Carl Robinson Appointed Wanderers Manager

I think this is a very positive move for WSW, time will tell if it is a successful move. I expect the next 3 weeks may tell a little more of the story by way of player appointments.

This is like any other business appointment, every day business gets it wrong on appointments and also gets it right.

My view is if the Robbo team is to be successful they need to be able to do their job and any roadblocks moved aside or out. 

Also the support from the shiny arse Management in allowing Robbo to appoint the correct playing staff to help him be successful.

32 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

The first thing out of Robinson's mouth after the usual "best facilities" spiel is about youth players and being a "learning environment".

We know our club ownership aren't interested in matching the spending of Sydney FC or Melbourne City. They cut loads of staff, they refused to pay wages through Covid like other clubs did. The salary cap is being slashed.

Lederer was talking about "doing our best" and "no guarantees" in the press conference and that it was significant how Robison performed with the mediocre, low budget Newcastle squad.

Robinson's next major input was about talking again about looking at the academy, at the young players and "providing pathways". He doesn't want to have two senior players in one position. It's literally the same thing Babbel used to talk about, how he would pick the younger player rather than the older player if they were at a similar level.

JP left because he didn't agree with the direction of the club. Read that summary and watch the press conference, so you can consider what Lederer, JT and Robinson are saying to determine what JP would have disagreed with.

And then consider if after what we've seen with the NPL squad and with the youth players that have managed to play for the first team last year if this direction of JT/Lederer/Robinson is going to help win trophies or not.

We are talking line JP was some successful manager poised to pay sexy football as opposed to a guy who watched us struggle against the mariners and thought you know what next week I’ll play exactly the same players and system 

the club has finally took some decisive action, and brought in a manager who had jets playing as form team with a Limited squad And chaos at board level 

and we want to pick fault

so now let’s all get behind 

Carlo Robinho 

Edited by StringerBellend

Results will dictate his future but I am actually feeling pretty positive about this.  Anyone who can get an average team (Jets) to do this in 10 games in charge must have a bit of talent surely, more importantly they were actually good to watch which would be a change.  v CCM 4-3 W, v WSW 1-1 (we were lucky), v Victory 1-1, v Perth 2-1 W, v Adel U 3-0 W, v Roar 0-1 L (Jets dominated, Roar scored and this meant Jets season was gone), v Melb C 2-1 W, v SFC 2-1 W, v CCM 0-0, v WU 1-0 W, v Nix 3-0 W.

Geez what we would give to go on a run like that!

Edited by scarcev
56 minutes ago, scarcev said:

Results will dictate his future but I am actually feeling pretty positive about this.  Anyone who can get an average team (Jets) to do this in 10 games in charge must have a bit of talent surely, more importantly they were actually good to watch which would be a change.  v CCM 4-3 W, v WSW 1-1 (we were lucky), v Victory 1-1, v Perth 2-1 W, v Adel U 3-0 W, v Roar 0-1 L (Jets dominated, Roar scored and this meant Jets season was gone), v Melb C 2-1 W, v SFC 2-1 W, v CCM 0-0, v WU 1-0 W, v Nix 3-0 W.

Geez what we would give to go on a run like that!

This! 

Well after watching that video, i believe this may well be a good appointment, he seems astute and forthright and i like the accountability tag he brought up, i like the vibe.

yes all the markers were there about the academy youngsters having a pathway to senior squad but really we were all expecting those soundbites weren't we, will be interested over the coming weeks the videos on training today with the Wanderers on his and his staff approach to coaching.

Good luck Carl.

2 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Well after watching that video, i believe this may well be a good appointment, he seems astute and forthright and i like the accountability tag he brought up, i like the vibe.

yes all the markers were there about the academy youngsters having a pathway to senior squad but really we were all expecting those soundbites weren't we, will be interested over the coming weeks the videos on training today with the Wanderers on his and his staff approach to coaching.

Good luck Carl.

Agreed, however we need 3 experienced/talented players thru the "spine" of the Team ie def midfield and attacking midfield. So, who he can get in the coming month or so will be critical inmho. 

1 hour ago, Ossified said:

Agreed, however we need 3 experienced/talented players thru the "spine" of the Team ie def midfield and attacking midfield. So, who he can get in the coming month or so will be critical inmho. 

going down that path, is NTS an option? or has that ship sailed? 

Well I can say that I'm glad the club has appointed Robinson compared to the other rumoured managers that were floating around (which were John Aloisi and Paul Okon).

You have to admit that what Robinson did when he was appointed as the Newcastle Jets was amazing. Arguably, they were an average team that was sitting on 11th and he managed to get them to 8th place with 7 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss during his tenure. Especially when he's literally thrown into the position mid-season. It really makes you wonder what would of happened if Robinson was given the position to be the Jets manager at the start of the season.

In my opinion, if Robinson was to bring any players from Jets to Wanderers, we might see Bernie Ibini. Robinson signed him while he was a manager at Vancouver Whitecaps. 

Also, it would be nice if the club actually allows him to sign some 1 or 2 foreign players (I know there's only one visa spot left unless Ziegler eventually gets his Australian citizenship) before the new season starts on the 27th December.

The MLS ends on 12th December so some of the players he had while at the Whitecaps and still playing the MLS have their contracts end on 31st December. One play I wish he did sign is either winger Kekuta Manneh, defender Kendall Waston or midfielder Jordan Mutch who have played at the Whitecaps while Robinson was in charge.

Anyway, I wish Robinson all the best and hope he brings success for the club...which they really need after 4 devastating seasons in a row. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

The owners consider the youth factory the crown jewel of the club. They poured roughly 20 million dollars of their own money into the facilities at Blacktown. That’s the investment they’ve made into the future of the club. Cheapskates? Lederer out?

The vision is having Westies play for the West at HAL level. A manager who ignores that vision will pay the price. Gombau did, and so has JP. Both showed no interest in youth development, did not go to youth games, did not nurture young talent. Both time the club was quick to react.

JT has history with the Jets, he had his finger on the pulse with the situation in Newcastle, and what Robinson’s situation was. The club wanted Robinson, once they were confident that they could make it happen they pulled the trigger with JP. JT out?

COVID-19 put the axe on HAL financials. The big/good name managers from the 19/20 season are all back in Europe, and have been “replaced” with Veart, Kisnorbo, Garcia, Moon, Brebner. No doubt there is someone similar in the pipeline for the Jets. No disrespect to any of these guys, but they have little or no coaching experience at professional level. Would we have welcomed any of them at WSW?

In February, Robinson got off the plane, took over the Jets on Monday, and we played them on Saturday. To everyone’s surprise, they had us under the pump. It was astonishing what Robinson had done with that very ordinary Jets squad in such a short period of time - and he backed it up with good results for the rest of the season. Very impressive. Kudos to McKinna of getting him and Miller into the country in the first place.

On paper at least, WSW are the only club who have upgraded their coaching group. On paper, Robinson/Miller/Davies look second to none in the HAL, their CVs look more accomplished than Team Popa's did back in 2012. Even in a non COVID-19 environment, that coaching group would be considered very solid and promising. In the current climate, it seems as good as it gets. Or would we have preferred Aloisi, Merrick, Okon?

As for Babbel: he made it know via the German media that the refs blatantly robbed WSW of crucial points, and that he lost his job because of it. That was certainly part of it. What Babbel didn’t say: he was part of that ongoing combative relationship with the refs, and he didn't know how and when to STFU.

What he also didn’t say was that the team lacked fitness, that the Alex Meier he signed arrived with a broken body (and realized in Australia that he didn’t want to be a football pro any longer...), and that the Mueller he signed took too long to come up to speed. There’s lessons to be learned in all of this.

Robinson and Miller look promising. Going by the Jets' performances, WSW will be fit and physically present, something we’ve been lacking ever since Popa did a Popa four years ago. Robinson taking “responsibility for all recruitment and management of the club’s A-League program” means that he is as powerful a manager we’ve had since Popa. I’d like to think that this is a good thing. Time will tell.

Welcome back FCB. I strongly agree with a lot of what you've said.

I'm personally excited to see what he can do with the current crop, youth and players he brings in.

My wife and I only have 'out of towner' memberships now due to moving down the coast. We still get up for a few games but I recently cancelled our auto-renewals with a view to re-assessing once we knew about when the season was starting and how the Wanderers were shaping up. Yesterday's news has tipped the scales and I'll be renewing both memberships shortly. I wasn't totally convinced when JPD was given a permanent role but accepted that it was the best we could do in difficult times. Yesterdays news suggests to me that we are about to turn a corner.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

The owners consider the youth factory the crown jewel of the club. They poured roughly 20 million dollars of their own money into the facilities at Blacktown. That’s the investment they’ve made into the future of the club. Cheapskates? Lederer out?

The vision is having Westies play for the West at HAL level. A manager who ignores that vision will pay the price. Gombau did, and so has JP. Both showed no interest in youth development, did not go to youth games, did not nurture young talent. Both time the club was quick to react.

JT has history with the Jets, he had his finger on the pulse with the situation in Newcastle, and what Robinson’s situation was. The club wanted Robinson, once they were confident that they could make it happen they pulled the trigger with JP. JT out?

COVID-19 put the axe on HAL financials. The big/good name managers from the 19/20 season are all back in Europe, and have been “replaced” with Veart, Kisnorbo, Garcia, Moon, Brebner. No doubt there is someone similar in the pipeline for the Jets. No disrespect to any of these guys, but they have little or no coaching experience at professional level. Would we have welcomed any of them at WSW?

In February, Robinson got off the plane, took over the Jets on Monday, and we played them on Saturday. To everyone’s surprise, they had us under the pump. It was astonishing what Robinson had done with that very ordinary Jets squad in such a short period of time - and he backed it up with good results for the rest of the season. Very impressive. Kudos to McKinna of getting him and Miller into the country in the first place.

On paper at least, WSW are the only club who have upgraded their coaching group. On paper, Robinson/Miller/Davies look second to none in the HAL, their CVs look more accomplished than Team Popa's did back in 2012. Even in a non COVID-19 environment, that coaching group would be considered very solid and promising. In the current climate, it seems as good as it gets. Or would we have preferred Aloisi, Merrick, Okon?

As for Babbel: he made it know via the German media that the refs blatantly robbed WSW of crucial points, and that he lost his job because of it. That was certainly part of it. What Babbel didn’t say: he was part of that ongoing combative relationship with the refs, and he didn't know how and when to STFU.

What he also didn’t say was that the team lacked fitness, that the Alex Meier he signed arrived with a broken body (and realized in Australia that he didn’t want to be a football pro any longer...), and that the Mueller he signed took too long to come up to speed. There’s lessons to be learned in all of this.

Robinson and Miller look promising. Going by the Jets' performances, WSW will be fit and physically present, something we’ve been lacking ever since Popa did a Popa four years ago. Robinson taking “responsibility for all recruitment and management of the club’s A-League program” means that he is as powerful a manager we’ve had since Popa. I’d like to think that this is a good thing. Time will tell.

Welcome back squire.

If our new coach gets us winning  I thought the RBB might sing the old Simon and Garfunkel hit ......

"Well here's to you Mr Robinson

Us Westies love you more than you will know .... hey hey hey

Well here's to you Mr Robinson

The Wanderers will love you till the end .... yeah yeah yeah"

.... something like that. 

What do you guys reckon?

Good times are upon us.

🤙👍

Robinson got results at the Jets by making the most of very little. That’s what WSW used to do in the early days under Popa which underpinned the successful culture of the club.

It’s that mentality and attitude which has disappeared from WSW in recent years now we have shiny training facilities and a new stadium. I hope Robinson can bring back that old school mentality and return the culture.

Admin Edit - Further discussion for Robinson at this thread link.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • mack locked this topic