Squad Development 2021

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

To be fair he wasn't really a product of our youth program as he had previously been at the AIS and our 'program' as such was in it's infancy. Now a solid NPL2 player. 

He did boss step overs, like one of those smart arses at Futsal, that you just want to kick

I heard Rugari on podcast talk about the upcoming A-league season. He talked about every other team except ours.

The one oblique comment about us he made was that teams stacked with youth were unlikely to do well.

2 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I heard Rugari on podcast talk about the upcoming A-league season. He talked about every other team except ours.

The one oblique comment about us he made was that teams stacked with youth were unlikely to do well.

He's a rusted on Smurf supporter (like his stable mate Bossi) He may well be right, however the likes of him, Arnold and others have no time for developing and giving young players experience via the A -League, but they keep harping on about youth this, youth that etc etc.

Hypocrites.  

10 minutes ago, Ossified said:

He's a rusted on Smurf supporter

I thought he was Roar supporter from the Postecoglou days. He was based in Brisbane till about 2 years ago.

30 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I thought he was Roar supporter from the Postecoglou days. He was based in Brisbane till about 2 years ago.

Could be, seems to me his allegiances may have changed from what iv'e read.

19 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Could be, seems to me his allegiances may have changed from what iv'e read.

Then we have a new axis of evil

Bossi-Rugari-Sydney FC 

I thought Rugari was Brisbane fan as well but may be because he use to write for the Roar but I am sure he isn't a Smurf fan.

Most of his comments surrounding Wanderers in the comming season and last season are how things have nose dived since we moved from the old Parra stadium and have failed to be at the finals since 2016/17 season. His been on a few TWG episode with Lucy and Nick Stoll and the general comments are:

• The fans need to come back,
  • The team we have at the moment isn't going to do anything and unless something drastic changes
  • we will be missing the finals for the forseeable future as the team isn't good enough against the competition

Its pretty much we have been saying on the forum.

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I thought Rugari was Brisbane fan as well but may be because he use to write for the Roar but I am sure he isn't a Smurf fan.

Most of his comments surrounding Wanderers in the comming season and last season are how things have nose dived since we moved from the old Parra stadium and have failed to be at the finals since 2016/17 season. His been on a few TWG episode with Lucy and Nick Stoll and the general comments are:

• The team we have at the moment isn't going to do anything and unless something drastic changes
  • we will be missing the finals for the forseeable future as the team isn't good enough against the competition

Is he wrong?

You left out when he said on TWG that Bossi was not a biased Smurf supporter and guess who agreed with him absolutely?.... Lucy Zelic. Surprise surprise.

Just to add to my previous post. Media writers/personalities are as entitled as anyone to support whom ever Team they wish. It's just the pretentious crap of I'm not biased and I only write or speak in a fair and balanced way that gets to me.

Edited by Ossified
34 minutes ago, Ossified said:

You left out when he said on TWG that Bossi was not a biased Smurf supporter and guess who agreed with him absolutely?.... Lucy Zelic. Surprise surprise.

Well it was a while ago... But the general consensus is that a strong Western Sydney Wanderers is needed by the A-league

1 minute ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Well it was a while ago... But the general consensus is that a strong Western Sydney Wanderers is needed by the A-league

Couldn't agree more, I think that if both ourselves and Victory are performing well ( as we both have the largest and more dedicated   supporters)  the A League is in a much better place and media figures and attendances would reflect that.

What i think is actually needed is a season or two where us and ESFC are genuinely strong, both at the top, and fighting for honours...so long as we win of course...

Edited by Smoggy
6 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

It's probably a good thing that no one is rating us this season. No one rated us in our inaugural season and we all know what eventuated.

3 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Yeah but we had Shinji, Hersi and,of course Dino!!!  Along with Fathead, the Croation-Italian enforcers, the Head-banded German (Polenz) and the Great Ante!! NTS and the Captain at the back.  Mooy off the bench!! It was a pretty good line-up by today's standards of our team.

Shinji was a proper marquee. His quality stood out.

I rate Schwegler up there as well but he was a different style of player to Shinji. 

Tbh we really haven't got our marquees or visa players right since. A lot of duds among very few gems. The Spaniards Alberto and Andrieu were very good as well as was Riera on his day. The rest......meh.

6 hours ago, WHACKO said:

So after he acclimatizes and gets match fit he should be right to go by March. Oh dear.

Teams from other countries come here to play for the world cup qualifications just two weeks before their game and they never complain about fitness, and our players were playing in Europe , two weeks resting in hotel will start training fresh and they all should be fit and ready to start on the 27-12-2020.

1 hour ago, mintoff said:

Teams from other countries come here to play for the world cup qualifications just two weeks before their game and they never complain about fitness, and our players were playing in Europe , two weeks resting in hotel will start training fresh and they all should be fit and ready to start on the 27-12-2020.

Dorrans already had 14 days in quarantine in Scotland. So 28 days plus flights later?

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Dorrans already had 14 days in quarantine in Scotland. So 28 days plus flights later?

Yeah it's going to be a tough couple of months for him heat wise, he is coming from cold bleak winter Scotland, but he seems a decent character hope he turns out as professional in attitude as Schwegler was, i'm sure he will .

Not sure if we're anywhere near the minimum numbers required for an A League squad, anyway I have a signing suggestion, Patrick Antelmi, ex Blacktown City, Wollongong and Sydney United striker.

He would offer something different to the players we have in that position at he moment, height for one thing and a bit of football nous.

Here are some highlights, there are later ones available but I couldn't resist the opportunity for some Blacktown City action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEWEe5kTi8

On 25/11/2020 at 11:41 AM, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/robinsons-reaction-draw

"I'm still looking to try and add three, possibly four, players to a group of young players.

Any Australians on the radar? Maybe Terry Antonis from what I have heard?

Maybe even Spira, Dario, Mrcela or Irvine?

My expectation is that we play the first three rounds with the current squad plus Dorrans. There is nothing much on the market right now that would not just add quality, it will be a somewhat different story when the Jan 21 transfer window opens.