Paul01

A-league 2019/20 Season Restart

Any word from the club regarding spectators?

1 hour ago, WHACKO said:

Any word from the club regarding spectators?

“We are excited to be returning to Bankwest Stadium on Wednesday 22 July and hope in the next two weeks we have some further clarification on allowing fans into stadium to support the team for our push to the finals,” said Tsatsimas.

“Our members and fans are fundamental to us as a club and we are working hard behind the scenes to find ways to give them access to the game in the safest environment possible.

“The past months have been a testing time for all in our community and we hope that the return of football can be a small relief from the difficulties many are facing during this pandemic.”

4 hours ago, Davo said:

Lopar is a big loss but otherwise we seem to have kept the squad together. So many other teams are falling apart with foreign players and managers leaving so we have a better chance than before lockdown. The teams directly ahead of us on the table have lost their manager, lost their visa players, feel like one bust up from a complete implosion (looking at you Western United) or will spend the rest of the season playing away from their families in another country. If we can get into the top 6 then anything can happen. We can beat City and seem to have the smurfs figured out this season.

We should be able to beat Vuck and Mariners. Thats 6 points in the first 2 games. Then we play Wellington who we could get a result against, remember that we lost to them because of a cheap handball and a few fluky goals. Perth are also very beatable as we saw in FFA Cup, plus they have lost their best CB (maybe even best in the league), Wuithrich, and we lost to a cheap pass-back and non given Yeboah goal of his shoulder. WU are also very beatable, we should have beaten them in our poor slump, but Babbel didn't use subs and we conceded a header late because everyone was gassed. 

We are a whole new team now and I think we can hold our own. Since JP has come in we have lost 1 game, in and against Brisbane, where I have been told by one of the players that it was so bad no one could run in the humidity. They have shown they can grind out results and have the grit to pull off big upsets. I've got a lot of confidence we can finish the season strongly in-front of our fans and we can charge into the finals as a dark horse. COYW

LOL I didn't get the email, luisenrique had to forward it to me.  Seems that the layoff hasn't helped the administration of membership accounts. haha

33 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

LOL I didn't get the email, luisenrique had to forward it to me.  Seems that the layoff hasn't helped the administration of membership accounts. haha

there was an email...

We're missing Lopar. Even if we win a few, we'll be bundled out of the comp early in the finals. These 5 or so games is a test for JP and any of the players that might hang around with a dramatically reduced salary cap next season.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

We're missing Lopar. Even if we win a few, we'll be bundled out of the comp early in the finals. These 5 or so games is a test for JP and any of the players that might hang around with a dramatically reduced salary cap next season.

I feel like everyone is acting as if whoever is going to be in net for the rest of the season is going to concede with every shot. Yes he was good, but Lopar was sometimes his own worst enemy. He doesn't catch the ball and decides to parry most shots, leading to a few goals (see Sydney fc most recent derby). He also fails to save some really easy shots (see Perth Glory 1-0). Our defence started to tighten up before COVID and we shouldn't have to rely on a goalkeeper to win us a game.

3 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I feel like everyone is acting as if whoever is going to be in net for the rest of the season is going to concede with every shot. Yes he was good, but Lopar was sometimes his own worst enemy. He doesn't catch the ball and decides to parry most shots, leading to a few goals (see Sydney fc most recent derby). He also fails to save some really easy shots (see Perth Glory 1-0). Our defence started to tighten up before COVID and we shouldn't have to rely on a goalkeeper to win us a game.

He also saved our arse numerous times from defenders who were ball watching, made terrible decisions or simply gave up. How many teams have ever won the comp or gone deep into finals with an NPL keeper (and one who hasn't played competitive games with his backline)?

9 minutes ago, Carns said:

He also saved our arse numerous times from defenders who were ball watching, made terrible decisions or simply gave up. How many teams have ever won the comp or gone deep into finals with an NPL keeper (and one who hasn't played competitive games with his backline)?

The 'worst' keeper to play in an A-League grand final would arguably be Daniel Beltrame in 2006/07 where he only played the last quarter of the season. The weird format for in those earlier years meant he played 4 games in the finals and went Draw, Loss, Win (on Pens after a drawn 120 minutes) then lost 6-0 in the final.

Redmayne had also been terrible at WSW, but was in goal for our GF vs Adelaide. Neither those keepers cost them their GF's, Adelaide were killed by Ross Aloisi getting sent off at 2-0 down before ending 6-0 Victory and WSW were just poor defensively and our attacking structure was dull up front despite making the GF.

In 17/18 Glen Moss missed the 2nd half of the season via injury, returned in the semi-final before getting hurt after an hour. Played (and lost) in the GF vs Melbourne. Which was a VAR fault not a keeper error.

In the end it's unlikely our keeper will be what gets us to the finals. It'll be how good our attack is vs how bad the defence is.

3 minutes ago, mack said:

In the end it's unlikely our keeper will be what gets us to the finals. It'll be how good our attack is vs how bad the defence is.

This.......^^^^^^

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Carns said:

So we are just gonna base everything off past seasons? While I understand Lopar has saved us many times this season (and the defence hasn't helped), the defence was starting to tighten up and look like it gave a sh*t. Your argument about who has won the A-League with an NPL keeper is funny considering we won the ACL with multiple players who were definitely NPL level.

It is a team of 11 players to win games, not one goalkeeper. We act like whoever is now in net will let every shot in lol.

Give e'm a chance for gods sake. I know its hard to trust the players and the club after years of hurt but we have a shot at going well if we can make it to the finals. Try and be glass half full and look at the bright side instead of looking at the situation negatively all the time.

Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Your argument about who has won the A-League with an NPL keeper is funny considering we won the ACL with multiple players who were definitely NPL level.

It is a team of 11 players to win games, not one goalkeeper. We act like however is now in net will let every shot in lol.

Give e'm a chance for gods sake. I know its hard to trust the players and the club after years of hurt but we have a shot at going well if we can make it to the finals. Try and be glass half full and look at the bright side instead of looking at the situation negatively all the time.

Covic was a fringe Socceroo and literally made an almost impossible save to keep us in it (plus a lot of help from the ref). If Pendergrast or Suman find their inner Covic, great!

I prefer to be a realist/pessimist, then I'm happily proven wrong if they do better than expected. I do not believe we have anywhere near the quality to win anything this season, and are there to make up the numbers. We've been a decidedly average team most of the season. Yes, JP gave us a bump, from a very low average. And I would like to see him exceed (low) expectations. But I do not expect us to do much of note.

But, it is arguable that everyone is starting fresh considering the length of the lay off, and anything could happen.

12 minutes ago, Carns said:

Covic was a fringe Socceroo and literally made an almost impossible save to keep us in it (plus a lot of help from the ref). If Pendergrast or Suman find their inner Covic, great!

I prefer to be a realist/pessimist, then I'm happily proven wrong if they do better than expected. I do not believe we have anywhere near the quality to win anything this season, and are there to make up the numbers. We've been a decidedly average team most of the season. Yes, JP gave us a bump, from a very low average. And I would like to see him exceed (low) expectations. But I do not expect us to do much of note.

But, it is arguable that everyone is starting fresh considering the length of the lay off, and anything could happen.

Never said Covic was NPL level lol. If you read what I said it says "multiple players" were NPL level. We also had to win multiple games to get to that final with NPL level players.

I agree our team has been average this season, but from what I saw since JP has come in, we have the ingredients to do well should we pick up where we left off.

31 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Never said Covic was NPL level lol. If you read what I said it says "multiple players" were NPL level. We also had to win multiple games to get to that final with NPL level players.

I know that dude. We were discussing keepers and when you mentioned ACL I couldn't help but bring up arguably our best ever keeper. Another massive factor for that glorious run was Popa at his peak. He literally turned a bunch of rejects into Premiers and than Champions of Asia (with different squads too). I just don't see JP being on the same level as Popa was then. But he's done alright for himself so far.

That's why I'm happy to see what comes in the next few weeks and decide whether he deserves another shot with "his team". Hell, he might already have the job due to Covid and budget constraints due to reduced cap/revenue etc.

Yeah i would say he has the job wrapped up due to the situation ATM plus keeping us in the running for the finals as that could have easily slipped away from us. I would give him the next season to prove himself seeing we will have a shorter turn around this off season as well

Interesting, just read that teams will be allowed five subs for the rest of the season to make things a little easier maybe allow the younger guys to get a run in too

I just saw a snippet from News Ltd website that Victorian teams will relocate interstate.

Anyone confirm the story?

12 minutes ago, mack said:

ALF

Like your purposeful dyslexia 

ALF Alien Life Form

But no, the Terrorgraph is reporting possible A-league player relocations

Found it.

A-League: Players from Melbourne clubs forced to relocate as COVID crisis deepens
Melbourne Victory are preparing for ‘more curveballs’ to come their way, likely in the form of shifting their two remaining home games to NSW as the Coronavirus spreads through Melbourne.

There is a growing concern among Melbourne clubs that they will be forced to relocate to NSW to escape the Coronavirus grip on the city, which has already put 10 postcodes into lockdown.

Victoria on Thursday recorded a further 77 new Coronavirus cases, while the postcode lockdown forced staff members and players from the three Victorian clubs – Victory, Melbourne City and Western United – to relocate our of the city’s hot spots.

City defender Scott Jamieson, along with two teammates and a fitness coach, were all moved into temporary accommodation on Wednesday night ahead of the midnight lockdown curfew – while both Victory and Western United also relocated affected members of their football departments.

As of Thursday night, the FFA remained in discussion with the NSW government about the next steps which would need to be taken to clear the clubs to resume their A-League campaigns, which is due to restart with a Victory-Western united derby on July 16.

That fixture was set to take place at AAMI Park, a scenario which is looking increasingly unlikely.

Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro on Thursday appeared resigned to the likelihood that the team’s final two home games would be moved to NSW.

“Someone told me when I became Chairman of this club that there’d be a new curveball thrown every day,” Di Pietro told SEN.

“That person was so right. And there’s more than one curveball getting thrown at the moment.

“We really are planning as best we can but expecting the unexpected each day.

“We had hopes we’d have potentially the ability to bring some of our members into games for the AAMI Park games – that’s just so far off now, we’d be lucky to even be playing there the way things are looking.

“The last few days have been quite concerning here in Victoria.

“The season kicks off July 16, we’ll wait until FFA confirm with us whether we’re playing our games here in Victoria or whether we’re going to play them in NSW.

“It may be a fly-in, fly-out situation – we hope that is the case, rather than hubbing. But we really don’t know.”

COVID CRISIS HITS A-LEAGUE

By Joe Barton

Victoria’s Coronavirus flare-up has thrown the return of the A-League into peril, with Melbourne-based players facing the prospect of being shut out of the competition.

Football Federation Australia on Wednesday announced the revised schedule, set to cram the remaining 27 games of the regular season in a 28-day football feast before a condensed finals series which wraps up with an August 23 grand final.

But news of a NSW ban on residents from the identified Victorian hotspots – and threats of up $11,000 fines and up to six months in prison – rocked the code on Wednesday.

It is understood Melbourne City defender Scott Jamieson lives in a suburb identified as a Coronavirus hotspot – while a fitness coach and two youth players have also been caught up in the mess.

However, of greater danger for City is the potential for the lockdown spreading to neighbouring suburbs – which would more severely impact the league’s second-placed side, their Victorian rivals and the competition as a whole.

Melbourne Victory and Geelong-based Western United haven’t yet established any players who are impacted.

After the AFL moved swiftly, telling affected players they needed to move suburbs before midnight or risk being barred from NSW, senior FFA officials were locked in discussions late on Wednesday to clarify the damage the border ban could do.

All but one of the scheduled fixtures announced on Wednesday are based in the ‘NSW hub’ – with Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United squaring off at Gold Coast’s CBUS Stadium the lone outlier.

The rest will be divided between Jubilee Stadium, ANZ Stadium, Central Coast Stadium, McDonald Jones Stadium and, with the lion’s share of the fixtures, Bankwest Stadium.

However there are seven games – six involving Victorian clubs, including the first game after the resumption between Melbourne Victory and Western United – which remain ‘to be confirmed’.

FFA’s Head of Leagues Greg O’Rourke raised the prospect of the schedule being flexible.

“As we are a truly national game, the current border controls means that some of the match day venues may need to change, however we have secured venues in both a NSW Hub model and a hybrid hub model which has most games in NSW but allows for a few games in other states,” O’Rourke said.

“Whilst we don’t see the draw changing, the planning we have undertaken provides us with agility to shift between certain states if required. This version of the draw displays our current venue plan.

“We will continue to work with the Federal and State governments to ensure the health and safety of our players, coaches and other stakeholders and have detailed and practical protocols in place for all parties involved in training and match days.”

The concept of a NSW hub has left Adelaide United’s Carl Vaert and Melbourne Victory defender Tim Hoogland fuming – with the interim coach unimpressed his side will have to play their remaining fixtures this season away from Hindmarsh Stadium.

“When we were originally given the draw they said we would have some home games so I’m not too sure why now they’ve gone away from that,” Veart said.

“They haven’t given an indication why yet.”

Hoogland said he had no interest in abandoning his family for the rest of the season to join a NSW hub.

FULL FIXTURE LIST

July 16: Melbourne Victory v Western United, TBC

July 17: Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix, Jubilee Stadium

July 18: Perth Glory v Central Coast Mariners, Central Coast Stadium

July 19: Brisbane Roar v Adelaide United, CBUS Stadium

July 20: Western United v Melbourne City, TBC

July 21: Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets, Jubilee Stadium

July 22: Western Sydney Wanderers v Melbourne Victory, Bankwest Stadium

July 23: Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix, Jubilee Stadium

July 24: Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets, Central Coast Stadium

July 25: Sydney FC v Western United, Bankwest Stadium

July 26: Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United, Bankwest Stadium

July 27: Central Coast Mariners v Western Sydney Wanderers, Central Coast Stadium

July 28: Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar, Bankwest Stadium

July 30: Adelaide United v Perth Glory, Bankwest Stadium

July 31: Western Sydney Wanderers v Wellington Phoenix, Bankwest Stadium

August 1: Melbourne City v Sydney FC, TBC

August 2: Newcastle Jets v Western United, McDonald Jones Stadium

August 3: Melbourne Victory v Central Coast Mariners, TBC

August 4: Western Sydney Wanderers v Perth Glory, Bankwest Stadium

August 5: Wellington Phoenix v Brisbane Roar, Bankwest Stadium

August 6: Adelaide United v Sydney FC, TBC

August 7: Western United v Western Sydney Wanderers, TBC

August 8: Perth Glory v Melbourne Victory, Bankwest Stadium

August 9: Newcastle Jets v Wellington Phoenix, McDonald Jones Stadium

August 10: Brisbane Roar v Sydney FC, ANZ Stadium

August 11: Melbourne City v Adelaide United, TBC

August 12: Perth Glory v Western United, Bankwest Stadium

ELIMINATION FINALS

August 15: Team 4 v Team 5 or Team 3 v Team 6

August 16: Team 4 v Team 5 or Team 3 v Team 6

SEMI-FINALS

August 19: 1 v Lowest Ranked EF Winner or 2 v Highest Ranked EF Winner

August 20: 1 v Lowest Ranked EF Winner or 2 v Highest Ranked EF Winner

GRAND FINAL

August 23: Winners Semi-Final v Winner Semi-Final 2

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Good.

The A-League needs to do everything it has to do to finish the season. If Victoria wasn't such a basket case atm it wouldn't be an issue. Other sports have done it.

The NRL were smart and got the Storm out of there last week. The AFL are in the ****.

Victorians need to suck it up.

11 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Or they just shut down for a season. 

Or permanently would be better.

Finally football will return and the team is looking together still and a fresh start, i hope we play some attractive attack and not too defensive. Will have an advantage over the interstate teams and would be nice if us and esfc can help out if needed. 

Be interesting to see how they select the 25% capacity of people and if i get selected i will pass on to anyone here as I will be having surgery and will miss out. Hopefully at least they add 500 rbb but social distancing and policing will be an issue. 

How many home games do we have or interstate teams play us in Sydney that would be possible to attend? 

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The way this virus is, and the way Melbournians have brought it out of quarantine to Sydney and the NT, there's a good chance we'll have our own little outbreak soon. They should have just gone hard for elimination when they had the chance in May/June, instead of easing the restrictions.

On 03/07/2020 at 1:04 AM, btron3000 said:

The way this virus is, and the way Melbournians have brought it out of quarantine to Sydney and the NT, there's a good chance we'll have our own little outbreak soon. They should have just gone hard for elimination when they had the chance in May/June, instead of easing the restrictions.

If I remember rightly, Andrews kept the restrictions on the advice of his Chief Medical Officer, defying Scumbo. Scumbo is now very quiet on Victoria. 

This appears to be a management failure by the security company as well as stupidity by one of its staff. The failure to adequately pass on the risks to staff looks to be the primary cause of the spike. The security company should gave asked for the Victorian Dept of Health for a full training session. A 10 minute session was simply not enough for security guards who are not trained for such biosecurity issues.

We can't point the finger either with the debacle of letting passengers off the Ruby Princess by the poor classification by NSW Health.

Usually problems like this always come down to management failure.

Looks like no games in Victoria with the border closed between NSW and Victoria.

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The Victorian teams really need to get out of there asap.

Seems like they’ve missed the deadline, they now need to apply to get an exemption. Could be a 3 day wait!