Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

22 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

What scared me was the lack of support for either major party.... meaning more than likely One Nation & The Shooters Party will gain more power and influence especially given they will enjoy support from the right media...

In the Armageddon threat on page 87, I posted about how so many poor people and small business people, struggling had the second Bluesfest festival cancelled... because on 1 case of cov who had been to a local party and been locally shopping... that took according to the ABC 145 million out of the region...

In part I posted... 

The ALP IMO are kinda lost in how to deal with its say inner city green voters and outer suburb working lower and middle class voters...

The LIBS IMO are kinda lost between their Small L say middle right, to their far right carbon, conspiracy theory voters ...

The end result is that between 29% & 33% of voters trust neither...

All this is yelled loudly by talk back and News in particular constantly screaming the sky is falling... and everything they say and everything they do is wrong..

Further debate as I understand it is becoming increasingly difficult as applying say an equity position that well that person is not always right and some things they do are wrong ... but they are achieving a lot in areas I want...

Elon Musk is the perfect example, openly opposed Cov lock downs as it hurt his business... equally no one has dome more to shift the market to electric cars, and the work he is doing with Solar City to replace carbon is again world class .... Andrew Forrest in Australia is making massive investments in green energy and green manufacturing but is a very hard business person...

I would take the Shooters over one nation or even Labour as an alternative to the Nats, hell even in Queensland you would take the Katter party over the Nats or One nation. Helen Dalton for shooters and fishers at state level has done a lot in terms of trying to overturn the Water and Rural NSW corruption and going against the Nats. You know your doing something right if the Nats are doing everything they can to undermine you over a Labour candidate. 

The general consensus seems to be federally no one likes Scomo but the coalition factions are trying push their golden boi Dutton as the next leader (again) and the general public not taking Albo seriously as an alternative despite the current environment the coalition finds itself in. Interesting times ahead.

3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Will the Feds now tear up the deal for Darwin Ports they signed/allowed. ?

Edited by sonar
8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Interesting given that Truss herself has been subject to much ridicule in Covid/Brexit times.

C'mon Malcolm and KRudd!

Hope they can get somewhere outside of politics with the biggest issue that they could achieve progress with when inside politics!

As Scott Morrison struggles with 2050, climate leaders up the ante for 2030
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-23/scott-morrison-struggles-2050-climate-leaders-up-the-ante/100089318

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

C'mon Malcolm and KRudd!

Hope they can get somewhere outside of politics with the biggest issue that they could achieve progress with when inside politics!

As Scott Morrison struggles with 2050, climate leaders up the ante for 2030
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-23/scott-morrison-struggles-2050-climate-leaders-up-the-ante/100089318

You can tell Biden is in Scomo ear because he has done a big U-turn from we don't need net zero admissions to.... Considering it

1 hour ago, Bones said:

Meh, Krudd and Turnbull only care about themselves.

Taxes won't fix climate change, governments waste the money on bureaucracy. Private investment will get better results.

Morrison's right.

The Universities and certain private business are already looking at green alternatives. An example is UNSW research into green steel against coal. Its still new tech but it is already beating Coal products, so our renewables.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/11/green-steel-industry-could-secure-jobs-future-for-australias-coalmining-heartland

If Morrison was a true liberal and protected free market he would be investing in 21st century tech and following the our global trade partners to get in front of this so that can we can continue to be competitive especially when there is demand for it. 

Sun Tech a Singaporean Tech on Solar farms is building a Solar farm in the NT that will power Darwin and Singapore

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-28/nt-government-sun-cable-renewable-energy-project/13098002

There is one problem with this, because its a foreign company Australia doesn't get the full benefit from it and its own by private business instead of the government. Profit will go to that Singapore business instead.

Forget the Climate argument and look at it in a pure profit and economic standpoint and we stand to lose a lot now if the government doesn't act on it than  in 10 years time we may not be competitive in the market that is starting to emerge because we are too slow to recognise there is a market in it. Its not a boast that we could be the Saudi Arabia of renewable energies but we won't be if private companies like this one in Singapore begin acting first.

When the government complains researchers are going China this is the reason. There no backing or funding from the AUS government we lose the research and it goes to the UK, US, Canada, China and India before we ever get to see it if we ever do.

Turnbull and Rudd may divide opinion but they aren't wrong when they criticise Scomo of flat out rejecting to do anything about climate change

7 hours ago, Cynth said:

Lets see if we have an honest Coalition government 

Angus Taylor- no

Christian Porter - no

Peter Dutton- no

Stuart Robert- no

Scott Morrison - absolutely not and a failure at supporting the poor as should anyone who says he is a person of the Christian faith

Leppington land purchase 'gross incompetence or corruption'

Michael McGowan

The federal government’s controversial purchase of the Leppington Triangle site for 10 times its market value was “either gross incompetence or corruption”, a parliamentary inquiry has heard.

In September the auditor general released a damning report revealing ethical failings in the infrastructure department’s purchase of the $30m Leppington Triangle, land the government needs for a planned second runway at the western Sydney airport after 2050.

The audit found taxpayers spent $26.7m too much for the land, which was owned by the Perich family, whose company donated $58,800 to the Liberal party in 2018-19.

On Thursday, Geoffrey Watson SC, the director of the Centre of Public Integrity, told the inquiry the “inevitable” conclusion was that it was “either gross incompetence or corruption”.

“The money used to make the purchase was public money and the funds withdrawn were administered by public officials.

“Given the processes were readily available to assume [the land] at commercial value [it is] unjustifiable to purchase it at more than market value. To make the purchase at 10 times its value must show the decision was one of two things.

“It had to be ... either gross incompetence or corruption – it can’t be anything else.”

Yeah, but really who cares?

18 hours ago, Bones said:

You basically backed up what I wrote, private companies not governments are getting the results.

But what I am saying is that things would be going a lot faster if it got government backing and if the government got themselves into the market. I don't think Tesla is going to come here out of the goodness of their hearts and create a large infrastructure for charging electric cars without AUS government backing, its not cheap. Do we even want Tesla to be doing that, should an Australian company be doing that and once its profitable to privatise it and sell of said company kinda like CBA or Telstra.

Private companies are doing a good job but it would be better and faster if the Feds got into to it as well. 

Side note: Are Electric cars cheaper to charge than filling up with petrol? Getting sick of paying over $1.68 a litre for petrol 

11 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

But what I am saying is that things would be going a lot faster if it got government backing and if the government got themselves into the market. I don't think Tesla is going to come here out of the goodness of their hearts and create a large infrastructure for charging electric cars without AUS government backing, its not cheap. Do we even want Tesla to be doing that, should an Australian company be doing that and once its profitable to privatise it and sell of said company kinda like CBA or Telstra.

Private companies are doing a good job but it would be better and faster if the Feds got into to it as well. 

Side note: Are Electric cars cheaper to charge than filling up with petrol? Getting sick of paying over $1.68 a litre for petrol 

100% agree. 

https://www.ergon.com.au/network/smarter-energy/electric-vehicles/benefits-of-electric-vehicles#:~:text=Cheaper to run,or at free charging stations.

The feds and state govts don't want to lose the excise revenue hence they want to bring in pay per km for ev's. Stinks tbh.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/consumer/2021/03/10/victoria-electric-vehicle-tax/

....and the bullshit statement in the article that says..."Dominic Perrottet saying “it is unfair that somebody who is driving around in an EV doesn’t have to pay tax for using the roads, but a tradie driving a HiLux does”. 

EV users will pay tolls, EV users will pay registration fees.

Edited by sonar

Just on the Feds reaction to Climate Change [or should that be no reaction]...

Read the dates and then I will tell you what they are and what they mean.

China 2030 & 2040 maybe earlier

Europe mostly 2030 & 2040 to 44

Japan similar

India no early date but indicating between 2045 & 2050 for the second date

USA no dates... as yet but they are starting to talk about dates.

Australia no dates, no discussion.

Now to explain the dates

The first date i.e for China 2030 and 2040 are the first date i.e 2030 is all new cars sold must be EV's... the second date 2040, is only EV's are allowed to be sold.

Major Issue 

Given approximately 80% of the new cars being sold in the world from 2030 need to be EV's.... Nations need Charging Stations... everyone around the world is building charging stations to enable a nation to have transport.

Australia not only has not set dates for business and industry to follow, the time lag especially given distances in Australia requires years of building charging stations.... we are not building Charging Stations.

Interestingly, Cov has shown the states have far move power than I pre Cov understood.... VIC gov has said they plan to legislate only EV can be purchases from 2030 which I actually think is the right policy but should be pushed back a tad to allow for charging stations. Whether the VIC gov can make this call to me is the MUST WATCH issue on climate change, because if correct the Sates who are all by and larger supportive of climate change could force the Feds hand.

However the BIGGER ISSUE by light years is given the push by the above nations for EV's and that ICE new cars cannot be sold, is what manufacturer will actually produce ICE cars.

WE are a long long long long long long way behind in two things, first understanding the EV push in the world ie how advanced it is, and second the need to have Charging Stations and they be more common that fuel stations today...

15 hours ago, wendybr said:

This kid doesn't back down....

A lot of what he says is a bit distasteful/ juvenile, and he goes too far sometimes....IMO.

But he isn't intimidated, and I say good luck to him in tackling Barillaro.

His like Borat and John Stewart mesh together. You either like his humour or don't, but looks like he was expecting to get sued at some point by the Deputy Premier since he has been going hard for him and looks very prepared.

Good luck to him history does favour him however he took on old mate Clive Palmer and won.

24 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Good luck to him history does favour him however he took on old mate Clive Palmer and won.

Yes!

He really seems to knows his stuff (must have a good research team) and he won't be intimidated or silenced.

He might be walking a fine line with some of what he says, but it will be interesting to see what happend with this.

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic