Mariners Draw Dulls Finals Hopes

44 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

We looked like we looked before the break. One dimensional (or just lucky) in attack. We still lack creativity in midfield because we let one of our creative midfielders go (and yes I know he was a ‘c***’ but wouldn’t it be handy if abj were still around today) and his replacement got injured (begging the question why we did not recruit a couple of creative players rather than 457 wingers).

The club has also given the main Coaching gig to a guy who is a clueless career assistant-coach at best.

I wish things were different. I really do. That’s not negativity, that’s just the reality.

We looked a bit better when Cox and Schweggler came on, which isn't that suprising, take 2 key imports out of most A League teams and you are left with a bunch of players that run round a lot (and we didn't even manage that)

The fact that a teenage Right Wing Back was our best attacking outlet said it all

Our back three did ok, Tas looked good when he came on, so we are sorted for centre backs 

22 minutes ago, mack said:

Baumjohann had a year to prove himself. Even at SFC the best team in the league he's not having a massive impact and I imagine he's going to get released at the end of the season.

Starts most of their games and there is lots of competition in their midfield.

And the difference is they have creative depth. We have converted wingers.

My point is simply that as much of a dick as he is, our season might have looked different if he had still been around. Better one dick, than none (he says waiting for the obvious Cox jokes to come flying in...)

27 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

In Carlo we trust

Carlo Magnifico.. Carlo Fantastico...

Even he has a fight on his hands if he doesn't get a squad clean out and the funds to rebuild. Dealing with four previous manager's (mostly average) signings doesn't help.

2 hours ago, VedranRozic said:

he club has also given the main Coaching gig to a guy who is a clueless career assistant-coach at best.

This is a major problem. Fans are so quick to right off a manager and we end up sacking them without giving them a go.

Happened with Gombau and people are already doing it for JP. JP has lost 1 game, yes some of the games we have won and drawn ugly, but 1 lose out of 9 is far from terrible.

He hasn't even signed his own players, he is using Babbel's washed up crop.

Give him a chance for gods sake.

12 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

This is a major problem. Fans are so quick to right off a manager and we end up sacking them without giving them a go.

Happened with Gombau and people are already doing it for JP. JP has lost 1 game, yes some of the games we have won and drawn ugly, but 1 lose out of 9 is far from terrible.

Gombau was given plenty of time, he was a dreadful choice for us 

18 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I would agree with you if he was some new coach. I agree they need to be given time. But Its not like he just turned up. He was Babbel’s assistant. He was involved in some of the player purchases, team prep, tactics etc. this is why not much has changed. We simply went from the organ grinder to the monkey.

But hey if we make it to the final I will very happily eat my words. Will be the best meal I’ve had all year.

IMO: I don't think JP will get a fair chance. He only has a one year contract. So I can't see WSW admin allowing him to sign up a whole new squad and then leave (or go back to assistant coach).

I'm expecting that WSW will not play finals in the next season (20/21). What made last night annoying for me was "oh, it'll be a struggle just to beat Central Coast next year".

24 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Gombau was given plenty of time, he was a dreadful choice for us 

lol, got Popovics crop who were set up to play a completely different style of football to what he likes his team to play.

When he signed players to suit his style of play, he got sacked.

Yes he lost the dressing room by the sounds of it, but it was a team that wasn't even really for him in the first place.

19 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

I would agree with you if he was some new coach. I agree they need to be given time. But Its not like he just turned up. He was Babbel’s assistant. He was involved in some of the player purchases, team prep, tactics etc. this is why not much has changed. We simply went from the organ grinder to the monkey.

But hey if we make it to the final I will very happily eat my words. Will be the best meal I’ve had all year.

Did Babbel's assistant make his team lose like 7-8 games in a row? 

Sure JP hasn't completely fixed the team at all, but he must have done something to only lose 1 game in 8 right?

4 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

lol, got Popovics crop who were set up to play a completely different style of football to what he likes his team to play.

When he signed players to suit his style of play, he got sacked.

Yes he lost the dressing room by the sounds of it, but it was a team that wasn't even really for him in the first place.

His job was to win games of football and to bring through the youth he did neither

Gombau managed 22 games. Won 7, Drew 5, Lost 10. He ignored the youth and lost the dressing room.

Babbel managed 41 games. Won 10, Drew 8, Lost 23. He played youth sometimes, seemed to have a reasonable relationship with the players but was one of the worst managers in A-league history.

Of managers that were in charge for more than 30 A-league games there are only Stajcic, Ron Smith (Glory), Tony Walmsley (CCM) and the worst of them all Okon (CCM) below him.

My feeling why Babbel got twice the amount of time was that the club had invested a lot more time and effort to try and find the right one, and still got it wrong. They were praying he'd come good to save face. After Popa ****ed us over, Gombau was a quick appointment and pissed too many people off.

I reckon we're going to need at least 7 points from our last 4 games.

If we win our game vs WU then we would need at least a win and a draw from other three.

If we lose to WU we'd need to win all 3 of the other games.

After that trash served up vs the Mariners why would we be favourites to even take a point against any of them except Victory.

30 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Did Babbel's assistant make his team lose like 7-8 games in a row? 

Sure JP hasn't completely fixed the team at all, but he must have done something to only lose 1 game in 8 right?

You need to check your facts bud. Babbel never lost 7-8 in a row this season. And as JP was part of the coaching group YES he does bear some responsibility for the past failure.

As for his current record, a few wins against easy beat teams (with the exception of The smurfs which Babbel also managed) is not a season turn around. There is a reason we are 9th and JP is part of it.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

Gombau ignored the youth.

Wanderers fans being well known as tremendously patient fans who don't at all whinge about rotation and not playing the strongest lineup in every game even if it's a game in Perth 3 days after we played a game in Wellington.

Especially in seasons where we're trying to sneak into the finals.

Considering the "youth" that were around during that time, there would have been riots if he was using Lachlan Scott instead of Riera or using Grozos & Majok in the starting lineups instead of Roly & Ikon. He also put Baccus back into midfield instead of fullback where Popa wanted him to play and had begun to bring Aspro back into the squad from banishment until his ACL injury. He also gave Tass his debut and probably would have used him as much if not more than Babbel did in 18/19 (and Tass is still very young for a central defender even now).

9 minutes ago, mack said:

Wanderers fans being well known as tremendously patient fans who don't at all whinge about rotation and not playing the strongest lineup in every game even if it's a game in Perth 3 days after we played a game in Wellington.

Agree with everything you wrote chief. But I was referring to the reports he never even attended youth games. If true, it's a new level of contempt for our supposed next gen.

17 minutes ago, VedranRozic said:

You need to check your facts bud. Babbel never lost 7-8 in a row this season. And as JP was part of the coaching group YES he does bear some responsibility for the past failure.

As for his current record, a few wins against easy beat teams (with the exception of The smurfs which Babbel also managed) is not a season turn around. There is a reason we are 9th and JP is part of it.

Meant to say he went on a 7 game winless run where he got 2 draws and 5 losses.

That team is Babbel's not JP, and at the end of the day, Babbel's tactics, formation etc. Was it JP's idea not to sub on any players against WU and then concede in the last few minutes because all our players were completely gassed? 

Babbel then got sacked and has a dummy spit, saying Australian players are technically poor, lack drive etc (he is not wrong). But he never came up with any solutions and threw everyone under the bus.

Sure JP hasn't won every game, but how are you going to say he is a "clueless career assistant" when he has clearly helped the team to a degree where they can grind out results against decent teams. He has lost 1 game using players from a team that is from Markus Babbel.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Why didn't we sack Babbel last season then? 

We probably should have but I think the club had invested so much in him they were desperate for it to work 

I think JP will do ok

Edited by StringerBellend
9 hours ago, mack said:

Been hearing that for 4 years.

As a former panthers fan who waited 25 years for them to win a championship,  4 years is nothing.     :P

46 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Russel is one of, if not the best crosser of a ball in the aleague. We really need to hold onto him.

McGowan and Jurman are still doing nothing for me. Piss one or both of them off and let Tass step up and get experience. 

I'm getting a bit fed up of the McGowan/Jurman/Ziegler combination at the back. All 3 are slow and offer little going forward. Piss off 2 of them and bring in Tass (who is much more mobile) and an additional midfielder.