Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

On 07/05/2021 at 11:06 AM, MartinTyler said:

So if I nicked a small item from Harvey Norman or Best & Less could I claim that my taxes have already paid for it?

Go right ahead! :lol:

I'll just boycott them.

:):)

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Why? What did they do wrong?

WHile I appreciate that they - and others (and not just about this particular issue, ether) simply took advantage of a perfectly legal loophole thanks to our government, any business that demonstrates zero social responsibility should accept that people might not want to shop there. It's not like the government just foisted the money on them; they made the decision to take it. Yes, the government should have handled it better, but look at the intent, make the right decision, and don't add money for employment to your coffers. Every single cent should have gone to employees. To take that and use it to pay out dividends to investors is morally bankrupt behaviour, legal or no.

On 08/05/2021 at 4:26 PM, wendybr said:

Laura Tingle pulls no punches in her opinion pieces critical of the govt.

Lol!

The shambolic handling of repatriating Australian citizens from India reveals the government's priorities
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-08/india-repatriation-flights-resume-reveal-political-opportunity/100125094

I think Midfielder probably nailed on the head. The reality is even after 1 year the government didn't fund or create Quarantine facilities necessary for the job and were still with hotel quarantine that is not equipped for cases like what is happening in India. I know the premiers had been arguing it for at least the past 8 months at least which is why everyone has been lowering their international quarantine quota.

Well...here's a recap of the budget:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/federal-budget-2021-winners-and-losers/13328556?nw=0

Here's a small re-cap of it:

THE WINNERS:

• Vaccines: $1.9 billion to be spent on a vaccine strategy for the next five years. Some of the money will go into a pool towards having production of vaccines in Australia (no mention of how much yet). An additional $1.5 billion will be spent on any COVID-related health services (Example: testing and contact tracing)

• Women: A total of $354 million will be spent on women's health. $100 million spent on improving cervical and breast cancer screening programs. They are extending the free mammogram service for women aged 40 to 74 years old (originally was 50 to 74 years old). $47 million will go towards any services on women dealing with depression while pregnant and that are also new mothers. $27 million spent on programs to help reduce women dealing with eating disorders and $21.6 million on other health related initiatives (including education).

• Pre-schools: They will be funded $1.6 billion for the next four years (no mention how this will work out yet)

• Gaming industry: This is a weird one...there will be a 30 per cent refundable Digital Games Tax Offset to try and attract more of the $250 billion global game market to Australia. However, this isn't weird. There's a package worth $1.2 billion which is to improve digital technology. Some of the money in the package will include to improve the MyGov and My Health Record applications/websites. Plus, research into artificial intelligence and cyber security. 

•  Small brewing companies: Time to get drunk. Small brewers and distillery will receive $255 million in tax relief. From 1st July, they'll be able to back up $350,000 worth of taxes.

• Taxpayers: The Low and Middle Income Tax Offset remains for another year.

• Mental Health: $2.3 billion will be invested towards the National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan with 1.4 billion is to go towards a new network of mental health treatment centres for adults, youth and kids (I love this). Plus, $107 will be spent on vulnerable Australians and Indigenous people.

• Businesses: Last year's write off perks have been extended by 12 months. This means businesses with a turnover of $5 million will be able to write off the full value on any eligible assets like any work car or equipment.

• Farmers: The instant write off asset has been extended to June 2023 for Farmers. There's $200 million to be funded for a National Soil Strategy and $370 million for biosecurity measures

I can't be bothered listing the neutrals and losers, sorry...it's 2am.

Edited by MathyouWSW

Nats hold the Hunter.... me thinks Gladies got em over the line.... but not good news for the ALP.... 

From the ABC.. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-22/upper-hunter-by-election-results-called-for-nationals/100158176

The Nationals are expected to retain the seat of Upper Hunter, the ABC's election analyst Antony Green says.

The party has held the seat for 90 years.

Green said it was a "terrible result" for Labor, who have "leaked votes" to third parties and independents.

Labor leader Jodi McKay on Saturday night conceded the result was a blow to their efforts in the region, but have now set their sights on the 2023 election.

"We have to make sure we do better," Ms McKay said.

I watched the Nine news coverage on the election. Some journalist said to Jodi McKay "If you do believe that the product that you're selling, isn't the salesperson part of the problem?" 

I'm glad McKay responded nicely by saying "I've never seen myself as a sales person"

I'm not surprised for the Nine Network to have aired something like that since they are run by the Murdoch Media.

Video of it here if you wanted to see it (even though I think it's complete rubbish): https://www.9news.com.au/national/voters-across-the-nsw-upper-hunter-region-head-to-the-polls/a0969abc-8d57-4391-baa8-cf083eb82449

11 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I watched the Nine news coverage on the election. Some journalist said to Jodi McKay "If you do believe that the product that you're selling, isn't the salesperson part of the problem?" 

I'm glad McKay responded nicely by saying "I've never seen myself as a sales person"

I'm not surprised for the Nine Network to have aired something like that since they are run by the Murdoch Media.

Video of it here if you wanted to see it (even though I think it's complete rubbish): https://www.9news.com.au/national/voters-across-the-nsw-upper-hunter-region-head-to-the-polls/a0969abc-8d57-4391-baa8-cf083eb82449

Nine isn't part of News Ltd. They're separate. They are Lib /Nat supporters though. Nine owns Fairfax and Macquarie radio network (2GB). Their CEO is one Peter Costello. They have had  Lib fundraisers at their network studios in Sydney. They are not unbiased.

On 22/05/2021 at 9:37 PM, Midfielder said:

Nats hold the Hunter.... me thinks Gladies got em over the line.... but not good news for the ALP.... 

From the ABC.. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-22/upper-hunter-by-election-results-called-for-nationals/100158176

The Nationals are expected to retain the seat of Upper Hunter, the ABC's election analyst Antony Green says.

The party has held the seat for 90 years.

Green said it was a "terrible result" for Labor, who have "leaked votes" to third parties and independents.

Labor leader Jodi McKay on Saturday night conceded the result was a blow to their efforts in the region, but have now set their sights on the 2023 election.

"We have to make sure we do better," Ms McKay said.

In this Covid era it's been very difficult for state oppositions to make an impact.....just look at WA....all other regular policy clashes or corruption claims have taken a major back seat to each state government's Covid response. I'm sure if we didn't have fixed terms Gladys would have gone to an election around now. Having said that, NSW State Labor is struggling to land a blow.

13 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

Nine is not owned by News..... and thank God ...

younger me would have been against facebook shutting down conspiracy theories about vaccines because i thought let everyone talk and sanity will prevail but sadly its been proven that is not how things work, still if they block conspiracy theories or try to give facts that prove the theories wrong it wont make much a difference so its a lose lose situation

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic