Jump to content
mack

Perth Blast WSW Finals Hopes

Recommended Posts

The Wanderers aimed to keep their finals hopes alive against Perth Glory on Tuesday night but failed badly, losing 3-1 after being over-run late in the 2nd half, as a Mitch Duke goal was rubbed out with Perth scoring 3 through Ivan Franjic, Neil Kilkenny and James Meredith.

With one enforced change after a horror collision against Wellington, Nicolai Muller made way for Kwame Yeboah, the rest of the lineup unchanged. The opening stages were timid & probing, the Wanderers having the only shots, one long shot from Matt Jurman and a later glancing header from Mitch Duke that sailed over the crossbar. Bruno Fornaroli was unlucky not to open the scoring in the 25th minute. Kristian Popovic launched a cross from the right flank that Fornaroli dove to hit a side volley, he made enough contact to knock it back the way it came and it rebounded off the crossbar and out.

Midway through the half the game had settled into a routine of attack, counter-attack and counter-counter-attack, Popovic continued to provide decent service to Fornaroli while the Wanderers attack came mostly through Keanu Baccus and Mitch Duke, but was missing the final pass to unlock the Perth defence. Jordan O'Doherty drew a yellow card for Juande, setting up a good set piece opportunity 25 yards out from goal, O'Doherty then placed the free kick on the head of Duke and the ball flew off target for a goal kick. Perth had their own set piece opportunity 5 minutes from the break, a failed clearance fell to Tomi Mrcela and he blazed over the bar from the penalty spot. Patrick Ziegler picked up a yellow card for persistent fouling on Bruno Fornaroli.

Right on the half-time whistle Fornaroli butchered a chance he should have scored. In a bonus 10 seconds of stoppage time Fornaroli was clear unmarked in the penalty area, he recieved a cutback and instead of slamming the ball home as you might expect from the marquee striker, he fluffed his lines and dribbled the ball into the arms of Prendergast. At half-time Perth replaced Popovic with Jake Brimmer and the Wanderers called in O'Doherty with Pirmin Schwegler taking his place in midfield.

The Wanderers were lucky to escape without conceding a penalty when Patrick Ziegler was sliding into a challenge and the ball hit his arm, it lead to a counter-attack for Kwame Yeboah that ended when Schwegler smashed the ball into the stands. Dylan McGowan gave away a foul & copped a yellow card for a rough challenge on a rampant Fornaroli. Grant found the ball on his feet and smashed towards goal but it was blocked by Keanu Baccus. Western Sydney's press stole the ball from Perth outside their penalty area, only for Georgievski to shoot on goal instead of a cut-back for the open Simon Cox.

Perth made their pressure felt on the scoreboard in lucky fashion. Patrick Ziegler failed to clear the ball, it dropped to Brimmer and he launched a strike at goal, only to have it deflect into the path of Ivan Franjic, despite a heavy collision with Prendergast he managed to slide the ball under the keeper for 1-0. Georgievski was disappointing as his poor decision to call the keeper into the action lead to the goal being scored.

The Wanderers hit back immediately, Ziegler starting an attack down the right, he found Baccus and he laid it on for Georgievski and the fullback found Duke playing with his back to goal. He rolled his defender and slid into a shot that beat both the cover defence and Liam Reddy in the Perth goal.

Dylan McGowan forgot he wasn't a goalkeeper with 15 minutes to go, falling to the turf inside the penalty area and blocking a cutback with both hands. Despite acting like he had been hit in the head the referee wasn't fooled and pointed to the spot, Neil Kilkenny fired past Prendergast despite him picking the right way.

A series of substitutions did nothing to help the Wanderers cause. Perth pulled even further ahead on the 85th minute. James Meredith securing the win with a perfect long range blast that whistled into the side netting. Fornaroli found a flying Brimmer and he beat three Wanderers defenders, he fired back to the edge of the area, Fornaroli continued his poor night in the striking sense by missing it completely. All that did was let the ball roll into the path of Meredith and his left foot strike made it 3-1.

Nothing the Wanderers did in the remaining time made much of an impression on the Perth defence and the visitors cruised to a 3-1 win that locked them into 5th place, while for Western Sydney it leaves them requiring two wins from their remaining games to have any hope of making the finals, not that this side looks like winning two in a row at this stage in any case.

The Wanderers play Western United at Kogarah Oval on Friday 7th August, kick-off at 7:30PM, do note that this match may be closed to the public.


View full article

Share this post


Link to post

Remember when we had players like La Rocca, Poljak, Mooy, Ono and Andreu in the midfield? Now we have two squaddies who wouldn’t get a start in any other team.

Probably not entirely fair to target just them, considering every single player on the pitch was garbage.

Share this post


Link to post

I can see the team winning the next two. The way Victory has been playing is woeful so that'll give the team some hopes.

I originally had this game down as a draw. Not the best result tonight and finals seem to be slipping away now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Remember all of the talk back in September last year about how important this reboot season is at Wanderland0.2...build the crowd back..get some of that first 3 season vibe back...seems like a life time ago.

All to do as a club on and off the pitch.

 

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I can see the team winning the next two. The way Victory has been playing is woeful so that'll give the team some hopes.

I originally had this game down as a draw. Not the best result tonight and finals seem to be slipping away now.

I can understand why but I'm still a bit disappointed Lopar went home. Eff Covid....lol

Can't see us playing finals tbh....Pre-season starts now....lol

:D

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I can see the team winning the next two. The way Victory has been playing is woeful so that'll give the team some hopes.

I originally had this game down as a draw. Not the best result tonight and finals seem to be slipping away now.

Ty is that you???

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dugongs said:

Remember when we had players like La Rocca, Poljak, Mooy, Ono and Andreu in the midfield? Now we have two squaddies who wouldn’t get a start in any other team.

Probably not entirely fair to target just them, considering every single player on the pitch was garbage.

Personally, I feel the midfield is fine, it's the defence that causes issues. 

- Ziegler is below-average and is a wasting a foreign spot. 
- McGowan is Hamill 2.0 is giving away too much penalties.

If I was in JP's shoes, I would say those two have left the club on a mutual termination agreement and what JP needs to do is change the formation to a back 4, this back 3 line-up (some argue it's a back 5) is not working and hasn't worked all season. it's cost some games.

Edited by MathyouWSW

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Personally, I feel the midfield is fine, it's the defence that causes issues. 

Everything comes from the bad formation. This 5-2-2-1 is just awful, it doesn't allow easy creation of the basic football passing shape (the Triangle) and causes us to have too many central players, and not enough width, and when we do play with width it leaves us open in the middle and on the opposite flank for counters.

Add in that Jurman hasn't give a **** for months, McGowan is one of the worst defenders in the A-League and Ziegler is a shadow of his former self (thanks to the Club destroying his knee with bad rehab) that makes it even worse.

The basic two man defensive midfield of Baccus & O'Doherty is 'okay', but further up the pitch we have Cox & Duke constantly running into each other because they have no set area, and we're always failing to put people in the box because the attackers are getting sucked up the pitch and pushed wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Personally, I feel the midfield is fine, it's the defence that causes issues. 

- Ziegler is below-average and is a wasting a foreign spot. 
- McGowan is Hamill 2.0 is giving away too much penalties.

If I was in JP's shoes, I would say those two have left the club on a mutual termination agreement and what JP needs to do is change the formation to a back 4, this back 3 line-up (some argue it's a back 5) is not working and hasn't worked all season. it's cost some games.

Agree completely in regards to Ziegler, who spends more time sooking at the ref, and McGowan who is almost making Hamill look like a competent defender.

However, Baccus and O’Doherty have neither the creativity nor the experience to  effectively boss a midfield. Baccus makes too many stupid decisions and O’Doherty loses possession too often. This problem is compounded by having our three forward players basically play in a tight line with no width. Our play is so predictable, and Perth figured it out within ten minutes, nullifying Russell and Georgevski. Hell, our most creative player at the moment is a teenage wingback who tries hard but is hardly a world beater. That is a damning indictment on the current state of our midfield.

 

Edited by Dugongs

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mack said:

Everything comes from the bad formation. This 5-2-2-1 is just awful, it doesn't allow easy creation of the basic football passing shape (the Triangle) and causes us to have too many central players, and not enough width, and when we do play with width it leaves us open in the middle and on the opposite flank for counters.

Add in that Jurman hasn't give a **** for months, McGowan is one of the worst defenders in the A-League and Ziegler is a shadow of his former self (thanks to the Club destroying his knee with bad rehab) that makes it even worse.

The basic two man defensive midfield of Baccus & O'Doherty is 'okay', but further up the pitch we have Cox & Duke constantly running into each other because they have no set area, and we're always failing to put people in the box because the attackers are getting sucked up the pitch and pushed wide.

This is a really good analysis. Switch to either a 4-2-3-1. Drop Ziegler and McGowan, and bring in Tass. Let Cox play behind Duke with Kamau and Yeboah or Adam out wide. Not sure how creative Cox is but he’s probably our best option in the hole at the moment. 

Edited by Dugongs

Share this post


Link to post

Who cares anymore honestly.

Throw in the towel and give the licence back to FFA considering they don't want our fans anyway.

Sick of trying to justify that we aren't as bad as we really are.

We are honestly atrocious.

Clubs glory days are over and we will never recover to what we once were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Yes we have some ordinary players but anyone who thinks JP is a head coach is kidding themselves.  Formation is terrible with an U6 bunch in the middle of the park.  Against CCM we are getting caned in the middle and everyone could see we were going to concede and needed legs and he waits until we conceded before making a change even though we are allowed 5 subs.  Tonight we score down DG side and DG's wing is looking dangerous, Tate has just messed up 4 crosses in a row (no harm to hiim he is a kid who has played two games in 4 days) and is struggling and so he takes off DG to put Kamau on who is awful down that left side and then we have nothing left or right as well as concede two down the left.

Edited by scarcev

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Who cares anymore honestly.

Throw in the towel and give the licence back to FFA considering they don't want our fans anyway.

Sick of trying to justify that we aren't as bad as we really are.

We are honestly atrocious.

Clubs glory days are over and we will never recover to what we once were. 

I care. A bit harsh tbh but I do understand why.

At the end of the day it boils down to recruitment and performances and that responsibility lies totally with the club and management, coaches and players. Fans will turn up to see effort.

Over the past four seasons I think Wanderers fans have been extremely patient with the club but that patience is quickly running out for some. I expect a fall in member numbers next season due in part to Covid and fans not having finances,and fans just walking away. Sad isn't it.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, sonar said:

I care. A bit harsh tbh but I do understand why.

At the end of the day it boils down to recruitment and performances and that responsibility lies totally with the club and management, coaches and players. Fans will turn up to see effort.

Over the past four seasons I think Wanderers fans have been extremely patient with the club but that patience is quickly running out for some. I expect a fall in member numbers next season due in part to Covid and fans not having finances,and fans just walking away. Sad isn't it.

Sad that the people high up seem to only care about one thing and that's money.

Share this post


Link to post

SUCCESSFUL SEASON in my eyes 

Owner/CEO , i give them a 10/10 of running the club into the ground 

 

Thoughts on the team from top to bottom......Easy!!!! RUBBISH , piss them all off 

 

New stadium fixed everything 

 

Cant wait for next season , who's the next set of jokers coming in , i cant wait to see , prob old mate Dickson Cider who once trained near messi 

 

FREE THE RED&BLACK 

 

FREE THE WEST 

 

JTOUT

 

#SUCCESSFULSEASON

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Who cares anymore honestly.

Throw in the towel and give the licence back to FFA considering they don't want our fans anyway.

Sick of trying to justify that we aren't as bad as we really are.

We are honestly atrocious.

Clubs glory days are over and we will never recover to what we once were. 

Welcome to the dark side.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, 1988banana said:

SUCCESSFUL SEASON in my eyes 

Owner/CEO , i give them a 10/10 of running the club into the ground 

 

Thoughts on the team from top to bottom......Easy!!!! RUBBISH , piss them all off 

 

New stadium fixed everything 

 

Cant wait for next season , who's the next set of jokers coming in , i cant wait to see , prob old mate Dickson Cider who once trained near messi 

 

FREE THE RED&BLACK 

 

FREE THE WEST 

 

JTOUT

 

#SUCCESSFULSEASON

8zBdOsx.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, sonar said:

I care. A bit harsh tbh but I do understand why.

At the end of the day it boils down to recruitment and performances and that responsibility lies totally with the club and management, coaches and players. Fans will turn up to see effort.

Over the past four seasons I think Wanderers fans have been extremely patient with the club but that patience is quickly running out for some. I expect a fall in member numbers next season due in part to Covid and fans not having finances,and fans just walking away. Sad isn't it.

Really?? Pulling the covid line , brother we're rubbish, we've been rubbish for a long time , owner/ceo seem to think its ok to hang out at the bottom of the ladder every year

People won't come and watch rubbish 

 

Ill tell you now , melb victory won't be hanging at the bottom next season but we will 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 1988banana said:

Really?? Pulling the covid line , brother we're rubbish, we've been rubbish for a long time , owner/ceo seem to think its ok to hang out at the bottom of the ladder every year

People won't come and watch rubbish 

 

Ill tell you now , melb victory won't be hanging at the bottom next season but we will 

I never said we weren't....lol....and if you read what I posted the blames rest squarely with management. 

My point was we have been shyte for four years,people lose patience and when you add that ( Covid ) to the fact that people who have lost jobs and won't have finances the decision is made all the more easy to let a membership go. 

....."At the end of the day it boils down to recruitment and performances and that responsibility lies totally with the club and management, coaches and players. Fans will turn up to see effort.".....

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, 1988banana said:

Ill tell you now , melb victory won't be hanging at the bottom next season but we will 

I doubt it...Melbourne are in all sorts of trouble as they have 12 players off contract at the end of this season and only 7 signed for next season: 

Off contract is: Acton, Aithu, Barnett, Carrigan, Kamsoba, Kirdar, Lesiotis, Nabbout, Roux, Sutton, Traore and Gallifuoco (Gallifuoco rumoured to leave Victory for Indian club FC Goa).
Signed for next season: Basha, Broxham, Donachie, Hope, Kruse, Lauton & Rojas


Then again, Victory could have a whole brand new team next season just like what happened to Roar this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, mack said:

play 6 at the back

We could play 10 at the back and still find ways to lose....lol

Share this post


Link to post

I was one of the brave 1466 souls who tracked it out tonight. It’s funny with them lack of atmosphere you can hear the angry people in the crowd clear as 😂

as Mack said the formation just clearly sucks I have NFI what it is and I’ve been around football for 30 years I don’t know what we are doing at times 

another thing I read Tate and his 4 **** crosses I’m sorry but I just can’t accept this f your tired or not you cannot be a professional footballer and hit 4 **** crosses in the space of 30 seconds it’s just criminal 

I honestly couldn’t care if every player on the field didn’t come back next year even players like Duke who has been fondly loved by us all was woeful some of his touches were criminal.

our imports are just **** 

cox is a shorter version of Meir he can’t **** run he has a great touch but he never looks look like scoring unless it’s close range finish 

zeigler OMG HOW DOES Tass not start 

even schwegler seems disinterested 

as for the youngsters baccus YOU ARE NOWHERE near ready for Europe’s you lose concentration and when Fornaroli flattened you with a small shove it said it all your physical not ready 

Odoherty meh I don’t see you are a starter tidy player very little influence - where is sullivan?

another season another failure

i can’t see any season being any different 

sigh 😔 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I  can’t see any season being any different 

sigh 😔 

Ahhh well.

Only 3 more years of sh*t and we'll have reached the 7 years in the doldrums that SFC supporters experienced. :pardon:

I'm not saying it's easy to endure...but....:unknw:

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I was one of the brave 1466 souls who tracked it out tonight. It’s funny with them lack of atmosphere you can hear the angry people in the crowd clear as 😂

as Mack said the formation just clearly sucks I have NFI what it is and I’ve been around football for 30 years I don’t know what we are doing at times 

another thing I read Tate and his 4 **** crosses I’m sorry but I just can’t accept this f your tired or not you cannot be a professional footballer and hit 4 **** crosses in the space of 30 seconds it’s just criminal 

I honestly couldn’t care if every player on the field didn’t come back next year even players like Duke who has been fondly loved by us all was woeful some of his touches were criminal.

our imports are just **** 

cox is a shorter version of Meir he can’t **** run he has a great touch but he never looks look like scoring unless it’s close range finish 

zeigler OMG HOW DOES Tass not start 

even schwegler seems disinterested 

as for the youngsters baccus YOU ARE NOWHERE near ready for Europe’s you lose concentration and when Fornaroli flattened you with a small shove it said it all your physical not ready 

Odoherty meh I don’t see you are a starter tidy player very little influence - where is sullivan?

another season another failure

i can’t see any season being any different 

sigh 😔 

Is there anything happening in the RBB?

PS Good on those of you attending! :good:

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, wendybr said:

Is there anything happening in the RBB?

PS Good on those of you attending! :good:

Yeh alots happening , big effort from them 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I’m not even sure active support is permitted stadium security is pretty vigilant in ensuring we are following protocols pertaining to safe social distancing. 
 

but Wendy there is zero rbb consolidated presence - perhaps they are all spread out across and enjoying a seat after years of fine work! 

Edited by GunnerWanderer

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...