowns were not about eradication, they were about buying time to make sure we were ready.

We are ready more or less now.

Let's open up.

On 10/06/2020 at 11:21 PM, StringerBellend said:

It’s all a left wing conspiracy doctors, climate scientists they are all in it together

Its been lead by the Hollywood elite

When these same doctors and members of the elite at one end attack people for wanting their businesses to open and return to some type of normal life and on the other ignore tens of thousands of people not observing social distancing at protests then we have problems.

This is a scenario where the types of conspiracy theories thrive.

10 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I can’t agree with you Legion

Cynth here is spot on, you’ve only got to see the U.S. they didn’t go hard enough early enough, the lockdowns effectively just bought them some time & it is very worrying now after weeks of declining numbers that they’ve had increased numbers in a number of key states. It’s incredibly worrying, their second wave might be closer than we may think.

In the case of Sweden, it’s an interesting one. Their was a news article a number of weeks ago that “they admitted that they screwed up” but the following day announced that it was a mistranslation stating that they wouldn’t go for a hard lock down. It’s hard to agree, they’ve had the highest deaths per capita in Europe, they’ve had the virus rip through the elderly & lost too many preventable deaths. The chief health official did say that if they had the opportunity again they’d implement something between what they tried & what  other countries applied but why? They are no closer to herd immunity & other countries are closing its borders to them, so many avoidable deaths.

In NSW we have almost eliminated community transmission, in Victoria it’s a little bit more but everywhere else around the country it’s eliminated (apart from imported cases from overseas).  We are in such a fortunate position, our strategy is working & if we are lucky enough in a few weeks time everything will be open & we will have a new normal other countries could only dream.

We were extremely fortunate.

So let's go out and protest in our tens of thousands. Let's eff it up.

Fo' George Floyd.

It was the trigger.

Of course, but the injustice has been evident since 1788.

And agitation for serious change, on a whole lot of issues, has been simmering, (quite rightly) for decades.

The initial lockdown was a must, I think there's little doubt, but now, I don't see a need for any restrictions.

There has been no community transmission for nearly 2 weeks I believe.

Ultimately we will have to face this, we'll have to open up international borders and then we will lose control.

Lockdowns were not about eradication, they were about buying time to make sure we were ready.

We are ready more or less now.

Let's open up.

Pretty sure we are!

PS Do they know where the Rose Bay Primary School person has contracted it from? Community transmission was it?? :sad:

When these same doctors and members of the elite at one end attack people for wanting their businesses to open and return to some type of normal life and on the other ignore tens of thousands of people not observing social distancing at protests then we have problems.

In all honesty, Legia, what could authorities have done to disperse 10-20,000 protesters last weekend?

It seemed easy to thwart a few hundred last night, but with thousands???

I think I heard they restricted public transport last night, which is all I can think of that they could have done to stop the crowds. Unless you are advocating the sorts of confrontations/battles we've seen in the US.

You would advocate shutting down public transport to stop the protests, would you?

14 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Of course, but the injustice has been evidence since 1788.

And agitation for serious change, on a whole lot of issues, has been simmering, (quite rightly) for decades.

So what's serious change?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

In all honesty, Legia, what could authorities have done to disperse 10-20,000 protesters last weekend?

It seemed easy to thwart a few hundred last night, but with thousands???

I think I heard they restricted public transport last night, which is all I can think of that they could have done to stop the crowds. Unless you are advocating the sorts of confrontations/battles we've seen in the US.

You would advocate shutting down public transport to stop the protests, would you?

Nothing.

Just like the authorities could not have done anything if millions ignored restrictions on the lockdowns we had.

We, the people, have willingly participated, putting our political leanings to the side, in a sign of solidarity, because the gravity of the situation required it. We had to deal with something new, we recognised that we did not know enough, and that extreme caution was in order.

Not the protestors.

Edited by Legionista

Serious change....?

How about some action to close the gap on identified issues, respecting a unified call for a voice to Parliament as in the Uluru Statement from the Heart, and maybe following the guidelines from the Royal Commission from 30 years ago, and seeing an end to the shocking stats around deaths in custody?

When these same doctors and members of the elite... ignore tens of thousands of people not observing social distancing at protests then we have problems.

When you say there was nothing they could have done, but you'd previously said that they "ignored tens of thousands...." isn't there a contradiction?

Listening to Dr Andrew Miller, a bigwig from WA ...on this issue right now on radio.

He's defending the protesters, who are outdoors, ...mostly wearing masks and passing around hand sanitizer.

As opposed to people crowding into shopping centres who are not wearing masks and are not attempting physical distancing at all.

Interesting.

27 minutes ago, wendybr said:

When you say there was nothing they could have done, but you'd previously said that they "ignored tens of thousands...." isn't there a contradiction?

Because that's the point.

The double standard.

We are told that we cannot break social distancing, no exceptions, but for the protestors an exception was made.

Surely as a small government libertarian who doesn’t believe in the COVID lock down and sees that governments and public services should be downsized (police?) you would be supportive of the protests? 

My little consipiracy theory is 

may be just maybe Some of those now showing concern about large gatherings Covid are not being entirely genuine in their concern