Local Current Affairs Thread (not Wendy's)

wendybr

5 hours ago, marron said:

Property prices going up everywhere have shrunk the broader nature that many suburbs used to have.

Thing is, with the Metro, and stations at Showground - near me, and in the centre of CH, parts of the suburb are being massively redeveloped. Pockets of CH will be unrecogniseable in 5 years. I live in the middle of a construction zone, now, sadly.

I think the apartments will be fairly upmarket, but this might change the demographic somewhat. :unknw:

6 hours ago, Carns said:

Diversity goes out the window and everything becomes bland, beige and gentrified.

Yep. Definitely a big part of what I like about the mountains, although the multicultural diversity is lower than WS but then, everywhere on the planet is practically lower. But yeah, it still has that, some hugely wealthy people here but many at the other end. Even up here the squeeze is on though.

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thing is, with the Metro, and stations at Showground - near me, and in the centre of CH, parts of the suburb are being massively redeveloped. Pockets of CH will be unrecogniseable in 5 years. I live in the middle of a construction zone, now, sadly.

I think the apartments will be fairly upmarket, but this might change the demographic somewhat. :unknw:

Yeah it was pretty sleepy when I lived there, Towers was relatively down market and certainly didn't feel flash or anything (although I don't know how much it has changed). We lived on the border with Baulko and it was funny that people looked down on Baulko! Like... what? haha. My brother in law lives in Kellyville now so I have been there fairly frequently over the last few years and yeah, it's a  pretty different place.

Thing is though as well, like, what was the population of Sydney back then? It was "3 million" when I was growing up, when did we hit 4? And what is it now?  (to answer my own question, yep, hit 4 in about 2008, almost at 5 now).

Things have to change, obviously - the density is what it is. But it would be so much better on many levels with affordable housing.

Edited by marron
2 hours ago, marron said:

Thing is though as well, like, what was the population of Sydney back then? It was "3 million" when I was growing up, when did we hit 4? And what is it now?  (to answer my own question, yep, hit 4 in about 2008, almost at 5 now).

Things have to change, obviously - the density is what it is. But it would be so much better on many levels with affordable housing.

Unfortunately the nation's obsession with property means that everyone just wants to make a quick buck.

Latest case in point:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-17/potentially-fatal-defect-in-sydney-apartment-tower/100298914 

and the fire stairs to nowhere

incomplete fire stairs in Building Management report 2

It's crap like this that is pushing me to just renting for life. Or at least for a long while.

Cowboys putting up **** housing, charging huge amounts, and nothing happening, and thousands of people priced out anyway, having to travel for hours every day just to get to work, and not having access to quality of life. The dream. But the good stuff trickles down, don't worry.

Edited by marron
4 hours ago, Ossified said:

Disgraceful, but unsurprising.

This govt treats taxpayers' money as if it was their own.

Worst, most arrogant, entitled, corrupt, unaccountable govt I've ever have the misfortune to live under.

41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Worst, most arrogant, entitled, corrupt, unaccountable govt I've ever have the misfortune to live under.

This, plus the 50 or so telephone calls to European heads to secure Corman's job and not one call to the head of Pfizer to secure vaccines for Australia. The mind boggles.

1 hour ago, Ossified said:

This, plus the 50 or so telephone calls to European heads to secure Corman's job and not one call to the head of Pfizer to secure vaccines for Australia. The mind boggles.

I saw an article headline saying his focus "would be on climate change".. I assume on making it worse.

On 20/07/2021 at 6:11 PM, wendybr said:

You didn't have the misfortune of living in the backstabbing Rudd Gillard years ?

Where to start -border protection failure , hundreds perish at sea because of Labor inaction.

Pink batts botched by Rudd and Mr. Midnight Oil , deaths of young installers , millions if not billions rorted by every spiv and rort merchant around. Houses catching on fire.

Gillards education revolution billions rorted  and wasted on unnecessary and unwanted buildings.

ETS and carbon tax stuff up.

White elephant NBN worked out on the back of a coaster on a plane.

Computers for every school kid , knowledge of err human biology so to speak main beneficiary.

25 minutes ago, mack said:

lol

NBN late , over budget , slow , expensive , 62nd place in global rankings for download speeds.

Maybe the coaster the Labor plan was written on wasn't readable properly because of the whiskey stains on the coaster.

5 minutes ago, theseeker said:

NBN late , over budget , slow , expensive , 62nd place in global rankings for download speeds.

Maybe the coaster the Labor plan was written on wasn't readable properly because of the whiskey stains on the coaster.

lol

11 hours ago, theseeker said:

You didn't have the misfortune of living in the backstabbing Rudd Gillard years ?

Where to start -border protection failure , hundreds perish at sea because of Labor inaction.

Pink batts botched by Rudd and Mr. Midnight Oil , deaths of young installers , millions if not billions rorted by every spiv and rort merchant around. Houses catching on fire.

Gillards education revolution billions rorted  and wasted on unnecessary and unwanted buildings.

ETS and carbon tax stuff up.

White elephant NBN worked out on the back of a coaster on a plane.

Computers for every school kid , knowledge of err human biology so to speak main beneficiary.

My high school got a brand new basketball court/school hall because of it.

As a high school kid at the time when it was being built, it was one of my first experiences of government actually doing something that benefited me personally and one that I could see with my very own eyes

To this day, it is still used.

Also really, Rudd-Gillard-Rudd is just as bad as Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison in terms of backstabbing, so let's be fair here

And don't even get me started on what the LNP did with the NBN. It is a national disgrace when they changed the technology mix, and as someone who lives in an area which does not get it because "copper from the 70s is still OK", I am livid.

Even aside from any differences in the level and type of, shall we say, bad governance, one side of politics doing it does not make the other side doing it any better. You can't be "Labor did it so this is okay" on the one hand and then "but Labor is bad because of it but LNP is fine".  If you genuinely hate bad governance and corruption, you'd hate this mob a whole lot more.

15 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

My high school got a brand new basketball court/school hall because of it.

As a high school kid at the time when it was being built, it was one of my first experiences of government actually doing something that benefited me personally and one that I could see with my very own eyes

To this day, it is still used.

Also really, Rudd-Gillard-Rudd is just as bad as Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison in terms of backstabbing, so let's be fair here

And don't even get me started on what the LNP did with the NBN. It is a national disgrace when they changed the technology mix, and as someone who lives in an area which does not get it because "copper from the 70s is still OK", I am livid.

Thanks Unlimited.

Too tired to attempt a response to Seeker's mainly amusing response.  👏👏

45 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thanks Unlimited.

Too tired to attempt a response to Seeker's mainly amusing response.  👏👏

Also as a general point, we cannot expect perfection in government rollouts because we are only human

I look at the intention.

I would rather have another Pink Batts scheme which - from a quick read - seems to have been a government sponsored initiative to give 1.2 million Australian homes free insulation.

I would rather have another free laptops for all high school students program.

I would rather have another "Building the Education Revolution" program which had $14.2 billion for new and refurbished school halls, libraries, and classrooms.

Meanwhile this government has chosen commuter car parks based on the percentage margin of the electorate (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/29/government-committed-millions-to-commuter-car-parks-that-could-never-be-built-labor-says)

This current government has awarded money for women's change rooms in the recent sports rorts scandal, again based on the percentage margin of the electorate and if they voted Liberal (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team)

That's corruption and completely inexcusable.

At least the Pink Batts, high school laptops, and school halls programs were open to everyone.

Personally I'd rather have 7 million for Christian Porter's old private school.

I'd rather them recoup the cost of that kind of thing by, I dunno, reclaiming money from the unemployed or something.

16 minutes ago, marron said:

Personally I'd rather have 7 million for Christian Porter's old private school.

I'd rather them recoup the cost of that kind of thing by, I dunno, reclaiming money from the unemployed or something.

That's also something I've noticed, it doesn't make sense.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/rich-school-poor-school-australias-great-education-divide/11383384?nw=0

So here: Knox Grammar who has $83.8 million in come (in 2019) gets a $47 million performing arts centre funded. Meanwhile it says there Parramatta East Public School had 10 toilets for 500 students.

Now that I am a tax payer, I'm more attuned to these things and it's actually quite unfair. How is this in any way acceptable?

I'm not saying private schools should get no funding or anything like that, but who the hell can sign off on one school getting a $47 million performing arts centre for a school that isn't even a performing arts high school, while so many public schools have demountables from the 80s

22 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Also as a general point, we cannot expect perfection in government rollouts because we are only human

I look at the intention.

I would rather have another Pink Batts scheme which - from a quick read - seems to have been a government sponsored initiative to give 1.2 million Australian homes free insulation.

I would rather have another free laptops for all high school students program.

I would rather have another "Building the Education Revolution" program which had $14.2 billion for new and refurbished school halls, libraries, and classrooms.

Meanwhile this government has chosen commuter car parks based on the percentage margin of the electorate (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/29/government-committed-millions-to-commuter-car-parks-that-could-never-be-built-labor-says)

This current government has awarded money for women's change rooms in the recent sports rorts scandal, again based on the percentage margin of the electorate and if they voted Liberal (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/24/sports-grants-rugby-club-gets-funding-for-female-change-rooms-but-has-no-womens-team)

That's corruption and completely inexcusable.

At least the Pink Batts, high school laptops, and school halls programs were open to everyone.

An even better post, Unlimited!

👏👏

You guys are hilarious , where is my violin.

Due to  waste ,overquoting and unnecessary expenditure on the so called Education Revolution has by any  evaluation been a disaster. What academic standards have demonstrably increased to the slash up against the wall.

Australia ranked 39 out of 41 high and middle income countries in achieving quality education according to UNICEF. Keeping work hard guys and paying those high Labor taxes and they'll keep splashing it up against the wall.