Jump to content

W-League & WSW WL Discussion 2020/21


mack

Recommended Posts

  • mack pinned this topic

Will thw W-League become NPLW+?

Matilda's and fringe players no longer in W-League
Sam Kerr
Lisa De Vanna
Emily Gielnik
Alex Chidiac

From 2019-2020 season
Heartle$$
Ellie Carpenter
Kyah Simon
Emma Checker

Smurfs
Chloe Logarzo
Caitlin Foord

Wanderers
Amy Harrison
Ella Mastrantonio

Brisbane
Tameka Yallop
Claire Polkinghorne
Katrina Gorry
Hayley Raso

Canberra
Karly Roestbakken

Adelaide
Mary Fowler

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"The Sky Blues have made three new signings from cross-city rivals Western Sydney Wanderers including Young Matilda’s goalkeeper Jada Mathyssen-Whyman, striker Cortnee Vine and senior international forward Rachel Lowe."

 

Not huge losses imo

Edited by wswnick
Link to post
7 hours ago, wswnick said:

"The Sky Blues have made three new signings from cross-city rivals Western Sydney Wanderers including Young Matilda’s goalkeeper Jada Mathyssen-Whyman, striker Cortnee Vine and senior international forward Rachel Lowe."

 

Not huge losses imo

I'd disagree...other players have left for overseas and there's no guarantee they will be back or indeed our imports. Looks like we might have to basically put a new team together.

Link to post

Whyman is a loss. Beside the fact she's the Matildas reserve keeper and was our only decent player when we were crap, the club put a lot of effort into making her the face of the W-League team. She's in heaps of promotional material, merch photo shoots, match day activities, etc.

I'd be surprised if the club were happy to let her go to anyone, let alone our main rivals.

Link to post
20 minutes ago, Davo said:

Whyman is a loss. Beside the fact she's the Matildas reserve keeper and was our only decent player when we were crap, the club put a lot of effort into making her the face of the W-League team. She's in heaps of promotional material, merch photo shoots, match day activities, etc.

I'd be surprised if the club were happy to let her go to anyone, let alone our main rivals.

Yeah this does seem a strange one given all the club has done for her and her profile. Reminds me of when we signed Kyah Simon only for her to get injured, miss the whose season and then ditch us for Sydney FC without kicking a ball for us. Then again we were a bit of a basket case with our women's team back then.

Link to post
29 minutes ago, mack said:

We signed an import keeper and ditched her to the bench. She probably got promised #1 status at SFC and moved for gametime.

I thought we signed the import keeper because she was injured and out for the season

Link to post
On 14/08/2020 at 12:37 AM, wswnick said:

"The Sky Blues have made three new signings from cross-city rivals Western Sydney Wanderers including Young Matilda’s goalkeeper Jada Mathyssen-Whyman, striker Cortnee Vine and senior international forward Rachel Lowe."

 

Not huge losses imo

All three big losses and all the more reason why the club can F off. It’s all built on sand out amazing fantastic achievement of first w league finals was built of imports who didn’t even complete the season 

Rachel Lowe is very promising player and both her and Jada spent loads of time Talking to the young fans my daughter has both their autographs 

We signed Abby Smith as Jada was out injured 

Link to post
39 minutes ago, mack said:

We signed an import keeper and ditched her to the bench. She probably got promised #1 status at SFC and moved for gametime.

She had a major knee operation 

once again club let’s heart and soul of club player go 

 

Edited by StringerBellend
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe this is the unavailable list of Matilda's 

The list has Heartle$$ and Brisbane being totally decimated. We lost 2 of our best Australian players to OS in Harrison and Mastrantonio. 

Sam Kerr
Lisa De Vanna
Emily Gielnik
Alex Chidiac
Heartle$$
Ellie Carpenter
Kyah Simon
Emma Checker
Steph Catley
Lydia Williams
Avi Luik
Van Egmond
Chloe Logarzo
Caitlin Foord
Amy Harrison
Ella Mastrantonio
Mackenzie Arnold
Tameka Yallop
Claire Polkinghorne
Katrina Gorry
Hayley Raso
Elise Kellond-Knight
Isobel Dalton
Laura Brock
Jenna McCormack
Karly Roestbakken
Mary Fowler

Link to post

Think of how much this will improve the Matildas though. There's nowhere near enough money in the women's game here so the best are always going overseas but they'll be playing top football at clubs with elite facilities and staff. It'll also open up the W-League to a whole lot of players that wouldn't have had a chance at a paid footballing gig.

Link to post
2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

So much for Johnson's vision of the W-league being amongst the world's top 5 !!

My original point in this thread was that the W-League is most likely to NPLW+.

After a little digging, most NSW based Australian W-League players who did not go overseas are playing in NPLW in NSW. Also, some players from Melbourne are also here including Casey Dumont (Vuck) and Eliza Campbell (Perth).

Link to post
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

My original point in this thread was that the W-League is most likely to NPLW+.

After a little digging, most NSW based Australian W-League players who did not go overseas are playing in NPLW in NSW. Also, some players from Melbourne are also here including Casey Dumont (Vuck) and Eliza Campbell (Perth).

Given the current exodus that point is certainly a valid one

Link to post
3 hours ago, Davo said:

Think of how much this will improve the Matildas though. There's nowhere near enough money in the women's game here so the best are always going overseas but they'll be playing top football at clubs with elite facilities and staff. It'll also open up the W-League to a whole lot of players that wouldn't have had a chance at a paid footballing gig.

It will keep the current Matildas on a par with all the other leading nations, many of whom have been improving rapidly in recent years. I fear for the next generation though.

Link to post
11 hours ago, Davo said:

Think of how much this will improve the Matildas though. There's nowhere near enough money in the women's game here so the best are always going overseas but they'll be playing top football at clubs with elite facilities and staff. It'll also open up the W-League to a whole lot of players that wouldn't have had a chance at a paid footballing gig.

That’s probably true, but It’s not going to do the W League any good. Last year you could take your kids to a W League game and see multiple current Matilidas play plus A bunch of other internationals. The W League clearly was a “top” League, now it will become like the A League, if you know I mean 

Link to post
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

That’s probably true, but It’s not going to do the W League any good. Last year you could take your kids to a W League game and see multiple current Matilidas play plus A bunch of other internationals. The W League clearly was a “top” League, now it will become like the A League, if you know I mean 

This.

Mind-boggling that Sam Kerr was still kicking it around here last year if I recall correctly

Link to post

So far 5 players out of 7 named for Wander Women with 4 playing NPLW

Caitlin Cooper
Oliva Price
Courtney Nevin
Susan Phonsongkham
Georgia Yeoman-Dale

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...