marron

Armageddon Thread

And America hasn't even flattened the curve.

Interesting that the country's ruled by 3 of most autocratic leaders are just not flattening their Covid19 curves: USA (Trump), Russia ( Putin) and Brazil (bolsanaro).

Most of our cases appear to be linked with returned travellers from the subcontinent, including the community transmission cases in Victoria. Looks like these returned travellers need 28 days in lockdown WITHOUT direct contact with others except medical staff. I have seen a report that a security guard broke the protocols in one of the hotels and took the virus to his family. It has since spread through family gathering to the various clusters in metropolitan Melbourne. 

Good thing that Premier  Andrews refused to listen to Scumbo based on the advice from the best epidemiological expert in the country, who happens to be Victoria's Chief Medical Officer,  Brett Sutton.

16 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I think Victoria & now Germany have shown that we need to be careful

I have said here that we relaxed the rules a month too early. If they had waited a month with no new infections, then relax. If we aren't careful we will have Lockdown 2.0

25 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

And just for Scumbo and co

Queensland and WA right to keep borders closed: Grattan report http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-22/report-supports-queensland-and-western-australia-border-closures/12378410

I totally think the Covid -free states should have the right to keep their borders shut to states where it has not been controlled. Why risk undoing the amazing achievement they have gained.

FWIW.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

I totally think the Covid -free states should have the right to keep their borders shut to states where it has not been controlled. Why risk undoing the amazing achievement they have gained.

FWIW.

That's not what the evil axis of Scumbo, Clive Palmer and Pauline Hanson think.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

That's not what the evil axis of Scumbo, Clive Palmer and Pauline Hanson think.

Not forgetting Dutton !!

^^^^^^

Paul01

The US has made cov 19 a political thing... its as we all know a medical thing... making the virus a political thing IMO is dangerous...

Our governments have done an amazing job and yes some countries have done better.... but in a liberal democratic country like Australia with 10's of thousands of international travelers the combined effort to date has been remarkable....  that in late Feb we were still in the top 10 and today  aside from Victoria there has been no community to local community in 14 days NSW 23 days QLD and it so it goes. The ACT has not had a community to community case in 73 days with boarders open to both NSW & VIC.

I don't mind questioning whats the health experts are advising... but its the health experts advise that each government is taking and the various states have set different bars to the reopening and thats fine but compared to most of the world we are doing extremely  well for a country with our population and  society...

If you have not seen it check the following site out IMO its the best in Australia for summarizing our position and if you click on each state in the first chart it opens up details on each state.

https://covidlive.com.au/

39 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

^^^^^^

Paul01

The US has made cov 19 a political thing... its as we all know a medical thing... making the virus a political thing IMO is dangerous...

Our governments have done an amazing job and yes some countries have done better.... but in a liberal democratic country like Australia with 10's of thousands of international travelers the combined effort to date has been remarkable....  that in late Feb we were still in the top 10 and today  aside from Victoria there has been no community to local community in 14 days NSW 23 days QLD and it so it goes. The ACT has not had a community to community case in 73 days with boarders open to both NSW & VIC.

I don't mind questioning whats the health experts are advising... but its the health experts advise that each government is taking and the various states have set different bars to the reopening and thats fine but compared to most of the world we are doing extremely  well for a country with our population and  society...

If you have not seen it check the following site out IMO its the best in Australia for summarizing our position and if you click on each state in the first chart it opens up details on each state.

https://covidlive.com.au/

Nice site Middy.

I question the medical advice of Brendan Murphy, current Chief Medical Officer for the federal government, who seemed to just echo the sentiment our the PM. As I found out today, he has been appointed at Secretary of the Health ( Federal). Obviously, he would support the current PM as the incoming head public servant for Health. BTW His speciality is liver disease.

In the case of Brett Sutton, Chief Medical Officer of Victoria, he is Australia's foremost expert in epidemiology. I would take his advice over Murphy's.

The current PM attempted to bully the Victorian Premier into lifting Covid-19 restrictions early. Imagine if Andrews had allowed this to happen :ninja:

10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Nice site Middy.

I question the medical advice of Brendan Murphy, current Chief Medical Officer for the federal government, who seemed to just echo the sentiment our the PM. As I found out today, he has been appointed at Secretary of the Health ( Federal). Obviously, he would support the current PM as the incoming head public servant for Health. BTW His speciality is liver disease.

In the case of Brett Sutton, Chief Medical Officer of Victoria, he is Australia's foremost expert in epidemiology. I would take his advice over Murphy's.

The current PM attempted to bully the Victorian Premier into lifting Covid-19 restrictions early. Imagine if Andrews had allowed this to happen :ninja:

Paul

I don't wanta get into an argument but you asserting Murphy is effectively a puppet of So Mo ... I find that impossible... if anything all governments and I am gob smacked by this have followed the advise of their medical people..

Who is the best medical person I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion... what I can say is the early closure of schools by first NSW then Victoria at the advise of their medical teams was IMO correct and the closure of state boarders by Tassie first with others following was also correct...meaning I guess that common sense is being applied by each state .. 

Interestingly NSW which has been the loudest state followed by Victoria in asking for boarders to be opened looks like recommending that people do not travel to Melbourne in the school holidays...

As an aside I look at  https://covidlive.com.au/ site daily to get an update for myself and NSW I think over the last 6 weeks has had less cases of community to community cases than QLD but because NSW is the chief city for people returning from overseas its case number is higher... I think NSW has in the last 4 weeks only had one community to community case as far as I can remember.

My criticism of the Fed gov and has been from the start is if a person has cov 19 and has no sick leave then the government should pay for the person to stay home in the grand scheme of things it would not be that much ... 

However I think on the whole all governments have looked to do the right thing... 

19 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Nice site Middy.

Advice to the government comes from the AHPPC which Murphy chairs.  Its members are the State and Territory CMO's.  They also have co-opted a group of experts to provide the level of advice that is needed when they prepare advice to the government.  The linked article gives an insight into the process and Murphy's role in it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/inside-morrison-s-expert-medical-advice-circle-20200327-p54ekq.html

12 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Advice to the government comes from the AHPPC which Murphy chairs.  Its members are the State and Territory CMO's.  They also have co-opted a group of experts to provide the level of advice that is needed when they prepare advice to the government.  The linked article gives an insight into the process and Murphy's role in it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/inside-morrison-s-expert-medical-advice-circle-20200327-p54ekq.html

Whilst he might be chair that doesn't mean there are not dissenting voices within the committee. Sutton didn't bend to the Scumbo's dictate.

This is me sharing quite an emotion conversation I had around 5:00 today .... it was another side of the cov 19 environment ... I have never considered it, knew about but had never considered it.. I offer no solution or have I changed my mind on when we open up, however it does add some weight to calls that work is important for many people.

My next door neighbour works in the arts he is in the  entertainment side of things as a technical person.... he has managed two days work since the shut down rules... he tells me many middle sized media companies have gone to the wall and he knows 6 people who have taken their lives due to the financial pressure all men by the way...  No idea how he feels about knowing so many people who have taken their lives and working wit some over the years 

There were three of us there both my neighbours on both sides of my house... the other neighbour is an engineer and working from home and by and large my practice has not suffered that much... So we are both fine... 

We plan to get together on the weekend and the two of us working were concerned for  the other neighbour who deregistered one of their cars to get some money..thats what started the conversation.

I saw in this conversation a different side of cov 19 hhhmmmmm theme... if like me and all my family there has been no cut back in work and income you want hard core lockdowns and boarders closed... if you have no income with raising debt levels  and no work in site, then delays for small numbers seem hard to justify..

4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Whilst he might be chair that doesn't mean there are not dissenting voices within the committee. Sutton didn't bend to the Scumbo's dictate.

Indeed, the article says there is robust debate and Sutton is noted as on the conservative side but the reality is the committee generally comes to a consensus view.

I was reading the transcript of a podcast this evening where the ABC's Norman Swan made the comment that the R0 value for Australia remained at 1 or just under while for Victoria it was between 1.5 and 2.0 which is where exponential growth is probable.  He also observed that the regular polling that has been done on restriction compliance in April showed 80% compliance in Victoria but now shows only 25% compliance.  I hope people get the message that this thing is still on a knife edge in Australia with the need to follow the basics absolutely essential still if we want the "opening up" to proceed safely.

The US looks like it’s picking up now

So just a disturbing fact for everyone that Google have automatically added a covid19 tracking to your Google, go to your settings and see it for yourself. No update authorization required and have forced it on everyone's devices and is active on Bluetooth. I deactivate Google completely. 

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Here's some more information about it. Not as bad as it sounds.

Google’s Coronavirus Contact Tracing Setting Isn’t Tracking You

The way that governments have set up these tracing apps are not perfect especially from a safety or privacy perspective.

If you choose to download an app like “COVIDSafe”, these software changes that both google & Apple have made allow these apps to work is a safer, smarter way whilst safeguarding your privacy & protect your phone.

I could be wrong but I believe that most governments will need to update the current software in order to take advantage of the new tweaks that both of them are made. I could be wrong, could anyone verify?

Lane cove West public school closes temporarily due to Covid-19 infection

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Lane cove West public school closes temporarily due to Covid-19 infection

Hmmm...so not a overseas quarantine case!

:(

12 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

The way that governments have set up these tracing apps are not perfect especially from a safety or privacy perspective.

If you choose to download an app like “COVIDSafe”, these software changes that both google & Apple have made allow these apps to work is a safer, smarter way whilst safeguarding your privacy & protect your phone.

I could be wrong but I believe that most governments will need to update the current software in order to take advantage of the new tweaks that both of them are made. I could be wrong, could anyone verify?

Yeah from the article it says that the system can only be turned on by an approved app and only one app is approved per country. I looked on my phone (iPhone), the exposure logging is off and I can't turn it on myself. It says "You cannot turn on Exposure Logging without an authorised app installed that can send Exposure Notifications". The article also says that COVIDSafe currently doesn't use the system and is going to testing to see if it can be implemented.

As far as I can tell the Exposure Logging system isn't for recording data, that's the app. It's just to allow approved apps to have better access to Bluetooth and better manage battery life. I think it's to do with issues around running the app in the background and it not getting priority for Bluetooth.

So it's a non issue that it be forced into your device without permission even our government working with them to do so .I'm sure a profit making corporation will do the right thing hahaha 

33 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

So it's a non issue that it be forced into your device without permission even our government working with them to do so

You have nothing to worry about Burger, by itself the software changes by Apple/Google can’t work without the app. I know it’s hard to believe that these tech giants have facilitated protecting our privacy.

You're right, Apple/Google have been working with governments to make these app not only work better but better protect the privacy of users. The reason? Bluetooth & the operating systems were never made with contract tracing in mind. It’s why there has been so many issues across the world trying to get the app working.

They’re tracking ya don’t worry bout that. 

On 25/06/2020 at 12:53 AM, wendybr said:

Hmmm...so not a overseas quarantine case!

:(

Camden school today.

The thing I don't get about these isolated kid school cases is you never hear about a follow up. Was any family infected / where did they get it from. Always seems to be 1 isolated kid at a school and no numbers / information around them....it seems they are an isolated bubble that somehow mysteriously contracted covid and somehow never passed it on and family around them not impacted?