marron

Armageddon Thread

Nah...I don't buy that.

Surely people see a difference.

PS Most people seemed to do the right thing, initially. 

53 minutes ago, mack said:

Increasingly the "what you can do for your country" has ended with "pay for endless military conflict and tax cuts for billionaires & corporate welfare". No wonder people are pushing back.

Cynical Kennedy did a lot for both human rights and the rights of poor people especially blacks in America, his actions on environmental issues were huge, he even tried to get medicare set up but failed... yes there is The Bay of Pigs and how that is represented in that he either stood up and stared down Russia without going to war OR he over reacted and cut off Cuba ...

Kennedy was no angel, but show me a world leader of any time of a great power who is....

The difference between Kennedy and Trump is beyond the beyond...

I am not about to argue with you the US and their wars as I have been opposed to most...however the point being made was pertaining to some people refuse to take any responsibility for pandemic systems we are advised to follow...  my example of the Ettalong pub with some people going out of there way to not fill in the register of who is there ... the lines of people at the  Eastern Sydney pub...

People who are told they can't work and many of their lives are very unpleasant are seeing this .... the obvious question is why   should we suffer when many people working refuse to follow social distancing rules, fill in registers, etc...

In some countries they got it under control, but the population of these countries have accepted its in everyone's interest for everyone to follow basic rules.. wear a mask, social distance, don't sneak to parties, don't try and sneak away for a holiday, if a cafe or restaurant is crowed don't try and ask for an extra table...

Also consider  front line workers, like retail staff, medical workers, winterises, bus drivers and the like who also ... we also owe these people the right to safe work places ...

There is only so much a government can do... 

As Wen has already said ... in Australia today we don't seem to have a hhhmmmmm """Common Good""" thinking, moreover its why can't I do what I want ...

Posted (edited)

Wanderboy makes fantastic point above which I will respond to in more detail when more time..

The virus has arrived in my local shopping centre for the first time..very worried this morning...:unsure:

Edited by Smoggy

11 hours ago, sonar said:

Idiots....and the main reason why I still think we opened up a month too early.  I really feel for the medicos/health staff.....like the firies earlier in the year.....no respite and no end in sight. I don't get the hate pile on for the Vics.....the Ruby Princess debacle killed way more and that was the Libs..... Fed/State.

The Vics opened up and selfish people ****ed it.

The concerning issue in Victoria was the outsourcing of the security provided to returned travellers who were isolating in hotels to essentially poorly trained, poorly paid private security workers. I guess we'll have to wait until the investigation is completed, but it seems that they were not only on the "front line" with negligible training, but were also making decisions and not directly supervised by the Vic police or Health. Classic modern government - "let the private sector do it - they're always better and cheaper" - well guess what......

Not denying the Ruby Princess stuff-up though.

9 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

The concerning issue in Victoria was the outsourcing of the security provided to returned travellers who were isolating in hotels to essentially poorly trained, poorly paid private security workers. I guess we'll have to wait until the investigation is completed, but it seems that they were not only on the "front line" with negligible training, but were also making decisions and not directly supervised by the Vic police or Health. Classic modern government - "let the private sector do it - they're always better and cheaper" - well guess what......

Not denying the Ruby Princess stuff-up though.

The thing is the private company was paid taxpayer dollars to deliver a service....it failed miserably.. I would take legal action to recover the funds paid out.

21 minutes ago, sonar said:

The thing is the private company was paid taxpayer dollars to deliver a service....it failed miserably.. I would take legal action to recover the funds paid out.

Couldn't agree more. However, the buck still stops with the Government as it still has overarching responsibility via the Department of Health etc - it is their decision to utilise whichever private contractors. And we see this more and more - transport, health, even prisons, which I find particularly reprehensible - the idea of contracting out state-delivered punitive services, with attendant distancing of responsibility and command is repugnant - especially when you delve into the background of some of the companies who are used to provide these services....it's all designed to reduce costs (which invariably it does not do), reward lobbyists and mates in the private sector and cloud accountability, but I digress......

1 hour ago, Potkorok said:

Couldn't agree more. However, the buck still stops with the Government as it still has overarching responsibility via the Department of Health etc - it is their decision to utilise whichever private contractors. And we see this more and more - transport, health, even prisons, which I find particularly reprehensible - the idea of contracting out state-delivered punitive services, with attendant distancing of responsibility and command is repugnant - especially when you delve into the background of some of the companies who are used to provide these services....it's all designed to reduce costs (which invariably it does not do), reward lobbyists and mates in the private sector and cloud accountability, but I digress......

If this was not an issue of national security (albeit state), then I don't know what is. If the state police were overwhelmed (which they were), then call in for the ADF.

We needed people with an assumed degree of integrity (cops or ADF) not a security firm whose main charter is to make $$$$. 

High 400's today from Vic :blink: 

Posted (edited)
On 20/07/2020 at 10:29 PM, Wanderboy said:

I was ecstatic with the peace that came from the breakdown of the Eastern Bloc in the late 80's/early 90's. I travelled to Europe for a long period of time in the early 90's and it was such a happy, vibrant place. I travelled Russia and other former Eastern Bloc countries. They were a delight.   The former Yugoslavia excepted (and that was scary travelling there at the time).  The world seemed to be at peace. It wasn't long after that apartheid ended. I had so much hope that the shite politics the world had endured (cold war, Vietnam, Moscow Olympic boycott, Iran/USA hostility debacle etc... had ended. It seems that we are heading back that way somehow, but in a different way.

This! The mid to late 90's were a special time to be a teenager, I would say around 1997 was the peak. New Labour just came in and for my generation a Tory government was all we knew..they had been in power since 1979. When the election came around in 1997 it was massive for all those like me that had the vote for the first time. Blair was exciting at the time...before he would get bogged down in the Iraq war and WMD issues. When you consider the politics, music and culture in the UK around 1997 it was OUR 1960's, it felt like anything was possible. Peace in Northern Ireland with the Good Friday agreement! Again all my generation knew was troubles in NI and so that felt massive. Unemployment fell to the lowest levels since the early 70's and everything felt new and fresh.

I also went travelling through Eastern Europe in the 1990's and it was glorious. The only exception was the Balkans of course.

It feels like we have been on the slide as a society since the 90's, or perhaps I am just getting old and pessimistic...perhaps...probably lol 

Edited by Smoggy

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Oh yeah 98 I moved to London and met my wife (swings and roundabouts)

I read that as moving to London the good bIt and meeting your wife the bad bit? :D

35 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

High 400's today from Vic :blink: 

If Vic was a US State there would still be 27/28 States with higher figures !!

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

By population Victoria would be the 17th biggest state if they were in America, although if we're comparing coronavirus stats with America something has gone horribly wrong.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Yeah..comparing ourselves to overseas and all the resultant self congratulatory back slapping has I feel started us down the wrong path via complacency in the general public and via political messaging..something i was trying to highlight in this thread back in April...

Edited by Smoggy

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah..comparing ourselves to overseas and all the resultant self congratulatory back slapping has I feel started us down the wrong path via complacency in the general public and via political messaging..something i was trying to highlight in this thread back in April...

but...but...but...the US response has been the best in the world !!  :xnod::xnod:

No doubt the Vic gov messed up the hotel thing.

I don't wanta appear to be sticking up for governments...

The apt according to the PM last night on the 7:30 report... the vast majority of Vic's inflicted with cov 19 recently had not down loaded the apt, its still only around 40%... 

Isolating yourself... seems many Vic's who had felt sick enough to get a test done kept going about their normal business until they got the results according to Vic gov over 90%.

We seem to have a large section of the population who seemingly refuse to follow the rules and just go about their normal lives ...

A client of mine who works for NSW health, says what scares her the most is people who put their own wants above experts and when it does not suit attack the experts and claim some superior knowledge that will go down well with their support base... 

Back again to what I posted yesterday, if you walk into a pub, just find the name register and put yourself on it ... why so many people seem to think they are smart if they can get away with not putting their name on the register to me is mind blowing ... like why don't you wanta know if you come in contact with someone... 

Social rules only work if we accept them, and follow them, social disobedience is a proven  protest method i.e they can't jail 20, 000 people ... 

59 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

The hotel stuff is what started this mess, but this is what is reported today

Combine this with the high number (in the thousands) of Victorians that refused to get tested. Recipe for a complete disaster & this is why we are seeing these big numbers

You just hope that those who are in the hotspots or have been to places of the outbreaks in NSW are following the orders to isolate.

What makes it worse for Victoria is that it isn’t just spreading to regional Victoria now but also to roughly 40 nursing homes which have at least 1 case (some have 30-40+)

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

No.....profit driven private contractor executives getting paid and hiring staff with no qualifications to do a job they weren't qualified to do plus selfish people egged on by the Opposition leader, media and business......messed it up. 

A state government can make rules for companies and individuals to follow but it people do not follow them then what.....

.........jail 6.39 million of them.?

27 minutes ago, sonar said:

No.....profit driven private contractor executives getting paid and hiring staff with no qualifications to do a job they weren't qualified to do plus selfish people egged on by the Opposition leader, media and business......messed it up. 

A state government can make rules for companies and individuals to follow but it people do not follow them then what.....

.........jail 6.39 million of them.?

I blame the system that Howard forced on everyone. Basically make everyone a contractor without permanent employment and you get s***

That said, Andrews should have used the Army and police at the quarantine hotels.

Just now, Paul01 said:

I blame the system that Howard forced on everyone. Basically make everyone a contractor without permanent employment and you get s***

That said, Andrews should have used the Army and police at the quarantine hotels.

Totally agree......but in all of this the private contractor shouldn't be allowed to get away with the gross incompetence of their actions either.

9 hours ago, sonar said:

A state government can make rules for companies and individuals to follow but it people do not follow them 

Yep...same as pink bats, in my view.

12 hours ago, wendybr said:

Some people lack functioning brain cells......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-13/coronacheck-usb-drive-sticker-covid-19/12338622

The "quantum holographic catalyzer technology for the balance and harmonisation of the harmful effects of imbalanced electric radiation" was being sold for as much as £300 ($550).

The myth-busting hasn’t stopped anti-5G activists from continuing to push misinformation, with hundreds protesting in Australia over the rollout of the technology, as well as other gripes including vaccination and the coronavirus lockdown.

Back to real time disappointment. My parents Aged Care centre going back into complete lock down from 5 pm tomorrow afternoon, due to an outbreak in one of their facilities in Victoria. I'm glad I visited them today. They're also allowing me to take mum to a pre-arranged dental appointement on Saturday morning.

Is it any wonder that Victoria is the estranged state in this country, hated by just about every other state and territory in the country?

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Back to real time disappointment. My parents Aged Care centre going back into complete lock down from 5 pm tomorrow afternoon,

:( 

Thinking of you mate, hoping this lock down will mean that there will be no spread where they are living. Hoping it turns out for the best,

:grouphug: