Local Current Affairs Thread (not Wendy's)

wendybr

5 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

So much for my friend saying they w were.

Either way, the comment towards McKay was inappropriate. 

What is it they say? "Do your own research" :xnod:

younger me would have been against facebook shutting down conspiracy theories about vaccines because i thought let everyone talk and sanity will prevail but sadly its been proven that is not how things work, still if they block conspiracy theories or try to give facts that prove the theories wrong it wont make much a difference so its a lose lose situation

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i like this Aboriginal guy on Q&A, what has happened has happened but all we can do is make the future better for all of us

He's very, very impressive, isn't he, Mitch Tambo? A shining role model!

Porter backs out of his defamation case. Claims he has won and was basically being a big hero by just testing the law for the good of all of us. News claims the ABC settled out of court, which they haven't.  Porter's big test and massive victory results in.... the ABC keeping the story published with a small note to say "sorry if anyone thinks this is saying the unnamed person in this story (who is Christian Porter) is definitey guilty"  and redacted stuff will get published too. 

This ****er was the attorney General :lol:

Porter: I'm suing you for defamation so you need to prove that what you said was true.

ABC: Ok here's all our evidence that we'd like to enter into the public record.

Porter: I want all that evidence suppressed.

Court: No.

Porter: Ok case dropped. I won.

3 hours ago, marron said:

Nobody cares.

We'd genuinely rather corrupt god bothering concentration camp running alleged desk wanking rapists in power because the economy. 

This. Its apathy the average Aussie doesn't really want to be involved or want to know so governments can get away with this. The Ideal Australia and Realistic versions are quiet far apart because we don't "keep the bastards honest".

Hmm.

In 2016 “Almost 2 million Australian adults have experienced at least 1 sexual assault since the age of 15”

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/domestic-violence/sexual-assault-in-australia/contents/summary

Add to that the age group 0 to 14.

In 2016, the population of Australia was about about 24. This would suggest that roughly 10 to 20 percent of will have an experience of being sexually assaulted by the time they come of legal age. 

Is anyone else finding these figures alarming?

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Hmm.

In 2016 “Almost 2 million Australian adults have experienced at least 1 sexual assault since the age of 15”

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/domestic-violence/sexual-assault-in-australia/contents/summary

In 2016, the population of Australia was about about 24. This would suggest that roughly 10 to 20 percent of will have an experience of being sexually assaulted by the time they come of legal age. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Hmm.

2016 was a fun year. Back when we played finals. Pretty sure I got sexually assaulted after a few of those games, happy times.

3 hours ago, FCB said:

Hmm.

Yes alarming but not surprising. :nono:

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

And looks like Morrison's mates are going to dud their workforce wherever they can

Superannuation rises could come at the cost of wages — workers may end up paying for their own super rise https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-11/workers-wages-superannuation-guarantee-rise-employers-budget/100206954

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Judge tells it straight

Robodebt condemned as a 'shameful chapter' in withering assessment by federal court judge https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-11/robodebt-condemned-by-federal-court-judge-as-shameful-chapter/100207674

Seriously, if this mob is voted back in, I'm moving to NZ.

They're a disgrace, and have been shown to be corrupt, shameless and out of touch.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Seriously, if this mob is voted back in, I'm moving to NZ.

They're a disgrace, and have been shown to be corrupt, shameless and out of touch.

Better start brushing up on your rugby knowledge. I find it difficult to believe they wont get re-elected considering the favour they have with the majority of the media and Labor having a toothless leader and platform at the moment.

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

What a wonderful initiative, but how shameful is it that it's left to volunteers to do something like this.

Medical van treats acute and chronic illnesses in hundreds of rough sleepers across Sydney
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-13/new-medical-van-treats-rough-sleepers-in-sydney/100205088

Not really related and perhaps one more for the WGMG thread...

Every morning I walk a few k's to the station to catch the train to work. In a street near a park / reserve there is a homeless couple, i would say in their late 50's, living out of their car. They have been there for nearly a year now..

They have all their possessions rammed in to that car and they have their meals together on a picnic table, they have a decent set up to cook at least..gas burner and so on..

I pass the women most mornings heading to use the wash facilities in the park. Which would be a toilet and sink...nothing more.

It just pisses me off when all you read about is house prices rocketing and investors and their portfolio's. These homeless people are invisible to the media and the politicians prefer to just look the other way. It is obscene to me to have a one bed unit worth around 800k plus around the area this couple are homeless, it says much about Sydney.

Anyway..at Christmas just gone i had some chocolates in my bag one morning and when they were not around I left them on their table for them. I walked past again later that day and they had them grouped with their stuff.

At least they are doing it together eh. Could happen to any of us.

Edited by Smoggy

Prosperity cult christianity at its best. 

We can look with horror but the fact remains the majority of us don't care and endorse it a hundred times over.

Oh, yeah, I mean, Medicare, stripping that is pretty bad, I guess, hmmmm paying more job keeper to millionaires than people who need it, yeah, not great, OH LOOK TAX BREAK INVESTMENT PROPERTY **** YOU FOR BEING POOR JESUS ******* SAVES $$$$$$$$$$$$

On 11/06/2021 at 11:38 AM, Paul01 said:

And looks like Morrison's mates are going to dud their workforce wherever they can

Superannuation rises could come at the cost of wages — workers may end up paying for their own super rise https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-11/workers-wages-superannuation-guarantee-rise-employers-budget/100206954

To be fair, I’m on a “total package” remuneration agreement and this is common knowledge 

I think the article drums up a storm over something that’s pretty obvious. It won’t be good for the company’s goodwill if they don’t give a 0.5% increase but it’s pretty bad in the first place that giving employees a 0.5% pay increase is newsworthy (e.g. Big 4 professional services)

So Scott Morrison's mate is a QAnon type and was dobbed in by his family as a national security risk.

So the question why is he still close to Scumbo?

QAnon follower Tim Stewart's an old friend of Scott Morrison. His family reported him to the national security hotline https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-14/qanon-follower-old-friend-scott-morrison-stewart-family-speaks/100125156