Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wendybr

Local Current Affairs Thread (not Wendy's)

Recommended Posts

Can someone explain how Gladys is still around?

From what I can understand her ex divulged information through various phone calls of doing deals with insolvent Chinese company still owing hundreds of thousands of dollars to Aussie farmers screwing a lot of people. The big issue obviously isn't the affair but that she was either:

- involved in the corruption deals that screwed a lot of people; OR

- knew about it but didn't report it which would still make her guilty.

Surely there is no way you can still be premier after something like that.

Edited by Sithslayer1991

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Can someone explain how Gladys is still around?

From what I can understand her ex divulged information through various phone calls of doing deals with insolvent Chinese company still owing hundreds of thousands of dollars to Aussie farmers screwing a lot of people. The big issue obviously isn't the affair but that she was either:

- involved in the corruption deals that screwed a lot of people; OR

- knew about it but didn't report it which would still make her guilty.

Surely there is no way you can still be premier after something like that.

She's a Liberal

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Can someone explain how Gladys is still around?

From what I can understand her ex divulged information through various phone calls of doing deals with insolvent Chinese company still owing hundreds of thousands of dollars to Aussie farmers screwing a lot of people. The big issue obviously isn't the affair but that she was either:

- involved in the corruption deals that screwed a lot of people; OR

- knew about it but didn't report it which would still make her guilty.

Surely there is no way you can still be premier after something like that.

She is popular within her own party. At the end of the day if you have the backing of your cabinet / wider party then you will likely survive. There is no one waiting in the shadows to stab her in the back it seems.

She is popular in the electorate and is seen as someone who managed the bushfire crisis well and covid so far. She is seen as having some popularity in the bag to use up....she has now...

If there were a state election tomorrow she would probably still win.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post

Also the next state election is scheduled for March 2023

A challenger would be better off waiting a while

Share this post


Link to post

Also the media has done a good job of making the focus the "affair" (which it isn't and they've done nothing wrong) rather than corruption (which may end up being a lot of wrong).

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Davo said:

Also the media has done a good job of making the focus the "affair" (which it isn't and they've done nothing wrong) rather than corruption (which may end up being a lot of wrong).

That also....The media has gone in light compared to similar situations.

Share this post


Link to post

Careful what you wish for...if she is deposed we'd probably get that prized cnut Perrottet

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Careful what you wish for...if she is deposed we'd probably get that prized cnut Perrottet

Its more integrity its clear corruption that she is involved in and who knows what else she might been involved in. But at the moment it feels like the Nationals are running the state rather than the Libs especially with the koala protection policy recently that removes the states responsibility on protecting land to local councils that don't have any resources.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Its more integrity its clear corruption that she is involved in and who knows what else she might been involved in. But at the moment it feels like the Nationals are running the state rather than the Libs especially with the koala protection policy recently that removes the states responsibility on protecting land to local councils that don't have any resources.

That would be the leaderless Nationals?

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

It's also possible she hasn't done anything wrong.

It's definitely an integrity issue. ICAC has said she doesn't have to face corruption questions, but she was in a relationship with someone who was openly corrupt, had discussions with him about it and did nothing to stop it occurring. For the most powerful politician in the state it isn't a good look.

Share this post


Link to post

When she was appointed Premier you could probably say that she was the 'least worst' option and that carried through to the election where Labor were still in some disarray and her non-controversial persona probably got them over the line. She's managed to avoid the direct firing line for any criticisms of the major infrastructure projects where the likes of Constance etc have felt the heat. However, as State Leader we are asked to trust her judgment in a number of areas. This episode has shown poor judgment on her behalf and I'm sorry to say that because of that lapse she has to go as she has now lost the confidence of the public at large.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Carns said:

The plot thickens

 

Man it just gets worst. Seriously its been what 2 days since its started its looking really bad I just can't see how she stays premier.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Carns said:

The plot thickens

 

"Dead man(woman) walking" I believe is the appropriate term.

Share this post


Link to post

FMD that Daryl Maguire is making Eddie Obeid look like a Vatican Choir boy : Gladys, what on earth were you thinking?

Share this post


Link to post

She was seduced by his bald head and the akubra hat he wore to make people think he gave a **** about his constituents.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Davo said:

Also the media has done a good job of making the focus the "affair" (which it isn't and they've done nothing wrong) rather than corruption (which may end up being a lot of wrong).

That’s News Corp for you

need to protect their golden goose 

For those who don’t believe me, tell me how much A-League coverage we get from news channels that broadcast and advertise for cricket, NRL, and AFL?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Unlimited said:

That’s News Corp for you

need to protect their golden goose 

For those who don’t believe me, tell me how much A-League coverage we get from news channels that broadcast and advertise for cricket, NRL, and AFL?

Are you new around here? ;)

They've been doing this **** for decades. Literally.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Carns said:

Are you new around here? ;)

They've been doing this **** for decades. Literally.

I unfortunately was a daily reader of the Daily Telegraph for a while

One of the things which put me off was actually their anti-football coverage, funnily enough

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

I unfortunately was a daily reader of the Daily Telegraph for a while

One of the things which put me off was actually their anti-football coverage, funnily enough

You should watch the Murdoch doco that is currently on iView. Gives some good background on their modus operandi over the last 50 years.

Share this post


Link to post

Scumbo picks a fight with China

Scumbo picked a fight with Daniel Andrews

So who is the common denominator?

Share this post


Link to post

Conservatives with no vision, as usual, other than to promise people rate cuts.

Dinosaurs, even if their leader is only 36.

Well done citizens of the ACT.

I guess being ringed by fires and parched by drought for years means they a receptive to The Greens, with them likely to pick up seats.

Missed last night's ACT election coverage? Here are the results from voting day
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-18/act-election-results-win-lose-seats-five-key-takeaways/12779060

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...