Armageddon Thread

6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Father in law had his last night went well apparently, which is good, my wifes fear is is anything happening to him and her not being able to get over

Yeah, that has been my fear nearly a year for my mum and dad now, the worry gets tiring. I don't think there has been a day since last March I haven't thought about them and prayed that covid has kept away from them.

Them getting the vaccine will be great for them first and foremost, but will be like a vaccine from worry for me too :D

Edited by Smoggy
16 hours ago, pseudonym said:

As so many people have gone through sickness during this Covid time, I felt it was important not to "gloat" over how working from home has helped me.

Little health outcomes like:

Snacking less

Being able to book GP visits (for my script) at more convenient times

Making time for dental check ups

Going for walks before and after work

Making healthier lunches (mainly sandwiches with salad in them)

I will certainly be pushing for working some days at home after Covid.

The mental health benefits as well. I'm 3 days in the office the rest WFH. That little break from physically having to be in the office is amazing

8 minutes ago, EmMac said:

The mental health benefits as well. I'm 3 days in the office the rest WFH. That little break from physically having to be in the office is amazing

That's been a bit more complicated for me..WFH hasn't work as well for me unfortunately and not had the benefits some have had.

26 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

While it is important to look at how successful countries dealt with the virus, it is a concern in some ways to see league tables and who beat who, or who is 'eighth best', its not a Olympics medal chart. I see this as a small part of the rising vaccine nationalism that is starting to play out, here we see the worst and most selfish of human nature.

It is getting dirty and nasty in the EU for example, mainly over the AstraZenica vaccine production plants in Belgium not being up to the job of meeting the EU contract, and the main plant in the UK perhaps not filling the shortfall. I note Germany released a statement to say that there is no proof of efficacy in over 65 with AstraZenica, feeling is this was retaliation of some form based on what is happening in the background, It is true that data for over 65 is limited, but Germany was onboard fully previously and can only think the politics of the vaccine brought this out, news like this concerns real people...like my parents for example.

In breaking news the EU has just invoked article 16 to basically put in place movement of goods between Ireland and Northern Ireland, so basically in to the UK. This is so the EU can control the movement of vaccines and basically creates the Irish hard border that all sides so wanted to avoid. Arlene Foster the leader of NI has describe this as 'a remarkable act of hostility'.

While this argument might be born in part out of Brexit, it is about vaccine desperation, stockpiling and nationalism. As we move forward through 2021 we need to be as a world together and ******* kind to each other! This isn't a time for winners and losers, more will die unnecessarily if it is.

Unfortunately I have no faith in humanity to get this right.

Your right of course on league tables. I was more pointing out that our hollow Prime Minister who hates being beaten by anyone from the left will be most unhappy. Look at how he criticized all the Labor Premiers and supported our rightwing rat bag and corrupt Premier. 

On the EU invoking Article 16, they must have felt that their Block is not getting an adequate supply and thought that most of the Pfizer/Biotech vaccine manufactured in Belgium is going to the UK. How the vaccine is to distributed fairly is nigh on impossible.

10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

On the EU invoking Article 16, they must have felt that their Block is not getting an adequate supply and thought that most of the Pfizer/Biotech vaccine manufactured in Belgium is going to the UK. How the vaccine is to distributed fairly is nigh on impossible.

Nope......the Belgium plant is basically shyte and cannot fullfil the EU part of the bargain..the plant in the UK is better however....The article 16 is in retaliation for more vaccines not coming from the UK in to the EU.

It is petty on both sides

League tables are league tables and will be interpreted for all purposes. Good and bad...in these situations mainly bad.

Edited by Smoggy
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Nope......the Belgium plant is basically shyte and cannot fullfil the EU part of the bargain..the plant in the UK is better however....The article 16 is in retaliation for more vaccines not coming from the UK in to the EU.

It is petty on both sides.

League tables are league tables and will be interpreted for all purposes. Good and bad...in these situations mainly bad.

From what I thought,  Pfizer doesn't make vaccines in the UK.

However, as I understand Astra-Zeneca do plus Boris paid for the AZ research, development and manufacturing.

The problem is going to be worldwide, limited supply for the world's people.

13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

That's been a bit more complicated for me..WFH hasn't work as well for me unfortunately and not had the benefits some have had.

I hated it!

:pardon:

WHO criticises the EU over vaccine nationalism and back tracks on the article 16 'fiasco' as it is being called. Insiders in the EU commission using the words 'mismanagement', 'misjudgement', and 'blunder' to describe according to insiders at the BBC.

Its is telling that both Dublin and Belfast were against the EU.

It been a terrible week for the EU..o dear..Ursula von der Layen possibly under pressure to resign..

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

WHO criticises the EU over vaccine nationalism and back tracks on the article 16 'fiasco' as it is being called. Insiders in the EU commission using the words 'mismanagement', 'misjudgement', and 'blunder' to describe according to insiders at the BBC.

Its is telling that both Dublin and Belfast were against the EU.

It been a terrible week for the EU..o dear..Ursula von der Layen possibly under pressure to resign..

UK Gov policy threatens Irish Peace Process agreement for 5 yrs (Article 16)

E U Commission Policy threatens Irish P P Agreement for 5 hrs.

Guess who Brexiters think is worse?

13 minutes ago, Ossified said:

True...very true lol

EU did **** up by at least not contacting Dublin first though...its own ******* member. Irish mightily pissed off.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Ossified said:

Mind..the EU have been lecturing about respecting Irish protocol and avoiding a hard border for 5 years...and at the first opportunity they pulled the trigger that created a hard border, and without consulting Dublin lol

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Mind..the EU have been lecturing about respecting Irish protocol and avoiding a hard border for 5 years...and at the first opportunity they pulled the trigger that created a hard border, and without consulting Dublin lol

Yes, twas dumb. Dublin rang Barnier as soon as this got out and told him to fix it which he did.

Meanwhile the Lads in Monaghan and South Armagh (bandit country) were rubbing their hands with the prospect of huge smuggling profits/dollars from driving truckloads of Vaccines via the many backroads over the Border.

11 hours ago, Ossified said:

Yes, twas dumb. Dublin rang Barnier as soon as this got out and told him to fix it which he did.

Meanwhile the Lads in Monaghan and South Armagh (bandit country) were rubbing their hands with the prospect of huge smuggling profits/dollars from driving truckloads of Vaccines via the many backroads over the Border.

Problem is article 16 was a hard negotiation and a compromise on both sides, it was seen as a hard won 'nuclear' option, break the glass and use only after all other negotiations have failed...

The EU's recklessness has created a precident i fear.

Edited by Smoggy

A Dr from Brown university in the US and a world expert on how to control cov made an interesting statement the other  day...

He said all the vaccines should be held in storage until we have enough to vaccinate the world... he said the danger of doing it country by country with poor countries missing out is the virus will change and then possibility like the flu have a new strain...

He said we need to vaccinate the world over a six month period otherwise it will never go away... meaning holding off until we can do the entire world...

Edited by Midfielder
On 29/01/2021 at 8:43 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

Out of curiosity has anyone's workplace suggested they would now accommodate work from home post COVID? If there is anything positive about this is that we have the option to work from home.

Yes, ours has basically said that it's completely up to us how we want to work, and to basically have a conversation with your manager to ensure that whatever choice you make works for the business and your role. It's also expected that if there a reason you need to be in the office on a particular day (i.e training, events etc.), you make yourself available unless you absolutely can't. We've cut back our office space by 50% and moved a lot of stuff into multiple storage lockers around the State for our regional staff to access. Has saved us a ton of money. Our office is now more like a hot-desk situation and we just have to book our office days if required to ensure we don't go over our max number. 

WFH isn't for everyone. There are half a dozen people who come into the office for a couple of days per week as they can get a break from the kids or they enjoy the social aspect. I've gone in half a dozen days since the start of the year for various reasons. I'm the same as @pseudonym, I've saved so much money and have a lot more time for things like walks or health appointments.

I also don't have to feel bad about not giving 100% on the odd occasion where it's not a great day. Today I've woken up feeling really fatigued, hazy and just overall unwell. I know the reason why, but if I was at the office, I would have probably called in sick to avoid the travel and shitty small talk. But at least working from home, I can go at my own pace, sit on my couch or lay in bed and take breaks if need be. I'm probably going to take a 30min nap during my break today as well. I'm still working and outputting, but I wouldn't have been if I was forced to come in the office. In fact, our sick leave rate has gone down quite a bit over the past year. Nobody is having to call-out over small things anymore and people need less mental health days.

If you can achieve your outcomes at home, there should be no issue with you doing it. But employees need to work with businesses as well if there are legitimate reasons why people need to be in the office. Hopefully it means public transport and the roads are less packed for people that actually need to travel and work on site (tradies, teachers etc.)

The sick leave thing is interesting. A few months back I took a covid test. I was sure I didn't have it but a couple of the symptoms were on the list for when you should get a test so thought I'd do the right thing. If I was working from the office I'd have to take sick leave until I got my test result back. Working from home I could just stay home and continue working as normal until I got the all clear, without using up any sick leave.

I haven't had a cold since working from home (another benefit, harder to catch and spread all of the other non-covid illnesses) but if I did I'd probably be able to work through it from home with no problems. I could always take sick leave if I felt too unwell to get work done but my sick leave is tied to whether I can do the job, not whether I'm a biohazard. If I was in the office I'd have to take a sick day so I didn't give it to everyone else, even if I was well enough to work.

it is interesting; I can't help but think that average entitlements for sick leave go down as a result, which, well, yeah, not sure that's a good thing.

not that my job will go to working from home but most sick days I take are not for me for one thing, it's looking after sick kids or taking them to appointments cos my mrs doesn't get many entitlements so it makes more sense for me to use mine. 

Ever since schools gone back, the roads have been crazy in the West and South West.

My trip to work is taking about 15-20mins extra easy now. 

Would say its back to pre-pandemic, if not worse.

17 hours ago, marron said:

it is interesting; I can't help but think that average entitlements for sick leave go down as a result, which, well, yeah, not sure that's a good thing.

not that my job will go to working from home but most sick days I take are not for me for one thing, it's looking after sick kids or taking them to appointments cos my mrs doesn't get many entitlements so it makes more sense for me to use mine. 

I don't think they will. I'll be honest, pre-pandemic I wasn't afraid of taking a sick day if I woke up and just couldn't be bothered adulting that day. I didn't do it a lot, but maybe 2 or 3 a year. 

But there are genuine reasons why I took days and physically couldn't work. I get migraines which keep me in bed for the entire day, lady issues are guaranteed to knock me around at least once or twice a year and I almost always get a bad cold/flu in winter. All of these require me to take the day off because I can't physically function. There will always be issues that require personal leave. I think people also used to struggle by coming back a day or two earlier from their illness than they had to because they had to be "seen" in the office. There's not that pressure anymore and I don't think it's seen as a bad thing anymore to maybe take that extra day to ensure you're 100%. There will always be people with chronic conditions too.

I think the fact it's changed to "personal" leave will ensure that it won't be cut back. There's always a significant amount of the adult population with caring responsibilities. In my workplace, we have a young team with only one or two F/T people actually having young kids. We also have a large amount of P/T staff and staff that work outside 9-5. These guys already have flexibility with caring arrangements. Where I saw a difference in leave taking was with the young staff with no caring responsibilities. Those that did have kids still took days off when required. 

I think when it comes to anything related to Medicare, IR/Workplace Rights or childcare/education, people will fight tooth and nail for those entitlements. It would be career-killing move to try and change any fundamental aspects of these issues.  

To be honest..after zooming the old folks earlier this week I think my mum needs my dad to have the injection more for her than him lol

She said she was 'ready to hit him on the head with a frying pan last week, well he gets on your bloody nerves'...was her statement. After months of lock down together I am concerned that only 1 will emerge! Its been hard for my mum though, especially over winter when escaping to the garden isn't so good. 

She would go out to her women's groups usually and send the old man out for the day to get out from under her feet lol

Married a long time and the love is still there but I can see my mum is edging towards the whack him round the head stage :D

I am a swinging voter I guess centre right ....

I don't hold any party loyalty nor well only on rare occasions... think the person in charge is very special...

I do love it when our honest pollies do a foot in mouth...

Can't help but smile, not at those who caught cov 19, but Dan the Man coming out after all the trouble they had with the hotels... and saying we will only take as if only take is something to be proud of one third of overseas people that NSW does BEACUSE WE HAVE THE BEST YES THE BEST PREVENTION SYSTEMS... the entire country should follow our lead .... we have the best by far .... four days latter and starting the day after the grand announcement they have 11 local cases....

Aside from being proud to budge of NSW, then claiming something he may have done while ignoring he did not follow what other states a way back... but to claim we are the GOAT state and then for the out break to happen ...

Go Dan...

I really admire Daniel Andrews. It is frustrating, infuriating and sickening that staff in these facilities flout the biosecurity guidelines.

Do they have a shred of conscience, when their negligence, carelessness and selfishness cause another outbreak that potentially impacts millions of people?? :xmad:

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I really admire Daniel Andrews. It is frustrating, infuriating and sickening that staff in these facilities flout the biosecurity guidelines.

Do they have a shred of conscience, when their negligence, carelessness and selfishness cause another outbreak that potentially impacts millions of people?? :xmad:

Yep.

I've said all along biosecurity and quarantine are federal responsibilities and the feds should be the ones doing the hard yards....not the states. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would of thought that this may of needed a bit more thought and planning.............:ninja:

On 03/02/2021 at 11:29 AM, marron said:

Well, I mean, one party is fairly hell bent on removing worker entitlements wherever possible, so, not sure about the tooth and nail, we'll see haha.

The party that people keep voting in, I’m not seeing much fighting tooth and nail.. 

besides it’s largely happened already at the lower paid end of the economy.

I don’t see Uber eats, menulog delivery riders getting sick pay