Jump to content

Armageddon Thread


Recommended Posts

https://theconversation.com/more-than-a-dozen-covid-leaks-in-6-months-to-protect-australians-its-time-to-move-quarantine-out-of-city-hotels-159808

Supervised quarantine was mandated by the federal government on March 28 last year. State and territory governments were given mere days to set up hotel quarantine systems.

Judge Jennifer Coate cited this short notice as one of the factors that led to the failure of the system in Victoria in the hotel quarantine inquiry report.

But we’ve had time now to get it right — and we still haven’t. Importantly, despite having been mandated by the federal government, there’s no national standard for how quarantine is implemented.

Link to post

1000000000000% agree we need to create new quarantine facilities... 

The stand out issue is where IMO... none of our major cities have space anywhere near airports and transporting people from airports to the QS is highly risky from what I have read.

The issue then becomes where to we have facilities close to operational airports and readily available supplies to run such a facility.

The two I have read and both need to be hugely expanded is Howard Springs in the NT  & Christmas Island off the WA coast... there could also be some mining camps but do the mining camps have the readily available supplies. There is also that Island just off Perth [tourist island forget its name] that has been talked about ...

The Indian position will push this to the front of the Cov debate IMO... Howard Springs if expanded to take say 15K people IMO is the logical position to take...  

 

Link to post
36 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

1000000000000% agree we need to create new quarantine facilities... 

The stand out issue is where IMO... none of our major cities have space anywhere near airports and transporting people from airports to the QS is highly risky from what I have read.

The issue then becomes where to we have facilities close to operational airports and readily available supplies to run such a facility.

The two I have read and both need to be hugely expanded is Howard Springs in the NT  & Christmas Island off the WA coast... there could also be some mining camps but do the mining camps have the readily available supplies. There is also that Island just off Perth [tourist island forget its name] that has been talked about ...

The Indian position will push this to the front of the Cov debate IMO... Howard Springs if expanded to take say 15K people IMO is the logical position to take...  

 

The more interesting thing is Dutton's comments surrounding Christmas island almost suggesting the facilities themselves are sub par at best. Opens a can of worms in terms of the controversial migration policy we currently have

From ABC https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/covid-hotel-quarantine-fix-obvious-wa-premier-mark-mcgowan-says/100102764

Facilities not fit for purpose: Dutton

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has already flatly rejected Mr McGowan's request to use federal facilities.

"I'd love to tell you that air bases or the Christmas Island facility are fit for purpose but it is not," Mr Dutton told the ABC's Insiders program on Sunday.

 

"There is not the segregation of facilities such as the mess and where people need to come together in blocks for, you know, showers or toilets or whatever it might be.

"If you are talking about tented facilities, which you would need, our air bases don't hold thousands of people."

As the standoff with the Commonwealth continues, the WA government is preparing to phase out the three most high-risk hotels from quarantine use, including the Mercure Hotel where the latest outbreak originated.

Link to post

^^^

Sith...maybe so but should they be upgraded... 

There is a very real risk in transporting people from capital city airports to QS if they travel a fair distance... unless you convert large public parks ... say Centennial Park is close to Sydney airport  .... erect massive tent QS .... would work but can't imagine it happening ... 

More over Howard Springs  seems a good solution ... and all inbound flights to HS.... increase in size to ??????? guessing 12 to 15K ... 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

^^^

Sith...maybe so but should they be upgraded... 

There is a very real risk in transporting people from capital city airports to QS if they travel a fair distance... unless you convert large public parks ... say Centennial Park is close to Sydney airport  .... erect massive tent QS .... would work but can't imagine it happening ... 

More over Howard Springs  seems a good solution ... and all inbound flights to HS.... increase in size to ??????? guessing 12 to 15K ... 

Sorry I missed that about Howard Springs in the NT.

You're right it would actually be a lot better to upgrade that facility in general. Quarantining at the NT facilities have been generally better than what the states have been able to work with.

Link to post
35 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

The more interesting thing is Dutton's comments surrounding Christmas island almost suggesting the facilities themselves are sub par at best. Opens a can of worms in terms of the controversial migration policy we currently have

From ABC https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/covid-hotel-quarantine-fix-obvious-wa-premier-mark-mcgowan-says/100102764

Facilities not fit for purpose: Dutton

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has already flatly rejected Mr McGowan's request to use federal facilities.

"I'd love to tell you that air bases or the Christmas Island facility are fit for purpose but it is not," Mr Dutton told the ABC's Insiders program on Sunday.

 

"There is not the segregation of facilities such as the mess and where people need to come together in blocks for, you know, showers or toilets or whatever it might be.

"If you are talking about tented facilities, which you would need, our air bases don't hold thousands of people."

As the standoff with the Commonwealth continues, the WA government is preparing to phase out the three most high-risk hotels from quarantine use, including the Mercure Hotel where the latest outbreak originated.

As much as I'm not a fan of the migration policy there's a difference between fit for the purpose of housing migrants/asylum seekers/refugees and fit for the purpose of quarantine facility. If they don't have segregated bathrooms or meal spaces then regardless of how good or bad those amenities are they'll mean that one infected traveler will spread it to everyone else there. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult or inefficient to modify the facility for that purpose.

Link to post

One thing not to lose sight of is that in a remote quarantine station how they are going to staff this facility and also house said staff? I guess that security guards are a dime a dozen but taking a large number of medical staff out of the existing system could be much more problematical.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Davo said:

As much as I'm not a fan of the migration policy there's a difference between fit for the purpose of housing migrants/asylum seekers/refugees and fit for the purpose of quarantine facility. If they don't have segregated bathrooms or meal spaces then regardless of how good or bad those amenities are they'll mean that one infected traveler will spread it to everyone else there. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult or inefficient to modify the facility for that purpose.

This.

But let’s not muck about. 

The conditions are not the best and that’s how they should be. It’s not meant to be club med. 

Controversial. Hardly. 

Link to post

With the 10's of millions of dollars they've had spent on them you'd think there would at least be some 'family sized' units.. cells that have built in bathroom areas. Because the kitchens in hotels aren't in the rooms either.

Of course, this also doesn't take into account the entire issue here which is that Quarantine is a federal issue that the LNP have had a year and a half to prepare for. The RAAF base in Darwin for example, has prepared empty space that in this time, could have had several hundred small self-contained units built by now. The Airforce base in Ipswich in QLD has open space all around it. Morrison just doesn't want to get involved even though it's his job because he doesn't want to take the hits when quarantine fails for whatever reason, just like the LNP washed their hands of the Ruby Princess debacle.

The problem isn't that there's no solution, it's that the people in charge don't want to do their job.

Link to post
10 minutes ago, mack said:

Morrison just doesn't want to get involved even though it's his job because he doesn't want to take the hits when quarantine fails for whatever reason, just like the LNP washed their hands of the Ruby Princess debacle.

The problem isn't that there's no solution, it's that the people in charge don't want to do their job.

......... this. 

 

Link to post

There's no doubt that the Morrison government has stuffed up quarantine for overseas arrivals and also the 'jail or big fine' messaging but there was a story on ABC this morning that 'got my goat'. It was about a Melbourne woman and her daughter who had been stuck in India since March 2020 complaining about the situation and that she "didn't feel like an Australian". Turns out she wasn't even a citizen and just a permanent resident !!

Now as a Pom who left getting my citizenship for a number of years I was fully aware that there was always the remote possibility of being disallowed re-entry on a resident visa so I really do think that some people complaineth too much

Probably get myself in hot water now...... 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

 It was about a Melbourne woman and her daughter who had been stuck in India since March 2020 complaining about the situation and that she "didn't feel like an Australian". Turns out she wasn't even a citizen and just a permanent resident !!

 

That Aussie journalism quality

Link to post

MT

Sadly true and maybe its the way of the world today but hhhhmmmmm rrr gggrrrr IMO less than a handful of journalist today don't write articles or broadcast stories, that don't have an inherent bias ...

Short media grabs and gotta questions seem to be the go... as for reasoned debate and research ... well it does not happen that much...

Often its the workload, often its what the editor wants covered and how they wanta present...

An equally bigger story is what is not reported and as Football fans its easy to relate to as they only mainstream media we have received recently is when some fans at the Rockdale & Sydney United had a fight after the match and more recently when some WSW fans left off a flare .... the stories of the number of Africans kids making the grade and committing to Australia and being role models ... well I have never seen it discussed or maybe I missed it ...but the AFL has one player and its discussed almost weekly...  

Its not only News, take the ABC, and staying on sport, they hold and help the rights for the W-League broadcasts, yet with the AFL set up a women's team, twas non stop coverage that has not stopped.

But away from sport as I was only using sport, to explain that non reporting is equally a major issue...

This is not an excuse for the Libs,  Australia is not the only country that has banned flights from India... 

That we have not developed a major quarantine facility IMO is a major major major miss-calculation  as it has been beyond obvious somewhere this was going to happen... and Howard Springs in the NT seems to tick all the required boxes .... Ellis Island in New York  and Sydneys North Head are prefect examples of what governments did in the past... 

 

Link to post

I have to say, hats off to the guy for actually using the QR codes to sign in when he went to all these places as it's made it a lot easier to track down his movements.

Here's the list of the places he went to in case you wanted to know:

  • Distric Brasserie, Sydney 30/4/21 11am-11.45am
  • HineSight Optometrist, Sofitel Sydney Wentworth 30/4/21 12pm-1pm
  • Barbetta, Paddington 30/4/21 1.30pm-2.30pm
  • Event Cinemas at Bondi Junction Westfield 30/4/21 6pm-8pm
  • Figo Restaurant, Rushcutters Bay 30/4/21 8.45pm-11pm
  • Joe's Barbeques & Heating, Silverwater 1/5/21 1pm –1.45pm
  • Tucker Barbecues, Silverwater 1/5/21 1pm-1.45pm
  • Barbeques Galore, Annandale 1/5/21 2pm-3pm
  • Barbeques Galore, Casula 1/5/21 4pm-5pm
  • BP 1077 Botany Road, Mascot 1/5/21 4.30pm-5pm
  • The Meat Store, Bondi Junction 2/5/21 3pm-4pm
Edited by MathyouWSW
Link to post
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Is he doing deliveries, I wonder?

Who goes to 4-5 BBQ Galore shops to buy sonething??

Not that it actually matters. :unknw:

As a fellow barbecuer if he was looking for a specific tool/item it is quite feasible you could go to a number of places to find it. Didn't get it in Silverwater (those stores are adjacent to each other), tried Annandale on the way back and failing that had to detour to Casula.

Barbecue is a very serious business ;)

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Carns said:

As a fellow barbecuer if he was looking for a specific tool/item it is quite feasible you could go to a number of places to find it. Didn't get it in Silverwater (those stores are adjacent to each other), tried Annandale on the way back and failing that had to detour to Casula.

Barbecue is a very serious business ;)

You do the smoking and all that stuff?

Link to post

So the contact tracers will have something to do again....sadly.

Sighhhh!

PS who are these people (contact tracers) and, what do they do when we aren't in the middle of a pandemic?

Anyone know?

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...