Jump to content

W-League & WSW WL Discussion 2020/21


mack

Recommended Posts

OooThe W-league team looks to be built on having an Australian backline and midfield. They are thin on forwards and we haven't signed any international to date.

Teams looks like this atm

....................Willacy

Yeoman-dale........Cooper.......Orgill.......Nevin

Copus-Brown......Collister.......Price......Galea/Middeton

Khamis..........Susan P

Bench: Newbon (GK), Matos (Df), Chauvet (Df)

We still don't have a full squad with no backups in midfield or forwards, so there must be some more signings to be finalised. 

Notable Australian absentees from last season: Erica Holloway (who might still be recovering from the ACL injury), Kyra Cooney-cross (MIA),  Alix Roberts

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Holloway, Kyra Cooney-cross & Alix Roberts

Kyra joined Blacktown Spartans during the NPL season and now the reports are that WSW and Victory have made offers as well as overseas clubs but that she would prefer to stay in Australia. I believe she would be back to Sydney now after participating in the FFA's training camp that was held in Adelaide this past week. I would suspect she'll have to make a decision pretty shortly about which club to join with the season a month away.

Roberts also joined the Spartans after the season, we might have decided not to retain her again after 4 seasons with us, she only played 3 games last year.

Holloway suffering an ACL injury at age 36 may have forced her into retirement and even if she didn't, signing her again would be a really risky choice for the club.

Link to post
5 hours ago, mack said:

She joined Blacktown Spartans during the NPL season and now the reports are that WSW and Victory have made offers as well as overseas clubs but that she would prefer to stay in Australia. I believe she would be back to Sydney now after participating in the FFA's training camp that was held in Adelaide this past week. I would suspect she'll have to make a decision pretty shortly about which club to join with the season a month away.

Roberts also joined the Spartans after the season, we might have decided not to retain her again after 4 seasons with us, she only played 3 games last year.

Holloway suffering an ACL injury at age 36 may have forced her into retirement and even if she didn't, signing her again would be a really risky choice for the club.

With regard to Roberts, I thought she was good at RB when she played. I vaguely remember that she got injured so Holloway had to play right-back.

If Heffernan is to sign any overseas players he will have to pull his finger out with the 14 day quarantine restrictions.

Link to post

I heard yesterday that W-League draw is delayed because of the venue issue in Victoria.

While winter may be an option for football, Marvel is not available to Melb Victory during the BBL and from April with the AwFL starting. AAMI startz getting used for the Thugby codes from March. The Fraudsters also have the problem of not having Geelong available. So much for their promise of a stadium.

Whilst football plays second or third fiddle and does not have management rights to any ground, it looks like we are going to shoved from pillar to post as always.

Link to post
On 26/11/2020 at 2:19 PM, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Yeah. Looks like she will be good. But not an exciting signing.

Read this

Meet the Wanderers defender who took untraditional path to pro football https://www.sbs.com.au/meet-the-wanderers-defender-who-took-untraditional-path-to-pro-football?cid=twgapp:socialshare:copylink

Link to post
On 27/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, Paul01 said:

Read this

Meet the Wanderers defender who took untraditional path to pro football https://www.sbs.com.au/meet-the-wanderers-defender-who-took-untraditional-path-to-pro-football?cid=twgapp:socialshare:copylink

Thats an untraditional path alright.

btw - for anyone else - link above didn't work but I found it https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/meet-the-wanderers-defender-who-took-untraditional-path-to-pro-football

Link to post
On 27/11/2020 at 1:18 AM, mack said:

Kyra joined Blacktown Spartans during the NPL season and now the reports are that WSW and Victory have made offers as well as overseas clubs but that she would prefer to stay in Australia. I believe she would be back to Sydney now after participating in the FFA's training camp that was held in Adelaide this past week. I would suspect she'll have to make a decision pretty shortly about which club to join with the season a month away.

Roberts also joined the Spartans after the season, we might have decided not to retain her again after 4 seasons with us, she only played 3 games last year.

Holloway suffering an ACL injury at age 36 may have forced her into retirement and even if she didn't, signing her again would be a really risky choice for the club.

Saw  something on social media about Kyra heading back to Melbourne so it looks like Victory may have won that one.  

Link to post
2 hours ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Saw  something on social media about Kyra heading back to Melbourne so it looks like Victory may have won that one.  

You'd have to think that if she was re-signing with us it would all be done and dusted by now

Link to post
Just now, MartinTyler said:

You'd have to think that if she was re-signing with us it would all be done and dusted by now

There was an overseas contract potential 

Link to post

This affect the W-League and Visa players

The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) will bring back the Challenge Cup before moving forward with a 24-game regular season beginning in May next year, the league said on Wednesday.

Players will report to camp on Feb. 1 for the month-long Challenge Cup, which was introduced in June as the NWSL became the first major North American league to return to action amid the coronavirus outbreak, held in a quarantined setting in suburban Salt Lake City, Utah.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Looks like no imports for our W-League team this season. Multiple NPLW players

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/henry-signs

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/wanderers-sign-trio-young-guns

Season clash with overseas seasons plus covid quarantine requirements make it difficult to say the least.

Link to post
1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

Season clash with overseas seasons plus covid quarantine requirements make it difficult to say the least.

However Melb Victory signed a few

Link to post
On 30/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, Paul01 said:

This affect the W-League and Visa players

The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) will bring back the Challenge Cup before moving forward with a 24-game regular season beginning in May next year, the league said on Wednesday.

Players will report to camp on Feb. 1 for the month-long Challenge Cup, which was introduced in June as the NWSL became the first major North American league to return to action amid the coronavirus outbreak, held in a quarantined setting in suburban Salt Lake City, Utah.

James Johnson was banging on about making the W League one of the top 3/4 women's leagues in the world....he's got absolutely NO chance when our season overlaps with Europe and/or the US. Even if it didn't we'd still be struggling.

Link to post

So Kyra Cooney-cross was on loan

"Despite earning her first W-League call-up for Melbourne Victory back in 2017 as a 15-year old, it took a loan move to Western Sydney for Young Matilda Kyra Cooney-Cross to burst onto the public stage. Her impressive season with the Wanderers, which saw her score four goals and assist two more, was bested only by Ellie Carpenter at City in terms of the league’s best young players"

Link to post
1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

So Kyra Cooney-cross was on loan

"Despite earning her first W-League call-up for Melbourne Victory back in 2017 as a 15-year old, it took a loan move to Western Sydney for Young Matilda Kyra Cooney-Cross to burst onto the public stage. Her impressive season with the Wanderers, which saw her score four goals and assist two more, was bested only by Ellie Carpenter at City in terms of the league’s best young players"

I'd say that wasn't technically correct....just 'figure of speech' from the Victory angle

Link to post
4 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I'd say that wasn't technically correct....just 'figure of speech' from the Victory angle

It was actually written by Samantha Lewis.

Link to post

gee kayo really bury the w-league fixtures don't they. can't seem to make them appear anywhere, have to search every time. wtf is that about.

Link to post
On 18/12/2020 at 12:14 PM, MartinTyler said:

James Johnson was banging on about making the W League one of the top 3/4 women's leagues in the world....he's got absolutely NO chance when our season overlaps with Europe and/or the US. Even if it didn't we'd still be struggling.

We had our chance and blew it. A League was one of the top 3/4 leagues, us and the USA got into women's footy early, Europe was miles behind. 

Even up to last season you could go to a game at Marconi and see multiple internationals from Australia and beyond play. Did Australian media embrace this, no they got excited about a bunch of ex-soccer and basketball players, playing AFL for 6 weeks.

Link to post
52 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We had our chance and blew it. A League was one of the top 3/4 leagues, us and the USA got into women's footy early, Europe was miles behind. 

Even up to last season you could go to a game at Marconi and see multiple internationals from Australia and beyond play. Did Australian media embrace this, no they got excited about a bunch of ex-soccer and basketball players, playing AFL for 6 weeks.

So true isn’t it

Poor from the media but also hamstrung by the FFA. You know the entity doing the most right now to promote the women’s game in Australia?

EA Sports.

They are plastering Sam Kerr on all their FIFA 21 posters. I see it on buses and trams in the city.

Meanwhile I saw an ad with Yeboah at a random suburban bus station in Granville promoting the A-League.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...