Expiring Year 2022
Daniel Lopar (Foreign)
Dylan McGowan
Keanu Baccus
Vedran Janjetovic

Expiring Year 2023
Tass Mourdoukoutas

9 minutes ago, Davo said:

Squad doesn't look too bad at the moment, hopefully the un-performing players start to play well again in a new system and under Robinson. Should probably promote a few more youth and add a few good experienced senior players to have a well balanced squad. 

Compared to a fair few teams in the league (Vuck, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle etc) we have an experienced coach, retained most of our decent players and look to hopefully sign a few more which will sharpen up the squad.

Glad they've confirmed Lopar is staying although disappointed we lost Sullivan. Don't blame him for leaving as we never played him but I rated him whenever he did play, plus he's only 22.

10 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Squad doesn't look too bad at the moment, hopefully the un-performing players start to play well again in a new system and under Robinson. Should probably promote a few more youth and add a few good experienced senior players to have a well balanced squad. 

Compared to a fair few teams in the league (Vuck, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle etc) we have an experienced coach, retained most of our decent players and look to hopefully sign a few more which will sharpen up the squad.

Dylan McGowan
Vedran Janjetovic

these 2 are debatable imo as 2 performance

glad to see Muller is still with us.

Operating under the assumption we'll play four at the back with a 3 man midfield and a trio of attackers, our team would look like:

GK: Lopar (F)
DR: Georgievski
DC: Ziegler (F)
DC: Tass or McGowan
DL: Kamau (if he stays?)
DM: O'Doherty
MC: Baccus
AM: Grozos
MR: Yeboah
ML: Muller (F)
ST: Cox (F)

Hopefully we don't try to play Muller as the attacking mid again. He was okay but not the level we needed in that role as a stand in for Majewski. We would definitely need an attacking midfielder so Muller can play in his real position and as much as I like O'Doherty I'd rather a proper defensive mid like we had with Schewgler. If Ziegler hasn't got his citizenship then we can only get one of them as a foreign player, which would surely be an attacking mid leaving us to find another foreign DM.

If Kamau leaves that opens up a gap at left fullback, we'd probably move Georgievski to DL and then put Tate Russell back in the starting lineup at DR.

It doesn't look particularly strong considering we had basically a similar line-up last year. If we go back to a normal formation we should play better although I wouldn't expect miracles.

2 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Dylan McGowan
Vedran Janjetovic

these 2 are debatable imo as 2 performance

glad to see Muller is still with us.

Yes, McGowan was the one I was mainly referring to. I feel like he can do well in a different system and with a new coach. From my understanding he is the captain this season and got all the contracted players on board with salary cuts. 

I'd eventually like to see Vedran come back and absolutely kill it, however that certainly won't happen any time soon.

Muller will hopefully reach another level this season and should thrive against weaker opposition and a new style that hopefully benefits him.

14 minutes ago, Davo said:

Glad they've confirmed Lopar is staying although disappointed we lost Sullivan. Don't blame him for leaving as we never played him but I rated him whenever he did play, plus he's only 22.

Club didn't offer him a contract, he didn't get a choice.

7 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Yes, McGowan was the one I was mainly referring to. I feel like he can do well in a different system and with a new coach. From my understanding he is the captain this season and got all the contracted players on board with salary cuts. 

I'd eventually like to see Vedran come back and absolutely kill it, however that certainly won't happen any time soon.

Muller will hopefully reach another level this season and should thrive against weaker opposition and a new style that hopefully benefits him.

The worst defender at the club last year and he's getting made Captain lmao.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Would rather have Kamau than McGowan 

5 minutes ago, mack said:

Yes I know a bit strange. However this could all change under Robinson pending on who he brings in and who he thinks is best to fit the role. I would assume Dylan moved into the role simply because the captain left the club. 

1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Yes I know a bit strange. However this could all change under Robinson pending on who he brings in and who he thinks is best to fit the role. I would assume Dylan moved into the role simply because the captain left the club. 

McGowan was vice-captain last season 

7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

McGowan was vice-captain last season 

I know thats why I think that he moved into the captains role simply because the captain has left the club. 

Also the club still haven't made an official announcement that Majewski had left lol. I know he is in the 5th/6th div of Poland but they didn't even announce it at all.

Who made the call to release Sullivan?  Seems like it's rumoured for quite a while, maybe a bit premature.

Bruce Kamau I wouldn't be surprised if he move to Adelaide, remember reading somewhere a few weeks back, there was one player who didn't agree to terms, may have been him.

Do we have anyone currently listed as a marquee? Muller for example. If not, moving him there would free up additional funds if the club wants to improve the squad.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Put 2 overseas marquees in and a couple more experience local players and it will be more than competative.

Not having a go when I say this but I can't see us going for marquees when players have taken a pay cut........then again I may be proven wrong.:D

Cox would be the highest paid player at the club I figure. It's probably Muller after that. The "marquee" spot is just which two players are paid the most now.

8 minutes ago, papersun said:

Who made the call to release Sullivan?  Seems like it's rumoured for quite a while, maybe a bit premature.

Bruce Kamau I wouldn't be surprised if he move to Adelaide, remember reading somewhere a few weeks back, there was one player who didn't agree to terms, may have been him.

Do we have anyone currently listed as a marquee? Muller for example. If not, moving him there would free up additional funds if the club wants to improve the squad.

The player who didn't agree terms was a contracted player, Kamau is not a contracted player.

Sullivan wasn't offered a contract by JP, could get offered a deal by Robinson but would be strange to sign a player you released. 

Would assume Muller gets a marquee deal now that he is not an injury replacement.

14 minutes ago, mack said:

Cox would be the highest paid player at the club I figure. It's probably Muller after that. The "marquee" spot is just which two players are paid the most now.

The FFA changed their terminology from marquee to "designated player" in their salary cap blurb

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I hope to **** you're wrong, undeserving of captain.

Good to see Lopar has returned.

They must still be negotiating with Kamau for him not to be mentioned in either list yet.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Operating under the assumption we'll play four at the back with a 3 man midfield and a trio of attackers, our team would look like:

GK: Lopar (F)
DR: Georgievski
DC: Ziegler (F)
DC: Tass or McGowan
DL: Kamau (if he stays?)
DM: O'Doherty
MC: Baccus
AM: Grozos
MR: Yeboah
ML: Muller (F)
ST: Cox (F)

Hopefully we don't try to play Muller as the attacking mid again. He was okay but not the level we needed in that role as a stand in for Majewski. We would definitely need an attacking midfielder so Muller can play in his real position and as much as I like O'Doherty I'd rather a proper defensive mid like we had with Schewgler. If Ziegler hasn't got his citizenship then we can only get one of them as a foreign player, which would surely be an attacking mid leaving us to find another foreign DM.

If Kamau leaves that opens up a gap at left fullback, we'd probably move Georgievski to DL and then put Tate Russell back in the starting lineup at DR.

It doesn't look particularly strong considering we had basically a similar line-up last year. If we go back to a normal formation we should play better although I wouldn't expect miracles.

So we really need AM (desperately) and MR. Defence either needs to be taught how to play this season or to be upgraded too.

5 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

I hope to **** you're wrong, undeserving of captain.

I never said he is deserving of captain, but from what I have been told he is the captain (information from 3-4 weeks ago). 

More than likely it could change before the season starts.

2 hours ago, mack said:

Straight swap McGowan for NTS and make him captain (again)

1 hour ago, alexd said:

Straight swap McGowan for NTS and make him captain (again)

At (almost) 36? No thanks. That ship sailed a long time ago.

4 hours ago, sonar said:

Not having a go when I say this but I can't see us going for marquees when players have taken a pay cut........then again I may be proven wrong.:D

fair point how any club can justify to players marquees after enforcing pay cuts  ?

hopefully we can use the remaining 2 foreign spots well get those right and we will be ok 

Whilst it way too early to predict anything as it would appear youth is going to get more of a look in this year across the league more than any year in history of the league. Given our squad now unless some dramatic changes I expect us to struggle again. 
take the senior players - 

Cox can finish in the box when it’s on a platter for him but outside of that he was a shadow of someone like La Fondre in terms of all round game. 

Mcgowan and Zeigler will not get better, Zeigler is slower then me. If Tass doesn’t get a start this year it’s madness. Georgiveski is okay, lots of mongrel. 

Mueller is the one im probably optimistic on, in a better team he would be a gun. Imagine him with early popa squads. 

Odoherty and Baccus to me aren’t championship level another year with them won’t cut the mustard. 

anyway see how we go look way to go - I’d rather see what our youth is like then signing some more journey man 

I just don’t see how with an ownership structure we have that we are going to be able to compete, granted they pumped money into the academies is hasn’t paid off yet. Tass is the best thing to come through and he couldn’t even get a game - hence the rumours lederer getting p.issue at the lack of chance for youngsters. 
 Given how many have left the club and done nothing - it’s not surprising that any coach hasn’t wanted to play them - they just haven’t been that good! 

Edited by GunnerWanderer

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Whilst it way too early to predict anything as it would appear youth is going to get more of a look in this year across the league more than any year in history of the league. Given our squad now unless some dramatic changes I expect us to struggle again. 
take the senior players - 

Cox can finish in the box when it’s on a platter for him but outside of that he was a shadow of someone like La Fondre in terms of all round game. 

Mcgowan and Zeigler will not get better, Zeigler is slower then me. If Tass doesn’t get a start this year it’s madness. Georgiveski is okay, lots of mongrel. 

Mueller is the one im probably optimistic on, in a better team he would be a gun. Imagine him with early popa squads. 

Odoherty and Baccus to me aren’t championship level another year with them won’t cut the mustard. 

anyway see how we go look way to go - I’d rather see what our youth is like then signing some more journey man 

I just don’t see how with an ownership structure we have that we are going to be able to compete, granted they pumped money into the academies is hasn’t paid off yet. Tass is the best thing to come through and he couldn’t even get a game - hence the rumours lederer getting p.issue at the lack of chance for youngsters. 
 Given how many have left the club and done nothing - it’s not surprising that any coach hasn’t wanted to play them - they just haven’t been that good! 

On the lack of yoof getting a go, when we couldn't make the 6 last year, and the "senior" players playing like the didn't give a stuff, JPdM still didn't put the kids in. So I can understand the clubs frustration with that if you are just going through the motions in end of season games, might as well see if any of the yoof do step up.

On the squad, I think people underate the Parklea Messi, he's a very good young player and getting better each season. He is the only midfielder who carries the ball forward and looks to pass forward, he should also shoot more, he has a decent shot. I agree that another year of O'Doherty and Baccus won't do it, but like I say its finding somebody to play allongside the Parklea Messi.

On georgiveski, when playing for Victory he was great, for the Jets ok with a big of mongrel, for us seemed to be too busy complaining at referees, waving his hands a round theatrically and concentrating on amusing facebook clips, football wise he was as at fault as McGowan for our lapses. 

Its too early to say how well will go we only have 13 players signed and two foriegn spots left. I think we will see some decent players come in. The good thing with doing the JP to Carlo "the Llandrindod Wells Ancelotti" as he is now known is he still has time, and squad spots left to build a team, and he's also shown he can get decent results with somebody elses team 

18 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

On the lack of yoof getting a go, when we couldn't make the 6 last year, and the "senior" players playing like the didn't give a stuff, JPdM still didn't put the kids in. So I can understand the clubs frustration with that if you are just going through the motions in end of season games, might as well see if any of the yoof do step up.

On the squad, I think people underate the Parklea Messi, he's a very good young player and getting better each season. He is the only midfielder who carries the ball forward and looks to pass forward, he should also shoot more, he has a decent shot. I agree that another year of O'Doherty and Baccus won't do it, but like I say its finding somebody to play allongside the Parklea Messi.

On georgiveski, when playing for Victory he was great, for the Jets ok with a big of mongrel, for us seemed to be too busy complaining at referees, waving his hands a round theatrically and concentrating on amusing facebook clips, football wise he was as at fault as McGowan for our lapses. 

Its too early to say how well will go we only have 13 players signed and two foriegn spots left. I think we will see some decent players come in. The good thing with doing the JP to Carlo "the Llandrindod Wells Ancelotti" as he is now known is he still has time, and squad spots left to build a team, and he's also shown he can get decent results with somebody elses team 

to add to this I think a lot of teams in the league have lost a fair few players and most will be playing youth in various positions so everyone is in the same boat. 

This year there will be a good mix of players and won't just be the same recycled players year-in year-out. 

I'd hope with a full pre-season and a few new additions that Robinson can get the squad how he likes and has them playing some good footy, earning good results along the way.

I believe this season will be hard to predict, it will be hard to tell who will go well and who will struggle.

51 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

to add to this I think a lot of teams in the league have lost a fair few players and most will be playing youth in various positions so everyone is in the same boat. 

This year there will be a good mix of players and won't just be the same recycled players year-in year-out. 

I'd hope with a full pre-season and a few new additions that Robinson can get the squad how he likes and has them playing some good footy, earning good results along the way.

I believe this season will be hard to predict, it will be hard to tell who will go well and who will struggle.

Yep get a couple of decent players in and we’ll be fine. It’s the A League non of the teams are that strong, just need a couple of decent foreigners on top of solid local players and to be organised look at WU, Pheonix even roar last year far from stellar squads