Local Current Affairs Thread (not Wendy's)

wendybr

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

The facebook thing is great for Morrison as it taking up space that would otherwise be devoted to his appalling response to sexual assault within his government.

What sort of out of touch nobhead needs his wife to tell him that sexual assault is bad 

And kind of nobheads rely on Facebook for their news.

While I have some sympathy for Rudd and Turnbull in their crusade against Murdoch and News Ltd, they did eff all about it when they were PM. They were quite happy to "drop" exclusive news to them if it suited their agenda. . They were happy to do business with Rupert when it suited and crying crocodile tears now when they have no power. The time to do something was when they were in the big chair.....:nono:

4 minutes ago, sonar said:

While I have some sympathy for Rudd and Turnbull in their crusade against Murdoch and News Ltd, they did eff all about it when they were PM. They were quite happy to "drop" exclusive news to them if it suited their agenda. . They were happy to do business with Rupert when it suited and crying crocodile tears now when they have no power. The time to do something was when they were in the big chair.....:nono:

Agree with the sentiment. But the reality is you either play the game with Newscorp, or they absolutely roast you.

It's ****ed, but pollies have to tow the line.

18 minutes ago, Carns said:

Agree with the sentiment. But the reality is you either play the game with Newscorp, or they absolutely roast you.

It's ****ed, but pollies have to tow the line.

I do get that but sometimes you have to show a little courage in politics and it also begs the question are the majority of people so open to manipulation that a country is run by a media baron not it's elected representatives. ?

Edited by sonar
2 minutes ago, sonar said:

and it also begs the question are the majority of people so open to manipulation that a country is run by a media baron not it's elected representatives. ?

Yes...probably.

16 hours ago, sonar said:

True... but more than likely never be voted in... and if in never win a second term... so hold true to your principals and never have the power to change things... its a catch 22... 

The issue is not so much the power of the media ... its the concentration  of power... further that a trusted news source abuses its power by telling  lies and spreading miss information... 

Recent example, Sky News Australia, blamed wind farms for the Texan power problems...

Despite

Wind only accounting for 8% of total power and only a small fraction of that 8% was not working.

That gas which makes up most of the power supply froze in the pipes because as had been advised prior to laying and many times since the pipes were not layed deep enough.

That the poles and wire had almost no investment in decades and collapsed . 

The crazy climate deniers now believe it was alternative energy supplies that caused it...  

How the people who report this actually sleep at nigh I can't work out... they just spread total BS which I am sure they know is BS....

On 20/02/2021 at 10:42 PM, sonar said:

Rudd played the game. He was once stated in the interview to win election you need 2 of the 3 power brokers to win an election: Finance, Murdoch (media) and Mining.

He had the finance sector on his side and his policies were always going against the mining sector so he needed Murdoch to get in. He personally visited him so that he could get some more positive media exposure to the Labour party, lots of people within his team advised him against it but he knew he needed the media to beat Howard and lets face it worked. But once he started he didn't give much to the press like the Howard government did, so the press was quick to turn against him after 12 months or so. That's why we have Rudd the crazy man stories for Daily Telegraph and the Australian that continue to this day.

Same with Turnbull the moment he started with his climate policies he had mining and the media against him, along with how volatile the Liberals have been since Howard it was enough to push him out. The moment he did something out of the interest of Murdoch and mining they were quick to kick him out and there anough Liberals there that want to be the PM.

Is it right? absolutely not but its the cold hard reality that we have become an oligarchy with those three sectors really holding the power and required to become and stay as a PM in this country.

So any comments on the now-legislated $25-00 per week increase in the dole? Talk about Scrooges! Say you are going to do something about the appallingly low rate of the normal (pre-Covid) Jobseeker payment, then drip-feed the media with a "permanent increase", then make it so little that the effect on most of the poor sods who have to claim it will be marginal at best......Of course now they will trot out all the usual things about how the Jobseeker payment isn't a right, how a job is the best form of welfare and how they don't expect many people to be on it for that long. Seriously! Yes there are a small percentage of people who will try and rort the system - nowhere near as many as the white-collar criminals who make squillions through tax dodges or by setting up companies to rort schemes like the NDIS mind you - but most people on Jobseeker do not want to be on it, many are over 50yrs old and struggling to retrain and many have mental and physical illnesses that preclude them from working. It just emphasizes the meanness that dominates in this country far too often these days. Fair go my ar$e

Rumours Nats putting out feelers for Kelly to join them.... and here was I thinking at the next election he is gone... 

Prepared to take a bet on this...

My predication is after he leaves parliament Craig Kelly will join Fox sorry Sky News as a commentator  

4 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Rumours Nats putting out feelers for Kelly to join them.... and here was I thinking at the next election he is gone... 

Prepared to take a bet on this...

My predication is after he leaves parliament Craig Kelly will join Fox sorry Sky News as a commentator  

Isn't his seat in the Shire. He's gone they will vote Lib. He'll end up in the Senate

Kelly IMO is a perfect example of what we don't need in our leaders.... he in my world is in rare company in that I think he is a fool when it comes to economics but thinks he is a god and also he simply says and does things I find offensive... 

Over the years my guess is maybe 20 to 30 elected members I have felt like this about ... Joe and his Nats mob in QLD are up there... Some in the last NSW Lab gov.... 

From Gough to Howard, we had IMO good to excellent gov, the worst being the Fraser years... the best being Hawke and then Howard... 

But Kelly like """Please Explain""" and the nut jobs in northern QLD are .... in a class of there own for both incompetence and their constant questions to any expert that questions what they want to be true...  

News support all these folk and without the lies and miss information by News I honestly believe non of these people would be elected... 

Edited by Midfielder

Craig Kelly is quiet powerful at this moment wouldn't you say? He has sway to what policies will be passed through. Not sure if that is good or bad considering that American tin foil nutjob mentality he brings to the parliament. 

22 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Craig Kelly is quiet powerful at this moment wouldn't you say? He has sway to what policies will be passed through. Not sure if that is good or bad considering that American tin foil nutjob mentality he brings to the parliament. 

I wouldn't say that he is "quiet" :acute:. He votes with Lib/Nats anyway so not much will change as I can't see him voting with labor/greens.

3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I wouldn't say that he is "quiet" :acute:. He votes with Lib/Nats anyway so not much will change as I can't see him voting with labor/greens.

True he will vote with Libs and Nats but can abstain if its something he doesn't like. Libs have the bare minimum majority at 76 seats if even one decides to go awol it makes hard for the Libs to pass their legislations

No but concern would be he would favour more ruthless legislation with property developments that favour banks. But I would say he would abstain if its anything to do with a vaccine or COVID policy

Just on the teck thing... still not sure how it works but it seems good from what I have read,

Google have made deals with, Nine / Faifax, 7 West, News, ACM, and in negotiation with SBS & ABC...

FB, have agree but have had some rule changes made and FB have a month to do deals...