Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Disgraceful, but unsurprising.

This govt treats taxpayers' money as if it was their own.

Worst, most arrogant, entitled, corrupt, unaccountable govt I've ever have the misfortune to live under.

This, plus the 50 or so telephone calls to European heads to secure Corman's job and not one call to the head of Pfizer to secure vaccines for Australia. The mind boggles.

On 20/07/2021 at 6:11 PM, wendybr said:

Disgraceful, but unsurprising.

This govt treats taxpayers' money as if it was their own.

Worst, most arrogant, entitled, corrupt, unaccountable govt I've ever have the misfortune to live under.

You didn't have the misfortune of living in the backstabbing Rudd Gillard years ?

Where to start -border protection failure , hundreds perish at sea because of Labor inaction.

Pink batts botched by Rudd and Mr. Midnight Oil , deaths of young installers , millions if not billions rorted by every spiv and rort merchant around. Houses catching on fire.

Gillards education revolution billions rorted  and wasted on unnecessary and unwanted buildings.

ETS and carbon tax stuff up.

White elephant NBN worked out on the back of a coaster on a plane.

Computers for every school kid , knowledge of err human biology so to speak main beneficiary.

11 hours ago, theseeker said:

You didn't have the misfortune of living in the backstabbing Rudd Gillard years ?

Where to start -border protection failure , hundreds perish at sea because of Labor inaction.

Pink batts botched by Rudd and Mr. Midnight Oil , deaths of young installers , millions if not billions rorted by every spiv and rort merchant around. Houses catching on fire.

Gillards education revolution billions rorted  and wasted on unnecessary and unwanted buildings.

ETS and carbon tax stuff up.

White elephant NBN worked out on the back of a coaster on a plane.

Computers for every school kid , knowledge of err human biology so to speak main beneficiary.

My high school got a brand new basketball court/school hall because of it.

As a high school kid at the time when it was being built, it was one of my first experiences of government actually doing something that benefited me personally and one that I could see with my very own eyes

To this day, it is still used.

Also really, Rudd-Gillard-Rudd is just as bad as Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison in terms of backstabbing, so let's be fair here

And don't even get me started on what the LNP did with the NBN. It is a national disgrace when they changed the technology mix, and as someone who lives in an area which does not get it because "copper from the 70s is still OK", I am livid.

Even aside from any differences in the level and type of, shall we say, bad governance, one side of politics doing it does not make the other side doing it any better. You can't be "Labor did it so this is okay" on the one hand and then "but Labor is bad because of it but LNP is fine".  If you genuinely hate bad governance and corruption, you'd hate this mob a whole lot more.

15 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

My high school got a brand new basketball court/school hall because of it.

As a high school kid at the time when it was being built, it was one of my first experiences of government actually doing something that benefited me personally and one that I could see with my very own eyes

To this day, it is still used.

Also really, Rudd-Gillard-Rudd is just as bad as Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison in terms of backstabbing, so let's be fair here

And don't even get me started on what the LNP did with the NBN. It is a national disgrace when they changed the technology mix, and as someone who lives in an area which does not get it because "copper from the 70s is still OK", I am livid.

Thanks Unlimited.

Too tired to attempt a response to Seeker's mainly amusing response.  👏👏

45 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thanks Unlimited.

Too tired to attempt a response to Seeker's mainly amusing response.  👏👏

Also as a general point, we cannot expect perfection in government rollouts because we are only human

I look at the intention.

I would rather have another Pink Batts scheme which - from a quick read - seems to have been a government sponsored initiative to give 1.2 million Australian homes free insulation.

I would rather have another free laptops for all high school students program.

I would rather have another "Building the Education Revolution" program which had $14.2 billion for new and refurbished school halls, libraries, and classrooms.

Meanwhile this government has chosen commuter car parks based on the percentage margin of the electorate (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/29/government-committed-millions-to-commuter-car-parks-that-could-never-be-built-labor-says)

This current government has awarded money for women's change rooms in the recent sports rorts scandal, again based on the percentage margin of the electorate and if they voted Liberal (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team)

That's corruption and completely inexcusable.

At least the Pink Batts, high school laptops, and school halls programs were open to everyone.

Personally I'd rather have 7 million for Christian Porter's old private school.

I'd rather them recoup the cost of that kind of thing by, I dunno, reclaiming money from the unemployed or something.

16 minutes ago, marron said:

Personally I'd rather have 7 million for Christian Porter's old private school.

I'd rather them recoup the cost of that kind of thing by, I dunno, reclaiming money from the unemployed or something.

That's also something I've noticed, it doesn't make sense.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/rich-school-poor-school-australias-great-education-divide/11383384?nw=0

So here: Knox Grammar who has $83.8 million in come (in 2019) gets a $47 million performing arts centre funded. Meanwhile it says there Parramatta East Public School had 10 toilets for 500 students.

Now that I am a tax payer, I'm more attuned to these things and it's actually quite unfair. How is this in any way acceptable?

I'm not saying private schools should get no funding or anything like that, but who the hell can sign off on one school getting a $47 million performing arts centre for a school that isn't even a performing arts high school, while so many public schools have demountables from the 80s

22 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Also as a general point, we cannot expect perfection in government rollouts because we are only human

I look at the intention.

I would rather have another Pink Batts scheme which - from a quick read - seems to have been a government sponsored initiative to give 1.2 million Australian homes free insulation.

I would rather have another free laptops for all high school students program.

I would rather have another "Building the Education Revolution" program which had $14.2 billion for new and refurbished school halls, libraries, and classrooms.

Meanwhile this government has chosen commuter car parks based on the percentage margin of the electorate (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/29/government-committed-millions-to-commuter-car-parks-that-could-never-be-built-labor-says)

This current government has awarded money for women's change rooms in the recent sports rorts scandal, again based on the percentage margin of the electorate and if they voted Liberal (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team)

That's corruption and completely inexcusable.

At least the Pink Batts, high school laptops, and school halls programs were open to everyone.

An even better post, Unlimited!

👏👏

You guys are hilarious , where is my violin.

Due to  waste ,overquoting and unnecessary expenditure on the so called Education Revolution has by any  evaluation been a disaster. What academic standards have demonstrably increased to the slash up against the wall.

Australia ranked 39 out of 41 high and middle income countries in achieving quality education according to UNICEF. Keeping work hard guys and paying those high Labor taxes and they'll keep splashing it up against the wall.

11 hours ago, theseeker said:

Due to  waste ,overquoting and unnecessary expenditure on the so called Education Revolution has by any  evaluation been a disaster. What academic standards have demonstrably increased to the slash up against the wall.

Australia ranked 39 out of 41 high and middle income countries in achieving quality education according to UNICEF. Keeping work hard guys and paying those high Labor taxes and they'll keep splashing it up against the wall.

Wait that was our current Coalition government.

So the old Gonski reforms were to raise the Public school standard because it was recognised we were falling behind and the inequality in education was starting to widen. When Abbott came in they made changes and focused on elite selective and private schools instead. This has directly affected the Universities which don't get me started there. I honestly don't know what the coalition's problem is with the Universities and education in general but they pretty much forced the Universities into becoming a business which has now screwed them during COVID. The Business structure went from government funding to relying on International students from Asia (mainly China) and India to make the difference. BTW HECS hasn't been raised since 2017 so the funding has remained the same which means Universities are limited in what they can provide for Domestic students, which has been felt a lot during COVID because no International students to make the difference. See where I am going with this.

The original reforms became a failure due to the changes by the Coalition because the original objective of the reforms was lost. And Universities recognise that we are falling behind everyone which is why they have been lobbying the government for more help. 

There is a lot more to it obviously but you get the general idea.

14 hours ago, theseeker said:

I don’t understand how you can blame Labor considering the LNP have been in power since 2013

The LNP can change things you know, they’re not stuck with whatever Labor put in

If they couldn’t change things, whatever happened to the carbon tax?

Your first paragraph misleadingly cites a 2008-2010 program and then shows results in 2017. Those kids in 2008-2010 like myself are long, long gone from school. The correct period to look at would be say 2008-2013 or so.

Besides, some things like the new school halls are just a continuing benefit. They don’t really assist in academic performance.

3 hours ago, Carns said:

The plan is to help their mates and **** everyone else. Why make university affordable when it just means more plebs get opportunities and it's less jobs for the old boy's network and their kids.

If you can't afford it, it's obviously your fault.

Correct 100%. That and the research universities are doing are against the government policies such as the break through with green steel killing coking coal. More companies are taking green steel over using coal.

But in the end we just start falling behind. The current government is all about helping their friends and donors. 

32 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

And another

Are there many of the younger generations who see anything to respect in a LNP govt, I wonder?

You'd hope they are a dying breed, and that in  another decade or two, the dinosaurs who have largely presided over us for the past 100 years will be a thing of the past too.

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Are there many of the younger generations who see anything to respect in a LNP govt, I wonder?

You'd hope they are a dying breed, and that in  another decade or two, the dinosaurs who have largely presided over us for the past 100 years will be a thing of the past too.

Yep. In those safe seats where the conservatives lurk in wait to suck the money out of us plebs.

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic