Are you downloading the Covidsafe app?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be downloading the Covidsafe app?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

I hate all that stuff wanderboy. I don't want companies collecting that info. It's not the fact that whichever data agency has it can use it to profile me and push ads at me (although I do hate that), it's the potential for it to be used in the future should things change; should, for instance, a company be compelled to release all of that to, say, I don't know, an agency that could imprison you. Or should the legislation around the access to such data be changed and given retrospective powers. We are not so close to that; our government doesn't do that (unlike others) although Dutton wants to be able to have powers like that, has said so, has floated it, has broken laws to attempt to get such data. So, getting into the habit of downloading their software is not something i'm keen to do. I may not ever have to worry personally about such things but others may, and I don't want to live in a society where anyone should (especially when some signs indicate we almost do!). Is this app the thing to fear? Probably not, but I don't know, because, no code, and no guarantees (except for the promise that there will be, later - not good enough, sorry). But realistically I accept it probably isn't. Only, if I say yes now, it's a step towards the thing that potentially is.

We are a success story as far as these things go when it comes to Covid which is great. That has happened without the app. The government wants us all back at work and is telling me it's safe to go without the app. I haven't seen to much from them on the app, maybe someone can correct me - but I haven't seen them say we need to do this to protect frontline workers. If they have said that, well, like I said above, if that's their concern, there is a stack of stuff they could have done when we were on the up and a stack of stuff they could do now which would help just as much as an app which by many accounts doesn't work that well anyway. They're not. And if the app was needed to make it safe, the message would be a lot firmer, wouldn't it? And if they haven't said it, I think it's pretty telling, because it indicates that they think it should be safe without it anyway. Or, it indicates they don't actually give a **** (which their past rhetoric could indicate).

4 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

3. The third example, and by far the worst, is a conversation I had with the ex (in person) about an intensive driver training school that could get young Wanderboy's hours up to get his drivers licence soon. There was absolutely no emails, text messages or voice calls exchanged between us, and nothing on fb nor any other social media. I had not searched any websites. It was a thought bubble from me during a casual Sunday chat in person between us and us only, in her driveway after a visit. My phone was locked at the time. Next thing I know, I am being bombarded again by adds for driver training schools on fb. WTF??? Seriously? I can't even talk to my ex in person without someone listening in to a locked mobile phone? Is this even possible?  I told someone else this story and he told me the same had happened to a mate of his.

The above three examples are why I had no hesitation in downloading the Govt's Corona App. What more could anyone know about me?

This app is blue toothed and collects nothing more than the mobile number of the person you have been in contact with as explained above.

No 3 there should utterly shock me, but it doesn't, because the same has happened to me.

A conversation  in the back yard of my home with a family member, about portable hothouses/ greenhouses...with my phone somewhere present...and then...I started getting ads for these items pop up when using Yahoo!

Family member confirmed the same had happened with him.

Horses have bolted...not sure they will ever be rounded up and put back in their stables.

I think there's a great deal more to be worried about than this app...and it hopefully has a very useful social benefit.

PS Noone really addressed my question above...so...I really do mot understand the paranoia.

:unknw::unknw:

PS Sorry...just saw Marron's post which does sort of address my question.

I get that it's another step in the direction people fear, but.....

Facebook, Woolies and Google don't have access to a police force, don't have the power to enact retrospective legislation and don't really have a reason to track you beyond simple commercial/$$$ reasons. There are many reasons why a Government might want to track the movement of it's citizens and not all of them are for "the greater good". 

A website placing a cookie on your computer is a lot different to this app. If you're getting ads on your Facebook page for products, then you don't have your privacy/information permissions set up correctly. Use a VPN, educate yourself on privacy permissions and only give over the information you absolutely have to. I would suggest everyone have a look at this article and follow the instructions if you're worried about advertisers and your data - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/facebook-can-see-your-website-activity-heres-a-new-tool-to-stop-it/ But as I've said before, I'm not really fussed Facebook know I like puppies and Kmart. In fact, I often appreciate that they're serving me the content I want to see. 

The source code should have been released before the big push to download it. Too late now that four million people have downloaded it. They also should have had proper legislative protections in place beforehand. They didn't. If you want to convince people like myself and marron abut the safety and mechanics of the app, then those two things alone would have made a huge difference to my point of view. 

So if can't give data to state health authorities, who gets the data? ASIO or some unnamed secret govt agency (run by the Plod)

NSW is unable to use Covidsafe app’s data for contact tracing https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/19/nsw-and-victoria-are-unable-to-use-covidsafe-apps-data-for-contact-tracing?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

To summarise this article, Scumbo and Hunt were sold a dud. The App used once. And this quote from the NSW Premier sums it up.

“Yes the app is important in speeding up the process, but please know that process [contact tracing] happens regardless

How did the Covidsafe app go from being vital to almost irrelevant? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/24/how-did-the-covidsafe-app-go-from-being-vital-to-almost-irrelevant?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

To summarise this article, Scumbo and Hunt were sold a dud. The App used once. And this quote from the NSW Premier sums it up.

“Yes the app is important in speeding up the process, but please know that process [contact tracing] happens regardless

How did the Covidsafe app go from being vital to almost irrelevant? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/24/how-did-the-covidsafe-app-go-from-being-vital-to-almost-irrelevant?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

It’s an interesting phenomenon. The fact is, other than a couple of obvious exceptions, the Australian authorities have been competent in their management of the virus, so much so, that Australians have used the behavioural methods of virus control well and feel safer than in other countries. The governments own competence has made the app redundant. 

30 minutes ago, Cynth said:

It’s an interesting phenomenon. The fact is, other than a couple of obvious exceptions, the Australian authorities have been competent in their management of the virus, so much so, that Australians have used the behavioural methods of virus control well and feel safer than in other countries. The governments own competence has made the app redundant. 

I would suggest the Health Committee  was competent on medical matters

The only competence on medical grounds for Scumbo & Co showed was to follow the Health Committee's advice.

2 hours ago, Cynth said:

The governments own competence has made the app redundant. 

Hmmm...I'm not commenting on the App, which may well be a dud.

But I feel as though it's too soon to feel comfortable about anything (and I'm not saying that you're saying that Cynth).

It feels like we're at the start of a whole new phase of this...going into Winter.

With potentially the public transport system loading up, and places like schools opening up again, with physical distancing impossible, it feels like  we're entering the unknown...again.

The only thing that hopefully has improved, is the health system's capacity to deal with what is likely to be an escalation.

:unknw:

Just now, wendybr said:

Hmmm...I'm not commenting on the App, which may well be a dud.

But I feel as though it's too soon to feel comfortable about anything (and I'm not saying that you're saying that Cynth).

It feels like we're at the start of a whole new phase of this...going into Winter.

With potentially the public transport system loading up, and places like schools opening up again, with physical distancing impossible, it feels like  we're entering the unknown...again.

The only thing that hopefully has improved, is the health system's capacity to deal with what is likely to be an escalation.

:unknw:

The next 3 weeks will be telling.

The advertising on Covid is now focussed on the 2nd wave