Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

20 hours ago, Ossified said:

Just shows us what a corrupt Country we live in and nobody gives a sh1t.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/does-anybody-care-about-political-integrity-any-more-20201022-p567ha.htm

It's a reflection  of society as a whole for sure.

As an example....look at real estate and what that has become....brings the corrupt and nasty out in us all...

12 hours ago, wendybr said:

All of South Australia's power comes from solar panels in world first for major jurisdiction
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-25/all-sa-power-from-solar-for-first-time/12810366

Only for one hour...but a step in the right direction!

How crazy is that they are doing so well in SA with Solar panels there is a danger they have too much power. They can easily export that extra power to the other states and quite possibly internationally.

This might belong in the Armageddon thread. 

However, Daniel Andrews held out against the federal government bullies and won the day

After Victoria's long and difficult coronavirus lockdown, it's now the envy of the world http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-27/coronavirus-zero-cases-victorias-achievement/12815424

4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

However, Daniel Andrews held out against the federal government bullies and won the day

After Victoria's long and difficult coronavirus lockdown, it's now the envy of the world http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-27/coronavirus-zero-cases-victorias-achievement/12815424

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, his team have made a number of mistakes along the way. If we're talking envy of the world then I'd suggest that NSW should hold that mantle ahead of Victoria. We've had a lot more to deal with and managed it relatively well.

15 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Only took 4 months of harsh lockdown requirements ..... 

You would think any city/country that closed down for so long would have a much similar result.

Edited by Stokz
42 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Only took 4 months of harsh lockdown requirements ..... 

You would think any city/country that closed down for so long would have a much similar result.

On the same day back in july Victoria recorded 723 cases and the Uk recorded 763 cases:

Last Tues Vic recorded 1 new case and no deaths on the same day Uk recorded 15, 560 cases and 136 deaths.

Which would you prefer.  Well done Dan Andrews.

49 minutes ago, Ossified said:

On the same day back in july Victoria recorded 723 cases and the Uk recorded 763 cases:

Last Tues Vic recorded 1 new case and no deaths on the same day Uk recorded 15, 560 cases and 136 deaths.

Which would you prefer.  Well done Dan Andrews.

You do realize that UK is about 10 times the population of VIC, and much more densely populated. Uk's Deathrate based on your figures 0.87%.

I'm sure if UK locked down for 4mths with the same restrictions, their numbers  would be low as well.

They've tried to keep their economy as open as possible and learning to live with the virus.

1 hour ago, Stokz said:

You do realize that UK is about 10 times the population of VIC, and much more densely populated. Uk's Deathrate based on your figures 0.87%.

I'm sure if UK locked down for 4mths with the same restrictions, their numbers  would be low as well.

They've tried to keep their economy as open as possible and learning to live with the virus.

The UK has fooked up big time because Boris and his chums have focussed on Brexit and dropped the ball on Covid issues. My sister-in-law was amongst many who have been required to travel great distances just for a Covid test (5 hour round trip in her case)

3 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, his team have made a number of mistakes along the way. If we're talking envy of the world then I'd suggest that NSW should hold that mantle ahead of Victoria. We've had a lot more to deal with and managed it relatively well.

Imagine if Ruby Princess actually caused a larger outbreak than it did though

NSW escaping unscathed was extremely lucky 

Two words 

Ruby Princess

There’s a bit of luck in there too 

Look at the way the UK is laid out, pretty much a major city every 20 to 50 miles, in England at least. You have the West Yorkshire conurbation that includes the Leeds / Bradford area and that extends out towards Huddersfield. Then you have a very small gap of 10 -15 miles and then you are in the Manchester area which includes the likes of Wiga, Bolton, Blackburn..then these are very close to Blackpool and Liverpool...Then you could go on an on with Newcastle and Sunderland basically two cities joined together...I could go on.....

Imagine NSW and Vic being full of cities every 20 miles. 

Cities here are like their own islands. Sydney is surrounded by a ring of national parks and some smaller regional areas like Newcastle and Wollongong..both nothing like the UK major regional areas.

The UK ****ed up, but the task facing them was always much harder in say Darwin Lancashire to Darwin in the NT..

Australia and NZ sit in a favorable part of the world at times like this.

Edited by Smoggy
28 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Look at the way the UK is laid out, pretty much a major city every 20 to 50 miles, in England at least. You have the West Yorkshire conurbation that includes the Leeds / Bradford area and that extends out towards Huddersfield. Then you have a very small gap of 10 -15 miles and then you are in the Manchester area which includes the likes of Wiga, Bolton, Blackburn..then these are very close to Blackpool and Liverpool...Then you could go on an on with Newcastle and Sunderland basically two cities joined together...I could go on.....

Imagine NSW and Vic being full of cities every 20 miles. 

Cities here are like their own islands. Sydney is surrounded by a ring of national parks and some smaller regional areas like Newcastle and Wollongong..both nothing like the UK major regional areas.

The UK ****ed up, but the task facing them was always much harder in say Darwin Lancashire to Darwin in the NT..

Australia and NZ sit in a favorable part of the world at times like this.

I agree somewhat in what you say especially in regards to how lucky us and NZ have been and also comparative size and such, but do you think the actions of theTories...ie Boris....have aided or made it worse..? 

TBH I'm glad for our state Premiers.......Lib and Lab.....They did/have done a pretty good job. Thank god it wasn't left to Morrison.......:ninja:

:D

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic