Local Current Affairs Thread (not Wendy's)

wendybr

12 hours ago, Paul01 said:

They are not corrupt. They just live in an parallel universe where corruption does not exist. And global warming, for that matter. 

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I feel huge shame today as an Australia that we have left people who helped us in war zones and took massive risks for us have been left behind.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

I just saw Dutton twice in the news this evening. He is pure Empathy, of course, maybe he ought to do a ScoMo and talk to his own wife about the humanity thing when he’s got a minute.

He spat out a bunch of figures and stats, and apparently we are smashing it in the humanitarian department. We are world leaders, just like we are when it comes to the response to global warming. Lots to be proud of, apparently.  

Every now and then the Fed Goc does something good.... over the last day or two days they did something good... I understand its not common...

Much more in the article... from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58317373

The Australian government has evacuated more than 50 women footballers and athletes and their dependents from Afghanistan following an appeal by world bodies Fifa and Fifpro.

A statement by the international footballers' federation Fifpro expressed gratitude to Australia.

Following the retaking of Kabul by the Taliban, many Afghan sportswomen went into hiding.

The statement said work was still needed to settle the women abroad.

7 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Every now and then the Fed Goc does something good.... over the last day or two days they did something good... I understand its not common...

The Australian government has evacuated more than 50 women footballers and athletes and their dependents from Afghanistan following an appeal by world bodies Fifa and Fifpro.

A statement by the international footballers' federation Fifpro expressed gratitude to Australia.

Following the retaking of Kabul by the Taliban, many Afghan sportswomen went into hiding.

It is good, isn't it.

The US has evacuated about 50,000 people.

7 hours ago, Midfielder said:

A must watch vid .... the Yes Minster vid is mixed with Australian pollies making speeches .... beyond clever...

We appear to be having an increasing number of Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister moments in recent times.

9 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Hey man , what are you doing. Don't you know that on here Australia is a selfish , cruel , uncaring country with a dark heart.

As for Dutton well the Master Blaster wanted electors to "drive a political  stake " through  Dutton' s dark heart. Result Dutton increased his majority. Thanks Master Blaster.

Yes , we should return to the refugee policies of Labor , the people smugglers greatest friends. Hundreds if not thousands of men women and children drowning at sea in leaky boats. 

And of course we should be a world leader in climate change when we produce 1.1 % of emissions. That's like an ant wanting to be a leader in a tribe of elephants. You know what will happen to the ant. But never mind Smokin' Joe will fix this climate thing, having already failed in the Mexican border fiasco , the Afghan withdrawal massive stuff and now he takes on the Chinese who will have him for breakfast. What's China target for climate change - 2060 ! Note it down in your diary.

11 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Saw a post on reddit about this.

The Managing Director of the company (called Cox Inall, seriously) is a guy named Tim Powell, who used to work as the Press Secretary to former NSW Liberal Premier Jeff Fehey.

The General Manager, named Justine Sywak, used to work as a media advisor to former Vic Liberal Premiers Ted Baillieu and Denis Napthine.

I’m sure that contract went through a fair and open tender process…

9 minutes ago, Davo said:

Saw a post on reddit about this.

The Managing Director of the company (called Cox Inall, seriously) is a guy named Tim Powell, who used to work as the Press Secretary to former NSW Liberal Premier Jeff Fehey.

The General Manager, named Justine Sywak, used to work as a media advisor to former Vic Liberal Premiers Ted Baillieu and Denis Napthine.

I’m sure that contract went through a fair and open tender process…

Of course it did just like the Empire fracking contract in Qld.....Hello Angus Taylor. Corruption continues in the LNP as normal while everyone is concentrating on the Covid shambles.

EPL, Spanish with other top European leagues have said they will not release players to countries on England's Red List ... for WCQ..

the Red List, is a list of countries where cov is considered poorly managed... resulting in people coming from these nations having to spend 10 days in quarantine..

Most South American, most African  countries are on England's red list.

FIFA is going to take some action... they say... 

Going to be a watch this space issue for sure... 

Looks like the ABC, our one, has upset Rupert Murdoch. About time an organisation reported truthfully on the fact that Fox News (currently Sky News in Australia) has a symbiotic relationship with the US Republican Party. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/25/murdoch-empire-strikes-back-at-abcs-documentary-on-fox-news-championing-of-trump?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

On 25/08/2021 at 8:35 AM, theseeker said:

Hey man , what are you doing. Don't you know that on here Australia is a selfish , cruel , uncaring country with a dark heart.

As for Dutton well the Master Blaster wanted electors to "drive a political  stake " through  Dutton' s dark heart. Result Dutton increased his majority. Thanks Master Blaster.

Yes , we should return to the refugee policies of Labor , the people smugglers greatest friends. Hundreds if not thousands of men women and children drowning at sea in leaky boats. 

And of course we should be a world leader in climate change when we produce 1.1 % of emissions. That's like an ant wanting to be a leader in a tribe of elephants. You know what will happen to the ant. But never mind Smokin' Joe will fix this climate thing, having already failed in the Mexican border fiasco , the Afghan withdrawal massive stuff and now he takes on the Chinese who will have him for breakfast. What's China target for climate change - 2060 ! Note it down in your diary.

Sorry I have to disagree on that bold part mate. Under the current Liberal rules smuggling has actually increased and people staying beyond the visa. If anything the Smugglers have actually made their own business far more complex and elaborate to sneak people in. Its not boats like they say in the media, they actually get them in through fake tourist visa and fake work permits and businesses are happy to exploit to get cheaper labour mostly centralised around the mega farms. You also get an issue where people avoid citizenship under the new rules because of the hassle. 

And I didn't even mention the Sri Lankan family that we have Christmas Island that has now become a farce.

Covid has actually reduced illegal immigration but not because anything the coalition has done.

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Sorry I have to disagree on that bold part mate. Under the current Liberal rules smuggling has actually increased and people staying beyond the visa. If anything the Smugglers have actually made their own business far more complex and elaborate to sneak people in. Its not boats like they say in the media, they actually get them in through fake tourist visa and fake work permits and businesses are happy to exploit to get cheaper labour mostly centralised around the mega farms. You also get an issue where people avoid citizenship under the new rules because of the hassle. 

And I didn't even mention the Sri Lankan family that we have Christmas Island that has now become a farce.

Covid has actually reduced illegal immigration but not because anything the coalition has done.

Whilst I hear what you are saying , the air arrivals would have to have travel documents which would allow some form of checking and verification. Whereas boat arrivals chuck their documents in the ocean and they could be Mr. Taliban for all that is known.

As far as the Sri Lankan family goes , well sure some sympathy there but if you don't meet the criteria you don't meet it. If you make an exception the spiv lawyers will jump on it , want it made retrospective to all  and compensation paid to previous cases.

The legal system seems to allow multiple appeals and is a lawyers picnic. Just keeping appealing and you might eventually fluke a result.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

And the Morrison Govt has again failed the pub test. It has lost all credibility in the area of moral responsibility.

Pubs aren't open.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

This news is huge and will go viral

High Court finds media outlets are responsible for Facebook comments in Dylan Voller defamation case https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-08/high-court-rules-on-media-responsibility-over-facebook-comments/100442626

Pretty sure to be safe everyone will just close off the comments tab. But its such a dangerous precedent that has been set.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Perfect excuse to continue the massive censorship that has been ongoing for some time now.

I know you dom't mean you' like some of the offensive stuff that social media is responsible for but if hate speech loses an outlet I won't be too upset.

Some of the youngsters on here might know about some of the restrictions proposed on more than Facebook. I've heard bits and pieces...but haven't retained details.

It's hard to remember that the internet...and the access to having "a voice",  is so recent.

It's changing...and will change more...I think, and I can't say whether overall that's good or bad.

Bit of both, I expect.

I think life, on balance, is worse with it, tbh.