Squad Development 2021

12 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Yeah but we had Shinji, Hersi and,of course Dino!!!  Along with Fathead, the Croation-Italian enforcers, the Head-banded German (Polenz) and the Great Ante!! NTS and the Captain at the back.  Mooy off the bench!! It was a pretty good line-up by today's standards of our team.

In hindsight, the 12/13 team was not given enough credit at the time. Ante, Bridgey, Beauchamp, NTS, Mooy, D'Apuzzo, Tarek were all fringe U23/NT players. As an A-League startup we were allowed to have up to seven imports, and Popa opted for six. That one additional player sure made a difference. On paper at least it was a very strong starting 11 plus bench, and Team Popa sure made them perform.

17 hours ago, WHACKO said:

So after he acclimatizes and gets match fit he should be right to go by March. Oh dear.

Ono stepped out of the plane the week the league started, and was on the pitch in Rd1. At the time there was a big ? behind his name, he was ready to retire, and WSW prevented that. Signing him was quite risky, and it required ongoing monitoring. We were all very lucky that it worked out.

Dorrans is in a different phase of his career, comes without that ?. If we get the player Kenny Miller remembers from Glasgow Rangers then it will be happy days. If he turns out to be another Alex Meier with a broken body and does not want to be here then, then it will be a case of same old, same old.

17 minutes ago, FCB said:

In hindsight, the 12/13 team was not given enough credit at the time. Ante, Bridgey, Beauchamp, NTS, Mooy, D'Apuzzo, Tarek were all fringe U23/NT players. As an A-League startup we were allowed to have up to seven imports, and Popa opted for six. That one additional player sure made a difference. On paper at least it was a very strong starting 11 plus bench, and Team Popa sure made them perform.

Its easy though with hindsight to see what a solid squad it was, but at the time it was seen as last chance saloon for a lot of those players. The king had been given up on, ante was let go by victory, mooy was kicking round lower divisions in UK looking for a gig. Popa took a rag tag bunch of old pros and "has beens" and turned them into winners. If it was baseball they would make a Kevin Costner film out of it.

12 hours ago, sonar said:

Shinji was a proper marquee. His quality stood out.

I rate Schwegler up there as well but he was a different style of player to Shinji. 

Tbh we really haven't got our marquees or visa players right since. A lot of duds among very few gems. The Spaniards Alberto and Andrieu were very good as well as was Riera on his day. The rest......meh.

Exactly. The last time all five imports worked out was in S2. The last time we had a quality keeper AND a quality striker together on the pitch the club won the ACL. Also, the team disturbing lack of fitness ever since Popa left. If WSW gets these essentials right then at the very least the team will be competitive.

I think we still serious weaknesses in Defense unless we can get Georgeski , Russel , Ziegler , Tass and Macgowan performing every week are mid table or worse , add Baccus and Doherty  

Will Dorrans i good to replace Schwiegler ,

will the pie eater turn up fitter than last season  ? 

Will we Utilise Muller correctly   

Lots of Questions hey !!!!

2 minutes ago, FCB said:

Exactly. The last time all five imports worked out was in S2. The last time we had a quality keeper AND a quality striker together on the pitch the club won the ACL. Also, the team disturbing lack of fitness ever since Popa left. If WSW gets these essentials right then at the very least the team will be competitive.

The season 4 team was ace, Romeo killed it, we got 4/5 for our imports right, then we moved to SoP and the club let them all go and brought crap in, we haven't recovered since

Dimas was excellent that year too

Alberto is the best centre back we have had

Andreu was sexual

Pio was the only let down, but Santa covered it

Also how good was Mitch that year? 

That team played the best footy we have played

4 minutes ago, Keithie said:

I think we still serious weaknesses in Defense unless we can get Georgeski , Russel , Ziegler , Tass and Macgowan performing every week are mid table or worse , add Baccus and Doherty  

Will Dorrans i good to replace Schwiegler ,

will the pie eater turn up fitter than last season  ? 

Will we Utilise Muller correctly   

Lots of Questions hey !!!!

#nogrozosnoparty

This will be the year of the Parklea Messi too

Edited by StringerBellend
1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

The season 4 team was ace, Romeo killed it, we got 4/5 for our imports right, then we moved to SoP and the club let them all go and brought crap in, we haven't recovered since

Dimas was excellent that year too

Alberto is the best centre back we have had

Andreu was sexual

Pio was the only let down, but Santa covered it

Also how good was Mitch that year? 

That team played the best footy we have played

My nickname for Castelen was "Lucky Dip"...because if he got picked you never knew what you would get.....diamonds or rocks......no in betweens.....lol

Just now, sonar said:

My nickname for Castelen was "Lucky Dip"...because if he got picked you never knew what you would get.....diamonds or rocks......no in betweens.....lol

We wouldn't have got to grand final without him, on his day he was in a different class

55 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Unlikely. Cox is what he is..a fat Southend reject..but he is OUR fat Southend reject and expect him to do well for us this season.

His time with us may see him end up being the fittest he has ever been. Playing in summer sorts players out. Overweight, slow players get sorted pretty quickly.

I mean no disrespect to Alex Meier when I say he got got caught out.....he may well of played another year or two in Europe....but an Aussie summer got him.

FCB is correct about Dorrans as well. He may be OK or he may wilt. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

so not much change in the imports this year, how much stronger will we be?

Lopar - clearly quality 

Mueller - quality but underwhelmed a little last season, I think this year he will have a big season though 

Dorrans - Only new If he is fit and motivated should be a top player in the a league. Is he going to be a step on Pirim though? 

Cox - Smart player, but looked slow at times, shocking miss against city  

zielger - not been three same since injury 

so need them to step up from last year 

3 hours ago, papersun said:

Not sure if we're anywhere near the minimum numbers required for an A League squad, anyway I have a signing suggestion, Patrick Antelmi, ex Blacktown City, Wollongong and Sydney United striker.

He would offer something different to the players we have in that position at he moment, height for one thing and a bit of football nous.

Here are some highlights, there are later ones available but I couldn't resist the opportunity for some Blacktown City action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEWEe5kTi8

Decent player at NPL level but if he was going to make it at A League level it would have happened before now. Probably at his best with Blacktown.

4 hours ago, FCB said:

This lack of fitness was very evident in popa's last year and Gombeau's. One could set one's watch almost to the minutes (usually between 60 and 65 mins) when the whole team seemed to come to a standstill and boy our opposition could sense it straight away.

just hope that Robinson and Miller can set the team up to last the 90 minutes this season.

19 minutes ago, Ossified said:

This lack of fitness was very evident in popa's last year and Gombeau's. One could set one's watch almost to the minutes (usually between 60 and 65 mins) when the whole team seemed to come to a standstill and boy our opposition could sense it straight away.

just hope that Robinson and Miller can set the team up to last the 90 minutes this season.

At the club they did the maths. Had the games ended after 75 minutes last season, WSW would have come 2nd in the table. How something like that could happen with an EPL grade fitness coach I will never understand. It certainly was a different story with Marcelo Martins being in charge in S7. Baffling.

12 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I think that "we" got caught out with Meier !!

Schwegler suggested him. MB brought him. Little did they know that he was not the player any longer they remembered, they player we thought we'd signed disappeared after Rd2. He came with a broken body, and realized in Sydney that he didn't want to be a football pro any longer.

35 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Robinson made some interesting comments after the Mariners closed doors friendly.....said something to the effect that he wanted to play the squad 'tired' to see how they all stacked up. I can only assume that they had heavy training sessions leading up to that game.

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

We wouldn't have got to grand final without him, on his day he was in a different class

What was the ratio of 'on' days to 'off' days? From memory there were more of the latter !!

5 hours ago, sonar said:

For the first time I can remember the squad has been relatively stable tbh. We lost Duke, Jurman, Schwegler. Gained Dorrans.

Going to be interesting to see how we go. 

Yeah but that 'stable' squad finished well down the table !!

12 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Robinson made some interesting comments after the Mariners closed doors friendly.....said something to the effect that he wanted to play the squad 'tired' to see how they all stacked up. I can only assume that they had heavy training sessions leading up to that game.

Yeah I think he said they did a very tough training session right before that game. I think he wants to break mental barriers within the team.

If they were able to perform how they did under fatigue they should hopefully be quite threatening when fully fit.

Don't think our imports are to the quality we need, i'd say 2/3 of the 5 are good enough.

Defence still isn't very impressive and I don't think we have a proven goalscorer unless Cox gets fit enough.

Hopefully we have unearthed a few hidden gems like Cancar, Lopane, Lesiotis (seemed very highly rated in a struggling victory side) etc.

On 04/12/2020 at 11:32 AM, MartinTyler said:
On 04/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, papersun said:

Not sure if we're anywhere near the minimum numbers required for an A League squad, anyway I have a signing suggestion, Patrick Antelmi, ex Blacktown City, Wollongong and Sydney United striker.

He would offer something different to the players we have in that position at he moment, height for one thing and a bit of football nous.

Here are some highlights, there are later ones available but I couldn't resist the opportunity for some Blacktown City action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEWEe5kTi8

Decent player at NPL level but if he was going to make it at A League level it would have happened before now. Probably at his best with Blacktown.

I see where you're coming from but I reckon that we need a least a  couple more squad players for the season.

I have noticed that Wellington and Western United in particular are still trialling a lot of players, I think we are a bit short at the moment.

2 hours ago, papersun said:

I see where you're coming from but I reckon that we need a least a  couple more squad players for the season.

I have noticed that Wellington and Western United in particular are still trialling a lot of players, I think we are a bit short at the moment.

He'd probably prefer to be playing full time with Sydney United than a mere squad player (not even benchie?) for us. Rudan signed him for Western for the restart last season before letting him go. He only made 1 subs appearance in the 90th minute. Don't get me wrong as I really rate him but perhaps his real opportunity has passed.

Edited by MartinTyler
autocorrect
2 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

He'd probably prefer to be playing full time with Sydney United than a mere squad player (not even benchie?) for us. Rudan signed him for Western for the restart last season before letting him go. He only made 1 subs appearance in the 90th minute. Don't get me wrong as I really rate him but perhaps his real opportunity has passed.

We are fine for squad players, not like we have ACl to deal with, we need to sign a player who will make a difference