Are you downloading the Covidsafe app?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be downloading the Covidsafe app?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Ok you have convinced me that the big American guys are the only ones that can do the job. 

Excellent. 

For that reason, still not downloading it.

But I promise to use social distancing and hygiene and WFH practices and if I test positive I promise to tell the Health department everyone I’ve been in significant contact with because at this stage the list is small. Can I have pass please? :)

Surely Russia and China could each manage it too!

10 hours ago, HollowedHeart said:

honestly i am not concerned about how they use the app during the outbreak, more concerned about what they do with it after its over

As far as I am aware, 21 days after the app is downloaded and operating, day one is deleted, and then day two the next day, and so on.

All they'll find on my Corona app for 21 days is....

Week 1 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

Week 2 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

Week 3 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

If Amazon want to hack my Corona App than they are more than welcome to. :)

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

As far as I am aware, 21 days after the app is downloaded and operating, day one is deleted, and then day two the next day, and so on.

Week 1 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

Week 2 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

Week 3 - Home/Woolies/home, then home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home/work/home, home.

lol honestly similar for me its not like i go anywhere or do anything :P for me its more about morrison is a wannabe dictator so the less information he has the better even if its just pointless information that doesnt matter

20 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

:good: Exactly what mine would look like soonish.

For the past five weeks, it's been more like 

Week 1 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 2 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 3 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 4 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 5 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

I've been a bit more daring and mixed it up, Woolies one weekend, Coles the next, looking forward to aldi this weekend :)

3 hours ago, Cynth said:

Ok you have convinced me that the big American guys are the only ones that can do the job. 

Excellent. 

But I promise to use social distancing and hygiene and WFH practices and if I test positive I promise to tell the Health department everyone I’ve been in significant contact with because at this stage the list is small. Can I have pass please? :)

For every person its a personal call.

As I posted above to some extent it depends how much skin you have in the game.

To explain, my families positions.

Wife School Teacher ... Epping Boys

Oldest Son... Manager of a large Woolies in Eastern Sydney .

Oldest's Son's wife... Nurse in Eastern Sydney

Middle son ... Works in a abattoir it runs 24 hours a day 362 days a year.

Middle Sons Wife ... Is a senior pathologist in a major hospital

Third Son single... Works as a "White Knight " in IT i.e internet security working from home in a very secure job.

A close mate ...   inner city bus driver ...

Aside from my third son every other member of my family is in front line services and with a far higher risk of catching Cov 19.

Given tracing is critical and life saving and my "White Knight" son has told me its quite safe and it only records phone numbers not where you are or what time of day.

I contrast my position to my next door neighbour...  he is a web designer and often works from home his wife is a marketing executive and can work from home, there children are still of school age ... 

In my position I think we need to protect front line workers and have 5 out of 6 family members in front line positions.... my neighbour's position  he has no one close to him that works in a front line position and therefore does not need to consider the risk his family members are taking.

For me as I said it depends on how much skin you have in the game.

In my life time the only thing that comes close is in December 1972, 18 year olds where given the right to vote, and Gough promised to stop conscription ... my guess is most 18 to 21 year old boys and there mothers voted for Gough as no one wanted to go war. we had skin in the game.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

:good: Exactly what mine would look like soonish.

For the past five weeks, it's been more like 

Week 1 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 2 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 3 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 4 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Week 5 - Home, then home, home, home, home, home, home.

Now I know where all that rice went from the local supermarket shelves considering you haven't shopped for 5 weeks, unless of course you've been sending Mr wendybr!! :)

17 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Now I know where all that rice went from the local supermarket shelves considering you haven't shopped for 5 weeks, unless of course you've been sending Mr wendybr!! :)

:lol::lol:   Yes - he is keener than I am to get out the door! 

I went to the shops twice in the first 2 weeks - for 15 min supermarket dashes!

And once, back to my school to get a flu jab - which our principal always arranges.

Unbelievably, I'm perfectly comfortable, I must say - with a solid hour long walk around the neighbourhood each evening.

The weeks of Working from Home were frantic- which is the case again now. For the 2 weeks hols, I think I was still shell-shocked - and in quiet recovery mode! :lol:

50 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:lol::lol:   Yes - he is keener than I am to get out the door! 

I went to the shops twice in the first 2 weeks - for 15 min supermarket dashes!

And once, back to my school to get a flu jab - which our principal always arranges.

Unbelievably, I'm perfectly comfortable, I must say - with a solid hour long walk around the neighbourhood each evening.

The weeks of Working from Home were frantic- which is the case again now. For the 2 weeks hols, I think I was still shell-shocked - and in quiet recovery mode! :lol:

Well from the evidence Wendy, you need the app. You didn’t put your walk on the whereabouts history. 

6 hours ago, Cynth said:

Excellent. 

5 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Surely Russia and China could each manage it too!

A bit late now, but I reckon there's a couple of Nigerian princes too that could arrange it all dirt cheap.

21 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

A bit late now, but I reckon there's a couple of Nigerian princes too that could arrange it all dirt cheap.

Nah Ed, their too busy handing out lotto winnings and distant dead relatives estate fortunes.....:ninja:

:D

Definitely not interested 

Everyone should always turn off Bluetooth when out of home or car as my mate got hacked outside of a bank via Bluetooth and they were able to transfer money, was a few years ago but it is still hackable. 

Only time I'd consider having it if i get the virus to warn friends/family but I'm a responsible adult and would do so regardless of app. 

13 hours ago, sonar said:

Nah Ed, their too busy handing out lotto winnings and distant dead relatives estate fortunes.....:ninja:

:D

Well, maybe Nicole can help? After all she doesn't need to fix my internet.

On 28/04/2020 at 10:45 PM, Midfielder said:

I don't use flybys or the Woolies card either,

Just a quick one, do you pay with cash only?

The funny thing about Wool/Col is they link all your purchases to your credit/debit card, then sell that data whether you use flybys/rewards or not. Cheeky bastards.

On 29/04/2020 at 9:17 AM, TheDugong said:

AWS, Azure and GCP

Any of the others just Australian?

35 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Just a quick one, do you pay with cash only?

The funny thing about Wool/Col is they link all your purchases to your credit/debit card, then sell that data whether you use flybys/rewards or not. Cheeky bastards.

No just when I have cash.. that people collect data on you goes back to the caveman days its today its everywhere. As I said I don't use reward cards and as often as possible use cash.

Short story back in I think 1989 I was at a seminar and and one of the product sellers had what was obviously a list to gather data for sale of goods.

So I named myself on the form .. Ian Matthew Rich.... i.e. I M Rich

I had three children in GPS schools

Travelled overseas with my family at least 3 times a year often more and always first class.

I drove a Rolls and the wife drove a BMW sports.

I owned 12 houses

Share investments of over 5 million.

My business profit was in excess of $ 500, 000 per year.

My wife in her business made over $ 300, 00 per year.

I used my business PO box as the address.

Daily Ian Rich or I M Rich received invitations... I test drove some amazing cars ... went to some lovely dinners and always on the tables place card was the name I M Rich ... 

You could have fun with it in those days but no more

It’s two fold for me:

- I have two people close to me who can’t afford to accidentally catch covid19 off me. For the moment, of me catching it & passing it on to them outweighs the concerns I’ve got for the app now. If a person doesn’t remember all the places they’ve been or all the people they’ve been in contact. Not a risk I’m willing to take but it all depends on others taking it up. 

- For many of us, our daily lives are pretty straight forward but it isn’t for now. It’s going to be when restrictions are relaxed, we start spending time in shopping centers, sporting fields, restaurants, movie theaters. I don’t plan on doing all these things tomorrow but in the coming months when a second wave of infections happen & community transmission is rife, hopefully me having the app will make a difference

On 29/04/2020 at 8:11 AM, StringerBellend said:

There really isn’t. To set something like this up at the scale needed, and in the time needed. Requires “cloud” compute at scale. Microsoft Azure or AWS are the logical choices.

anyone remember the mess they made of census. Which was IBM implementing the hosting. 

If you don’t go with cloud providers a just looked at datacentre, putting aside your struggle for the scale, youd mostly be looking at either US or Indian owned outsourcers

Hosting this stuff at scale is difficult (see also the recent Centrelink online fiasco)

I didn't understand much of that - but you sound like you know what you're talking about! :D

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Nope.  AWS is Amazon, Azure is Microsoft, GCP is Google Cloud Platform.

Posted (edited)

I guess its chickens coming home to roost ... people on mass don't trust either the government nor companies holding the information not to abuse and trade in the data.

It saddens me so many people feel like this as front line workers often in low paying essential jobs are the ones taking risks daily and there right to have a safe work environment is considered less important by many than having there data shared.

As far as I am aware, all the app does is keep the phone number of a  phone you where within 1.5 meters of for 15 minutes or more.

I had an interesting conversation with a client today it went something like this and he brought the issue up by saying ... can't trust the government on this app there is no way I am going to get it... I asked did in his family was there a nurse, or a shop assistant, or a bus driver, or a doctor ... he looked puzzled and asked why and I said .. just say your wife or mother was working as a nurse would you not want them protected as best we could... he replied its up to government to provide the protective masks etc... and I said so you would do nothing to protect them and he replied he was self isolating and that was enough. 

I said my circumstances if I also count my sister and her husband out of 8 close family members seven work in front line jobs... 

The upshot was his fear and miss trust of government and their agencies was so high and he is in the majority that protection of people was not even a consideration.

Edited by Midfielder

Posted (edited)

I'm not a big fan of this government (never voted for the conservative side of politics) but on this issue I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Collectively we've done far better than our UK and US counterparts and rightly so the focus should now be on the 'Covid safe' resumption of the economy. This is an important component of the measures required and I'm comfortable with the fact that it is the lesser of 2 evils.

Edited by MartinTyler
spelling

5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I guess its chickens coming home to roost ... people on mass don't trust either the government nor companies holding the information not to abuse and trade in the data.

It saddens me so many people feel like this as front line workers often in low paying essential jobs are the ones taking risks daily and there right to have a safe work environment is considered less important by many than having there data shared.

As far as I am aware, all the app does is keep the phone number of a  phone you where within 1.5 meters of for 15 minutes or more.

I had an interesting conversation with a client today it went something like this and he brought the issue up by saying ... can't trust the government on this app there is no way I am going to get it... I asked did in his family was there a nurse, or a shop assistant, or a bus driver, or a doctor ... he looked puzzled and asked why and I said .. just say your wife or mother was working as a nurse would you not want them protected as best we could... he replied its up to government to provide the protective masks etc... and I said so you would do nothing to protect them and he replied he was self isolating and that was enough. 

I said my circumstances if I also count my sister and her husband out of 8 close family members seven work in front line jobs... 

The upshot was his fear and miss trust of government and their agencies was so high and he is in the majority that protection of people was not even a consideration.

I'm with you Middy.

I don't get it.

People put the most personal of stuff up on Facebook - and on 101 other platforms.

My understanding is that via one's phone, we can have our movements and contacts traced...anytime.

So many of our activities/purchases/viewings online etc are farmed out to who knows who....and people are worried about this??   :unknw:

29 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm with you Middy.

I don't get it.

People put the most personal of stuff up on Facebook - and on 101 other platforms.

My understanding is that via one's phone, we can have our movements and contacts traced...anytime.

So many of our activities are farmed out to who knows who....and people are worried about this??   :unknw:

The astonishing thing is that people still seem to trust big corporations with their information more than their elected governments - yet we all know how much data is collected by corporations to enable them to improve marketing, increase revenue and profits.

I've not been a fan of the current government but have been reasonably encouraged by the level of bipartisanship shown during this crisis and think that the risks of the COVID-19 safeapp are outweighed by the potential advantages of enabling society to return to some semblance of normality.

And yes, like a post mentioned earlier, with a family that includes mainly frontline and allied health workers, I am supportive of methods that improve our safety and enable others to return to work. 

I doubt there is much crossover between people who provide lots of data to facebook and elsewhere, downloading apps with dodgy privacy issues, and the people who are not downloading this one. Saying "everyone gives their data away anyway" doesn't really apply.

46 minutes ago, marron said:

I doubt there is much crossover between people who provide lots of data to facebook and elsewhere, downloading apps with dodgy privacy issues, and the people who are not downloading this one. Saying "everyone gives their data away anyway" doesn't really apply.

I've signed up - and :unknw:

Colour me totally naïve, and no doubt, far too trusting of people in general, but what are the biggest fears people have with this??

I can see that people are paranoid about being physically tracked....if they are meeting up with their drug dealers, for their weekly purchase of weed in the supermarket car park....maybe.

I can see that people conducting extra-marital affairs might be generally paranoid about being tracked????

What actual privacy is it that people are so desperate to maintain with this?

1 hour ago, marron said:

Dodgy privacy issues ... hhhmmmm big call... 

Given they plan to release part of the code and IT people I trust have said its very protected it only records a phone number of a phone you have been within 1.5 meters for more than 15 minutes ...

As for data giveaway , reward cards, credit & debit cards used during shopping provide helps of details... add FB & Google searches.

So if you pay in cash, don't use rewards cards, and don't use a search engine to look stuff up ...you have a point..... the client I had this morning used reward cards, used credit / debit cards when shopping, big user on FB, and big user of google... 

Also the open question about protecting front line workers IMO is important ... to moralise about personal privacy or digital privacy that you where near a phone number over protection of workers I just find sad because so many people are saying this. A mate in reply said I should have said what if you where employed in a front line role would you want people to think of your safety or agree that your personal safety is less important than knowing if someone was near a phone number.

But they haven't released the code.

And they haven't guaranteed the legal concerns.

And they aren't requesting people do it to protect frontline workers, they are requesting people do it so we can go to the pub.

And, above all this, sits a "home affairs" department with a public record of abusing their powers and a public record of desiring to be able to track our movements without any oversight from any body.

I agree that the protection of frontline workers is important. That's why the government could be working hard to protect them. With, you know, temperature checks and stuff. whuch isnt happenng despite workers being compelled to go.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

I don't get it.

So many of our activities/purchases/viewings online etc are farmed out to who knows who....and people are worried about this??   :unknw:

This I can completely agree with.

I'll give 3 examples that I have experienced of late (within the past 3 months).

1. 6 weeks ago, I ordered 2 stainless steel BBQ's for my current project, online. Since then, on various websites I read, I have been bombarded with ads from the website that I bought them from. There are at least 4 areas of interest of websites that I visit. I don't think I've seen these adds come up on WSF though.

2. 3 weeks ago, my ex sent me a text asking if I could bring my high pressure water cleaner over to her house on the weekend. I replied via text message saying yes. I then get bombarded by adverts for high pressure water cleaners on fb and various websites.

3. The third example, and by far the worst, is a conversation I had with the ex (in person) about an intensive driver training school that could get young Wanderboy's hours up to get his drivers licence soon. There was absolutely no emails, text messages or voice calls exchanged between us, and nothing on fb nor any other social media. I had not searched any websites. It was a thought bubble from me during a casual Sunday chat in person between us and us only, in her driveway after a visit. My phone was locked at the time. Next thing I know, I am being bombarded again by adds for driver training schools on fb. WTF??? Seriously? I can't even talk to my ex in person without someone listening in to a locked mobile phone? Is this even possible?  I told someone else this story and he told me the same had happened to a mate of his.

The above three examples are why I had no hesitation in downloading the Govt's Corona App. What more could anyone know about me?

This app is blue toothed and collects nothing more than the mobile number of the person you have been in contact with as explained above.

38 minutes ago, marron said:

But they haven't released the code.

They are planning on releasing it the end of this week.