Armageddon Thread

Correction.  It was 7,343 yesterday.  It is 7,566 today.  

The death total for the last 24 hours of 9,082 is the highest of the pandemic thus far and it continues to rise in the northern hemisphere autumn/winter.

I found an infographic of the daily deaths worldwide and their causes.  The current daily deaths from coronavirus would come in as the 4th highest cause of deaths.  It is also the highest of all communicable diseases. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/how-many-people-die-each-day-covid-19-coronavirus/

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Andrews listened to the scientists and look at Victoria now.

4 hours ago, wendybr said:

Yes!

Thank God for the state premiers and their expert medical advice, as opposed to our federal politicians, I say!

Quite an incredible achievement, not just to the politicians, public health team & doctors on the front line. I think a special mention to those Victorians who abided by the lockdown laws enough to bring down the infection rate to zero.

Who else would be willing to go so hard to eliminate the virus? Can’t people in these countries where the virus is running rampant see that it is worth it?

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Who else would be willing to go so hard to eliminate the virus? Can’t people in these countries where the virus is running rampant see that it is worth it?

I would suggest that France, Spain and Italy went through measures tougher than Melbourne initially... For example in France you were not even allowed outside your home without a pass note. They have gone hard and the citizens have done amazing things, made sacrifices and suffered.

Australia’s situation like NZ is different. Mistakes have been made here and there were some consequences. Mistakes were made in Europe and there were massive consequences...this is partly (but not totally) the way the Euro population is distributed....We have been around the block before on how and why Europe is different.

I will save the backslapping and so on for either after another successful Autumn and winter here, or after a vaccine.

Edited by Smoggy
4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

They have gone hard and the citizens have done amazing things, made sacrifices and suffered.

Australia’s situation like NZ is different. Mistakes have been made here and there were some consequences. Mistakes were made in Europe and there were massive consequences

The issue was that after the hard lock down, they opened everything back up. Was too open & too quick. When numbers started to increase they didn’t react, it’s only now that hospitals have reached capacity & the death rate is starting to match that it’s forced them into action.

Known total deaths from Covid19 reached 1.25m today with the last 250k taking 43 days.  This is the fastest 250k since the start of the pandemic.  With deaths per day rising rapidly in the last few weeks there are projections that the death total by the end of this calendar year could be in the range of 1.7m to 2.3m.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/global?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

Been sitting in a queue at a drive thru testing clinic for 1 hour.

Only one more hour to go. :huh:

Thought it would be quicker to drive through than go to a clinic at the shops.

Think I was wrong.

Only got a sore throat...and would definitely have gone to work under normal circumstances.

Sigh.

4 hours ago, wendybr said:

Been sitting in a queue at a drive thru testing clinic for 1 hour.

Only one more hour to go. :huh:

Thought it would be quicker to drive through than go to a clinic at the shops.

Think I was wrong.

Only got a sore throat...and would definitely have gone to work under normal circumstances.

Sigh.

For future reference try Narellan its behind the Bunnings its usually pretty good for drive through COVID tests

31 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

For future reference try Narellan its behind the Bunnings its usually pretty good for drive through COVID tests

Ended up 2.5 hours. OK this morning....but in Summer, phwoar!

Around me there were people with kids, which can't have been fun.

And I felt sorry for the health staff...in their caps, PPE, latex gloves etc.

Will not be pleasant as the weather gets warmer.

Definition of a bad week. My 26 year old nephew in the UK has been diagnosed with Covid and also split with his girlfriend (who also has covid) just before that and had moved back in with my sister, brother in law and neice. They are all now isolating and all have it. It was my neices 21st birthday a few days ago, which she spent in bed ill....

The only good thing is they hadn't been anywhere near my old man...who really would be in trouble if he caught it...

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Definition of a bad week. My 26 year old nephew in the UK has been diagnosed with Covid and also split with his girlfriend (who also has covid) just before that and had moved back in with my sister, brother in law and neice. They are all now isolating and all have it. It was my neices 21st birthday a few days ago, which she spent in bed ill....

The only good thing is they hadn't been anywhere near my old man...who really would be in trouble if he caught it...

Oh dear!

They'll probably all recover well, but it's great to hear they've not been near your parents.

South Australia got infected as i understand from a Vic... and now Vic's are closing the broader to SA... 

Vic's infected NSW and last week suggested NSW systems may limit NSW people ... 

Vic's still not taking overseas people after they stopped some months ago...

I think maybe because of what happened to their numbers they are turning into another WA... 

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

South Australia got infected as i understand from a Vic... and now Vic's are closing the broader to SA... 

I think maybe because of what happened to their numbers they are turning into another WA... 

What is this broader you speak of? :P

6 hours ago, Midfielder said:

5 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

What is this broader you speak of? :P

My bad on the original post ... twas from a article on News and it totally miss presented what how the Vic gov is reacting to SA and it was a low level health person on the NSW position..

This is better news than Pfizer's vaccine. Storage at refrigerated temperatures for 1 month. Still a small sample but elderly patients were enrolled in their clinical study unlike Pfizer's.

And we can't make it here.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/moderna-covid-vaccine-candidate-almost-95-effective-trials-show?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

48 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

This is better news than Pfizer's vaccine. Storage at refrigerated temperatures for 1 month. Still a small sample but elderly patients were enrolled in their clinical study unlike Pfizer's.

And we can't make it here.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/moderna-covid-vaccine-candidate-almost-95-effective-trials-show?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Part of the "Warp Speed" operation so Trump's taking all the credit !!

Interesting article on children and Covid-19 infections. I think that the age of children is the key to immune responses

Murdoch Children's Research Institute studies family with coronavirus to find out why their children were immune http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-18/murdoch-research-children-and-covid-19-immunity/12890670

A plausible (medical) explanation for low rates of Covid-19 in children as well as sub-saharan Africa. This is not for anti-vaxxers as the presenter discuss the MMR II vaccine and why it may reduce severity or ensure people do not show signs of Covid-19 

Yeah I saw that they had some cases in the ground crew at Shanghai Pudong Airport so they locked it down, tested everyone (some people saying up to 100,000 people all up) and wouldn't let them out until the result came back negative.

Caught my eye as pre-covid I used to travel through that airport a couple of times a year for work.

13 hours ago, sonar said:

TLDR: The one dose pop had a 62% & the two dose pop was 90+%. Combined at 70+%

When you compare it to the pzifer vaccine, their entire pop involved two doses. So it is equally effective, the difference being that the pzifer vaccine requires storage at -70d whereas the oxford vaccine can be stored in a normal refrigerator. The other advantage, it’s cost is substantially lower than the pzifer alternative.

16 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

TLDR: The one dose pop had a 62% & the two dose pop was 90+%. Combined at 70+%

When you compare it to the pzifer vaccine, their entire pop involved two doses. So it is equally effective, the difference being that the pzifer vaccine requires storage at -70d whereas the oxford vaccine can be stored in a normal refrigerator. The other advantage, it’s cost is substantially lower than the pzifer alternative.

There seems to be doubt cast on the trials.

While everyone is hoping and praying that the vaccine(s) work ( I certainly do) I hope for everyone's sake that in the rush to get it out they get it right and none of them turn out to be another Thalidomide.

I'm not an antivaxer,in fact I'll happily take the vaccines if their efficacy can be proven. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry.