Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

In the 7:30 report or could have been the ABC news... anyWho Andrew Wilkie and Tim Castelo were talking about the NSW inquiry into Crown for their gambling license...

Both discussed that Victoria in the main but also Perth was were Crown had for want of a better term been worst and heaps of issues and complaints ignored or put under the carpet... it took a NSW inquiry for Crown's new license in NSW to actually hold Crowns feet to the fire... they said ICAC which is only in NSW had far reaching effects.... 

Praise if praise is the right word for simply doing the right thing... but its good to see a Packer cannot totally get his own way in Sydney... and compared to various Vic & WA gov's over the years its a victory of sorts 

9 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Looks like ICAC needs to investigate Dutton

Peter Dutton slashed funding for highly regarded community safety projects. Then he selected his own list to fund http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/peter-dutton-cut-funding-safety-projects-selected-his-own-list/13126834

We need a Federal ICAC and for each state to also have won...

Tis amazing what ICAC has uncovered over the years.... 

Agree if this happened in NSW then Dutton would have ICAC on his case... 

Trouble neither party when in power set it up... 

In one of those amusing karma things one of the first thing ICAC did was to get Nick Greiner sacked and the irony was Nick set ICAC up... and by todays standards Nicks offense would be minor compared to Dutton and SoMo election fund shifting of community grants... 

Seems Google have struck deals with both 9 & 7, to pay them 30 million each for use of their content... FB still holding out...if they get similar amounts from FB thats 60 million to keep journalist employed... MUDoch is still to do a deal..

Assume 10, SBS & ABC can also negotiate deals... gotta imagine between both Google & FB, across 7, 9, 10, ABC, SBS, News 150 to 200 million to support local media...

Have read the world is watching these outcomes... this may-not be perfect but its way better than it was before... 

List of Top  Search Engines in The World

Google. Google Search Engine is the best search engine in the world and it is also one of most popular products from Google. ...

Bing. Bing is Microsoft's answer to Google and it was launched in 2009. ...

Yahoo. ...

Baidu. ...

AOL. ...

Ask.com. ...

Excite. ...

DuckDuckGo.

Will all internet search engines have to pay $m's or are media and news organisations who get listed for free via search results out to gouge just the richest and biggest...?

Edited by sonar
7 hours ago, sonar said:

List of Top  Search Engines in The World

Google. Google Search Engine is the best search engine in the world and it is also one of most popular products from Google. ...

Bing. Bing is Microsoft's answer to Google and it was launched in 2009. ...

Yahoo. ...

Baidu. ...

AOL. ...

Ask.com. ...

Excite. ...

DuckDuckGo.

Will all internet search engines have to pay $m's or are media and news organisations who get listed for free via search results out to gouge just the richest and biggest...?

Would love to know the answer to your question... my very limited understanding is the government is putting thu legislation that big teck companies have to pay media outlets for the use of their article / vids / stories ...

What and who is big teck and who are the media companies... it appears to have as close to total support as possible with even the Greens backing the law changes...

SoMo has asked as far as I am aware Google & FB to negotiate directly with Australian media companies to date only Google has signed off.

This is my GUESS of who it will apply to

9 / Fairfax

ABC

SBS

News Limited

To date

9 ...  30 million from Google

7 ... 30 million from Google....

If Google average say 20 million over the remaining 4 thats another 80 million.

Then FB has to sign off if the figures are similar i.e 60 million to date plus another 80 million... so 140 from FB & 140 from Google thats 280 million.

280 million seems way to high but maybe it could happen...

Your question about the others ... you assume they will pay the MS CEO has already said Bing is willing to pay...

All thats publicly availably is Goole has signed off for 30 million each with 7 & 9... where it goes from here ... would love more info..

16 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Wonders aloud if Starlink will be bigger in Australia than the NBN ... 

Bigger than the NBN satellite service isn't likely to happen. It has an expensive sign up and is in the higher range of costs compared to NBN Sat monthly fee. To get a benefit over NBN Sat you'd need to be a real power user but not enough of one to want to move to the huge part of the country that has one of the other connection methods.

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Monopolistic arrogance at its finest - they're just terrified that the EU etc will follow Australia's lead and their free ride will be over. Will be interesting to see how the US lawmakers respond as well - the anti-trust systems in the US are way more effective than here.

I have seen some community groups - indigenous groups for one - who use facebook to share important info. If you've spent years building up networks for that purpose, it's bad news.

But.... FB manipulates what is seen. The government plan to make them pay for directing people to sources that are already on the web is dumb, but, in general, DIFFERENT media groups - or a wide array of them - getting more money from somewhere for their content is a good thing.

If people do use FB for news then it's a bit of a dud move though isn't it because those people will just have to shift elsewhere.

They killed off lots of stuff that wasn't news related. Heaps of community message boards, the BOM, stuff to do with charities, the Newcastle Jets facebook page (but not the Mariners one), the AFLW page (but not the men's AFL one). They tried to make the argument that the governments definition of news was too vague so they had to switch everything off, although some of the above examples look hard to explain. It also raises questions around how they struggle to stop misinformation campaigns around the pandemic and vaccinations but when they want to make a political point they'll block everything.

Yeah that's it.

Like I feel for groups that genuinely use it as an effective tool for communication, but also, it's a dodgy as **** private company (like you say, their supposed inability to shut down hate speech is being made a mockery of here), if you are dependent on it, well, you kind of can't be or shouldn't be. There's always a risk that something happens and they just go.

16 minutes ago, marron said:

Yeah that's it.

Like I feel for groups that genuinely use it as an effective tool for communication, but also, it's a dodgy as **** private company (like you say, their supposed inability to shut down hate speech is being made a mockery of here), if you are dependent on it, well, you kind of can't be or shouldn't be. There's always a risk that something happens and they just go.

I haven’t seen anything on how Facebook have defined “news”. I don’t care if general news and media from other sources is blocked because I kinda think people should work a little harder to find out about news rather than depend on what pops in front of their face on their Facebook. But if it’s blocking community sites just trying to keep people connected that don’t define themselves as current affair type news then that’s unfortunate. 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/media-bargaining-code-will-entrench-murdoch-dominance-rudd-20210219-p573xn.html 

I agree with Kev, but by no means an expert on this subject. Happy to hear arguments

I guess I might be in the minority but I feel the 'pay for content' is about the government facilitating NewsCorp revenue than anything else. 

I am open to arguments but this feels like a Murdoch play, not about Media revenue fairness . I feel the big picture isn't being seen. Then again, maybe I am a cynical ol thang!

3 minutes ago, EmMac said:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/media-bargaining-code-will-entrench-murdoch-dominance-rudd-20210219-p573xn.html 

I agree with Kev, but by no means an expert on this subject. Happy to hear arguments

I guess I might be in the minority but I feel the 'pay for content' is about the government facilitating NewsCorp revenue than anything else. 

I am open to arguments but this feels like a Murdoch play, not about Media revenue fairness . I feel the big picture isn't being seen. Then again, maybe I am a cynical ol thang!

They ( media companies like News Ltd....etc ) are losing advertising revenue and customers big time to the internet.  They want the money.

I think that's correct too em.

here's the thing.

I think journalism needs revenue. the more power news has, the more imperative it is that other sources survive, and they too need that revenue.

so sure it's a play by news. what we need AS WELL as securing revenue for media organizations is to stamp the **** down on burgeoning monopolies.

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic