Armageddon Thread

Didn't this whole argument originally start with a discussion about how many returning travelers each state was willing to take?

"But back to the Vic's ... they should be able to take 3 k a week if NSW can take 4K per week ..."

Given that NSW has been complaining about taking the majority of returning Australians and that the other states should be taking a larger share, it appears that the states do have a say in who comes into their state. To say otherwise would be to claim that the states have zero say and that the federal Liberal government is choosing to force a state Liberal government take the extra load while letting the state Labor governments get away with taking a smaller share. Given their response to the NSW and SA Liberal governments actions vs their response to the actions of Vic and Qld Labor governments that seems unlikely.

25 minutes ago, Davo said:

Didn't this whole argument originally start with a discussion about how many returning travelers each state was willing to take?

Given that NSW has been complaining about taking the majority of returning Australians and that the other states should be taking a larger share, it appears that the states do have a say in who comes into their state. To say otherwise would be to claim that the states have zero say and that the federal Liberal government is choosing to force a state Liberal government take the extra load while letting the state Labor governments get away with taking a smaller share. Given their response to the NSW and SA Liberal governments actions vs their response to the actions of Vic and Qld Labor governments that seems unlikely.

Only after clearing customs.

My point is that blaming the states is wrong because they shouldn't have to decide in the first instance. Returning citizens are a C'wealth responsibility. They have the final say on when they can return to Aus. Unless you're a "special" case like a minister,rich or own a media empire ( a la Kerry Stokes ) you have little or no chance at the present....and that is wrong.

We have facilities to house people for 14 days or however long isolation is so we should be utilising them. It shouldn't rest solely with the states saying yay or nay. This is where the Feds are failing.

I would have the same opinion regardless who was in govt. Lib/Lab/Nat or Green

Edited by sonar
49 minutes ago, Davo said:

Thats right... its become about money ....

Only NSW and even then limited has worked hard at increasing there numbers... Vics are back on board and thats good ...

The conflict seems to be about funding and the number of officials involved in managing those returning...

The states don't want to spend revenue on increasing the number of hotels / motels that can be used nor allocate the personal required to manage any increase ... the Feds appear to want the states to pick up the tab for increasing weekly numbers...

I read a opinion piece the other day, suggesting ways of reducing the costs and it essentially involved doing rapid testing and questions, with the view of being able to release a number of people in a week ... and hold others for two weeks... however it could be impossible to sell to the general public given the two large outbreaks have been with broader break downs, first in NSW and then VIC... 

3 hours ago, Davo said:

This seeming level of state power is because the National Cabinet decided on a combined and collaborative approach where the number of arrivals are decided jointly between the Federal and State Governments:

This means, the number of arrivals at each international airport will be subject to caps agreed upon between federal and all state and territory governments. 

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/information-overseas-travellers-coronavirus-disease-covid-19#who-can-enter-australia-from-overseas

Total Covid19 deaths reached 1.5m today with the last 250k deaths taking only 26 days.  This is 16 days quicker than the previous quickest.  The acceleration is frightening across the northern hemisphere with the USA passing its previous highest first wave daily death total today and deaths across the whole word exceeding 12k today.  I was reading in the NYT the other day that there are predictions that total deaths in the USA might double by the end of winter.  I trust that this doesn't eventuate

Edited by Flytox
56 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Total Covid19 deaths reached 1.5m today with the last 250k deaths taking only 26 days.  This is 16 days quicker than the previous quickest.  The acceleration is frightening across the northern hemisphere with the USA passing its previous highest first wave daily death total today and deaths across the whole word exceeding 12k today.  I was reading in the NYT the other day that there are predictions that total deaths in the USA might double by the end of winter.  I trust that this doesn't eventuate

Hopefully the predictions are wrong. But when about a third of the US population are Trump MAGAs what other result would you expect. 

Look up the YouTube clips from Dr John Campbell for a non-partisan view of Covid-19.

But thanks for the frightening stats.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:21 AM, Paul01 said:

Vaccine update 

UK medical regulator investigating adverse reactions to coronavirus vaccine http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/uk-regulator-investigating-reactions-to-covid-19-vaccine/12968604

I think there were a couple of allergic reactions out of however many given....you would expect this.

What is more worrying is news of a new variant of covid virus circulating. Too early to know what this means.

Germany has gone in to full lock down..they are doing badly at the moment. USA remains the usual mess. Good news from the north of England (Lancashire and Yorkshire) with cases declining. They have done some amazing work when the size and spread of cities is considered. Bad news from London and the South East..they are heading the same way as Germany.

2021 is on a knife edge. Will the vaccines work well for a good amount of time. Will someone who has been vaccinated still be able to spread. What does it all mean for international travel and Australia will have to be on guard again as we tick around to Autumn.

Edited by Smoggy
45 minutes ago, marron said:

So the gov is requesting everyone on the Northern Beaches to stay home now they've found more cases.

Not really any need for that I would have thought. Those ****s never cross the spit bridge anyway.

Up to 17 cases now. 

Age care homes locked down...

Oh dear.

Edited by Smoggy

I've just booked ( a week ago) and paid a shite load of money for the only house I could find on the south coast for a holiday in January.

I get the chance for 1 holiday a year. This is going to be it. Enjoying some quality time with the kids and some of their friends. White sands, gorgeous beaches and kicking back reading a book or two. BBQ's, a few beers and wines at night with friends who own property and also stay locally.

I'll be furious if some Northern Beaches ignorant ****s have thrown this state back into some sort of lockdown.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could always leave the smog ridden heartless, soulless, western Sydney for the delights of the clean air, clean water, sandy beaches and other water ways, of the Central Coast..... follow a decent Football side [currently with a **** owner] ... the yellow of the sand and the blue of the water... 

This is Woy Woy ... and only a little way down the rod to smogville ..

enjoy... 

6 hours ago, Midfielder said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could always leave the smog ridden heartless, soulless, western Sydney for the delights of the clean air, clean water, sandy beaches and other water ways, of the Central Coast..... follow a decent Football side [currently with a **** owner] ... the yellow of the sand and the blue of the water... 

enjoy... 

Nowt wrong with a bit of smog like....

7 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I've just booked ( a week ago) and paid a shite load of money for the only house I could find on the south coast for a holiday in January.

I get the chance for 1 holiday a year. This is going to be it. Enjoying some quality time with the kids and some of their friends. White sands, gorgeous beaches and kicking back reading a book or two. BBQ's, a few beers and wines at night with friends who own property and also stay locally.

I'll be furious if some Northern Beaches ignorant ****s have thrown this state back into some sort of lockdown.

warning..stereotype alert..

We all know the type it will be. Stripy t shirt / jumper over the shoulders tosser who's natural habitat is hanging out in expensive cafes chatting about their property in Tuscany...they have bought shares in to in Italian vineyard blah blah..

Only this time they got caught overseas and couldn't bare the idea of a cold lock down xmas. So they manage to get a flight back..and of course the rules don't apply to them....

So they go for a chicken parma and chips at the Avalon RSL....hmmm ok maybe that last bit doesn't fit the stereotype, but I won't be far off.

10 hours ago, Midfielder said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

enjoy... 

Like I said last time middy, the video misses a trick in not showing off the flat humid network of lanes patterned with fibro shacks and roaming gangs of diabetic children tormenting rabid dogs under the shoes hanging from powerlines on every second corner. Still, it does manage to capture it a bit, I think I can see the broken glass glinting on the sand there, and it does capture that 2-stroke sheen on the warm water.

Heading up in a few weeks to the in-laws, should be good. ;)

37 minutes ago, sonar said:

Now 28 new cases in northern beaches.........I can feel a lockdown coming on......:ninja:.

Difficult to say if we will head to a lockdown type thing. Really the number of cases we are seeing now is not that different to what has been bubbling away for the last few months. Every few months we get an ABC or SMH article saying the numbers here are much higher than advertised.  This time they can't fiddle the numbers because they are freaking out about xmas coming and everyone getting together. 

I think this will be gotten on top of quickly and is a reminder to do the right thing over the holiday season.

Edited by Smoggy
3 hours ago, marron said:

Like I said last time middy, the video misses a trick in not showing off the flat humid network of lanes patterned with fibro shacks and roaming gangs of diabetic children tormenting rabid dogs under the shoes hanging from powerlines on every second corner. Still, it does manage to capture it a bit, I think I can see the broken glass glinting on the sand there, and it does capture that 2-stroke sheen on the warm water.

Heading up in a few weeks to the in-laws, should be good. ;)

Enjoy... this is quite funny....Tis a "Central Coast State of Mind""' BTW made by Mariners fans...