mack

The A-League Is Shut Down

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/22/no-end-to-footballs-inner-turmoil-despite-ffas-broadcast-deal

Good article on football starting back up.

Good point on moving to winter season, those that complain we will compete for Media against NRL and AFL, we don't get any anyway so it can hardly be worse

The only concern/thought I have with Winter competition is whether (and how) those who play football on Saturday/Sunday arvo's will get to games.  If we have afternoon games, then there could be overlap...  What do others think?  Is this a potential issue?

1 hour ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

The only concern/thought I have with Winter competition is whether (and how) those who play football on Saturday/Sunday arvo's will get to games.  If we have afternoon games, then there could be overlap...  What do others think?  Is this a potential issue?

It seemed to be a bit of an issue towards the end of WSW seasons when grass roots football started up. The flip side to this would be people who couldn't make games in Summer due to holidays/religious events etc. The fixtures will never be perfect for every club and every fan. I do think there would be some genuine concern regarding it, but it's difficult to make a draw that works for everyone equally. I think all that can be done is FFA and clubs are aware of the issue and try to "spread the pain" evenly amongst all the fixtures. Bigger draw card games will always be at night, but it will be a dilemma.

3 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

2 hours ago, Carns said:

It seemed to be a bit of an issue towards the end of WSW seasons when grass roots football started up. The flip side to this would be people who couldn't make games in Summer due to holidays/religious events etc. The fixtures will never be perfect for every club and every fan. I do think there would be some genuine concern regarding it, but it's difficult to make a draw that works for everyone equally. I think all that can be done is FFA and clubs are aware of the issue and try to "spread the pain" evenly amongst all the fixtures. Bigger draw card games will always be at night, but it will be a dilemma.

I see an opportunity to make good use of a strategy mentioned more than once. 

When we play in summer the local association football clubs are mostly in hibernation. As a result, any attempt to issue free tickets to juniors via their club or association becomes at best less effective.

With the seasons in sync, this could/should be used to good effect. 

It’s only for next season that it will be more winter based. Also hearing that things are looking pretty good for life beyond Fox the year after, it will be the next 12 months that will be a bit of a slog 

I find it rather amusing that a season starting in December is seen as a 'Winter Comp'. It was pointed out to me on another forum that the finals will be in Winter (June/July) but fook me, the bulk of the games leading up to the finals will still be played in the warmer months !!

From what I’ve heard/been told, things are are and will continue to be pretty ordinary til about September in A-League land. Clubs struggling to keep/get their foreigners back. Much more hopeful for next season and beyond however 

With the mini outbreak happening in Melbourne, whats going to happen with the 3 Vic teams?

My understanding was that the teams were already meant to be located within a hub, and that hub was most likely going to be in Sydney. To my knowledge the details of the proposal have not been announced yet.

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

My understanding was that the teams were already meant to be located within a hub, and that hub was most likely going to be in Sydney. To my knowledge the details of the proposal have not been announced yet.

FFA wanted to play the opening game to restart as the R28 game between Melb Victory and the Fraudsters at AAMI Park.

Heartle$$ were meant to play all games in Victoria. R25 v Adelaide; R27 v Fraudsters; R29 v Smurfs

8 hours ago, SBW said:

With the mini outbreak happening in Melbourne, whats going to happen with the 3 Vic teams?

The two games left between the Vic teams are still set to be played at AAMI Park, one in Brisbane (Roar vs Adelaide iirc) and then everyone's coming to Sydney.

1 hour ago, mack said:

The two games left between the Vic teams are still set to be played at AAMI Park, one in Brisbane (Roar vs Adelaide iirc) and then everyone's coming to Sydney.

Mack

I know the r28 game was meant to be played at AAMI Park. But where are you getting information on the other games?

Beware, the Queensland government have now introduced a 14 day quarantine for all teams playing in Victoria or against Victorian teams.

1 hour ago, mack said:

I’m not so sure that this will happen now, but I’m unsure how the logistics will play out. Move the game to Sydney?

A-League Hub (@AleagueHub) Tweeted:
Greg O’Rourke has confirmed that all A-League games that were meant to be played in Victoria have now been moved to NSW, bar Melbourne Victory v Western United on July 16, and United v Melbourne City on July 20, which will go ahead as planned. [Age]

https://t.co/JkmunPhzUg https://twitter.com/AleagueHub/status/1277513368899706882?s=20